America's favourite national pastime: Hating soccer

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Baseball, basketball, American football, hockey, and association football are all team sports. How do the sports themselves glorify the individual over the team??
Individualism is commonplace in the major US sports. QBs, PGs, Kobe/LeBron etc., homerun hitters, pitchers and centers or wing players who do most of the scoring. Football applauds individuals in the sport but it's always about the team

You only need to look back as far as a couple weeks ago when the San Antonio Spurs beat Lebron James and the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals to disprove that. Something also tells me you've never seen an NHL game.
I played hockey as a kid in Detroit and followed the Red Wings like many locals, so no. Although Yzerman's team, while largely foreigners, was an example of team as were the Pistons during the Bad Boy era. They are the exceptions, not the rule

And youth sports is often about the team but professional sports in America is a different animal altogether

Every sport has their stars and role players. If anything, one can make the argument that there's no other sport where individual celebrations are as tolerated as association football. Case in point, watch a Ronaldo goal celebration.
You mean the NFL doesn't have TD celebrations that are all about me, me, me like CR? Come on.

Conversely in baseball, if a player hits a HR and flips his bat exuberantly or takes too long of a trot around the bases, someone is getting plunked. In the NFL, penalties are strictly enforced for celebrations deemed too excessive
Those rules are newer and have often been in a constant state of flux. When TO danced on the Dallas Cowboys star (Without penalty, btw), you think a rival footballer would be able to disrespect the opponent's home pitch/club etc without a major consequence?

Why is that even relevant? If it's true, who cares where it originated from? Unless there's something you're leaving out, you really do come across as someone with an unreasonable hatred for America.
American research on the origins of the term for a game they neither invented nor call the same as 95% of the planet? How is that not relevant? I've done enough in the world of research to know that agendas are relevant regardless of trying to shoot the messenger

Stocar

Baseball, basketball, American football, hockey, and association football are all team sports. How do the sports themselves glorify the individual over the team?? You only need to look back as far as a couple weeks ago when the San Antonio Spurs beat Lebron James and the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals to disprove that. Something also tells me you've never seen an NHL game. Every sport has their stars and role players. If anything, one can make the argument that there's no other sport where individual celebrations are as tolerated as association football. Case in point, watch a Ronaldo goal celebration. Conversely in baseball, if a player hits a HR and flips his bat exuberantly or takes too long of a trot around the bases, someone is getting plunked. In the NFL, penalties are strictly enforced for celebrations deemed too excessive.

Why is that even relevant? If it's true, who cares where it originated from? Unless there's something you're leaving out, you really do come across as someone with an unreasonable hatred for America.
He has a point actually. Technically, all mentioned are team sports. But in football there is significantly less focus on individual. You can't just give the ball to best player and let him do his thing, at least not as nearly to an extent Americans are used to. And American sport mythology is based exactly on that.

There are many other confounding issues: low scoring, lack of extreme physicality, media coverage... I simply don't see Americans apreciating player like Xavi: boring unathletic midget who rarely scores or does anything spectacular.

Zak Smith

Makes me sick to the inner core that the nation which invented the beautiful game is being surpassed on the world stage by the country which calls football "soccer".

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I think historically Americans did not like soccer because of the unique nature of the US immigrant experience. Soccer was part of a culture that European immigrants to the US left behind. To become American you played and followed American sports. It was a way to assimilate. My grandparents emigrated from Russia-mainly because of persecution. It's not like they wanted to keep the beloved traditions of Czarist Russia alive. Rather-they wanted their children to be Americans-as they understood it.

The immigrant experience is changing from that of the early 20th century. I think there's more cultural support for keeping traditions of the "old country" and still being an American. So-more recent immigrants still retain their interest in soccer. And-for 3rd and 4th generation kids of immigrants-well, they're fully assimilated so can enjoy soccer without the issue of worrying about adopting American interests.

Lance Uppercut

Makes me sick to the inner core that the nation which invented the beautiful game is being surpassed on the world stage by the country which calls football "soccer".
The term 'soccer' originated in England.

Stretford Red1978

Well, Ann Coulter is a IRL-Troll .. A stupid conservative anti-semit racist anti-hbtq whore who only have one purpose in her life, being violently gangraped by a bunch of afro-americans ... fecking stupid whore of a yank, waste of breathe.. You can look up some other genious columns she has wroten, and quotes she have said..
Whoah there chicken!

surf

These kinds of articles convey to me that their writers are insecure about the hitherto dominant position of their preferred sports. So they lash out. The USA stands almost alone in its disdain for soccer. And the walls are crumbling from within. For girls and women, soccer is already the game of choice. Some universities (and community colleges) have ditched their men's American football team for soccer - UC Santa Barbara for one. I see more people wearing soccer replica shirts than from any other sport.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
America's favourite national pastime: Hating Coulter

tomac

Dont they have some thing called the world series where no other country participates? I think they call it soft ball or something.

tomac

They call their game football but they only play with their hands

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The insane number of feckwits surfacing during this World Cup pitying Ronaldo for Portugal not being as good as his +30m comrades at Real Madrid, instead of criticizing his lack of team spirit, makes me wonder for how long will the idea that football focuses on the team more than individuals (as opposed to American sports) have any merit. The more money and marketing is involved, the more people will seek spear-heading stars.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The insane number of feckwits surfacing during this World Cup pitying Ronaldo for Portugal not being as good as his +30m comrades at Real Madrid, instead of criticizing his lack of team spirit, makes me wonder for how long will the idea that football focuses on the team more than individuals (as opposed to American sports) have any merit. The more money and marketing is involved, the more people will seek spear-heading stars.
Why do you have to blame Ronaldo for everything ? Are you capable of posting without mentioning him ?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Why do you have to blame Ronaldo for everything ? Are you capable of posting without mentioning him ?
I am a Portuguese poster posting on RedCafe during a World Cup, does it surprise you that Ronaldo is one of the most frequent topics I get involved in? Why do you always jump on his defense, many times with inane and unrelated arguments (such as "but no one never passed him the ball")?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The reason Football is not one of the mainstream sports in the U. S. is the generation that follows it hasn't grown up yet. Nothing else. People I talk to every day my age bring up the World Cup to me ONLY because they know I'm from England. Of course they have no idea who is who on any team apart fromMessi/Ronaldo.
Anybody over 30 is not watching football except for big internationals. As parents, this generation have a huge influence on what is popular in sports. Kids have constantly been bombarded with their parents love for anything not football in sports so it will take some time for it to really grab.
It is popular amongst youngsters to play and they are the ones watching it on media, so until the older generation disappears it will remain a sport in the background of mainstream America

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I think part of the reason they hate soccer is because it's one of the sports they are unable to create superstars of their own in the same way they had Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, A-Rod, Brett Favre, Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis. It's one of the sports they are unable to dominate. So they'd rather pretend the rest of the world is following a shit sport. Most of their players are meh by global standards. If they had world class players in the mould of Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovic or even a cnut like Suarez they wouldn't frown upon it so much.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Life's too short to pay attention to every deluded idiot in the world. The fact that most of them are working for FOX news, makes it even easier to ignore them.

Also, who gives a feck why Americans hate football?

Last edited:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I am a Portuguese poster posting on RedCafe during a World Cup, does it surprise you that Ronaldo is one of the most frequent topics I get involved in? Why do you always jump on his defense, many times with inane and unrelated arguments (such as "but no one never passed him the ball")?
I didn't know you were Portuguese. Carry on then. I guess it's normal practice for you to criticize your own countrymen ?

txred

Could have sworn I heard a SportsCenter anchor earlier tonight say that Fellaini was the world's best player in the air during their USA-Belgium preview. :houllier:
You did. Compared him to Blake Griffin :houllier:.

She knew it would get the reaction it did and you can bet she will get on several talk shows (mainly on Fox) in the coming days to "expound" on what she really meant, which will then be parlayed into a plug for a recent book she's written.
Oh, you're right and she/her PR team accomplished exactly what they intended. The real concern is that she has the platform for such vitriol and that some (albeit not many, in all likelihood) will agree with her. Then you the Keith Olbermanns criticizing the game because the US advanced after a loss to Germany. "It's an embarrassment," they say. It boggles the mind and is prevalent in mainstream, not only amongst shock jocks, but also more respected journalists.

Last edited:

bpet15

The reason Football is not one of the mainstream sports in the U. S. is the generation that follows it hasn't grown up yet. Nothing else. People I talk to every day my age bring up the World Cup to me ONLY because they know I'm from England. Of course they have no idea who is who on any team apart fromMessi/Ronaldo.
Anybody over 30 is not watching football except for big internationals. As parents, this generation have a huge influence on what is popular in sports. Kids have constantly been bombarded with their parents love for anything not football in sports so it will take some time for it to really grab.
It is popular amongst youngsters to play and they are the ones watching it on media, so until the older generation disappears it will remain a sport in the background of mainstream America
We have a winner!

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I didn't know you were Portuguese. Carry on then. I guess it's normal practice for you to criticize your own countrymen ?
Are you serious? Ronaldo was criticizing his countrymen, I was defending them. You were behaving like a fan-girl not addressing any of my points and saying it was right of him to do that. Get a grip.

Stocar

You did. Compared him Blake Griffin :houllier:.
No wonder really. He's big and physical, he SCORED and plays at major club. So he must be really good.

Every 4 years people get optimistic about football becoming big in America, but it will never be equal to American sports. It's not perceived as masculine enough. It has no brute power and athleticism of hockey, American football and basketball (NBA players are probably biggest athletic freaks on planet). Baseball is special category as it's so deeply ingrained in American masculine culture.

Football will steadily gain popularity, but most talented kids will always opt for American sports.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Are you serious? Ronaldo was criticizing his countrymen, I was defending them. You were behaving like a fan-girl not addressing any of my points and saying it was right of him to do that. Get a grip.
I should get a grip ? You're guilty of the same thing so I'm not sure why you were upset when he did it. You were upset that he criticized his countrymen while you're here criticizing him, your own countryman.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I should get a grip ? You're guilty of the same thing so I'm not sure why you were upset when he did it. You were upset that he criticized his countrymen while you're here criticizing him, your own countryman.
Are you as sanctimonious in the Gerard thread? Because I've yet to see any of his fellow countryman, of which there are plenty in RedCafe, complimenting him there. I do criticize Ronaldo a lot, because I don't have a special sympathy for him even though I admire him as a player. I've made no criticism to his last game for example, on which I think he gave it all. I barely touched his football performances which I think were as good as expected (it's others who expect too much). I just think he's a poor excuse for a captain, and criticized him for that role, as well as everyone else for not stepping him, somewhat diminishing his guilt in the process. I try to give a context to my criticism, you on the other hand jump on his defense irrespective of context - a blind fan girl in my book.

jaimoe

The best thing about Americans on good old Football is that they use our own gifs/comedy about the game as if they made them to mock it.....football has the best self-deprecating fans. America can't handle it when you mock their shit.

Same deal with Hockey actually, they do it with that too.
No , that is the Canadians. You sound highly educated.

Moriarty

No wonder really. He's big and physical, he SCORED and plays at major club. So he must be really good.

Every 4 years people get optimistic about football becoming big in America, but it will never be equal to American sports. It's not perceived as masculine enough. It has no brute power and athleticism of hockey, American football and basketball (NBA players are probably biggest athletic freaks on planet). Baseball is special category as it's so deeply ingrained in American masculine culture.

Football will steadily gain popularity, but most talented kids will always opt for American sports.
I think you're right. That's where the money is. There may well be college scholarships for soccer players, but nowhere near what's on offer for football or basketball. MLS is far bigger now that when I first went to America but it has got a long way to go before it can compete for air time with the established sports.

jaimoe

To be fair though, there's no other position in any sport that can influence the outcome of a game or match more than a quarterback in American football. QBs are by far the single-biggest determining factor of winning or losing, as far as positions go.
Pitching in baseball. A qb can hand the ball off 45 times if he needs to, A dominant performance from a pitcher takes all of the offense away from the opponent.

jaimoe

it's funny; this thread started based on a parody written by some moron, a parody designed to incite riot in people that not only like football but also understand a lot of the nuances of it. A lot of you are using it as a platform to assail American football, baseball, whatever, though I suspect a lot of that comes from WUM.

Her viewpoint is so far from representative of how Americans view football that it is comical, which is why I call it a parody. The only thing I would grant is that there are many Americans that want nothing to do with football because they can't understand the offside rule, or diving, or playing for a tie.

My town has professional baseball, NFL, two very good major college BB teams, NHL an hour away and I prefer to watch Utd over 90% of that. What are ya'll afraid of?

Hells bells, now I even know what a WUM is!

jaimoe

I think you're right. That's where the money is. There may well be college scholarships for soccer players, but nowhere near what's on offer for football or basketball. MLS is far bigger now that when I first went to America but it has got a long way to go before it can compete for air time with the established sports.
If football ever gets to the point where it can generate as much advertising and sponsor money as basketball and American football does then you will see more on tv. There are scholarships for soccer at most colleges that would be equivalent in dollar value to other scholarships on an individual basis, as for dollars committed to football scholarships vs soccer or basektball the size of the squad involved is very different.

MLS is getting better but is not anywhere near the quality of major leagues in other countries that I have seen on occasion.