Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

giggs-beckham

Clueless
At 21 you think he should be starting or he's a failure? It does him no good sitting on the bench when he ought to be playing. They are too inconsistent at that age. I bet Garnacho will have a dip in his 2nd season. A lot of kids do.
Who would he replace in our starting 11?
Are you a kid at 21? Not at peak obviously and inconsistent sure but you're still a man. If he's good enough which I think he is he should be able to get into the squad.

Northumberland Red

Supports
Sunderland
You have a top talent on your hands with him -not sure what went wrong at Rangers?yesterday we had 9 players under 23 -we have a “new model”of buying and developing and selling for profit ( rather than wasting millions as we have before and finding ourselves ( rightly ) in the 3rd tier for 4 seasons
Diallo is playing in front of 40000 loving it and we love him
Sadly he’s one for you and he should be a diamond for you -we have built up his confidence -you will benefit from that -good luck

Borussia Teeth

We should bring him back next season. Rotate him on the right with Antony and at AM with Bruno. He would get plenty of minutes.

C'est Moi Cantona

It'd be a shame, but if we can't get anyone in pretty soon then surely we recall him.

It's not like he is some academy kid that we are surprised about how well he is doing, he cost us around £30 million, and if we need him to help make up the numbers then lets get him back.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He should be part of the squad next season. Can give Antony competition for the RW spot. Hasn’t he played in AM and upfront aswell for Sunderland? The trouble with us is we’d never play him in AM or he’d never get the chance because of how good Bruno is and he’s someone you can’t drop.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's doing really well at Sunderland but I still think people need to hold back on the flapping a bit. There's a huge difference between doing it in the championship and being good enough for a club who wants to get back to being the best side in England.

Let him finish the season at Sunderland and reassess in the summer. I still don't think he's going to make it at our club though. He's clearly got enough talent to have a decent career somewhere though I just don't think it will be for us sadly.

Pellestri is also starting for Uruguay for example and isn't even getting a sniff for us right now. This shows just how big the gap is for these young lads to step up.

Northumberland Red

Supports
Sunderland
It'd be a shame, but if we can't get anyone in pretty soon then surely we recall him.

It's not like he is some academy kid that we are surprised about how well he is doing, he cost us around £30 million, and if we need him to help make up the numbers then lets get him back.
He’s gradually building his confidence I an attack minded side I’ve not witnessed since Quinn and Phillips
I would say he’s loving his football ( you can see it in his face ) he’s under no pressure here-I doubt he would get in your side ? -would the bench be good for him !?
Of course I’m selfish for safc but until the end of season would be best for him
Gem mind

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's doing really well at Sunderland but I still think people need to hold back on the flapping a bit. There's a huge difference between doing it in the championship and being good enough for a club who wants to get back to being the best side in England.

Let him finish the season at Sunderland and reassess in the summer. I still don't think he's going to make it at our club though. He's clearly got enough talent to have a decent career somewhere though I just don't think it will be for us sadly.

Pellestri is also starting for Uruguay for example and isn't even getting a sniff for us right now. This shows just how big the gap is for these young lads to step up.
it’s not like he showed nothing for us prior to this? he had a MOTM performance against wolves, scoring against milan etc.

he clearly needed to improve in areas and it looks like he’s doing that. playing regularly has always been the issue for him. just look how little football he’s actually played in his 18-20 period.

It’s always a cliche but he genuinely looks like a boy turned to a man now. I think he will come back in the summer a different level ready for the PL. He always had the technique but lacked the speed/power/intensity, but the championship is giving him that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Are you a kid at 21? Not at peak obviously and inconsistent sure but you're still a man. If he's good enough which I think he is he should be able to get into the squad.
He can get into the squad. The question is whether he will get any playing time next season.

Bruno will be 29 next season and personally, I think he gets overplayed. But he doesn't seem to be the sort who wants to take any time off. Antony is one of our most expensive buys ever. And he's 23 in a month's time. He will play when fit.

So who would he come in for? 10mins here & there versus playing every match (barring injury) like he is now at Sunderland?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If he develops over the next 6 months at the same rate he has the last 6 months then he could well be ready to stick around next season. The lad has only played about 25 senior games in his life - and at times you can see that - he still has so much to improve on in terms of his positioning off-the-ball and his physicality which makes it even more exciting because despite all that he’s arguably the best player in the championship. At 20.

sglowrider

You have a top talent on your hands with him -not sure what went wrong at Rangers?yesterday we had 9 players under 23 -we have a “new model”of buying and developing and selling for profit ( rather than wasting millions as we have before and finding ourselves ( rightly ) in the 3rd tier for 4 seasons
Diallo is playing in front of 40000 loving it and we love him
Sadly he’s one for you and he should be a diamond for you -we have built up his confidence -you will benefit from that -good luck
I think Mowbray has been a godsend to Amad. He needs to make a statue of Tony and place it in his garden.
I watch almost all the games he played at Rangers. Firstly it was his first real season as a senior pro. But I think GVB had expected a polished item and even gave him the #9 shirt for Rangers. The expectations were way too high.

He was physically bullied off or at least he was like shellshocked by the physicality in the SPL. Secondly the players he was playing with at Rangers were just very agricultural. Poor first touches and felt like they were stuck in the 70s. No triangles or any pass and go movements. Amad would get the ball and basically was lost on what to do next since there wasn't any movement. So his attribute of being able to make the incisive passes or the one-twos was completely wasted. The players and Amad were in a completely different wavelengths.
It was the same at the start of the season at Sunderland -- but I am starting to see a big improvement on the part of Amad in recognising movements and also his teammates are creating space for him to run into and better off the ball movement to pass to. The odd thing was he had some pretty good understanding with Haannibal and Shoretire in the few games he played in the U-23.

Only half a season has gone so I suspect there's still, even more, to see from Amad. He's starting to show what we thought he was capable of when he first came to United.

MalaysianRed7

If Sunderland come up, he has to go back there on loan again. There’s no point doing a Lingard with him by making a player fresh off an incredible loan sit on our bench for a year, especially since he’s many years younger than Lingard. Let him play a year as a guaranteed starter in a Premier League team, in an environment he’s comfortable with and in front of fans, as revolting as they are, who love him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should bring him back next season. Rotate him on the right with Antony and at AM with Bruno. He would get plenty of minutes.
I think it will still be 2 seasons too early. He will go on loan to a top division team next year and we will re-assess him after that. If Sunderland are promoted he will almost certainly go back there and we could make it a 2-year loan from the start as that will give them even more incentive to start him instead of buying their own talent.

C'est Moi Cantona

He’s gradually building his confidence I an attack minded side I’ve not witnessed since Quinn and Phillips
I would say he’s loving his football ( you can see it in his face ) he’s under no pressure here-I doubt he would get in your side ? -would the bench be good for him !?
Of course I’m selfish for safc but until the end of season would be best for him
Gem mind
Problem we have is that if we get a couple of injuries up top, then we're in big trouble, we basically currently have Rashford, Martial, Antony, Garnacho, and Elanga, for three positions, of them, one is just a kid, one is struggling, one very injury prone, and one not really up to the level needed, also we don't really have any money right now to address the situation

We lost Ronaldo, and Sancho might not be back for weeks, if at all this season, so it's not been greedy, I just don't see how we can leave a player like Diallo where he is whilst we are so short.

I was reading one of the Sunderland forums earlier, and it's fair to say you guys love him, and it'd be by far and away the best thing to be able to leave him where he is, but I just don't think we have that luxury.

YikesSchmeics

I'd leave him at Sunderland. Around the same age, Mason Mount was playing Championship for Derby and now he is a regular starter at Chelsea. It is a good league to develop and get used to PL level physicality.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
it’s not like he showed nothing for us prior to this? he had a MOTM performance against wolves, scoring against milan etc.

he clearly needed to improve in areas and it looks like he’s doing that. playing regularly has always been the issue for him. just look how little football he’s actually played in his 18-20 period.

It’s always a cliche but he genuinely looks like a boy turned to a man now. I think he will come back in the summer a different level ready for the PL. He always had the technique but lacked the speed/power/intensity, but the championship is giving him that.
Hope you're right but I'm still not overly convinced myself. Let's wait and see.

I also think Garnacho looks a much much bigger talent and he's a lot younger than Amad isn't he?

Worse case scenario we get some money back on him anyway.

OmarUnited4ever

He is looking good at Sunderland in the Championship so far, hopefully he sustains it throughout the season.

Next season, assuming he comes back with an excellent season on loan, then I guess it will be great to re-integrate him into Ten Hag's system and he becomes one of the main rotational options within the squad and compete for a spot in RW position

Gordon S

If Sunderland come up, he has to go back there on loan again. There’s no point doing a Lingard with him by making a player fresh off an incredible loan sit on our bench for a year, especially since he’s many years younger than Lingard. Let him play a year as a guaranteed starter in a Premier League team, in an environment he’s comfortable with and in front of fans, as revolting as they are, who love him.
Looking at our options up front currently, i really don´t think it is impossible for him to get a lot of minutes for us.

Elanga is probably not good enough even if i´m sure Erik will love his attitude and work ethics.
Garnacho is very talented but still very young and will need some time to fully adapt to this level. A loan might not be a bad idea for him.

the hea

Why are people making up their minds about what should happen to him next season, now? He still has half the season left at Sunderland then he will return and spend the pre season with our first team squad, the management will get a good look at him and then we can start discussing what is best for him next season. If their is an opening in the squad and he looks good enough to step up then he should stay but if not another loan might be the best option.
There is no point making up your minds about that now, there are to much that can happen in the coming 8 months to make a qualified guess of what is best for him and our team come August.

CM

Hope you're right but I'm still not overly convinced myself. Let's wait and see.

I also think Garnacho looks a much much bigger talent and he's a lot younger than Amad isn't he?

Different types of player, to be fair. Garnacho is a skilled footballer too but he's very quick and direct and it's easier to make an impression early on at first team level when you've got those traits.

Amad's qualities are a bit more subtle. He's a good dribbler, agile and has a great weight of pass. I wouldn't want to make predictions on who will go further because they're both very talented but it certainly isn't as cut and dry as you suggest.

Remember the geese

Gem mind
You are right, of course. Amad needs to stay with you guys until the end of the season. Come the summer we will have a big decision to make. Some fans have little patience unfortunately and he and his fee has been mocked/criticised. However, Amad has always been a big talent and one who I have never doubted. Personally, I'd like to take him back next season, but I'd be delighted if you guys took Elanga on loan in his place. He's in desperate need of a loan.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

I'm not so sure about that. Sunderland right now are one of the better sides in the Championship and that's perfect for him. Should they go up, they will be in a relegation battle and that is the last thing Amad needs.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would love for him to do bits at Sunderland and then we manage to engineer a loan move to somewhere like Brighton for a season. I think he would do well in that set up and the transition to a ten Hag system from a de Zerbi one wouldn't be all that huge.

Remember the geese

Different types of player, to be fair. Garnacho is a skilled footballer too but he's very quick and direct and it's easier to make an impression early on at first team level when you've got those traits.

Amad's qualities are a bit more subtle. He's a good dribbler, agile and has a great weight of pass. I wouldn't want to make predictions on who will go further because they're both very talented but it certainly isn't as cut and dry as you suggest.
Yeah, they are completely different types. I certainly wouldn't say that Garnacho was more talented.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

garnacho is more flashy / direct in his play that looks more exciting. Amad is more of a technical playmaker with the ability to pass/move in tight areas and get away a shot or key pass.

Hard to say 1 will be better than the other in the end but of course both great talents

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Watching him at Sunderland, his position/skillset is actually pretty similar to Sancho's. In that, they're both slightly faster, slightly less-cultured versions of a Mata/David Silva player.

Which is great, but I do worry about our system accomodating that type of player. Clearly never worked with Mata. United has always been a team built around speed and some directness. Maybe ETH's version can be more acommodating, but both Amad/Sancho strike me more as Pep players at the moment.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

I agree, and I would go further and say that I definitely think Amad should be seen as having slightly higher potential than Garnacho. It is always easier for speedsters to adopt to men’s football.

Just how I see it, Amad’s top potential probably lies in being able to become sort of a Bernardo Silva type of player for his team. While there are guys in Garnacho’s mold — like Hazard and Robben — who reach the absolute top, I don’t quiet think it’s reasonable to put Garnacho in that mold. But it’s a lot easier for that type, to like a Dan James type come in and contribute. While a Bernardo Silva type that isn’t ready, could do more harm than he would help if that makes sense.

Cloud7

Not if he is going to come and sit on the bench here rather than develop further. The boy has been starved 2 years worth of game time, so he needs to be playing competitive games.

I'm not saying he should be a starter, but if he can average 40-45 mins over 2 games, then I'd be happy if he stayed with United.
The thing is, none of our wide players except Rashford are really putting in any top notch performances. Unless that drastically changes by the end of the season I see no reason why Amad should not have a chance at playing regularly for us.

Remember the geese

So is he more AM or RW?
He's played the majority of his football so far out wide. Sunderland have used him centrally on occasion though. I suppose it would depend on what the manager's principles are and what he wants to do tactically. He's a similar type of player to Sancho in that he's more of a playmaker than an inside forward. David Silva played wide for many years, but was perfectly adept centrally and proved that consistently for City. Amad could be similar, but perhaps that will only be something that we see regularly after he has matured. I quite like what I see from him centrally, as he gets on the ball more and you can see his influence on the game grow. He's definitely someone who you want to have as many touches as possible.

Last edited:

sglowrider

He's played the majority of his football so far out wide. Sunderland have used him centrally on occasion though. I suppose it would depend on what the manager's principles are and what he wants to do tactically. He's a similar type of player to Sancho in that he's more of a playmaker than an inside forward. David Silva played wide for many years, but was perfectly adept centrally and proved that consistently for City. Amad could be similar, but perhaps that will only be something that we see regularly after he has matured. I quite like what I see from him centrally, as he gets on the ball more and you can see his influence on the game grow. He's definitely someone who you want to have as many touches as possible.
This.

Remember the geese

Garnacho is more physically gifted but lets see if he can expand his game in his 2nd season.
Agreed and that tends to lead itself better to a more striking/instant impact. However I would still say that having watched Garnacho for the academy sides, he has been better at first team level than I thought he would be. I always viewed him as a good/very good talent, but he may go on to prove himself to be a special player. Let's hope so anyway!

Yakuza_devils

Happy to hear that Amad is doing well in championship. But remember that there is a big jump from championship to EPL. EPL is the pinnacle of Europe/World league football. Hence, the standard is much higher.

Next season he should be loaned out to a EPL team to continue his development playing week in week out. He should only come back to us when he is ready.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The best game I've seen Amad play was against Wolves (away) and he was utilised in a central attacking role (false#9). And that game if I'm mistaken was his full debut for United and I thought he was absolutely superb, where his touch, technique, combination play and weight of pass was exquisite, whilst exhibiting fantastic composure. I don't think Solskjaer and Rangnick gave him enough chances and that was likely due to how both the aforementioned men view football.

Amad will be 21 when he returns to United and I personally hope we make a decision to either give him significant game time or sell him with a buy back clause. I think we need to be more decisive when it comes to making decisions on the younger players. And James Garner was a good example of us doing just that, where ten Hag made a decision and he was then moved on for 15 to 20m.