5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Weird to think this is going to be the first season where he won't have to start from the bench and prove himself to get in the XI.
Last season was the same. He was a starter early on after a few games and one of the first names on the team sheet

izec

Wouldn't be so sure. If we get a defensive midfielder and play a 4231, then there's no guaranteeing that Herrera will start.
Who will play the 10? I dont see Mkhi and Mata starting. I think we will go for a 433, Herrera, Pogba and the new midfielder will play.

Walters_19_MuFc

Who will play the 10? I dont see Mkhi and Mata starting. I think we will go for a 433, Herrera, Pogba and the new midfielder will play.
Well, Mourinho has started with a 4231 and 433 twice each, so it's likely he'll start with one of these formations.

If he does start with a 4231, then I can imagine Mkhi will start as the 10, with Rashford and Lingard flanking him.

izec

Well, Mourinho has started with a 4231 and 433 twice each, so it's likely he'll start with one of these formations.

If he does start with a 4231, then I can imagine Mkhi will start as the 10, with Rashford and Lingard flanking him.
That would surprise me, but lets see

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
so we are offering him a massive increase in pay to tie him down long term.

good.
I've seen articles on his agent having meetings with us in the US and us looking to tie him down to a new contract, but I've not seen this "massive increase in pay" reported anywhere.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wouldn't be so sure. If we get a defensive midfielder and play a 4231, then there's no guaranteeing that Herrera will start.
Nah Jose rates Herrera very highly, he's one of his generals.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah and realised quickly Herrera is better than Fellaini and that Fellaini+Pogba didnt work at all
Well, Herrera and Fellaini started the first game of the season vs Bournemouth, so Jose had a game to judge whether he wanted to play Fellaini or Herrera next to Pogba in the following game vs Southampton, and he chose Fellaini, and actually, the Fellaini + Pogba pivot did work, and looked good in the first few games.

It went to shit is when we played City, where it ended up being Fellaini vs Silva and De Bruyne, as Pogba felt the need to go venturing. Same would have happened with Ander.

Nah Jose rates Herrera very highly, he's one of his generals.
So no more 4231 for Jose?

ivaldo

So no more 4231 for Jose?
Not necessarily, but if we did play it he will be featuring in it along with Pogba, whether it's beside Pogba in a deeper role or next to a knew defensively minded player with Pogba further forward.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not necessarily, but if we did play it he will be featuring in it along with Pogba, whether it's beside Pogba in a deeper role or next to a knew defensively minded player with Pogba further forward.
The first option means the new defensive midfielder (Matic) doesn't play when we play a 4231 then.

Second option means we may as well play a 433, because Pogba isn't great as a 10.

Personally, I'm hoping Mourinho just goes with a 433. A midfield of Matic, Herrera and Pogba is a very well balanced midfield, in my opinion. With the likes of Pereira, Fellaini (if he stays) and Carrick to come in and give cover.

itso 7

The first option means the new defensive midfielder (Matic) doesn't play when we play a 4231 then.

Second option means we may as well play a 433, because Pogba isn't great as a 10.

Personally, I'm hoping Mourinho just goes with a 433. A midfield of Matic, Herrera and Pogba is a very well balanced midfield, in my opinion. With the likes of Pereira, Fellaini (if he stays) and Carrick to come in and give cover.
Maybe he wants to groom Pogba into a Lampard/Gerard type of midfielder where we utilize his attacking prowess in front of a solid base. Herrera and Matic look like a match made in heaven each with what the other lacks and now with Lukaku in the mix, who is more inclined to stay forward and run the channels, there will be more room for Pogba to exploit whilst Matic allows Herrera to join in the action in forward areas.

ivaldo

Either way you want to look at it Ander will play, he oppitimises almost everything Jose wants in a player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Either way you want to look at it Ander will play, he oppitimises almost everything Jose wants in a player.
You keep coming out with this stuff @ivaldo but in reality you're just guessing we don't know how Jose views his or what players as his Generals. Personally I think Herrera will be a regular this season but long term unless he steps up he will be one of the positions upgraded next.

ivaldo

You keep coming out with this stuff @ivaldo but in reality you're just guessing we don't know how Jose views his or what players as his Generals. Personally I think Herrera will be a regular this season but long term unless he steps up he will be one of the positions upgraded next.
Everything that Jose has said about him and everything we've seen from he suggests the opposite lawman, no matter how desperate you are for it to be otherwise. He called him one of the most intelligent players he has ever had had played him in all the big games, often resting him along with other key players in the games before.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Everything that Jose has said about him and everything we've seen from he suggests the opposite lawman, no matter how desperate you are for it to be otherwise. He called him one of the most intelligent players he has ever had had played him in all the big games, often resting him along with other key players in the games before.
Time will tell if love Herrera to be our general but he lacks too much imo. I think a lot you have posted is wishful thinking but maybe that's a bad term more positive thinking but for me Herrera still has a lot of question marks about him. Hopefully this season he dispels these.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Time will tell if love Herrera to be our general but he lacks too much imo. I think a lot you have posted is wishful thinking but maybe that's a bad term more positive thinking but for me Herrera still has a lot of question marks about him. Hopefully this season he dispels these.
Hes proven himself to be one of the most well rounded and best midfielders in the league imo. Obviously he'll never be world class but he is an excellent player and one that Mourinho loves without a doubt.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I absolutely love Herrera and I sincerely hope he signs a new contract soon. He embodies the passion and desire I love seeing in a player, and would die for the jersey. I think he is genuinely passionate about the club which is fantastic too. Jose trusts him a great deal too and is one of his generals on the pitch, and while he wouldn't make a World 11, he is perfect in our set up and squad.

I think last year was a great development in his game too. He is well rounded as others have said, presses really well, snaps into tackles, motivates the other players, has great drive and chips in with assists and goals. In a 4-3-3 with Matić and Pogba I think he will excel and show his worth again this season. Get that new deal signed Ander :drool::devil:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I like Herrera, I really do, he has a great character and he is passionate about the club but imo that is not enough to be a nailed on starter.

I feel a midfield with Pogba, Herrera and Matic is lacking in creativity and will not solve our biggest problem which is scoring goals. Imo Herrera is a perfect player to play next to a DM and behind a 10. His game when he doesn't have the ball is so much better than when he does have the ball, he is great at pressing and closing down spaces but he is far too limited in terms of creativity. If he plays every game and Pogba also plays every game and Matic also plays every game we will have another season where we will struggle massively to score goals and won't be playing fluid nice football at all.

My preferred midfield's are the following:

---------Matic---------
----Pereira--Pogba----

Or

----Matic---Pogba-----
------Mkhitaryan------

Herrera doesn't fit in because Matic is more complete and better as a DM, Pogba is more complete and better as a deep playmaker and Pereira and Mkhitaryan are better players for providing some creativity and fluidity in our play. For me Herrera is a golden sub we can use for Pogba or Matic and he is a good alternative for those games where you want to field a much more defensive midfield in which case he could replace Pereira or Mkhitaryan. So for me he is not an automatic starter.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I like Herrera, I really do, he has a great character and he is passionate about the club but imo that is not enough to be a nailed on starter.

I feel a midfield with Pogba, Herrera and Matic is lacking in creativity and will not solve our biggest problem which is scoring goals. Imo Herrera is a perfect player to play next to a DM and behind a 10. His game when he doesn't have the ball is so much better than when he does have the ball, he is great at pressing and closing down spaces but he is far too limited in terms of creativity. If he plays every game and Pogba also plays every game and Matic also plays every game we will have another season where we will struggle massively to score goals and won't be playing fluid nice football at all.

My preferred midfield's are the following:

---------Matic---------
----Pereira--Pogba----

Or

----Matic---Pogba-----
------Mkhitaryan------

Herrera doesn't fit in because Matic is more complete and better as a DM, Pogba is more complete and better as a deep playmaker and Pereira and Mkhitaryan are better players for providing some creativity and fluidity in our play. For me Herrera is a golden sub we can use for Pogba or Matic and he is a good alternative for those games where you want to field a much more defensive midfield in which case he could replace Pereira or Mkhitaryan. So for me he is not an automatic starter.
And Pereira has shown enough to be a nailed starter? Think people are overrating this guy a little here. Pereira may be technically gifted but even in pre-season you can see that sometimes the games just pass him by. He has alot to prove still.

Herrera has proven for a whole season that he's one of the best midfielders in the league. He had a better season than all of; Pogba, Matic, Pereira, Mkhitaryan.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
And Pereira has shown enough to be a nailed starter? Think people are overrating this guy a little here. Pereira may be technically gifted but even in pre-season you can see that sometimes the games just pass him by. He has alot to prove still.

Herrera has proven for a whole season that he's one of the best midfielders in the league. He had a better season than all of; Pogba, Matic, Pereira, Mkhitaryan.
I didn't say that

I said I prefer him because he looks to be the more creative player and our play seems to be more fluid with him in midfield. That doesn't mean he is a nailed on starter at all. I'am just saying Herrera for me should not be a nailed on starter aswell.

And I completley don't agree with your last statement.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Still looks rusty to me though super shot from the corner.
He picked up an injury in pre-season so might still be rusty, but still looked good. Looked better when they changed the back four and it seemed to give the midfield more assurance and freedom.

kundalini

For me, Herrera is a starter unless his performance level demands that he be dropped. Not worried about his pre-season form, unlike some of the players who need to demonstrate what they can do, in order to get a chance when the season starts.

Kag

Opinions, bloody hell. Herrera is the lifeblood of this team. I'd also argue that whatever you ask him to do, he'll do. So, if you tell him to be more advanced and play with more guile and creativity, he's more than capable of playing that role. His first season here, and last at Bilbao, is proof of this. At present, he's carrying out Mourinho's orders, which is to harry, intercept, distribute and act like a footballing, cnuting version of the manager.

He's one of the most effective all-rounders about at the moment, and will be crucial to us again this season.

ivaldo

Opinions, bloody hell. Herrera is the lifeblood of this team. I'd also argue that whatever you ask him to do, he'll do. So, if you tell him to be more advanced and play with more guile and creativity, he's more than capable of playing that role. His first season here, and last at Bilbao, is proof of this. At present, he's carrying out Mourinho's orders, which is to harry, intercept, distribute and act like a footballing, cnuting version of the manager.

He's one of the most effective all-rounders about at the moment, and will be crucial to us again this season.
Nicely summed up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That shot from the corner... Someone had been watching that Bayern game :(

iamjacks

Herrera has gained the trust of almost every manager he's worked with (LVG aside), and that's because he's clearly an intelligent, hardworking and talented CM. And by CM, I mean he can operate in the middle of the park like midfielders used to, covering that middle third, strong in the challenge, tenacious to get the ball of the opposition making their way out of defense, and looking to do all he can from this area to make a difference in attack when he has possession.

He's a natural CM, and that's why you've seen managers deploy him deeper defensively, even further forward as a no.10. He won't star in these roles week in week out, but his personality and style of play is such that he can do these jobs when required, and managers are bound to love that.

He's the least of our concerns in midfield currently, because he will almost always deliver in the required role. Periera ahead of him? Not a chance in important games currently. Matic alongside Pogba at the expense of Herrera? Not if we want best from Pogba or it's late in a game where we are sitting deep hoping to play on counter and see a game out. Carrick? Again, I only see it in the most extreme times of a game, not as a start.

And that's why it's easy to see him surviving most formations Jose goes for.

Reactions: Akshay

AgentP

If we play with 3 midfielders which looks likely, then Herrera will play most games. But if we switch to 4231, I fear Jose will go for the Matic and Pogba combination.

Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd

Zoo

Not often you watch us and think Herrera is just invisible out there.

izec

Why does he always look shit after injuries? Remember that WBA game after the rib injury in LVG's reign, where he had an absolute mare of a game in the first half

Status
Not open for further replies.