Amad Diallo | Rangers loan watch

mancan92

What a load of nonsense!

Only this season have people spoken about United regards pressing, and now everyone has hung onto every word.

Funnily enough, the odd occasion Diallo has featured for us, he's been praised for his pressing off the ball.
What are you talking about? We have statistically Been one of the worst teams in the league at pressing for many years

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Only this season have people spoken about United regards pressing, and now everyone has hung onto every word.

Funnily enough, the odd occasion Diallo has featured for us, he's been praised for his pressing off the ball.
Your first line certainly isn't true. We've been absolutely terrible at pressing since at least Mourinho started here, barring a brief improvement when Ole first took over. Our pressing and general work-rate has consistently been some of the worst in the league for years.

Your second line is true though. In the brief time that he has played in the first team Diallo has actually been surprisingly decent at pressing and winning the ball back. What I'm not sure about is whether that's his natural game (is he doing the same in the youth teams?) or whether it's something that he's just doing to make himself stand out in those few games.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Next game is Hearts at home, Sunday at 4pm. This will also be a Sky Sports Main Event so it’s another opportunity to see Diallo, this time at Ibrox.
Hearts are 10 points clear in 3rd place.

Walters_19_MuFc

Your first line certainly isn't true. We've been absolutely terrible at pressing since at least Mourinho started here, barring a brief improvement when Ole first took over. Our pressing and general work-rate has consistently been some of the worst in the league for years.

Your second line is true though. In the brief time that he has played in the first team Diallo has actually been surprisingly decent at pressing and winning the ball back. What I'm not sure about is whether that's his natural game (is he doing the same in the youth teams?) or whether it's something that he's just doing to make himself stand out in those few games.
We didn't try and actively press under Mourinho, though. It's only this season people have fully paid attention to it. When we finished second, yes it may have been mentioned at times, but it seems like a weekly occurrence now, especially since we have Rangnick, who is renown for his pressing.

Actually, you could argue that when we dropped off a bit, invited teams on to us and countered, we saw better results. We were one of the best teams counter teams out there under Ole. We don't really see that these days.

Walters_19_MuFc

What are you talking about? We have statistically Been one of the worst teams in the league at pressing for many years
It would be great if you spent a bit of time to actually read what I wrote. I didn't say we weren't. It may be the case that we have been the ''worst'' (I would need you to provide those stats, please) for ''many years'', but it seems that everyone is talking about it on a daily basis now.

For example, when we bought Ronaldo, everyone questioned how he'd fare regards pressing from the front, but how often was that mentioned by the media when we played Martial up top, who, lets be honest, isn't exactly a pressing machine?

Fact is, when you're not doing well - as is the case with us this season, everything will be scrutinized.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We didn't try and actively press under Mourinho, though. It's only this season people have fully paid attention to it. When we finished second, yes it may have been mentioned at times, but it seems like a weekly occurrence now, especially since we have Rangnick, who is renown for his pressing.

Actually, you could argue that when we dropped off a bit, invited teams on to us and countered, we saw better results. We were one of the best teams counter teams out there under Ole. We don't really see that these days.
There's more talk about it at the moment because we bought in a manager who obviously wants to do it. There were still a lot of comments about our lack of pressing and workrate before that (and have been for years), it's just increased now as it's even more noteworthy.

The fact that we've been one of the worst pressing teams for at least six years means we have a group of players who are largely poor and unsuited at doing it. They aren't used to the workrate, they don't know how to position themselves, and they don't know how how to look for the triggers that should activate a hard press. It's going to take time for that to change that around.

The very first good period of form under Ole came from a hard-working all-out-attack mentality. That couldn't last. We then moved to being a deeper counter-attacking team and had quite a lot of success again, before opposition started to work us out and stopped playing into our hands. I feel we continued trying to play that style for most of the time since then, and individual quality has normally got us over the line despite the tactics rather than because of them. That obviously fell apart this season though. Now with Rangnick we are trying to move to a higher pressing team which is closer to how most modern top teams play, which will hopefully be the first step to taking us back to the next level.

AndyMUFC86

Next game is Hearts at home, Sunday at 4pm. This will also be a Sky Sports Main Event so it’s another opportunity to see Diallo, this time at Ibrox.
Hearts are 10 points clear in 3rd place.
Yes, looking forward to watching it. Do you think he will start?
My brother in law is Scottish and supports Rangers so with Amad moving there I’ve adopted them as my second team

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Was waiting for the inevitable “how did this guy cost 40m?” Post, when he actually only cost 17. He’s a huge talent. Looking forward to him getting games and developing over the next 18mos. Have high hopes for this kid, but like any player he needs time and support to adjust.

The Caf mantra for young players is to overhype every good performance and knee jerk hyperventilate at every bad one.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Yes, looking forward to watching it. Do you think he will start?
My brother in law is Scottish and supports Rangers so with Amad moving there I’ve adopted them as my second team
I think he will, but his competitor Sakala came on and did well against Celtic, and Amad was hooked at half time, so there’s a chance Sakala gets the nod but I doubt it. I would think Amad will be best suited to games at Ibrox where we tend to have all the ball.

AndyMUFC86

I think he will, but his competitor Sakala came on and did well against Celtic, and Amad was hooked at half time, so there’s a chance Sakala gets the nod but I doubt it. I would think Amad will be best suited to games at Ibrox where we tend to have all the ball.
Yeah I would agree that home games will help him build some confidence. Hopefully he will have a good game on Sunday!

Jordicruyfffanclub

Unfortunately as a Celtic supporting Irish poster, I'm really torn on this Amad loan.
Is there any way he could tear it up in Scotland while the team don't?
Hopefully!

MacGlock88

Greg Taylor had him in his pocket for the entire half he was on.

To be honest, one of the best games I’ve seen Taylor play.

A first half demolition.
Time yet to see what Amad is about.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunately as a Celtic supporting Irish poster, I'm really torn on this Amad loan.
Is there any way he could tear it up in Scotland while the team don't?
Hopefully!
He was excellent (and scored) when Rangers dropped points against a team from the bottom of the table last weekend. More of that would be perfect.

Zevvythered

Greg Taylor had him in his pocket for the entire half he was on.

To be honest, one of the best games I’ve seen Taylor play.

A first half demolition.
Time yet to see what Amad is about.
Did you watch the game mate?

Diallo played the first half tucked in rather than an out and out winger, Rangers were poor all over the park, time to let the lad go out a play and express himself

MacGlock88

Did you watch the game mate?

Diallo played the first half tucked in rather than an out and out winger, Rangers were poor all over the park, time to let the lad go out a play and express himself

I was at the game.

He’ll have plenty of time to express himself alright. Given my understanding of the terms of the loan, that he needs to play when fit.

MacGlock88

He was excellent (and scored) when Rangers dropped points against a team from the bottom of the table last weekend. More of that would be perfect.
He didn’t do himself any favours with the hoards when he advised that it was a ‘good game’ and set about with the showreel of his own performances. The ranger fans were not happy to be dropping points, and didn’t share his views totally.

Zevvythered

I was at the game.

He’ll have plenty of time to express himself alright. Given my understanding of the terms of the loan, that he needs to play when fit.
Must been a hard one for you mate, watching a united player on loan at your biggest rivals

MacGlock88

Must been a hard one for you mate, watching a united player on loan at your biggest rivals
It wasn’t hard in the slightest.
The first half performance was a joy to behold.
Players change, teams don’t.

AMcG stopped what could have/should have been another couple.

Zevvythered

It wasn’t hard in the slightest.
The first half performance was a joy to behold.
Players change, teams don’t.

AMcG stopped what could have/should have been another couple.
Best I have seen Celtic play in years, next 3 games could decide the league already

Stacks

Was waiting for the inevitable “how did this guy cost 40m?” Post, when he actually only cost 17. He’s a huge talent. Looking forward to him getting games and developing over the next 18mos. Have high hopes for this kid, but like any player he needs time and support to adjust.

The Caf mantra for young players is to overhype every good performance and knee jerk hyperventilate at every bad one.
whats huge about his talent? He is the same age as Greenwood who I would describe as a "huge talent". just because someone is young does that mean they are a huge talent? How does he compare to other 19 year olds e.g. Saka? Are they even near each other to be classing his talent as huge?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Only came on in the 85th minute of their 5-0 against Hearts today.

Hopefully not a sing that they don't fancy him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

If they are winning 5-0 without him it just goes to show how easy of a gig it is up there for Rangers and Celtic apart from a few tough matches. He’ll be in again in a game or two but I wouldn’t be surprised if the manager goes with the same team in the next game. Would be kind of unfair to change it up after that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Another «stupid» coach then?

The hyping of him, and then hating on our coaches for not using him instead of player x have been ridiculus.

AndyMUFC86

It won’t do Amad any harm to have to earn his place in the team. We all know he has talent so making sure he puts in the hard yards will only help him realise what it takes to cut it at the highest level. I still feel confident that by the end of this season he will have made a very positive mark for Rangers and improved as a player

55titles

Supports
Rangers
It won’t do Amad any harm to have to earn his place in the team. We all know he has talent so making sure he puts in the hard yards will only help him realise what it takes to cut it at the highest level. I still feel confident that by the end of this season he will have made a very positive mark for Rangers and improved as a player
Agree with that. The other two guys hooked at half time vs Celtic didn’t start yesterday either. I didn’t expect Aribo to be played in Diallo’s position but that changes things a bit and means he’s going to have his work cut out to get in the team. Aaron Ramsey will be coming into the team in Aribo’s central position so it will be difficult. I still expect him to get plenty minutes and make a positive impact.

poleglass red

If they are winning 5-0 without him it just goes to show how easy of a gig it is up there for Rangers and Celtic apart from a few tough matches. He’ll be in again in a game or two but I wouldn’t be surprised if the manager goes with the same team in the next game. Would be kind of unfair to change it up after that.
Just the week before that 5 nil win, Rangers conceded 3 goals to the team 3rd from bottom. Hearts who Rangers hammered by 5, were unlucky and only a penalty away from drawing with Celtic recently. Its like any league, there a couple of standouts but you still have to earn your wins. City and Liverpool have lost the same amount of games as celtic, Chelsea the same amount as Rangers. You could argue at least they have a 2 horse race up there whereas PL only has a one horse race this season.

laughtersassassin

1 Quite Good Game ( Best to second best player)

1 Bad one ( Whole team was useless, nothing of note could be taken from that game)

1 Game he basically didn't play.

Not much can be taken of it yet.

I noticed Rangers do seem to favour attacking down their left side regardless of which attacker starts on the right.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

More down to a tactical tweak to shore up the midfield after a few leaky showings in recent weeks. It will be a bit of a problem for Amad if we now just play with 1 out-and-out winger, but I’d still expect him to get some decent minutes under his belt.

::sonny::

Spent a lot of money for a player that maybe will be ready in 2032

What a gamble

Pure madness

AndyMUFC86

Disappointing Amad hasn’t got off the bench tonight. Hopefully GVB isn’t isolating him out already.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He'd have been better going to a league 1 or lower Championship side.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Disappointing Amad hasn’t got off the bench tonight. Hopefully GVB isn’t isolating him out already.
He’ll start on Saturday in the Scottish Cup albeit against a part-time team. I think GVB was trying to give the XI that will start against Dortmund next week a full 90 tonight. Possibly 1-2 changes in midfield for that one but the rest of the team will probably be the same.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Hate to say it but shitting the bed against Celtic cost him big time with regards to trust. At some point in all professions you just need to ‘get good’ and perform.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The hype around him from our fans was and is beyond a joke anyway. What has this kid done to deserve such praise? He wasn't even playing for Atalanta regularly.

One good dribble and our fans start going mental.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The hype around him from our fans was and is beyond a joke anyway. What has this kid done to deserve such praise? He wasn't even playing for Atalanta regularly.

One good dribble and our fans start going mental.
Some of them watched our youth games, I'd imagine. And Amad & Hannibal were simply incredible together.

Oranges038

Can't see the fuss over him not being played. He's only been there for 3 games and has played in half of them. He will just have to work extra hard to force his way into a starting spot and keep working hard to stay there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The kid is lacking match rhythm due to not playing regularly for a good while. The Celtic game came too early for him. He should've been introduced gradually.