View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

redcucumber

One thing I think ETH has been is fair to the players. He stuck with Antony over Sancho because the former wasn’t completely shit at the time and was excellent defensively. As soon as one of the wide player - Garnacho - showed both quality as well as work rate, he’s dropped his supposed pet Antony for a prolonged period. He didn’t have any hesitation in dropping Rashford when he was out of line or Sancho when he misbehaved. He took a hard stance on Ronaldo which was a huge risk for the greater good of the team. For all the calls for Pellistri he was never good enough for us either.

So at least on Amad I have faith in ETH that the kid mustn’t be showing the same quality / fight on the training ground that Garnacho / Hojlund do. That - especially attitude and intensity - should precede being given chances in the first team.

I don’t rate the job he’s doing of course. His tenure at the club is hanging by a thread and rightfully so as the team is playing rubbish football. But just on the player treatment, I have been happy with him.
It's not so much to do with fairness as it is his ability to judge a player's ability and how they might fit, for me. Letting Garner and Hannibal go and getting Amrabat in, letting Fernandez go and getting Reguilon in (and then letting Reguilon go leaving us with no fit left backs - why was he ever willing to rely on Malacia coming back?!), playing Forson over Amad/not giving Amad any minutes whatsoever (Pellistri got minutes - has he ever been thought of as a bigger talent than Diallo?), desperately wanting Antony here, wanting Mount but thinking him and Bruno could play in a double pivot. So many things have gone wrong this season. He also seems quite stubborn and I don't think he's got the bollox to change tack if necessary.

Litch

It's not so much to do with fairness as it is his ability to judge a player's ability and how they might fit, for me. Letting Garner and Hannibal go and getting Amrabat in, letting Fernandez go and getting Reguilon in (and then letting Reguilon go leaving us with no fit left backs - why was he ever willing to rely on Malacia coming back?!), playing Forson over Amad/not giving Amad any minutes whatsoever (Pellistri got minutes - has he ever been thought of as a bigger talent than Diallo?), desperately wanting Antony here, wanting Mount but thinking him and Bruno could play in a double pivot. So many things have gone wrong this season. He also seems quite stubborn and I don't think he's got the bollox to change tack if necessary.
About right. When the shit then hits the fan (literally) brings a player on with 15 mins to go, often not in their best position, we are losing and if they then dont win us the game, they are not ready!!!
EtH problem is he doesnt like to be proven wrong, so he doesnt allow players the opportunity to do so....

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Seems people are just buying the Ramadan explanation in order to accuse others of hysteria but as I understand it he didn’t just deactivate his accounts but also specifically removed all United related things? Doesn’t make sense.

Agreed. I hate it that he probably had dogs abuse online after deleting United related stuff, but I find it quite difficult to see him use Ramadan as an excuse for deleting/hiding all United related photos off his Instagram/Twitter.
Why keep Sunderland stuff up? I saw some people saying whether it’s “Red Devils” etc but surely you’d be smart and just deactivate social media all together.

He’s clearly been told something that he’s not getting minutes, or it’s pent up frustration and he’s just throwing his toys out of the pram.

I sympathise with him because he should have had more cameos than what he’s had, but this sort of mentality is childish.

dutchred

I sympathise with him because he should have had more cameos than what he’s had, but this sort of mentality is childish.

It may be childish, but for him very frustrating. ETH has given Antony millions of chances and Amad almost nothing. Unless he's being rubbish in training ( I can't beleive that given his Sunderland performances), there must be something very personal going on between ETH and him or probably the main reason is ETH being faithfu to his own buy

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It may be childish, but for him very frustrating. ETH has given Antony millions of chances and Amad almost nothing. Unless he's being rubbish in training ( I can't beleive that given his Sunderland performances), there must be something very personal going on between ETH and him or probably the main reason is ETH being faithfu to his own buy
The notion that Antony is regularly preferred to Amad is basically a myth. There's only been a handful of games where they've both been fit/available and both of them have been barely involved at all during this period. Antony has made a few cameos but that's obviously because he's a good defender (which Amad, for all his qualities, is not) and these cameos have come when we're desperately holding onto a lead.

Fallon d'Floor

One thing I think ETH has been is fair to the players. He stuck with Antony over Sancho because the former wasn’t completely shit at the time and was excellent defensively. As soon as one of the wide player - Garnacho - showed both quality as well as work rate, he’s dropped his supposed pet Antony for a prolonged period. He didn’t have any hesitation in dropping Rashford when he was out of line or Sancho when he misbehaved. He took a hard stance on Ronaldo which was a huge risk for the greater good of the team. For all the calls for Pellistri he was never good enough for us either.

So at least on Amad I have faith in ETH that the kid mustn’t be showing the same quality / fight on the training ground that Garnacho / Hojlund do. That - especially attitude and intensity - should precede being given chances in the first team.

I don’t rate the job he’s doing of course. His tenure at the club is hanging by a thread and rightfully so as the team is playing rubbish football. But just on the player treatment, I have been happy with him.
I don't fully agree with this. ten Hag has made some strange calls with the likes of Hannibal and Pellistri.

I don't actually rate Hannibal that highly. However, he scored off the bench vs Brighton and followed it up with a good pressing performance vs Burnley (started) in the next game, only to find himself on the bench for the next 6 PL games in a row.

Pellistri did well off the bench vs Fulham, but then barely featured over the next 4 PL games. One sub appearance.

There's no way that Amad isn't a better player than Forson. ten Hag actually reminds me of LvG in terms of his selection of certain youngsters. I don't think Kambwala or Forson will make it here long term, but ten Hag likes them. LvG liked CBJ and Blackett. Both ended up elsewhere in the end.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Really not fussed about him. Sell for whatever we can get.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's no doubt Amad has been mistreated. Doesn't mean ten hag has to like him, think he's realized the physical needs required for this league and that basically rules out Amad (which I've said a few times... It's just dumb to spend so much money on a kid with 0 professional experience, especially one with very clear physical limitations).

But Amad deserves clarity for his own sake. Why get pulled out of the Ivory Coast squad or asked to stay to focus on his United career and then not get a chance? Why get told to not go back out on loan, and then not get a chance (in 2 windows)? He clearly has talent, at least give him some game time if you're telling him to stay back and not go on loan. It's basically a waste of a year in his development at a vital point in his career, who wouldn't be pissed off in his situation?

Stadjer

There's no doubt Amad has been mistreated. Doesn't mean ten hag has to like him, think he's realized the physical needs required for this league and that basically rules out Amad (which I've said a few times... It's just dumb to spend so much money on a kid with 0 professional experience, especially one with very clear physical limitations).

But Amad deserves clarity for his own sake. Why get pulled out of the Ivory Coast squad or asked to stay to focus on his United career and then not get a chance? Why get told to not go back out on loan, and then not get a chance (in 2 windows)? He clearly has talent, at least give him some game time if you're telling him to stay back and not go on loan. It's basically a waste of a year in his development at a vital point in his career, who wouldn't be pissed off in his situation?
Was it dumb when Real Madrid signed Vinicius Junior for even more money when Vini was just a young frail player out of Brazil? I dont think it is dumb but more of a medium risk (too expensive to be low risk i suppose), potential very high reward gamble.

Crimson King

Was it dumb when Real Madrid signed Vinicius Junior for even more money when Vini was just a young frail player out of Brazil? I dont think it is dumb but more of a medium risk (too expensive to be low risk i suppose), potential very high reward gamble.
It's a fair example, but I'd argue it's much easier landing in la liga than the EPL as a youngster from SA, especially if you're not blessed with physicality.

iHicksy

It is - and i don't disagree. But you know, I don't think deleting things on social media is that much of a big deal. He is an actual child. when you think we have had multiple players raping women, having affairs with their brothers wives, slapping phones out of fans hands i don't think it's that much of a big deal, it's a shame his mentality isn't better - but again he is a child.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Vinicius is among the fastest players in the world. Amad is basically like Sancho with his pace. It means that as a young player with 0 experience, you don't even know if he'll be able to just bail himself out with his pace at professional level. What top level winger these days isn't just really quick?

It's fine to go for those players when you are set as a team. Don't waste money on them when you are a mess. It's a huge risk and rebuilding. And go for the right ones (easier said than done, but a winger with little pace is a bad start).

lex talionis

It’s hard to see what the justification for the treatment of Amad is. A shit Antony is humiliation enough, but then to be passed over for Forson? Absurd.

Last edited:

luke511

We don’t need players that score goals and create chances whilst excelling at keeping hold of possession in the final third, let’s sell him so our great form can continue. Big brain out.

GazTheLegend

Man Utd fans on redcafe said:
our players aren't good enough we need to be more ruthless
Also Man Utd fans on redcafe said:
we need to give more chances to players that clearly aren't rated by our staff and have looked abysmal whenever they've played for us! And our manager who has given debuts to multiple footballers doesn't trust youth or something!
Many such cases. Amad Diallo isn't a great player, and will probably never be the standard we need, so it's the right decision to let him go. He did well in the championship, maybe he can work his way up from there, but it's pretty obvious at this point that (for instance) Garnacho is and always will be the better player, and Diallo will never, ever be at Bruno Fernandes or Mason Mounts level so he simply won't make it as a 10 for us, he's too slight and a defensive liability to make it as a 6 or 8, and he's too slow to be a winger. He'd be a good 10 for the right team, that's not us.

SER19

I like Diallo. I think he shows real promise. But equally, we need to be more ruthless. Okay, it took ten hag too long to take antony out of the team, but he cant be accused of not giving players chances. There must be a reason he just doesnt fancy him, remember the player we say excelling for sunderland is the player we loaned out because he was judged not ready. If ultimately we decide he isnt good enough, Ill only mourn his sale if we see him kick on brilliantly and prove us wrong. No point overthinking anything otherwise.

Bondi77

Seems people are just buying the Ramadan explanation in order to accuse others of hysteria but as I understand it he didn’t just deactivate his accounts but also specifically removed all United related things? Doesn’t make sense.
With the way he has been treated this season he has probably forgotten who he plays for.

The Substitute

I like Diallo. I think he shows real promise. But equally, we need to be more ruthless. Okay, it took ten hag too long to take antony out of the team, but he cant be accused of not giving players chances. There must be a reason he just doesnt fancy him, remember the player we say excelling for sunderland is the player we loaned out because he was judged not ready.
Or look at it the other way, ETH has shown to fancy the wrong players as well, which is why I'm doubting his decision in this case.

Forson ahead of Amad is a disgrace, and Forson predictably buckled as well.

No,ETH is not always right

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Or look at it the other way, ETH has shown to fancy the wrong players as well, which is why I'm doubting his decision in this case.

I think we've got some wingers in the U18s who can become better than any of the prospects in the first team, bar Garnacho maybe. Not worried if Amad, Pellistri and Forson all move on really.

SER19

Really? Hasnt ten hag brought garnacho and mainoo into the first team? They're teenagers playing key roles - his judgement is perfect on those counts.

luke511

Really? Hasnt ten hag brought garnacho and mainoo into the first team? They're teenagers playing key roles - his judgement is perfect on those counts.
Garnacho and Mainoo are open goal tap ins, they’re both wonderkid talents that any manager with half a brain would’ve successfully integrated into the team. It took one of the best goals the club’s ever seen to get Garnacho regularly starting after over a full season of Antony being stinky, and Mainoo’s return from injury came at a time where we’re starved of deep midfielders so he didn’t have any other choice.

It’s going to take an injury to get Amad to be given a fair run, similar to Antony being in Brazil when Garnacho broke into the side, and Casemiro out injured when Mainoo returned.

macheda14

Garnacho and Mainoo are open goal tap ins, they’re both wonderkid talents that any manager with half a brain would’ve successfully integrated into the team. It took one of the best goals the club’s ever seen to get Garnacho regularly starting after over a full season of Antony being stinky, and Mainoo’s return from injury came at a time where we’re starved of deep midfielders so he didn’t have any other choice. He’s nurtured them well but I wouldn’t give him too much credit.
I mean there are a lot of reports that the reason we didn’t go in for a CM was because ETH believed in Mainoo. It was his injury in pre season that led us to bringing in Amrabat. Mainoo was very much in our plans from the off.

luke511

I mean there are a lot of reports that the reason we didn’t go in for a CM was because ETH believed in Mainoo. It was his injury in pre season that led us to bringing in Amrabat. Mainoo was very much in our plans from the off.
I don’t recall those reports but if it’s true then it’s pretty foolish, we needed a 6/8 even with Mainoo. Do you have a source?

Dannn411

He has every right to be annoyed because the players playing ahead of him have us in 6th, with +2 goal difference, second worst attacking team in the league and out of every competition bar the FA Cup by January. There is literally no justification whatsoever for not giving him a sustained opportunity.

For those saying he is not good enough or he is not United calibre. Wake up and smell the coffee. This is not Fergie's United. Just about anybody with a fecking pulse is United calibre these days and he is far better than "anybody with a pulse." He was easily the best United youngster I've seen at youth level in many years. It was far too easy for him. He went to Sunderland and the championship was easy for him too. He more than deserves his chance.

I hope he can wait out Ten Hag and then the next manager can give him a shot.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

There is literally no justification whatsoever for not giving him a sustained opportunity.
You're United manager for a week...who are you dropping for the game vs Liverpool?

- Hojlund -
Rashford - Bruno - Garnacho

Dannn411

You're United manager for a week...who are you dropping for the game vs Liverpool?

- Hojlund -
Rashford - Bruno - Garnacho
Bruno or Rashford. Take your pick. Literal logs of wood would be more effective than those two have been this season. Plus Hojlund's injured anyways. He'd also be the first attacker off the bench because I would have banished Antony to the reserves a few months ago (I might have tried to sell him in January) and Forson is not even close to first team calibre.

Offsideagain

Why ETH didn't play him after Hojlund was injured says it all. One of them has fallen out with the other. The lad is probably being 'advised' by his agent who is probably looking for another pay day by getting Amad a transfer. He was brilliant at Sunderland and would put in a better shift than Rashford, but politics have spoiled his chances now.

Dan_F

He has every right to be annoyed because the players playing ahead of him have us in 6th, with +2 goal difference, second worst attacking team in the league and out of every competition bar the FA Cup by January. There is literally no justification whatsoever for not giving him a sustained opportunity.

For those saying he is not good enough or he is not United calibre. Wake up and smell the coffee. This is not Fergie's United. Just about anybody with a fecking pulse is United calibre these days and he is far better than "anybody with a pulse." He was easily the best United youngster I've seen at youth level in many years. It was far too easy for him. He went to Sunderland and the championship was easy for him too. He more than deserves his chance.

I hope he can wait out Ten Hag and then the next manager can give him a shot.
Come off it.

Pickle85

Gary Nacho. He's still raw and shouldn't be played into the ground like Ten Hag seems intent on doing.
You think that Liverpool in the cup is the time to give Amad a run out? Not sure about that. Bring him on second half, sure, but start him? Nah.

Pickle85

I may have missed the context of the post. No I wouldn't drop Gary for Amad today but I'd give him a chance against Brentford or Bournemouth.
Yeah, I've certainly no issue with him getting a run out soon. It's not like we're firing on all cylinders as we are!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Love the aggression, effort and energy he brought to the team. His lack of composure for the second yellow, not so much. But it’s understandable, he knows what a big goal that was.