g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Amad Diallo signs for Manchester United

GoldTrafford99

I think he's still at least 5-6 weeks away from featuring. He's not gonna suddenly jump above Mata and James in the pecking order, who may actually need the match fitness over the coming months.

I have heard - and I am not claiming to be ITK cos I don't wanna get kicked outta here... but I have heard he is already in the discussion to be considered in the first team squad. His beep tests are up thereto compete at Premier League level; his on the ball technique is at the level coaches hoped it would be, given the scouting (scouts told coaches this guy was a nailed on world-beater) and all that needs working on is his understanding of what is expected of him both on and off the ball... He's already had eight days training. I would guess another 12 sessions and he is considered for the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see him named in the squad versus Everton on Feb 8. He'll have somewhere between 16-20 sessions under his belt by that weekend and provided his nous is good for understanding his role both on and off the ball, he will be a squad member because he truly is the only right-sided winger we have, so he's barely even in competition for a spot on the bench.

Drz

Henderson beaten. Poor.
I thought so too first, but harsh.
I think I give Diablo more credit here, he curled it perfectly beyond Henderson's leap to the side.
Actually since we see less and less classic wingers these days I really value a player's ability to bend the ball around a marker/opposition player, particularly on crosses. Everyone is fawning over the top-spin a bit too much these days. Curls will return in fashion, Diablo to make it happen.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Damn it that's a real shame, wish Ole was a bit less risk-averse sometimes but I guess we have to trust his judgement on this one.

Glorio

In an interview on the official site, it appears that Greenwood views him as one of the current forward options.

When asked about the competition for places with the other strikers, it's striking he didn't add the likes of James or Lingard to the mix, but he actually namechecked Diallo as very technical and one that he's sure we'll soon see

macheda14

In an interview on the official site, it appears that Greenwood views him as one of the current forward options.

When asked about the competition for places with the other strikers, it's striking he didn't add the likes of James or Lingard to the mix, but he actually namechecked Diallo as very technical and one that he's sure we'll soon see
Full quote for those who haven’t watched - Greenwood:
‘The new boy Amad is a wonderful technical player and I’m sure we’ll be seeing a lot of him soon’

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Dont Sheffield have like 8 first team players out or something, this would've been ideal for him to get some minutes in even if it was 20 mins at the end.

Ole has a weird way of doing things sometimes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can only assume Diallo isn't fully match fit yet, takes a while to get premier league ready just like we say with Cavani.

Alemar

I can only assume Diallo isn't fully match fit yet, takes a while to get premier league ready just like we say with Cavani.
Does he need special fitness to play 10 minutes in the end? He would have coped for sure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dont Sheffield have like 8 first team players out or something, this would've been ideal for him to get some minutes in even if it was 20 mins at the end.

That "weird" way has seen us climb to an inch of top of the league.

rotherham_red

Like I said before he arrived, Ole will always put the player's development first ahead of any immediate needs of the team or excitement of the fans. He did it with Greenwood, and he almost certainly did it with Haaland too at Molde. If Ole doesn't think he's quite ready, then I'm inclined to believe him.

If there's one person I want managing a young talent, it's him.

croadyman

Like I said before he arrived, Ole will always put the player's development first ahead of any immediate needs of the team or excitement of the fans. He did it with Greenwood, and he almost certainly did it with Haaland too at Molde. If Ole doesn't think he's quite ready, then I'm inclined to believe him.

Yeah sadly you are right and can't see him getting another squad opportunity now until maybe West Ham in the FA Cup, however my gut feeling is it could be as far away as the Europa League home leg

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
A few bad results and there’ll surely be threads about Oles misuse of Diallo...perfectly normal to not change a winning team. I didn’t think a place on the bench and 10 minutes at the end of a game is all that risky but we have to accept there are other players who are working hard and are match fit that are still in front of him for the soft minutes at the end of a match (not that we’ve seen much of that recently!) It’s better he comes in and gets settled off the pitch with no pressure and kicks on from there but I’d have liked to see him tonight. I thought it was a win win to get him acclimatised

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does he need special fitness to play 10 minutes in the end? He would have coped for sure.
I don't know? what's the reason then? either he's not good enough or he's not fit enough.

croadyman

A few bad results and there’ll surely be threads about Oles misuse of Diallo...perfectly normal to not change a winning team. I didn’t think a place on the bench and 10 minutes at the end of a game is all that risky but we have to accept there are other players who are working hard and are match fit that are still in front of him for the soft minutes at the end of a match (not that we’ve seen much of that recently!) It’s better he comes in and gets settled off the pitch with no pressure and kicks on from there but I’d have liked to see him tonight. I thought it was a win win to get him acclimatised
Yeah I am disappointed because was just hoping for a place on the bench and a 5/10 minute cameo if the game was won

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
With Lingard loan, he should get some minutes this season, especially while James having a bit of stagnation.

croadyman

What’s happened is he was probably too good in training for the easy home game and they are just saving him for his 2 goals and 2 assist debut away to arsenal this weekend. Makes perfect sense :lol:
I had realistic hopes of him making the squad tonight but no chance of Saturday in my opinion

croadyman

Doesn't change that he has a point. This could be the best chance to throw him into a PL game for the last 10-15 mins
Yeah my thoughts exactly because not many games will we get that chance to do it, can see it being very frustrating if we are in a strong position tonight and won't have him to call on because Ole didn't want to risk it

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Yeah I get you but when you've got the likes of mata and James on the bench offering nothing why not take one of them out and put Diallo in the squad, Ole keeps saying he's training well and settled in very quickly so why hold off?

Im not saying he should be forced into every game or even match day squad but a cameo tonight would've been ideal.

rotherham_red

Yeah I get you but when you've got the likes of mata and James on the bench offering nothing why not take one of them out and put Diallo in the squad, Ole keeps saying he's training well and settled in very quickly so why hold off?

Im not saying he should be forced into every game or even match day squad but a cameo tonight would've been ideal.
He's 18 and joined us in the middle of a pandemic and he's barely played the equivalent of one half of football this season. It's a big adaptation. I'd rather we bed him in slowly than bring him on too early and it be counterproductive. Mata and James aren't necessarily great (though I disagree that they don't provide anything) but they are at least known entities and know the system Ole has.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Why? Arsenal uses loads of youngsters lately in Saka, Smith, Martinelli....
He won't play much anyway, but giving him some minutes this season could in part answer the question, should the board be prepared to spend on RW this summer.

bsCallout

Damn it that's a real shame, wish Ole was a bit less risk-averse sometimes but I guess we have to trust his judgement on this one.
Not really about being risk averse. Just giving the young lad time to settle in, get fit and learn to play with the team when we have other players are also needing minutes.

croadyman

Why? Arsenal uses loads of youngsters lately in Saka, Smith, Martinelli....
The only reason I see them differently to Amad is that they have been around the first team squad now for a while, obviously Martinelli has been injured for quite a period of time but he came back into the reckoning straight away once he was fit

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not really about being risk averse. Just giving the young lad time to settle in, get fit and learn to play with the team when we have other players are also needing minutes.
This was certainly a good opportunity to have hin on the bench considering the opposition. Can't see him featuring for ages now.