Amad Diallo | Rangers loan watch

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's kind of disorienting to see a non-fade mini afro these days. :lol:

Demaw

His touch and control always stands out. Smashed balls to him on the sideline and stops them perfectly. So much talent and needs to be nurtured. Only 19.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His touch and control always stands out. Smashed balls to him on the sideline and stops them perfectly. So much talent and needs to be nurtured. Only 19.
In earlier versions of United he’d probably be getting that nurturing here. I was quite excited when he signed because in the tradition of the club since I’ve been a supporter - this is a project that we’d be developing in house over a couple of years until he was fully there. We’ve bought Ronaldo at 18, who had physical, tactical and technical improvements to make - but I loved the ride of him playing games and growing. We’ve brought through the likes of Greenwood and Rashford in similar circumstances, we’ve tried Januzaj, Welbeck and others too.

This sort of blunt ‘he’s not ready yet’ is new to me as far as young players we have considered supreme talents at United. Those players have always stayed, gotten cup games, cameos and a gradually increased workload. Been so many of our players who I remember the days when they were ‘not ready’, and those were fun periods, where they has kid bodies and nothing but spirit and bags of ability. United, likely due to us generally being a bit shit and desperate from game to game, have ceased to become that environment where kids are given the best chances. I feel teams with more authority like Liverpool and Chelsea (and City with their Foden plan) have done it in the way we used to do it more often, in recent times. Someone like Curtis Jones has seemingly been on like a 3 year integration plan, and it’s worked well. But they have had the luxury.

I think Greenwood is the best example of late, where we believed in his talent and have allowed him to grow into the team over a couple of years. With Rashford, I think we genuinely had nobody better and he was more out of necessity. I’d have liked to see Amad playing football here, albeit gradually, but I think we have just been too chaotic for that. In previous regimes, he and Hannibal would have been more involved. But the ‘not ready’ thing isn’t really United, to me. Once they are too good for the reserves, we introduce them until they are ready.

cyberman

In earlier versions of United he’d probably be getting that nurturing here. I was quite excited when he signed because in the tradition of the club since I’ve been a supporter - this is a project that we’d be developing in house over a couple of years until he was fully there. We’ve bought Ronaldo at 18, who had physical, tactical and technical improvements to make - but I loved the ride of him playing games and growing. We’ve brought through the likes of Greenwood and Rashford in similar circumstances, we’ve tried Januzaj, Welbeck and others too.

This sort of blunt ‘he’s not ready yet’ is new to me as far as young players we have considered supreme talents at United. Those players have always stayed, gotten cup games, cameos and a gradually increased workload. Been so many of our players who I remember the days when they were ‘not ready’, and those were fun periods, where they has kid bodies and nothing but spirit and bags of ability. United, likely due to us generally being a bit shit and desperate from game to game, have ceased to become that environment where kids are given the best chances. I feel teams with more authority like Liverpool and Chelsea (and City with their Foden plan) have done it in the way we used to do it more often, in recent times. Someone like Curtis Jones has seemingly been on like a 3 year integration plan, and it’s worked well. But they have had the luxury.

I think Greenwood is the best example of late, where we believed in his talent and have allowed him to grow into the team over a couple of years. With Rashford, I think we genuinely had nobody better and he was more out of necessity. I’d have liked to see Amad playing football here, albeit gradually, but I think we have just been too chaotic for that. In previous regimes, he and Hannibal would have been more involved. But the ‘not ready’ thing isn’t really United, to me. Once they are too good for the reserves, we introduce them until they are ready.
When was this? We constantly loaned out young players during our hay day. If anything it’s modern United that play youngsters through their flaws

mu4c_20le

And Ronaldo was a one off, all of the players saw it when they played against him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When was this? We constantly loaned out young players during our hay day. If anything it’s modern United that play youngsters through their flaws
We have always had raw talented teenagers getting games for us. Obviously not as regulars. Especially the ones we bought for good fees. It was always exciting to watch them, many were often false dawns - but the likes of Januzaj, Ronaldo, Welbeck.

I just remember games where an Amad equivalent was on the bench and we’d be hoping they got on and excited us for the last 20 minutes. Rafael is another. Was not as boring and steady as Neville, but he excited us more and we wanted to see him play right away. He wasn’t cooled yet first season, but he was talented and brave. We just let him play and grow.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And Ronaldo was a one off, all of the players saw it when they played against him.
Think it’s easier to say that now. So many players have been called one-off’s at 18. Ronaldo was heavily criticised over here as a showpony who needed this, that and the other. He was protected and developed perfectly by Fergie.

De Gea is a similar example. Physically needed work, was mainly raw talent, and developed into a WC keeper. I know he’s a keeper so a bit of a weird example, but we trusted his talent rather than just making blunt assessments as to whether a player was ‘ready’ or not. The notion that Amad shouldn’t play football here until he is ready to fight for the Balon’Dor or something isn’t us. This period is part of the fun. I’d have rather we let him play a bit more since he was here, although understand why we haven’t.

JuriM

Do we have to recall him now as Greenwood probably ends up suspended during the investigation anyway - other option is some last minute loan/buy deal on deadline day.

RonaldoVII

Do we have to recall him now as Greenwood probably ends up suspended during the investigation anyway - other option is some last minute loan/buy deal on deadline day.
Probably take the hit as it's more beneficial to Amad to play every week than be backup here if he's not ready.

Red Rash

I don't think we will bring him back. We still have Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Cavani and maybe even Pogba who has played in a wider advanced position this season.

Really don't want him to come back just to sit on the bench and receive almost no minutes. Would much prefer him to play regularly for Rangers to get used to first team football and hopefully come back next season a better player.

Bwuk

We won’t bring him back. It’s better for him to stay there than maybe make about 60 mins total minutes here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s not a bad loan as well since in rangers, you are expected to perform weekly in the Scottish league.

Glorio

He now has more impetus to make the most out of this loan.

On his return you'd think Sancho would be his only real competition as the rest of our wide players (weird that it's now just Rashford and Elanga) are more accustomed to the left.

Dan_F

I really don’t think you can recall players from loan that easily. I’m sure it’s not allowed if there is any kind of loan fee and would usually only happen in January for a season long loan if it was written into the contract.

Tallis

Probably come across as big time knee jerk but his skill on the ball (not necessarily technique) seems higher than almost anyone in our squad.

jeff_goldblum

Probably come across as big time knee jerk but his skill on the ball (not necessarily technique) seems higher than almost anyone in our squad.
His close control particularly has looked very impressive whenever I've seen him, he's very comfortable dribbling in tight spaces and seems a very tidy short passer. What I don't think we saw enough of in the few chances he had here was the ability to change gear and use footwork and a burst of pace at the right moment to beat a defender who hasn't yet committed to a challenge, or to take advantage of the gap left behind when he's evaded one. That's the thing that would make him a very dangerous player so I'm hoping we'll see him develop that ability during this loan as he gets used to the physicality of British football and gets some real gametime under his belt.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
It looks like Aaron Ramsay is very close to joining us (Rangers). If true and he stays fit (big if), that would be good news for Diallo.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
As Macheda said, because he’ll have better players around him. That can make a big difference to the numbers a player like Diallo gets. He would also likely be played RCM beside Diallo. Not done yet but it’s looking like he’s landed in Glasgow and it’s happening.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Aaron Ramsay announced. Looking forward to him linking up with Diallo! While he's fit....

Speako

A bit of a strange comment, unless you’re a fan of another Scottish club? Celtic have made far greater use of the loan market in recent seasons, there's no reason why Rangers shouldn’t when it suits. An overhaul is coming in the summer so it makes sense that any big permanent signings are held off till then.
In think he was taking about us (United) mate.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
In think he was taking about us (United) mate.
Haha, that makes a lot more sense. The rules are changing soon anyway so the big clubs won't be able to loan out that many players.

Bwuk

Fancy him to score again on Wednesday.

If Celtic start Greg Taylor at left back - he's rubbish.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This one is televised also, nice. Wonder if Ramsey will go straight in too?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Buzzing for the old firm on Wednesday night now.

Bwuk

This one is televised also, nice. Wonder if Ramsey will go straight in too?
Van Bronckhorst said he won't be in the squad.

I imagine Rangers will line up with Arfield, Aribo & Kamara in midfield, with Diallo, Roofe & Kent upfront.

HailtotheKing

Yeah, our problem is we are very rarely 3 goals up in games like City and Liverpool for example. So there's too much pressure to bring them on. You need balls to do that. Rangnick might, Ole never would. So these players have to be shipped out to get game time and improve. Once we routinely start winning games, we can afford to blood these youngsters properly.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, our problem is we are very rarely 3 goals up in games like City and Liverpool for example. So there's too much pressure to bring them on. You need balls to do that. Rangnick might, Ole never would. So these players have to be shipped out to get game time and improve. Once we routinely start winning games, we can afford to blood these youngsters properly.
Indeed.

Smores

We obviously don't need to be 3-0 up to play youth, we never used to wait for such a lead and many other clubs don't either.

The issue is a manager who feels under no obligation to play youth will always put their own short term pressures above developing talent. It should be a demand on any manager to find the time for them to play.

HailtotheKing

We obviously don't need to be 3-0 up to play youth, we never used to wait for such a lead and many other clubs don't either.

The issue is a manager who feels under no obligation to play youth will always put their own short term pressures above developing talent. It should be a demand on any manager to find the time for them to play.
Yeah of course. My main point was about routinely winning games. Right now we are a mess. Back in the Fergie days it was easy to blood the youngsters cause they came into a winning team filled with confidence. So if the kid had a bad game, no worries. We used to play midfielders on the wing and all sorts. Ole despite the whole DNA bollocks never did that because he was too scared. Mourinho it wasn’t his thing. LVG did though. And Rangnick is.

Better under the present circumstances though for Amad to get good game time at Rangers. And yes, the next manager should be encouraged to play our youth and develop players.