Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If you read between the lines of what he is saying, it suggests that the lawyers were hired by the player and perhaps United didnt know much about it.

Perhaps Herrera sent them in to see if there was anyway he could buy out his contract or something.

Anyway all just speculation - the real story is likely to come out soon enough
Yeah, seems like he got them involved in negotiations, due to the Martinez deal, and it all went to pot with them not having the correct rights. It's looking more and more likely United were involved right up to the end of the window. Perhaps all isn't lost.

Like you say we'll know all soon.

Revan

Assumptionman
The next time someone here accuses a club for not being classy (hell people said all the bad words for Bayern when they signed Gotze) people need to remember how big bastards we were in this case.

Feel bad for Herrera. A young player who actually wanted to come here (and lowered his wage demands for that). We played with him all along and when Fellaini deal went through, we fecked him. Considering that he accepted to force the move through the release clause, there will be consequences for him. Bilbao isn't a club who easily forget. They benched their star player for a season after he didn't extended the contract and asked to leave. I don't think that Herrera will have a future there and surely his World Cup dreams are now shattered. Feel bad for him.

If we aren't entirely spineless, the right thing to do is tomorrow to make this deal and to sign him for January (he isn't cup tied for UCL, in case we go to knockout stages). But I don't think that anything good can come from us with these people. And if I was Herrera, there is no chance in hell that I would accept to ever wear a United shirt, even if that makes me the most paid player in the world. Haven't though that we'll ever do that, but I think we have crossed the line here.

Bojan11

Questions need to be asked. Why did we leave this deal to the last day? Fabregas had a press conference in early August saying he didn't want to leave. So why did we wait that long?

Dion

Anyone not think we had £30m to spend and strung Fellaini on until we realised Herrera wasn't happening at that price then ended up overpaying because we left it late?

Bojan11

The next time someone here accuses a club for not being classy (hell people said all the bad words for Bayern when they signed Gotze) people need to remember how big bastards we were in this case.

Feel bad for Herrera. A young player who actually wanted to come here (and lowered his wage demands for that). We played with him all along and when Fellaini deal went through, we fecked him. Considering that he accepted to force the move through the release clause, there will be consequences for him. Bilbao isn't a club who easily forget. They benched their star player for a season after he didn't extended the contract and asked to leave. I don't think that Herrera will have a future there and surely his World Cup dreams are now shattered. Feel bad for him.

If we aren't entirely spineless, the right thing to do is tomorrow to make this deal and to sign him for January (he isn't cup tied for UCL, in case we go to knockout stages). But I don't think that anything good can come from us with these people. And if I was Herrera, there is no chance in hell that I would accepted to ever wear a United shirt, even if that makes me the most paid player in the world. Haven't though that we'll ever do that, but I think we have crossed the line here.

Llorente and Herrera are totally different situations.

Llorente threw a strop. Herrera has acted professionally in this matter.

Revan

Assumptionman
Llorente and Herrera are totally different situations.

Llorente threw a strop. Herrera has acted professionally in this matter.

Not sure that Bilbao will be impressed by a player who wants to force the move by paying the release clause.

Drainy

It'd be fantastic if we got on the right track with Bilbao tomorrow, and organised some kind of pre contract, to be finalized in January.

Incredibly unlikely, but it'd be the best outcome for all involved.

I'm not sure we're going back in for him, to be honest. It was only implied during the day that we wanted to sign both, I am probably reading too much into it but our actions with wanting to spend roughly what was spent on Fellaini on Herrera and then dropping out when we couldn't get them to £28m or when we had an agreement with Everton in place (around about the time we confirmed the loan to Wigan, which freed McCarthy for Everton) suggests it was a one or the other situation.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'm not sure we're going back in for him, to be honest. It was only implied during the day that we wanted to sign both, I am probably reading too much into it but our actions with wanting to spend roughly what was spent on Fellaini on Herrera and then dropping out when we couldn't get them to £28m or when we had an agreement with Everton in place (around about the time we confirmed the loan to Wigan, which freed McCarthy for Everton) suggests it was a one or the other situation.
Yeah, I'm fairly sure we won't be, but I really wish we would.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seriously, I just feel bad for the kid. Our absolute amateurish prick of a chief executive has really screwed him over. As Bilbao said and has been demonstrated over and over, if you want to sign a player from them you pay the buyout clause- what the feck was Woodward thinking telling Herrera he'd pay it and then trying to negotiate it down? I know this word is getting thrown around a lot this summer, and often inappropriately, but how we've behaved in this case is embarrassing and Woodward should fall on his sword. We can't have a man like this as our primary representative in our business dealings.

It's bad enough that we have a frosty relationship with most agents, we start double crossing the players and aggravating the other clubs- who the feck is going to want to do transfer business with us?
I know that if I was Herrera and United came back in for me in January with the same people in charge, I'd tell them to feck off (if I wasn't a United fan obviously). We've really screwed the kid over.

Bojan11

Not sure that Bilbao will be impressed by a player who wants to force the move by paying the release clause.

You do know why Llorente was sent to the reserves. He got into an argument with Bielsa after being subbed and also didn't show up for training.

I doubt Herrera will do any of that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I know that if I was Herrera and United came back in for me in January with the same people in charge, I'd tell them to feck off (if I wasn't a United fan obviously). We've really screwed the kid over.
Even as a United fan, I wouldn't go there as long as Moyes/Woody are there. It looks more and more likely that we only used him in order to get a better deal for Fellaini. Worked well that.

Bojan11

Even as a United fan, I wouldn't go there as long as Moyes/Woody are there. It looks more and more likely that we only used him in order to get a better deal for Fellaini. Worked well that.
What has Moyes done?

Also better deal for Fellaini? What are you on about? £27m is hardly a better deal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

You and Drainy are the only people I've see suggesting that. It has been reported all summer long that we were after more than one cm, with every journalist today saying we were going for both. Not saying your wrong (I've given up trying to figure this out) but I wouldn't say it looks more likely.

Revan

Assumptionman
What has Moyes done?

Also better deal for Fellaini? What are you on about? £27m is hardly a better deal.
I think that we have used Herrera only to take pressure to Everton. Of course, Everton didn't eat this.

Speculation of course, we'll see tomorrow.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Good luck with getting any answers. Fellaini signing will gloss over any failures and Moyes will be "happy with the squad"
Nah man, there's far too many disgruntled United fans just to let this slide. The bar has been set so high by Fergie & Gill, but this whole summer has been a feckin shambles. We're more interested in finding "official partnerships" than we are about team affairs & then all that bullshit about Moyes havin an endless pit of money to spend & Woodward & his hardman stance on Rooney etc (not bothered running down his contract type of crap).

We've been slagging Arsenal for the money they rip from their fans & never invest any of the mass riches on players - well I have anyway. I think United fans wont stand for poor decision-makin by this new "regime". I'm behind Moyes, but the suits I most certainly are not. Going public about Cesc - who's feckin idea was that too?

Moyes always says he doesn't talk about other teams players - yet he did anytime he was asked about Cesc, something Fergie used to do from time to time when it suited his cunning agenda. That quest turned into a farce, not to mention what the feck was goin on with the Thiago links too?!

Woodward & Bollingboke (or whatever you call the cnut) & the other gobshites behind the scenes are like Kenyon clones or some shit. What the hells goin on, surely the Glazers must be livid about the negativity over the summer & then we have this diabolical shambles of what happened today. It now seems that those so-called imposters might actually be genuine lawyers & the same lawyers who helped shift Martinez to Bayern!

The fans will give Moyes the benefit of the doubt but not Woodward - that lad is out of his depth & is more concerned with bringin money in & that could be the Glazers main focus atm & they've taken their eye off the ball (if you pardon the pun).

Since the turn of the year, United have agreed 18 new sponsorships / partnerships & when Woodward took over the reigns on 20th February, 2013 - we had 4 new sponsorships / partnerships in the proceeding 2 months. Since the season finished we acquired 9 so-called partnerships, with the most recent acquisition being the Bulova Watch-maker on 14th August, 2013.

Here's the partnership / sponsorship list that we know of for this year alone:

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-news&nyo=0

The feckin pre-season tour was about three weeks of promotion & the team were playin shit most of the time. That should have been a wake-up call to get the finger out & find new players, but look at what happened - the most bizarre day I can remember in a long time!

Sorry about the rant, i'm just sick of us turning into Arsenal - milk the fans, stingy with our spending (retarded bids such as £25m for Cesc) & invest feck all in new players because they see no value crap. They bring enough dough in, to enable us to spend on marquee signings every year or other ffs.

Today was a total sickner. In fact the whole summer has been a total sickner :mad:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why would he get the Llorente treatment? He hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram and hasn't done anything wrong other than be willing to move to a much bigger club if his release clause is met. It's not like he handed in a transfer request or did anything to disrespect the club.
Athletic are notoriously unwilling to engage in transfers and don't react well to someone wanting a move. They see themselves as some sort of Basque NT with this dated rule of theirs not to have anyone who isn't Basque by birth or heritage. Wanting a move is regarded as some sort of high treason and there's no chance a player would go for anything but the release clause as they are not willing sellers (and it's bloody hard for them to secure replacements, which makes thre stance on transfers even more obtuse).

Terrible from us not to know that very basic fact, and terrible for Ander as, even if they may need him in the short term, he is in for a rough ride.

MDFC Manager

There is still enough time to do a loan deal and make it permanent in January.

Whether we are smart enough to explore that option is another thing though.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If you read between the lines of what he is saying, it suggests that the lawyers were hired by the player and perhaps United didnt know much about it.

Perhaps Herrera sent them in to see if there was anyway he could buy out his contract or something.

Anyway all just speculation - the real story is likely to come out soon enough
Yep, that was the other likely scenario I could see, which is why I suggested we should sign this fella as Woody's replacement, he is the only one who showed any nous of what was required to close a deal.

Revan

Assumptionman
You and Drainy are the only people I've see suggesting that. It has been reported all summer long that we were after more than one cm, with every journalist today saying we were going for both. Not saying your wrong (I've given up trying to figure this out) but I wouldn't say it looks more likely.
We were never for Fabregas IMO. Every idiot knew that Barca won't sell him after they lost Thiago, and especially not for 25-30m.

After deciding to pay the clause for Herrera and then giving up when we signed Fellaini, makes me believe that the club has lied to us during the entire summer and Fellaini has been our only midfield target and we have only used Herrera to not look desperate to Everton.

Drainy

I've only implied it from how we acted, backing out of the deal very quickly at around the time we sent Nick Powell on loan to Wigan- which greased the wheels for McCarthy to go to Everton and Fellaini to come to us. I could be massively wrong, and I hope I am and we go back in for the lad in January- I just fear that it was a one or the other situation.

I do think we had additional funds for a 'marquee' signing, in addition to the workhorse central midfielder, but we failed to get any of the players we were interested in and we didn't fancy Ozil at £42m

Revan

Assumptionman
You're talking madness now, Rev.
Probably. But I wouldn't rule out that we just don't have as much money as we though (and the club said). In the end even under SAF our transfers weren't that high (our net spend is only 15m per year in the last 10 years) so wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have 60m for transfers but the club said that we have the money to calm the fans.

Sam

I'm not even embarrassed right now....instead, I'm actually ashamed of the club's behaviour. This isn't even about the fact that we look like mugs, or that we haven't signed a shiny new Spanish midfielder.....its that we've basically fecked with a young lad's career, through sheer incompetence, and trying to act like smart arses. Its shameful and disgusting. This is a young player, at a club who have a record for not reacting well to players leaving (which is fair enough), and we've got him to put all his eggs in one basket, only to then leave him high and dry....for the sake of an extra few million or so (incidentally money that could have been saved in the Fellaini deal had we not shown even more incompetence there). Quite frankly, I hope the media latch onto this and heads are made to roll. Feel unbelievably sorry for Herrera.

This isn't the United I've supported and loved since I was a kid. I'm disgusted right now.

Drainy

Probably. But I wouldn't rule out that we just don't have as much money as we though (and the club said). In the end even under SAF our transfers weren't that high (our net spend is only 15m per year in the last 10 years) so wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have 60m for transfers but the club said that we have the money to calm the fans.

I do think we had a 'normal' transfer budget of around the £30m mark, and then the Glazers were going to finance the signing of a household name player (Fabregas/Ronaldo/Lewandowski/Modric) to get everyone onside and ease the transition from Fergie/Gill to Moyes/Woodward and prevent the 'sinking ship' vibe from happening, but unfortunately none of them came off and now we look like clowns.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
My guess based on various tidbits around the press. We had consulted those lawyers and so had Herrera. When United started to back out of the deal (as too expensive or as not Fellaini enough or whatever) we chickened out and said we couldn't do clause paperwork quickly enough rather than just telling the player that we didn't want to buy him.

The lawyers went off to get the paperwork in order, to see if it could still be done (perhaps with the player's blessing) and when the vital moment came and it was time for the money transfer, we disowned them.

Not imposters in the Radio 1 DJ hoax sense or a group of conmen. Imposters in that they couldn't offer money on our behalf.

I'm not too impressed with United right now.
What do you mean too expensive? It was well known that if we wanted him, we would have to pay his release clause.

Anything else would be a hostile bid.

We didn't. And fecked ourselves over. We've been a joke all summer.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
While it's terrible how this transfer was handled, exactly how did this feck over Herrera's career? He's still getting paid by his club and he's still got a bright future ahead.

ricky-romeo

:mad::mad::mad:

cannot describe my feelings with words now...angry, disappointed, everything into one..

how could the club pay millions to the people responsible for our transfer targets i just don't know...

and suddenly we could not pay an extra 5 million for a player? we already just overpaid that same amount of money for fellaini and a few seasons ago we even spent more for bebe. now we could had signed a very good young spanish midfielder who was part of the team that destroyed us 2 seasons ago but decided he is not worth 30 million?

i know whenever we are interested in a player then his price is never going to be the same. but why just cannot we spent the extra few million pounds now???????

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
While it's terrible how this transfer was handled, exactly how did this feck over Herrera's career? He's still getting paid by his club and he's still got a bright future ahead.
Are you not familiar with how Bilbao do things then? They don't take too kindly to a player wanting to leave, let's put it that way.
Of course this might not be like what happened with Llorente, but what happened can't be good in any way for Herrera.

December_16

I'm not even embarrassed right now....instead, I'm actually ashamed of the club's behaviour. This isn't even about the fact that we look like mugs, or that we haven't signed a shiny new Spanish midfielder.....its that we've basically fecked with a young lad's career, through sheer incompetence, and trying to act like smart arses. Its shameful and disgusting. This is a young player, at a club who have a record for not reacting well to players leaving (which is fair enough), and we've got him to put all his eggs in one basket, only to then leave him high and dry....for the sake of an extra few million or so (incidentally money that could have been saved in the Fellaini deal had we not shown even more incompetence there). Quite frankly, I hope the media latch onto this and heads are made to roll. Feel unbelievably sorry for Herrera.

This isn't the United I've supported and loved since I was a kid. I'm disgusted right now.
This. A million times this.

I hope our reputation is not too badly tarnished, but just a small group of incompetent feckwits that were involved in the shambles. And the owners will have to shoulder a lion's share of the blames as well, for both hiring those chimps as executives and for being tight-arsed liars they've been all along. fecking Glazers.

mlclauhk

This. A million times this.

I hope our reputation is not too badly tarnished, but just a small group of incompetent feckwits that were involved in the shambles. And the owners will have to shoulder a lion's share of the blames as well, for both hiring those chimps as executives and for being tight-arsed liars they've been all along. fecking Glazers.
If anything, it might just give us some insight as to how much Fergie was given free reign at the club while he was here. Fergie would have never let it comes to this, particularly when the club's reputation was under stake.

No disrespect to Moyes, but it does seem that with a new manager, the Glazers / senior management at the club are getting more involved again, whereas previously Fergie would have had none of this bullshit.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I don't think Woodward will be getting his annual bonus this year.

He will be lucky if the Glazers don't dock him £5million off his total package for paying more for Felliani when he didn't need to.

December_16

The most galling thing about that is we'd have had the extra money if we'd bothered using Fellaini's release clause instead of fecking around trying to lowball them and then paying through the nose.
I think of the extra few millions paying over Fellaini's release clause is somewhat an option premium to look at all other options before the window shuts (Cesc, Modric, De Rossi, some Bayern rejects, who the feck knows?). And had we been able to sign any of them, it would probably be worth it, instead of paying 23 million for Fellaini AND being stuck with him for the next 3-4 years on good wage. As it turns out, we couldn't do shit with all our fecking stupid lowball bids, meaning we'll pay the extra 4-5 million for our Plan B. All a good day at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.