Amad Diallo signs for Manchester United

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm fully behind Diallo as our long term option as the right sided player until proven otherwise. I'm backing the better judgment of Marcel Bout, Jim Lawlor and Mick Court who are the three guys who head the recruitment staff with Bout also tasked with organising the scouts around the world and having the ultimate say in the club signing young talent. Bout is basically the Sporting director at youth level and also along with the two aforementioned names plays a major role in who we buy for the first team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd be amazed if we didn't take the chance to try and have him on the bench - if all goes well we could give him 15 minutes at the end and see how he takes to it.

I suppose it depends on his fitness/sharpness considering he's hardly played in the last few months.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Near post? Was it you that claimed Allison was beaten at his near post too?
Ok sorry Henderson was beaten at what looked to me the post nearest to where he was positioned in a video clip I watched once and wrote a flippant comment about.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ok sorry Henderson was beaten at what looked to me the post nearest to where he was positioned in a video clip I watched once and wrote a flippant comment about.
To be fair it's clear to every man and his dog that its the back post.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I won't argue the semantic of near post and far post, the ball is technically closer to the post on Diallo's right but Henderson is closer to the post on Diallo's left where he strikes the ball.

The comment was flippant but Henderson was closer to the side where Diallo shot.

TrustInJanuzaj

I won't argue the semantic of near post and far post, the ball is technically closer to the post on Diallo's right but Henderson is closer to the post on Diallo's left where he strikes the ball.

The comment was flippant but Henderson was closer to the side where Diallo shot.
I could be wrong but I've never looked at it based on where the keeper is, more where the shooter is (or ball position if you prefer). So if you shoot from the right-hand side of the pitch (looking at the goal), then the right-hand side of the goal is the near post, with the left-hand side being the far post. Obviously, the opposite then applies on the left-hand side of the pitch. If a shooter is in the middle of the pitch then really there isn't a near, far post as they are more like equidistant.

Anyway, apologies for that horrific explanation and I more than understand your actual point - Henderson could have saved it!

UmbroDays

Henderson beaten at his near post. Poor.

Hendo is actually in the middle of the goal. It’s the perspective of the camera.

Eitherway not his near post!

MDFC Manager

I think he's still at least 5-6 weeks away from featuring. He's not gonna suddenly jump above Mata and James in the pecking order, who may actually need the match fitness over the coming months.

Alemar

. He's not gonna suddenly jump above Mata and James in the pecking order
Why, if he is better in training? Besides, today’s game doesn’t suit James at all

If, in fact, he is worse than James in training, he of course shouldn’t feature - but it would mean we have wasted money on him

Judas

Open to offers
I think he's still at least 5-6 weeks away from featuring. He's not gonna suddenly jump above Mata and James in the pecking order, who may actually need the match fitness over the coming months.
If he was that far away Ole would be putting more cold water on the chat than he is. Ole's quite calculated in how he talks about such matters.

macheda14

Ole said in a press conference last week that he can see him being in the squad within 4 weeks. Admittedly that might mean he's just in the squad and it takes him a while to actually get on the pitch. But Ole has been slowly hinting at the idea his chance will come sooner rather than later.

Adam-Utd

To be fair that's not really right.

If you're standing closer to 1 side, thats your "near post" as you're the nearest to it, it's literally in the word.

In this instance where Diallo shoots is actually the near post, but it seems really strange as usually if a player was coming from the right wing you'd never be over covering that side of the goal, he'd be closer to the over side hence that normally being his "near post". As a goalkeeper you'd be expecting them to try and curl it into the opposite corner.

It seems like it was a training exercise for them to purposely be curling it into that corner, rather than cheesing it and cutting it back to the open side of the goal.

TrustInJanuzaj

To be fair that's not really right.

If you're standing closer to 1 side, thats your "near post" as you're the nearest to it, it's literally in the word.

In this instance where Diallo shoots is actually the near post, but it seems really strange as usually if a player was coming from the right wing you'd never be over covering that side of the goal, he'd be closer to the over side hence that normally being his "near post". As a goalkeeper you'd be expecting them to try and curl it into the opposite corner.

It seems like it was a training exercise for them to purposely be curling it into that corner, rather than cheesing it and cutting it back to the open side of the goal.
Not sure that's what it means, pretty sure it means nearest to the ball, not the keeper. In this instance, cutting in from the right, the ball would be close to the right-hand post thus that's the near post.

Adam-Utd

Not sure that's what it means, pretty sure it means nearest to the ball, not the keeper. In this instance, cutting in from the right, the ball would be close to the right-hand post thus that's the near post.
Well it depends on your perspective, are you the player or the keeper?

Usually the 2 are intertwined, if the keeper is in the middle of the goal, is the left the near or far? it's neither.

In "real" football Henderson would usually be a lot closer to the other side of the goal and that would traditionally be his near post, but for some reason he's staying a lot tighter to that side of the goal - we can only assume on purpose (otherwise it's horrible positioning)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He didn’t play for Atalanta so I struggle to see him playing much any time soon. It would be exciting though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it means.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That argument about the near post is so funny hahaha you can't just make up a definition for the near post
It's also a very random argument in general :lol: we really could make an argument out of anything here.

Alemar

He didn’t play for Atalanta so I struggle to see him playing much any time soon. It would be exciting though.
What is the negative of his debut today? Why is it bad to grant him debut today?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What is the negative of his debut today? Why is it bad to grant him debut?
I don’t see a negative myself, but presumably Solskjaer thinks it is too soon. And he would obviously know better than me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he has a similar impact to Martial's or Rasfhord's first seasons in the first team then i'll be very happy. Just need a bit of fire on that right hand side.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

I've never heard anyone say near or far post depending on where the 'keeper is. It's always with respect to the ball. A corner for instance is often either going to the near or the far post and that's sure as shit never decided by where the 'keeper is, that would be nonsensical.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's tricky, I see your point about fitness but if Diallo is showing more to his game than James then I would imagine he overtakes the latter in the pecking order. James was thrown into the starting XI straight away last season, and he's arguably regressed. So I guess assuming Diallo to feature on the bench isn't out of the question. Especially if Ole has said we will see him part of the match day squad soon.

TrustInJanuzaj

Well it depends on your perspective, are you the player or the keeper?

Usually the 2 are intertwined, if the keeper is in the middle of the goal, is the left the near or far? it's neither.

In "real" football Henderson would usually be a lot closer to the other side of the goal and that would traditionally be his near post, but for some reason he's staying a lot tighter to that side of the goal - we can only assume on purpose (otherwise it's horrible positioning)
The point I'm making though is you don't need a keeper to define front and back post, otherwise, what would you call it if you were kicking balls into an open goal? If I take a free-kick against no keeper from the right-hand side of the box then the right-hand post is always the near post as its closer to the ball. At best you could say ' the keepers nearest post' but I don't think that's the same thing as front or near post. Anyway, this is one of the stranger discussions I've had on this forum. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He did have a little cameo for Atalanta in the UCL. The opposition was around the same level as Sheffield Utd IMO

He was very lively

TrustInJanuzaj

I've never heard anyone say near or far post depending on where the 'keeper is. It's always with respect to the ball. A corner for instance is often either going to the near or the far post and that's sure as shit never decided by where the 'keeper is, that would be nonsensical.
Exactly, thankyou for making me not feel crazy.

Adam-Utd

The point I'm making though is you don't need a keeper to define front and back post, otherwise, what would you call it if you were kicking balls into an open goal? If I take a free-kick against no keeper from the right-hand side of the box then the right-hand post is always the near post as its closer to the ball. At best you could say ' the keepers nearest post' but I don't think that's the same thing as front or near post. Anyway, this is one of the stranger discussions I've had on this forum. :lol:
What? Like I said it depends whether you're the keeper or the player, there's no right or wrong.

A goalkeepers near post will be different to the outfield players. It all depends where you're standing at the end of the day.

Usually though if you're on the right wing, the keeper will stand that side of the goal - hence why that's normally always the near post.

anyway.

TrustInJanuzaj

Will his debut goal tonight be scored into the near or far post?
Far post, but then it depends on the keeper as if he's standing on the left hand post then that's the far post but if he's near the right hand post that's the near post, if he sits on the crossbar that's the horizontal post - the important thing is Diallo is going to score off a post!

Matthew84!

I think when he gets his chance it'll be in a game where we are already 3 or 4 nil up and hell get the last 15 minutes. There's no rush tbh, Greenwood hopefully finding some form.