Amad Diallo | Rangers loan watch

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have huge faith. The ability is obvious, and he’s still young. I’d be keen to see how he does should we become a football team.

ElBarto

Not even remotely similar situations but good effort.
Hope I'm wrong of course but to splash that much cash on an unknown quantity with a handful of starts who is unable to consistently start for Rangers doesnt bode well, hence the similarity on the surface. Of course there are loads of variables to consider (not claiming to be a Rangers expert) but speaking objectively particularly where there are so many glaring gaps in the squad that 30odd mill could have been spent better elsewhere

Glorio

He's going to get more opportunities I feel. He started the last game, and had it not been for the red card, that would have been a bit more game time under his belt. With the injuries they have, he'll start a few more before the season is done.

I'll reiterate what someone has said on here, we have a tendency to underestimate the Scottish league but Rangers and Celtic are a lot more decent than people realise. Rangers didn't fluke their way to the Europa League semis. I've watched a few of their games and they've mostly outclassed their opponents, particularly at home.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I have huge faith. The ability is obvious, and he’s still young. I’d be keen to see how he does should we become a football team.
Considering his technical ability you'd certainly think ten Hag would find a use for him.

ElBarto

Dalot is a better example. Played 6 games for Porto when we bought him, like Diallo had played 4 games for Atalanta.

I get the idea is to get in early before their value skyrockets but it's an incredibly risky strategy
It's a strategy we're awful at. Liverpool seem decent at it (all those 15m+ transfers to Bournemouth) and Chelsea are the masters at stockpiling young talent to then sell on for a profit. We always get below market value for our players so we should just pause and reflect. Pellistiri and Amad cost how much?

Grande

To be fair Hannibal is a year younger cost 4m without adds on. If you are going to include Hannibal's adds on then you should include Amad's adds on of 35m or something. James Wilson killed it in our academy and didn't perform at senior level. If Amad isn't going to be used at all next season and we need funds, I wouldn't mind moving on from Amad because it hasn't been worked well between us and him. I'm sure there will be better club that can maximise his true potential. Of course, if we don't need fund or he's part of the manager's plan next season then I would keep Amad. We shouldn't be stopping this guy's development if we don't know how to manage and develop him.
With a new manager and a new playing styke incoming, that’s way too many ‘if’s’ to end up with a ‘should’, if you get my meaning.

I think the only thing we should by now, is let Ten Hag take a look at him in pre-season and make an evaluation. If he thinks Amad lacks too much to get opportunities, if he thinks the money saved holds more value than his potential after another loan, he should do as he sees fit, also in relation to what RW alternatives we manage to have by that time.

AltiUn

Hope I'm wrong of course but to splash that much cash on an unknown quantity with a handful of starts who is unable to consistently start for Rangers doesnt bode well, hence the similarity on the surface. Of course there are loads of variables to consider (not claiming to be a Rangers expert) but speaking objectively particularly where there are so many glaring gaps in the squad that 30odd mill could have been spent better elsewhere
There's no similarities at all. Bebe was signed off the back of a recommendation from Quieroz, who happened share an agent with Bebe, only a month after signing for his previous club. There was never any hype or promise surrounding him and was signed in dubious circumstances which even prompted a police investigation.

Amad was the best player at one of the best academies in Italy, who was being followed by City after he tore their youth team a new one in the Youth League, and was signed due to a panic on missing out on Sancho. Regarded by our scouts as being the best U19 in Europe after Ansu Fati.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
There's no similarities at all. Bebe was signed off the back of a recommendation from Quieroz, who happened share an agent with Bebe, only a month after signing for his previous club. There was never any hype or promise surrounding him and was signed in dubious circumstances which even prompted a police investigation.

Amad was the best player at one of the best academies in Italy, who was being followed by City after he tore their youth team a new one in the Youth League, and was signed due to a panic on missing out on Sancho. Regarded by our scouts as being the best U19 in Europe after Ansu Fati.
Nope, he was just a kid. Atalanta’s CFO was also thinking the offer was 4m instead of 40m because of a typo.

AltiUn

Nope, he was just a kid. Atalanta’s CFO was also thinking the offer was 4m instead of 40m because of a typo.
Yeah, think I'll trust the actual youth experts and scouts over you on this one mate.

OmarUnited4ever

If the original thread still exists, you cannot say you were not warned.
Both clubs negotiated the fee and reached an agreement, yes it's too expansive but you don't need to bullshit us with a story of Atlanta CFO expecting a 4m and getting 40m instead

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Both clubs negotiated the fee and reached an agreement, yes it's too expansive but you don't need to bullshit us with a story of Atlanta CFO expecting a 4m and getting 40m instead
It happens I’m from Bergamo and… never mind, you are right. Another whisper is your scouts got a qui-pro-quo with Amad’s fake brother Hamad Traore, who is now doing very well at Sassuolo. However, you all have seen Amad for 1.5 years by now and can make your own assessment. He will probably go to the Netherlands and try a breakthrough at professional level in a free flowing, attacking minded league.

Footyislife

He only cost £21m. There were £16m in add-ons based on appearances and achievements which likely have not been met.

Should we be worried about the extra £5m we overpaid on Amad? Not really. Our issue with recruitment is not the deals for Amad, but it's the idiocy of buying players who already don't fit our system/culture like Lukaku, Di Maria, Pogba, AWB, Maguire for £20-30m inflated values.

It's giving young players like Rashford/Martial ridiculous guaranteed contracts £75k/wk above what they deserve. Why do we pay our GK squad more than the entire bottom 4 EPL teams pay their entire squad?

Being financially smart starts by saying no to Declan, Kane. Players who aren't worth the money they'd cost.

Davie Moyes

I remember you being quite bitter on Juve missing out on Amad as Juve usually has first dibs on any promising player in Italy. Juve were hoping to repeat the trick of purchasing Atalanta's best young player as you did with Kulusevski the year before.

Giggsy13

Give him some time to work with ten Hag. It’s not as if he’s had an opportunity to work with some first class coaching.

Davie Moyes

I'm the same. The lad was levels above in the reserve team. I think he's on par with Mejbri in terms of talent. He's also shown glimpses in the first team. We can even see the talent in the recent clip above from Rangers training. I think ETH will love him.

OmarUnited4ever

It happens I’m from Bergamo and… never mind, you are right. Another whisper is your scouts got a qui-pro-quo with Amad’s fake brother Hamad Traore, who is now doing very well at Sassuolo. However, you all have seen Amad for 1.5 years by now and can make your own assessment. He will probably go to the Netherlands and try a breakthrough at professional level in a free flowing, attacking minded league.
Your demons are whispering to you many things, but you must hold steadfast and not be swayed.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I remember you being quite bitter on Juve missing out on Amad as Juve usually has first dibs on any promising player in Italy. Juve were hoping to repeat the trick of purchasing Atalanta's best young player as you did with Kulusevski the year before.
I was very friendly yet firmly advising against the hype. Your fellow Utd fans were (rightly, mind) expecting Messi 2 or similar level of player, though. The only loser from all this mess is the kid, at the moment. He is a lovable character with a difficult past and his abilities deserve to find a place in football, at the right level for the time being.

goalscholes

Looking at the players we have brought in, it feels like our scouts tend to look for particular attributes that the player has (like dribbling, pace, strength etc.), but ignore blatant weaknesses in their game (work rate, pressing ability, ability to beat a press, determination, leadership) that you need in modern football.

I think the loan will be far better experience than the U23s, even if he isn't playing. But if he doesn't break through by the end of the season, it doesn't look good for him under Ten Hag.

Amad is clearly talented, but he needs to learn quickly that at this level, talent isn't enough and you're a liability if you don't graft.

Reactions: Dargonk

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
With a new manager and a new playing styke incoming, that’s way too many ‘if’s’ to end up with a ‘should’, if you get my meaning.

I think the only thing we should by now, is let Ten Hag take a look at him in pre-season and make an evaluation. If he thinks Amad lacks too much to get opportunities, if he thinks the money saved holds more value than his potential after another loan, he should do as he sees fit, also in relation to what RW alternatives we manage to have by that time.
Well, that's what forum is about, discussion.

Abraxas

He only cost £21m. There were £16m in add-ons based on appearances and achievements which likely have not been met.

Should we be worried about the extra £5m we overpaid on Amad? Not really. Our issue with recruitment is not the deals for Amad, but it's the idiocy of buying players who already don't fit our system/culture like Lukaku, Di Maria, Pogba, AWB, Maguire for £20-30m inflated values.

It's giving young players like Rashford/Martial ridiculous guaranteed contracts £75k/wk above what they deserve. Why do we pay our GK squad more than the entire bottom 4 EPL teams pay their entire squad?

Being financially smart starts by saying no to Declan, Kane. Players who aren't worth the money they'd cost.
Huh? This comparison between values strikes me as weird. You're saying Kane and Declan Rice aren't worth the money they'd cost, but whatever that value is we know they're bloody good footballers, among the top players in their position in the league, and possibly in the world in Kane's case.

Amad is 21 million for a bloke that we don't even know is a top flight footballer. So yes, I would say that kind of frittering away would be just as much of a problem as overspending on big names.

Not writing him off yet but if it doesn't come to fruition it's exceptionally bad value, there's no way round that. It's not a cheeky few million gamble is it?

jesperjaap

I think both Amad and Pellestri look really talented, Amad more so technically.

Think part of the problem was the hype and fee for AMad and our desperation at the rime fo ra right winger.

Not a name people like mentioning, but Greenwood is the same age as Pellestri and a year older than Amad and the fanfare over his breakthrough so young was huge. I think we have to remembe they are just 19/20 years old.

We havent seen enough of Pellestri here or on loan because he hasnt played, but from the little I have seen of him pre signing, in the reserves and for Uruguary he is a plyer that works hard, wants to take on a player and is always looking forward. Amad is very small, not blistering pace but very good on the ball, in his cameos last season, there were moments you could see his quality and also moments of his inexperience.

But remember they are still a year or two younger than Viniscus Junior for example who came with a huge price tag and expectations and it has taken him a couple of season sto settle in, gain experfience and mature physcially to look ready.

Not saying Amad or Pellestri will be the answer here or even make it here, but though its dissapointing both loan spells, dont think we can read to much into it and when you add them to Garnacho, we certainly have som eexciting talent for the squad especially with Elanga and Sancho also both very young. I think our options as a squad there with or without Rashford/Greenwood are very good squad wise, we do dependant on there situation almost certainly need a starting right winger though added

lex talionis

I still don't understand why we spent close to or maybe more than 70m on three players Ole had no use for when that amount would have been enough to bring in Rice at the time, or Grealish at the time, players we desperately needed. Rice especially, but Grealish would have been a fantastic acquisition for us, his performances for City notwithstanding.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I still don't understand why we spent close to or maybe more than 70m on three players Ole had no use for when that amount would have been enough to bring in Rice at the time, or Grealish at the time, players we desperately needed. Rice especially, but Grealish would have been a fantastic acquisition for us, his performances for City notwithstanding.
I remember thinking at the time Sancho was dead, because we spent so much on 2 RWs. :lol: I was young and foolish.

city-puma

I remember thinking at the time Sancho was dead, because we spent so much on 2 RWs. :lol: I was young and foolish.
Same for most of us.
then, I heard we bought Sancho. Immediately, I felt that our new season could be uncertain because I thought reinforcement in midfield should be our priority. Then, we got Varane. OMG!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Immediate impact in the Derby today!! Yellow after 20 seconds :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Can't fault his effort in running back there to take the guy out and possible saved a goal

Other than that just put in a good cross

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Wonder if Rangers would be interested in a swap deal for Fashion Sakala

Swedish_Plumber

Had a nice touch to win the ball around halfway for a potential counter that another rangers player fecked up.

The way the game was going I reckon if he’d been brought on a bit earlier he might’ve have had a winning influence.

Chripper

Amad for Leon King, Alex Lowry and Rory Wilson. Oh, and a truckfull of Tunnock's Tea Cakes and Snowballs.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Debate on Diallo ongoing on Rangers forum at the moment if anyone is interested.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/amad-diallo-next-season.204688/page-2#post-11478065
The talent's obviously there. He just needs game time. He had wasted easily a year -- six months waiting around at Atalanta to be sold -- and then six months at United playing at the Academy and then the 3 months of injury & recovery.
In 3-4 years' time, if we had not bought him, folks here will be saying and wondering why we never buy talent earlier and instead pay a premium for read-made talent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely needs to go to a club where he will be the solid first pick now.

Rangers was the right club at the wrong time in terms of playing, but I think this will stand him in good stead of what it requires to fight in a squad.

I hope next year if ETH doesn't see use for him, we send him to a low PL club or championship and make sure he gets played every game possible.

He definitely has the talent, just needs experience.

Son

Rodrigo & Vinicius last night showed us up a bit. We tried the to do what Real did and our players absolutely bottle it.

Maybe this guy has a better chance in a possession based side but the facts are if he can’t handle it in the SPL why should we believe he can do it in a harder league?

The best players show their class regardless like when R9 moved to the Dutch league back in the day.