Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp | Depp wins on all 3 counts

UpWithRivers

I didnt watch the whole trial but I am confused why anyone would still stick up for Amber. What am I missing? She presented nothing to prove assault except her sister. Nada. Nothing on the tapes. The pictures were obviously non originals and showed minor damage at a stretch. No medical evidence. Nothing. What did I miss except he's an alcoholic drug user and he sent some mean txts?

Red Stone

No medical evidence. Nothing
According to Bredehoft the medical evidence was suppressed. Heard reported all incidents of violence to her therapist, but wasn't allowed to prove that in court.

I don't know about you guys, but when I get beaten senseless, have my face split open, my nose broken and my vagina ravaged by a bottle, I prefer to get it checked out by psychologists exclusively.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You’re saying the jury was on social media? I didn’t find anything definitive on that, they were apparently instructed not to turn on their phones lest they have a news alert on the trial show up, you’d think they were instructed to stay off social media.

“The jury is not sequestered, but they were advised not to read or research the case, even to turn off their cell phone notifications to prevent them from accidentally seeing a news alert.”

https://deadline.com/2022/04/johnny-depp-amber-heard-trial-virginia-1235000402/
So when they went home, they didn't turn on their cell phones? I'm in the UK and not watching it or reading much about it and have been swamped with pushed YT videos about Amber Heard "disgraced" or lies.

Drainy

According to Bredehoft the medical evidence was suppressed. Heard reported all incidents of violence to her therapist, but wasn't allowed to prove that in court.

I don't know about you guys, but when I get beaten senseless, have my face split open, my nose broken and my vagina ravaged by a bottle, I prefer to get it checked out by psychologists exclusively.
My understanding is that the ruling is correct. (could be wrong though - not an expert, don't claim to be)

If there were physical injuries then the medical records would be admitted, however therapist notes of events she says have happened would be hearsay because its just her testifying to something she previously said.

Even if they support her stories, which I'm sceptical of given her character and how many of her stories change over time, it would be bolstering through a third party.

Moby

Dick
So when they went home, they didn't turn on their cell phones? I'm in the UK and not watching it or reading much about it and have been swamped with pushed YT videos about Amber Heard "disgraced" or lies.
Those videos are from footage for which the jury was present physically. If anything they'd be the first ones who would be able know if something that was filmed in court was being wrongly portrayed.

Drainy

If they watched the videos there should be a mistrial.

If they saw the thumbnails it's more of a nuanced question, especially since Amber Heard told them while on the witness stand that the internet was calling her a liar and described how it was overwhelmingly siding with Depp during the trial.

So they already know thanks to Heard.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
From what I have seen, virtually everyone who actually watched a decent amount of the trial has agreed with the verdict. Those who haven’t watched it, but have just seen the headlines, seem to be those questioning it.

Before all this kicked off, I didn’t know much about the UK case and was under the impression that Depp was a proven abuser. Having now bothered to actually find out a bit about that case, I realise it was heavily flawed and that no such conclusion could reasonably be drawn. All that was proven was that the Sun had reasonable belief that what they were printing was true - and of course they had that belief since Amber was their source. At no point was the validity of the claims or the context really judged.

This time round, I have been following the trial fairly closely, and have come to the conclusion that Amber is trash. Not all women, just her, and that is based on what she has said and done, not and ingrained prejudice or hatred for women.

Depp is absolutely not perfect, but he comes across as more authentic, more open about his own flaws (which on the balance of things, are less harmful to those around him). He lost several big movie contracts as well as his reputation, whilst Heard got all the limelight as a survivor. We now know the reality of the situation better, and that clearly doesn’t seem fair - and that for me is why so many people have sided with Depp.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I don’t think that makes you specifically a misogynist, no, if that’s the validation you’re after.

There have been others in this thread with ongoing dismissive attitude towards women, however.
:lol:

You're a wum.

Red Stone

My understanding is that the ruling is correct. (could be wrong though - not an expert, don't claim to be)

If there were physical injuries then the medical records would be admitted, however therapist notes of events she says have happened would be hearsay because its just her testifying to something she previously said.

Even if they support her stories, which I'm sceptical of given her character and how many of her stories change over time, it would be bolstering through a third party.
That's my point. If she had serious injuries and the only doctor with any evidence of them is a therapist, she probably doesn't have serious injuries.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That's my point. If she had serious injuries and the only doctor with any evidence of them is a therapist, she probably doesn't have serious injuries.
The thing that gets me is that surely if she had evidence of all these heinous allegations (like being raped with a bottle), surely she would file for proper criminal charges? Why only file for defamation if you are sitting on this mountain of evidence and consider yourself a voice/icon for domestic abuse survivors?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because they don't see that a man can be a victim of domestic violence, it's so blinkered it's almost funny.
It's funny because even if you consider that she is also a victim, she is definitely a perpetrator. What is chilling is the fact that apparently for a large part of the public/media your identity is more important than what you did/how you behave.

phelans shorts

Sure, but this suggests that the methodology is flawed. There have been other celebrity trials, surely if there has been serious problem discovered with juries that aren’t sequestered being influenced, we would have seen this jury sequestered?

To me, to argue the system is flawed seems like a pretty big stretch. If there was a better argument for why the jury was wrong surely Heard’s team would have lead with that?

I suppose it’s possible the jury went out and viewed social media and were biased but it, but surely we need evidence before we speculate the jury system doesn’t work?

I’m happy to stay open minded. I’m most interested in whether Heard will be tried for perjury. If that’s not perjury then I’m not sure what is!

Of course that would be negated if she won on appeal, so we have to wait and remain open minded.
The American system is deeply flawed and has been for a long ass time. How court tv can be a thing is an utter mystery to me and is totally at odds with any functional legal system.

Has it had an effect on this case? Impossible to say. Amber Heard is absolutely not in the position to be arguing this especially when we know that it’s not going to be changed, because America is an absolute hellhole capitalist cult where whatever drives content is king. These were the facts for the OJ trial through to this and everything in between.

However the narrative that others have pushed that social media won’t have any effect is just utter nonsense. If social media had no effect then Brexit wouldn’t have happened, Trump wouldn’t have been elected etc… because that’s the modern battleground for propaganda and spin.

You’ve got a system that’s built on trust, in an era when people trying their best get bombarded with this stuff the second they turn on their phone, it does get through even to those as I say, that are trying their best. Especially when everybody else is watching like vultures ready to take their flesh at every opportunity by remarking on the case. As flawed as the Common Law system is in the UK it is incomparably fairer than what we see in America purely for the relative lack of information that gets out (for what it’s worth there’s definitely kickback over here to even court reporters live tweeting statements alone made in ongoing cases).

It’s utterly crazy to me and this case has been unavoidable for weeks.

Anustart89

If you gave a damn about the victims of domestic abuse, you wouldn't be celebrating him.
This statement is just too damn funny.

"Tell the world, Johnny, tell them,'Johnny Depp, I, a man, I'm a victim too of domestic violence'. And see how many people believe or side with you"

She doesn't need to worry about you believing him, that's for sure

Anustart89

And obviously, if that psychologist had been told about (edit: and seen) those damages, he or she definitely wouldn't have told her patient to seek medical attention for the injuries and instead treated them with psychotherapy, because nothing closes wounds and heals broken bones like cognitive behavioral therapy.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I didn't watch UK trial, it wasn't televised, not many have good understand about it. I don't pretend to have full knowledge about it, that's why I don't talk about it. I'd love to hear opinion from someone whom witnessed it day in day out but unlikely that person would show up here itt.

I only know AH wasn't the main party, she had little to do with UK trial other than being a witness(which has been proven as an unreliable one in US trial).
UK trial was a libel trial of JD and the Sun, in which news media is fully protected by Freedom of press. There were clear differences.

It's also worth mentioning that Domestic violence is a criminal offense in UK and this trial wasn't about that at all. And when we talk about civil standard, it's based on the balance of probabilities, meaning it just needs to be “more likely than not,” which could literally be 51% vs 49%.
Long story short is, Judge ruled that "The Sun is allowed to call JD a wifebeater by civil standard" he didn't say JD was a wifebeater, that'd be a criminal offense.
From my understanding, Main stream media don't have to tell factual truth. As long as their source comes from first party, they can print everything.

You feel free to agree with the Sun though.
As I’ve said in other posts, I really hope that the actual truth matches the jury verdict.

I quoted the judge in the UK case specifically because it’s relevant, and because he stated clearly that he believed abuse had occurred . I completely agree that the main thrust of the trial was whether the Sun was being reasonable (rather than being right), and that leaves the door open for Depp to be innocent but still lose the case in a legally sound way.

And you can surely do better than ‘feel free to agree with The Sun’, it’s petty point scoring and not relevant.

phelans shorts

Is court TV not the logical extension of public gallaries... Which is kinda core to the transparency of functional legal systems?
No, it’s absolutely not. For it allows an ongoing case to become the kind of talking point it has here when ideally nothing should be known outside the court until a case is done.

Outside factors need to be minimised to allow a fair trial. Regardless of if the outcome was correct (I have no idea on this one, didn’t watch any of it just got bombarded online. I know the OJ one was) there’s no way anybody can argue that this case was fair with the level of outside chatter.

ArjenIsM3

This statement is just too damn funny.

"Tell the world, Johnny, tell them,'Johnny Depp, I, a man, I'm a victim too of domestic violence'. And see how many people believe or side with you"

She doesn't need to worry about you believing him, that's for sure
Yep. The audio tapes Depp's team played in court alone are enough proof that she's the agressor. Depp's obviously no saint and his substance abuse is a problem but Heard's a proper psycho who's been lying through her teeth throughout this case. How people can still defend her is beyond me. This has nothing to do with misogyny. She's just publicly showed that she's a horrible person and is getting called out on it.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
She will be called Amber Turd for the rest of her life :lol:

Domestic abuser, used the metoo movement for her own personal gain horrible, horrible person who destroyed her victims life.

The posters in here still defending is shocking. She lied repeatedly on the stand, tampered with evidence, had that been Depp the wanna be Turd shaggers would have had a heart attack.

Take the L team Turdo.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
No, it’s absolutely not. For it allows an ongoing case to become the kind of talking point it has here when ideally nothing should be known outside the court until a case is done.

Outside factors need to be minimised to allow a fair trial. Regardless of if the outcome was correct (I have no idea on this one, didn’t watch any of it just got bombarded online. I know the OJ one was) there’s no way anybody can argue that this case was fair with the level of outside chatter.
Well if your correct it will be a simple thing for ms turds lawyers to challenge the result

arnie_ni

As I’ve said in other posts, I really hope that the actual truth matches the jury verdict.
Do you say this after every jury case or just one where a woman is the abuser?

Seems you're going out of your way not to agree with what everyone has seen and heard the past few weeks.

phelans shorts

Well if your correct it will be a simple thing for ms turds lawyers to challenge the result
Stuff like that nickname only proves my point (and by the way it’s utterly horrifying that a case about this serious a subject has been turned into essentially a meme).

But as I said originally, that then becomes a battle against the entire broken legal system of a broken country, it’s a battle that cannot be won.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I pledge to never call her Ms Turd again. Its disrespectful.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Do you say this after every jury case or just one where a woman is the abuser?

Seems you're going out of your way not to agree with what everyone has seen and heard the past few weeks.
In every case. I wish I could feel sure that the verdict was the right one but I just don’t feel confident.

The Urban Goose

She can come back from this, people love a redemption arc. Whether she has the humility or maturity to do so however is a different question.

cyberman

She will be called Amber Turd for the rest of her life :lol:

Domestic abuser, used the metoo movement for her own personal gain horrible, horrible person who destroyed her victims life.

The posters in here still defending is shocking. She lied repeatedly on the stand, tampered with evidence, had that been Depp the wanna be Turd shaggers would have had a heart attack.

Take the L team Turdo.
Yep. She had a chance to argue her entire case for a month and..nothing. Nobody bar her sister backed her up.
There’s absolutely nothing here for anybody to argue Amber could be wronged.
There’s an argument that is hurts genuine claims but that’s on Amber, she’s the liar. I can understand uneasiness as a broad picture but Amber Heard did not fecking represent all abuse cases here. She is a proven liar

Drainy

It's hilarious that the media are continuing to set themselves ablaze to defend Amber Heard.

The public got to see the trial, they saw the evidence, continuing to pretend reality doesn't exist is just furthering mistrust in them as an institution.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's hilarious that the media are continuing to set themselves ablaze to defend Amber Heard.

The public got to see the trial, they saw the evidence, continuing to pretend reality doesn't exist is just furthering mistrust in them as an institution.
It takes a big person to admit they were wrong, when was the last time a media apologized for its bad or wrong takes on things ?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Yep. She had a chance to argue her entire case for a month and..nothing. Nobody bar her sister backed her up.
There’s absolutely nothing here for anybody to argue Amber could be wronged.
There’s an argument that is hurts genuine claims but that’s on Amber, she’s the liar. I can understand uneasiness as a broad picture but Amber Heard did not fecking represent all abuse cases here. She is a proven liar
Stands on trial and lies yet they still try to defend her as some bastion of truth. She abused Depp, instigated fights, laughed at him when she was violent because rather than retaliate he would go into other rooms to escape the abuse.

The only reason she is upset is because its going to hit her financially and her career has gone down the pan.

She also shat in his bed.

She nasty.

Stactix

In every case. I wish I could feel sure that the verdict was the right one but I just don’t feel confident.
The one thing that should give you some comfort is that if Amber was telling the truth, she would not of needed to provide altered images with redacted meta data. There also would definetly not be a potential case for perjury in 3 fecking countries.

She lied so easily about the little pointless things that gained her nothing, if I was ever in court.. I'd certainly not risk lying about anything let alone faking taking notes :lol:

R'hllor

It's weird because if you're as neutral as you portray yourself to be, then you shouldn't be biased as to the outcome. Hmm...
Well you cant be that fake to backpaddle back to Depp side, middle is far closer, go there and pretend you never had a horce in this race.

Anustart89

Well you cant be that fake to backpaddle back to Depp side, middle is far closer, go there and pretend you never had a horce in this race.
Don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or if you misunderstood me (I didn't mean the "you" in my post as "you R'hllor"). I was making a comment about the people who claimed to be in the middle now having completely vanished, clearly showing their bias as opposed to if they actually were in the middle.

And it wouldn't even be that fake to backpedal to Depp's side. It would just be siding with the judicial system that has given a verdict in this case. But these people have tied themselves so hard to the mast that it can't be that they are on the wrong side of the argument. Now it's the legal system that needs ripping up, people aren't allowed to be in courtrooms, live streaming of trials should be forbidden, good lawyers for the plaintiff should be abolished. It could be anything apart from Amber Heard being a piece of shit. Anything but that.

Sviken

It's the following quote, combined with another poster's hilarious/scary claim and continued insistense that you can't break your nose without having black eyes for weeks.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. You can break a nose, true, but it will certainly be swollen. And don't try start giving me this bullshit about makeup because makeup is not magic and won't be able to cover swelling. And it's not only her nose that broke, she testified that Depp punched her in the face repeatedly with huge rings, raped her with a bottle and dragged her through glass. All of that and she makes an appearance on late night show the next day with visibly no injuries and didn't require any medical attention. Yeah, right. Are you trying to claim she has Wolverine-tier regenerative powers or something?

phelans shorts

Don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or if you misunderstood me (I didn't mean the "you" in my post as "you R'hllor"). I was making a comment about the people who claimed to be in the middle now having completely vanished, clearly showing their bias as opposed to if they actually were in the middle.

And it wouldn't even be that fake to backpedal to Depp's side. It would just be siding with the judicial system that has given a verdict in this case. But these people have tied themselves so hard to the mast that it can't be that they are on the wrong side of the argument. Now it's the legal system that needs ripping up, people aren't allowed to be in courtrooms, live streaming of trials should be forbidden, good lawyers for the plaintiff should be abolished. Anything but Amber Heard being a piece of shit. Anything but that.
As far as I’m aware I’m the only person talking about ripping the legal system up and banning livestreams (no issue with public galleries at all, you’ve made that bit up) and I’ve posted nothing positive about Heard.

All I’ve seen of this case is what was on my social media and I’ve flicked through, so I’ve no opinion on if Depp or Heard did XYZ, from what I have read about this case I actually believe they probably have reached the largely correct conclusion.

So nice try, Mr. Anus (if that is your real name) but misrepresentation doesn’t help anyone.

Anustart89

As far as I’m aware I’m the only person talking about ripping the legal system up and banning livestreams (no issue with public galleries at all, you’ve made that bit up) and I’ve posted nothing positive about Heard.

All I’ve seen of this case is what was on my social media and I’ve flicked through, so I’ve no opinion on if Depp or Heard did XYZ, from what I have read about this case I actually believe they probably have reached the largely correct conclusion.

So nice try, Mr. Anus (if that is your real name) but misrepresentation doesn’t help anyone.
It wasn't aimed at you personally, I can't say I've even noticed your name specifically in this thread. It's a point made against an amalgamation of opinions posted since the verdict across the caf and media. Don't worry, I wasn't targeting you with my anus you homophobe, xo.