Amy Coney-Barrett | Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Graham with a Freudian slip.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
That caught my attention too, but to be fair she has done very good during the hearings.
I’m following them through CSpan on youtube
And she named four of the freedoms and didnt remember the right to assembly

edit: not assembly, but protest

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That caught my attention too, but to be fair she has done very good during the hearings.
I’m following them through CSpan on youtube
And she named four of the freedoms and didnt remember the right to assembly

edit: not assembly, but protest
"Summer 2020, Amy. Just think of summer 2020"

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
87 years, Christ on a bike. There should be an age limit for something as important as the senate.
She's been useless for years. She really should have stepped down years ago. Why she doesn't is telling.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
thread:

and an article:
If Democrats take back the Senate, and Congress is in a position to pass climate legislation next year, it could include provisions in those laws that strip the courts’ ability to challenge them—a tool used commonly by the right. “The Constitution in Article 3 gives the Congress a huge amount of authority to set up the courts and structure their jurisdiction,” Moyn says. “If Congress says the courts can’t help certain kinds of litigants, then the courts are powerless. Liberals and the left should want to use that power.” Rethinking basic legal ideology for a new generation will take more time.

Traditionally, climate has been thought about in the realm of so-called social issues, floating above supposedly meatier subjects like trade and the economy. Neither the Koch brothers nor the Federalist Society tend to see it that way, and thanks to her training, Amy Coney Barrett probably won’t, either. For the government to keep working in a warmer world and stave off its worst effects, people like Barrett will need to have less power to obstruct life-saving policy—and law schools will have to produce many fewer people like her.
https://newrepublic.com/article/159766/supreme-court-designed-kill-climate-policies

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Not really. Just wing win media stirring the pot. The entire three days of hearings went remarkably smoothly compared to Kavanaugh.
The media told Sen Kennedy about the boston professor calling her a white colonist for adopting two kids of color? Honest question.
And yes, it’s going smoothier than kavanaugh hearings but he harassed a former employee and “forgot” to tell that he was under investigation for misconduct

Tiber

87 years, Christ on a bike. There should be an age limit for something as important as the senate.
Couple more years and she will be old enough for a run at the presidency

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
things are getting ugly

The Blaze as a reputable news source? These are the twats that gave Tomi fecking Lahren her springboard into the public consciousness. That alone puts them into the same batshit stratosphere as Newsmax & WND.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The blaze is just showing what a senator told ACB
That’s not a source
Of course it’s a source, it is showing news, somewhat breaking news in this case.

Okay, for the semantically-focused among us, The Blaze is a dubious news platform due to the loons they have had on their site.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Of course it’s a source, it is showing news, somewhat breaking news in this case.

Okay, for the semantically-focused among us, The Blaze is a dubious news platform due to the loons they have had on their site.
Ok. Now i know that and I won’t argue it, i’m sure you know better
Anyway, in this case, they are just showing what a senator told ACB
So, the source is not the Blaze, but sen Kennedy

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ok. Now i know that and I won’t argue it, i’m sure you know better
Anyway, in this case, they are just showing what a senator told ACB
So, the source is not the Blaze, but sen Kennedy
Again, for the semantically-focused among us, The Blaze is a news platform or a media source. My apologies for apparently violating a canon of the news industry.

Was what the senator asked ACB not newsworthy?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Again, for the semantically-focused among us, The Blaze is a news platform or a media source. My apologies for apparently violating a canon of the news industry.

Was what the senator asked ACB not newsworthy?
Mate, my english is not that good. But i think i understand your point. The Blaze is trying to make a big deal out of nothing. Is it that?
If that’s the case, my apologies.

iKnowNothing

The person she is interviewing will be appointed for life. The judge they’re replacing was a sitting judge till her death at the age of 87.
America definitely needs term limits for various government positions.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The person she is interviewing will be appointed for life. The judge they’re replacing was a sitting judge till her death at the age of 87.
America definitely needs term limits for various government positions.
Something needs to be done but definitely no complete age ban. Some of the old folks serve as good reminders as well and can see history "repeating" itself.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
One thing that amazes me is the importance that the judges have in the USA. In Argentina most people have no idea who are the SC judges.
But i just read an article in the NYT about ACB, were it says that in 2003 :eek:the SC ruled out state sodomy laws!!! :eek:
Of course, if you have such shit state laws, the SC decisions are paramount.
So the problem are not the SCOTUS, but the stupid state legislators.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One thing that amazes me is the importance that the judges have in the USA. In Argentina most people have no idea who are the SC judges.
But i just read an article in the NYT about ACB, were it says that in 2003 :eek:the SC ruled out state sodomy laws!!! :eek:
Of course, if you have such shit state laws, the SC decisions are paramount.
So the problem are not the SCOTUS, but the stupid state legislators.
The real horror of the Trump administration is the hundreds of lower court judges that his admin has rammed through in copious numbers. Their vileness will inhabit this country for at least one full generation, of not more. These judges will negatively affect potentially many people more quickly than SCOTUS will.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
The real horror of the Trump administration is the hundreds of lower court judges that his admin has rammed through in copious numbers. Their vileness will inhabit this country for at least one full generation, of not more. These judges will negatively affect potentially many people more quickly than SCOTUS will.
one senator today IIRC said that Trump appointed over 100 lower court judges, non of them were black and only 20 percent weren't white -i guess latinos and asians-.
But seriously, judges work with the laws that the legislature provides, and for what i see some state legislatures have very shit laws

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But seriously, judges work with the laws that the legislature provides, and for what i see some state legislatures have very shit laws
same law can be interpreted very differently. for example, 5 supreme court judges thought that a state cannot ban guns and 4 thought it can. 5 thought that votes should not be re-counted in florida and 4 thought they should, and so whoever was ahead at the point (George Bush) won.
all 5 were appointed by republicans. it is not a coincidence.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
same law can be interpreted very differently. for example, 5 supreme court judges thought that a state cannot ban guns and 4 thought it can. 5 thought that votes should not be re-counted in florida and 4 thought they should, and so whoever was ahead at the point (George Bush) won.
all 5 were appointed by republicans. it is not a coincidence.
Those are examples of comstitutional law, and of course, you are right

but when in 2003 you still had a state that punish sodomy, and enforces it, the problem is greater than you think and the judicial labor becomes too important

edit. On second thought i don’t know if the bush v gore ruling was about constitutional law