6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Best player was Smalling by some distance, then Shaw and Herrera, maybe Mata and Young weren't as awful as the rest of the team. Herrera did okay today but he had struggling Fellaini and Blind providing him any kind of service rooney and van persie in midfield... no comment, desperately need world class defensive midfielder who can play no6 well asi his primary position - Schneiderlin... Then we will be okay
I think unfortunately it is showing that Blind is not Carrick's replacement and that he is a backup CB and fighting for the LB position with Luke.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This post in the Fellaini thread by Kostur sums things up quite beautifully I feel....

People would be delighted if Herrera took a shit on a football pitch and started sliding on it.
The entire team played badly and Herrera was no exception.

DomesticTadpole

This post in the Fellaini thread by Kostur sums things up quite beautifully I feel....

They were all bad, they will all know it. Hopefully they will now realise Top 4 isn't a given. They have had so much praise lately a good kick up the arse might do them good.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Along with smalling was our best player.

Sylar

Another reason why Carrick is needed, he picks up spaces that allows Herrera to pass (with either foot) otherwise hes restricted to going out to the wing to Mata/Valencia.

Blind doesnt offer himself like Carrick. Herrera was ok. Not bad, not great.

Sam

For some reason he looked miles off the pace today, almost as if he wasn't fit. By far his worst performance for us.

Unlike some others, though, he never gave up.

Kag

That isn't really true at all considering almost everybody has agreed that today wasn't Herrera's best game. Still correct in saying that alongside Smalling and Shaw he was one of few that actually did themselves some justice.

DomesticTadpole

For some reason he looked miles off the pace today, almost as if he wasn't fit. By far his worst performance for us.

Unlike some others, though, he never gave up.
You wonder how much the intensity of some of the previous games have just taken their toll a bit. Unfortunately there were too many players below par today. You can carry one or two, but this seemed to just about the whole team. They will all be wanting to be on the sick tomorrow rather than face LvG.

m1y2

he was fine comparing to Rooney, Fellaini, Valencia, McNair and degea, in fact only two players deserved more "praise" and it's Smalling and Shaw..

Nobody said Herrera played great, he was okay under these circumstances, and that's the general thinking of him in this thread today I would say..

...but I understand that always there has to be someone in opposition, just for the sake of it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Played with no real conviction today, disappointing performance.

Timdbro

Bloody hell, I opened the skysports page only to find an article titled "Ander Herrera out for..." and started freaking out. Turns out the rest of the title was "second place", I just hadn't computed.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
What did Scholes say about Herrera?
Scholes said: “Herrera's been the one who's impressed me most. He’s another one that did struggle to get in the team early on but now he's playing really well. He's playing really good football, looks like he's going to score goals, looks like he's going to make goals. He's been a great addition and he's only a young lad as well so hopefully he can get even better.”

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Scholes said: “Herrera's been the one who's impressed me most. He’s another one that did struggle to get in the team early on but now he's playing really well. He's playing really good football, looks like he's going to score goals, looks like he's going to make goals. He's been a great addition and he's only a young lad as well so hopefully he can get even better.”
Cheers. Good to know

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he was that bad, he's just so restrained and Fellaini/Rooney/RvP aren't creating anything ahead of him. Desperately need Carrick back so he can actually do what a midfielder should be doing for us.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Awful today. If it's that he needs Carrick beside him, then we better see Carrick in the next game.

Ringo 07

Did he get found out today? Is he good enough for Man Utd? A wonderful player but he went missing when we needed him most....I'm not sure if he is a Man Utd level player despite hitting a rich vein of form recently..possibly over-hyped due to playing well in a recent few games

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Mixed performance. On the one hand, I think its a good shout to use him in the deeper role against teams who park the bus - we dont need a dedicated holding midfielder in those situations, so having someone like Herrera who can play that role but still go forwards regularly, is useful.

On the other hand, he is meant to be one of our playmakers who can link up with the attacking players. He got forward enough regularly enough today that he could/should have contributed in attack. As it is, we havent scored in three games and Herrera has to be one of those sharing in the responsibility for that.

prarek

Surprised by some of the comments. He did ok today. He has had much worse games than this. He played a deeper role today and had limited offense.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Surprised by some of the comments. He did ok today. He has had much worse games than this. He played a deeper role today and had limited offense.
Yeah. I thought the setup was obviously meant for Rooney to be the more creative player. I actually sense that Herrera was curbing his attacking instincts today. So many times he would go forward, then rush back to a deeper midfield position.

DomesticTadpole

He wasn't great today, but why will LvG insist on putting Rooney in midfield and hamstringing our midfield. They need to get Carrick fit and quick. Rooney to me is in one of his usual end of season slumps. It happens all the time.

Kag

Did he get found out today? Is he good enough for Man Utd? A wonderful player but he went missing when we needed him most....I'm not sure if he is a Man Utd level player despite hitting a rich vein of form recently..possibly over-hyped due to playing well in a recent few games
He went missing? He probably played more forward passes than all of Mata, Rooney and Fellaini put together.

If we had more players doing what Herrera was trying to do today then we'd have won the game.

Last edited:

Ringo 07

He went mjssing? He probably played more forward passes than all of Mata, Rooney and Fellaini put together.

If we had more players doing what Herrera was trying to do today then we'd have won the game.
He's a wonderful player but he made insane amounts of wayward passes today and also insane amounts of sideways passes when we needed a risk taker in there....He looked very Cleverley-liek out there today...He is a great player but he is vastly over-rated here and has done very little in big games for us to suggest he is nailed on for a long term future in central midfield for us

Devil may care

I thought he tried hard and was looking for passing options but there was rarely anything on, he also looked committed the same as Young.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He went mjssing? He probably played more forward passes than all of Mata, Rooney and Fellaini put together.

He was always going to play more 'forward' passes because he was a line behind those two so even when he's passed it to the wing it was usually releasing the winger/fullback rather than squaring it like in Rooney/Fellaini's case.

He was shit today just like everybody else and it's LVG to blame for me.

Kag

He's a wonderful player but he made insane amounts of wayward passes today and also insane amounts of sideways passes when we needed a risk taker in there....He looked very Cleverley-liek out there today...He is a great player but he is vastly over-rated here and has done very little in big games for us to suggest he is nailed on for a long term future in central midfield for us
He was forcing passes into our centre forward all game long. Most of them didn't come off but at least he was forcing the issue.

He's been excellent in the big games, too. That last sentence is just total bollocks.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thought he acquitted himself well today. Some people will erroneously compare him with Carrick in a deep lying role and that's kind of unfair because Herrera is a natural #8. It's almost like penciling Iniesta in Busquets' position or Fabregas in Matic's position and contrasting the relative difference in performance. A drop if inevitable.

Part of the reason Ander does so well further up is the presence of Carrick behind him, and Mata sideways. Both of them are likeminded technical footballers who operate on a similar mental wavelength. Today, not only did Ander have to tone down his more offensive instincts in favour of defensive workrate in deeper positions - he had to basically shepherd the center of the pitch in a patchwork midfield.

Overall he did his job, which was primarily to monopolize possession - 130+ passes, 90 % accuracy, 5 tackles. Can't complain really. Looked positive and proactive, and threaded a few neat passes through.

Kag

He was always going to play more 'forward' passes because he was a line behind those two so even when he's passed it to the wing it was usually releasing the winger/fullback rather than squaring it like in Rooney/Fellaini's case.

He was shit today just like everybody else and it's LVG to blame for me.
Sitting infront of a holding midfielder doesn't negate the need for Rooney and Fellaini to take the initiative and płay forward passes. We know that because Herrera himself has previously played lots of forward passes in the very positions they were both playing today.

Herrera was poor but I take issue with the notion he went missing. We know that he wasn't because he gave the thing away often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.