Ander Herrera is the most complete midfielder in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The whole teams form dropped off towards the end of the season, so that might not have helped. If Ander had been producing the form from that 6 game winning run then VDB would not have been able to justify his exclusion. Spain have some really good players, if he was not in for an Andros Townsend type, then it would be bad.

prarek

I think VDB prefers la liga based players. Not sure why.
Im not sure if that's entirely true. David Silva has been a permanent member of the first eleven for a while now. Azpilicueta also started 2 of their 3 world cup games if im not mistaken.

The whole teams form dropped off towards the end of the season, so that might not have helped. If Ander had been producing the form from that 6 game winning run then VDB would not have been able to justify his exclusion. Spain have some really good players, if he was not in for an Andros Townsend type, then it would be bad.
This is what im thinking. Also he hasn't exactly been first choice for the entire season. He started 19 games in the league, that's 'only' half the league games.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Im not sure if that's entirely true. David Silva has been a permanent member of the first eleven for a while now. Azpilicueta also started 2 of their 3 world cup games if im not mistaken.
But that is because David Silva is one of their best players and Azpil is prob the best RB in their team. For new players, I think he looks more at La Liga.

DomesticTadpole

This is what im thinking. Also he hasn't exactly been first choice for the entire season. He started 19 games in the league, that's 'only' half the league games.
If we get the right partner for him and are producing consistant top class performances next season, then things might start moving in the right direction.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I think VDB prefers la liga based players. Not sure why.
Not really, he used to pick Torres when he was good, Silva and apzilicueta always play, so does Costa. Saying he only picks La Liga based players is just an excuse for Herrera not being good enough to displace the guys already there like Fabregas, Thiago, Iniesta, Koke, Martinez etc.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Not really, he used to pick Torres when he was good, Silva and apzilicueta always play, so does Costa. Saying he only picks La Liga based players is just an excuse for Herrera not being good enough to displace the guys already there like Fabregas, Thiago, Iniesta, Koke, Martinez etc.
I didn't say he only picks, I said "he prefers"

DomesticTadpole

As long as he is producing the goods for us, that is good enough for me.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
You'd think with the way Spain has performed lately that they'd want their best defenders in the squad. Shocking that Azpi has apparently been discarded. They love their pure, attacking wing backs but you'd think Azpi could be used as a different option.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
You'd think with the way Spain has performed lately that they'd want their best defenders in the squad. Shocking that Azpi has apparently been discarded. They love their pure, attacking wing backs but you'd think Azpi could be used as a different option.
Apzilicueta is quality, one of the best full backs in world football, Don't think they will leave him out.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. Arbeloa, Luis García and Riera for example had no problem getting in the squad when they were at Liverpool. You can disagree with Ander not being selected, but don't think it's fair to say it's because of the league they're in.

prarek

Apzilicueta is quality, one of the best full backs in world football, Don't think they will leave him out.
I think the reason Azpi is being left out is that Del Bosque is starting to look at him as a LB and he's not going to get ahead of Alba and Bernat. Gaya would be ahead of him as well. He's got to play RB. And if im being honest i didn't find him quite as convincing for Spain at RB as he does for Chelsea at LB. Strange considering he's supposed to be a natural RB.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They did leave him out though, that's the thing, which is why its not just an excuse for herrera. I love Herrera of course, but one position where he won't be starting for Spain is center mid, they're just too stacked. Fabregas isn't even a starter for the national team, or at least hasn't been for the majority of his career.
I do think he should be in the squad at least though. He's been class and if he was playing like this in la liga he'd definitely get called up like aleix Vidal and the others.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think the reason Azpi is being left out is that Del Bosque is starting to look at him as a LB and he's not going to get ahead of Alba and Bernat. Gaya would be ahead of him as well. He's got to play RB. And if im being honest i didn't find him quite as convincing for Spain at RB as he does for Chelsea at LB. Strange considering he's supposed to be a natural RB.
And more importantly, Spain want their width to mainly provided by their fullbacks, Azpi is decent when attacking but outstanding when defending. His qualities do not suit the Spanish national team.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I'm not sure he's played to a level comparable with Ramsey of 13/14 but with Aaron's unnoteworthy form and Toure's rapid regression in mentality and endurance, he's definitely been the most complete in the league this season.

prarek

And more importantly, Spain want their width to mainly provided by their fullbacks, Azpi is decent when attacking but outstanding when defending. His qualities do not suit the Spanish national team.
Yeah that makes sense. I think even Ivanovic provides more of an attacking threat. Azpilicueta might be the best defending fullback but he's certainly not the most complete and i think in today's game, certainly in teams like Spain or even ours its as important for the fullbacks to help out in offense as it is for the midfielders to help out in defense.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah that makes sense. I think even Ivanovic provides more of an attacking threat. Azpilicueta might be the best defending fullback but he's certainly not the most complete and i think in today's game, certainly in teams like Spain or even ours its as important for the fullbacks to help out in offense as it is for the midfielders to help out in defense.
He's the archetype of the Mourinho player. He loves him so much.

The reason Herrera doesn't get selected for Spain is simple:

1) They have enough midfielders who are already a level above him, playing regularly in better teams

2) No wait, that was it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The reason Herrera doesn't get selected for Spain is simple:

1) They have enough midfielders who are already a level above him, playing regularly in better teams

2) No wait, that was it.
I also remember that in Spain they used to say that he was a spanish PL player, a box to box full of energy, which isn't the type of midfielder the national team uses.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Given how sorry Spain were in the last major international tournament, you'd think it was time they went for a bit of structural change and brought in consistent performers like De Gea, Herrera and Azpilicueta (whether that's simply just in the squad and in my opinion as starters). It's bizarre how underused they all are by their country.

DomesticTadpole

Given how sorry Spain were in the last major international tournament, you'd think it was time they went for a bit of structural change and brought in consistent performers like De Gea, Herrera and Azpilicueta (whether that's simply just in the squad and in my opinion as starters). It's bizarre how underused they all are by their country.
I think the manager likes his favourites and tbh is scared to go risky. Making a lot of changes would be too risky for him.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Love the way he controls the ball and in the same movement turns to create space for himself.:drool:
Precisely, I've said it for years about the Barca lot. (not that I'm claiming anything by that)

English players are taught from age 0 to cushion the ball with the first touch and pass with the second... with the same foot. But that movement, (Cushion, move leg back, shift weight, move foot forward) wastes an incredible amount of time.

Herrara and the Barca lot especially can move the ball with the first touch away from any oncoming player. It's not rocket science, but they do it so well.

Skills

Snitch
Looks quite proud of the fact he managed to hog the seat by Schweinsteiger straight away.

Skills

Snitch
So we have the two most complete midfielders in the league now as Schneiderlin was the other popular answer? :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.