Ander Herrera Revisited

Sylar

He was involved in a lot of good moments for us.
The Europa League final telling mkhi to go into the box which lead to the goal from the corner
His foul on Barkley on the counter and then setting up martial
His assist for the winner in the caraboa cup
His goal / assist in that 2-0 win against Chelsea
He was in the midfield three when ole first took over and saw us go on a run

It honestly baffles me; the club gave contract extensions to Smalling, Phil Jones and Young yet didn't give the guy who was easily our best player in 16-17 and MOTM in the EL final an extension until the very last minute by which time PSG offered to CL football and a much bigger contract.

If I had been in Ander's situation I would have told the club to feck off as well. Don't understand why fans can't see this or why there's any bitterness against a player who actually was pretty decent here.
I'm with that, I reckon if don't wait until last minute, he signs with us. We really could have got it sorted in January if we wanted to for much less than psg offered

Still consider him a better player than Fred and nothing will change my mind on that. Had and still have no idea why we spunked 50 odd million on a player who wasn't even an upgrade on what we had.

Still though, he's a bit too much like McTominay, who is a bigger, stronger version of him, so we haven't lost out much. Just that replacing him with Fred made very little sense.
Herrera did seem better at getting involved
Also he was a shit head at the right times for us
The mid week match against young boys, if we had Herrera instead of Fred, Herrera acts like a shit head to get their player sent off and make it 10 v 10

Revaulx

It honestly baffles me; the club gave contract extensions to Smalling, Phil Jones and Young yet didn't give the guy who was easily our best player in 16-17 and MOTM in the EL final an extension until the very last minute by which time PSG offered to CL football and a much bigger contract.

If I had been in Ander's situation I would have told the club to feck off as well. Don't understand why fans can't see this or why there's any bitterness against a player who actually was pretty decent here.
Yeah I don’t think I was as big a fan of his as you were, and I always rated Smalling, but I still 100% agree with you.
I’m not bitter at all. Just think he was bit of a nothing player, as you say.
Fair enough! I still reckon that for all his abundance of nothingness, we generally played better when he was in the side, under both LvG and Jose.

And while I appreciate that lots of people don’t like it, it seems pretty obvious that McFred is our first choice midfield. That being the case, I reckon Ander would be a more useful backup to either of Fred or McTominay than the likes of Donny and Matić, or even Pogba. Not because he’s a better player, but because he’s more like them.

stevoc

He always seemed rather a nothing player for us. And yet I thought we played better as a team when he was in it. He was hardly irreplaceable though, and I wasn’t bothered when he left.

I really don’t understand the bitterness he engendered on his departure, which clearly survives to this day. It seems to be on the same level as Heinze, Tevez and Di Maria.
No where near the same level of disdain that is held for Tevez or DiMaria, both proper Twats, maybe similar to Heinze.

stevoc

Still consider him a better player than Fred and nothing will change my mind on that. Had and still have no idea why we spunked 50 odd million on a player who wasn't even an upgrade on what we had.

Still though, he's a bit too much like McTominay, who is a bigger, stronger version of him, so we haven't lost out much. Just that replacing him with Fred made very little sense.

Also, those who say he left for more money need to have an actual look at what he earns at PSG, which is barely an upgrade on what he earned in Manchester.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fuel everybody's need for an agenda.
So what does he earn at PSG then?

Most reports though they vary put him on something like £200-300k per week.

stevoc

The club started negotiations on his contract extension during the 17-18 season, hardly last minute. He still had 18-24 months on his contract.

Stacks

I don't think he's better than either except current matic.

Herrera has had his fair share of Fred like displays and in general he was very limited on the ball. More of a foul machine.
He was better than all. When the last time McFred won player of the year? In fact one would laugh at the prospect. He racked up more assists than the two of them combined and was far better at through balls which the others are too scared to attempt. He also has the same number of premier league goals as McFred combined. His tackle success 65% to Fred 51%. None of them are what we need but I do not feel we have upgraded in any way shape or form. I would not bat an eyelid if we sold and replaced McFred.

MattofManchester

So what does he earn at PSG then?

Most reports though they vary put him on something like £200-300k per week.
Most of these seem to have come from before he signed for PSG.
Recent reports and from what I looked up, they put his salary around £150k per week.
He was earning around £120k in Manchester, so hardly an increase when it comes to PSG.

Him and Paredes are considered to be on the lower bracket of earners at PSG.

Irwin99

The club started negotiations on his contract extension during the 17-18 season, hardly last minute. He still had 18-24 months on his contract.
That's not the way he puts it. He already said in one of the quotes above that the club arrived very late with an offer and that he didn't feel valued at United- I can kind of see why. Ole wanted him to stay but by then it was too late.

https://talksport.com/football/7032...ted-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-paris-saint-germain/

Halftrack

He didn't deserve the contract he wanted. We offered him one he wanted more.
"The contract he wanted" is all based on unsourced claims from tabloids. He's not making close to what he was supposedly demanding from us after going on a free to a state-backed club, so I'll take his reported wage demands with a shovelful of salt.

Besides, the club apparently made him an offer he considered acceptable, problem was that he'd already agreed terms with PSG at that point.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He always seemed rather a nothing player for us. And yet I thought we played better as a team when he was in it. He was hardly irreplaceable though, and I wasn’t bothered when he left.

I really don’t understand the bitterness he engendered on his departure, which clearly survives to this day. It seems to be on the same level as Heinze, Tevez and Di Maria.
He's like Lindelof. You're good if you're starting better players in his position and he's an option off the bench, you're fecked if he's your starter because you're not going to challenge for the top trophies with them as your starter.

Andersonson

"The contract he wanted" is all based on unsourced claims from tabloids. He's not making close to what he was supposedly demanding from us after going on a free to a state-backed club, so I'll take his reported wage demands with a shovelful of salt.

Besides, the club apparently made him an offer he considered acceptable, problem was that he'd already agreed terms with PSG at that point.
So your sources on that is golden, but the others ain't?

Sure mate.

He's making close to 8 million pounds pr year now according to several sources.

We would never match that for a player of his calibre

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So your sources on that is golden, but the others ain't?

Sure mate.

He's making close to 8 million pounds pr year now according to several sources.

We would never match that for a player of his calibre
Doesnt Fred earn something between 6 and 7 million now?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He got tapped up by PSG. We give nearly every Tom dick and Phil Jones a New Contract so I dont believe that Herrera didn't get offered one.

He got offered a better one by PSG and said that we didn't give one so he can seem like an angel and move on to them.

PSG have tapped up Pogba and is moving on a free.

Widjnaldum.
Etc.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He got tapped up by PSG. We give nearly every Tom dick and Phil Jones a New Contract so I dont believe that Herrera didn't get offered one.

He got offered a better one by PSG and said that we didn't give one so he can seem like an angel and move on to them.

PSG have tapped up Pogba and is moving on a free.

Widjnaldum.
Etc.
Can't wait for PSGs approach to bite them in the ass. Sign a load of players on frees with big wages then get stuck with a load of players they can't shift.

The authorities will probably bend the rules for PSG though

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can't wait for PSGs approach to bite them in the ass. Sign a load of players on frees with big wages then get stuck with a load of players they can't shift.

The authorities will probably bend the rules for PSG though
Such a weird club - with all the money they have they have to act like rats aswell. Hope Mbappe leaves on a free.

stevoc

That's not the way he puts it. He already said in one of the quotes above that the club arrived very late with an offer and that he didn't feel valued at United- I can kind of see why. Ole wanted him to stay but by then it was too late.

https://talksport.com/football/7032...ted-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-paris-saint-germain/
Well he would after he left wouldn't he, he was trying to make it out as if United were the bad guys. At a time when he was being criticised for asking for too much money.

Here's a quote from Ander from April 2018:

“I am going to fulfil the year that I have left but I do not know if I will renew. We have started talking but nothing has been decided yet.”
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/her...td-but-no-deal-done/txt2nbbdqr8t1hcji3iqyq5hd

The rumours of United being in talks with for a new contract go back to July 2017.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4029040/ander-herrera-manchester-united-barcelona/

stevoc

Most of these seem to have come from before he signed for PSG.
Recent reports and from what I looked up, they put his salary around £150k per week.
He was earning around £120k in Manchester, so hardly an increase when it comes to PSG.

Him and Paredes are considered to be on the lower bracket of earners at PSG.
To be fair none of those journalists will have a clue what he's actually on. But if I had to guess he wasn't leaving United for £150k per week when he would have probably been on more than that at United had he renewed.

SAFMUTD

He's an extremely likeable player when playing for your team, but truth be told he's nothing special. Bang average, we did well moving him on. We fecked it up by not replacing him with a better players though.

Redlyn

Think we would have been better off keeping him instead of getting Fred. We spent money for no improvement. They have the same natural position (midfield box to box harrier) right?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think we would have been better off keeping him instead of getting Fred. We spent money for no improvement. They have the same natural position (midfield box to box harrier) right?
Agreed. Herrera probably made more interceptions and was better at shooting, a bit better at passing, whilst Fred can carry the ball better. In terms of overall quality it’s much of a muchness — both had their good performances in big games but in terms of profile as you say, they’re both irritants in midfield; buzzing around pressing, and as you say Fred wasn't an upgrade in spite of the fee.

Peak forms being 3 lung Fred and Ander 3000 (miles).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We should have locked him down earlier on reasonable terms. We probably lowballed him as he was (rightly) expected to become more of a squad player. Then PSG happened, move on.

I won't have a bad word said about him though, by all accounts he consistently speaks very highly of us and encourages players to join us.

AaronRedDevil

Lads. He left you. There's no point thinking about him anymore. Just move on, there's plenty of fish in the sea. You can't love someone who doesn't love you back. It's not healthy. Just move on, You'll be happier for it. :angel:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He wasn't a top class player but definitely better than any CM we currently have.

Ekeke

Started and played 90 mins in PSG's 2-0 win over City yesterday. Gueye did steal the show with his goal and more ball winning but still a good performance in an impressive win for an elite side, possibly the best one around now.

CM

He does seem to be having a bit of an Indian summer. Fair play I suppose, it would've been easy to get lost in that team with all the big names coming in.

tomaldinho1

Always been a good player, just was never as amazing as he seemed to become on here when he left.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He does seem to be having a bit of an Indian summer. Fair play I suppose, it would've been easy to get lost in that team with all the big names coming in.
He's been hampered with injuries since he joined PSG, has he not? It's more of a continuation from his form for us.

Dan_F

He was decent last night and suits what PSG need. He’s was pretty safe with his passing, but it was accurate and helped them keep possession. He also has really good off the ball movement and ran ahead of Messi to create space and isolate him 1v1 against a defender.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I always liked his drive and desire to compete on the edge and do the dirty side of the game. Technically he’s slightly above average. Great personality. I wish we’d kept him but it is what it is. I’m sure Liverpool wanted to keep Gini too. Sometimes it just doesn’t make financial sense to match crazy wages. We haven’t replaced him though and he would still start for us

Ekeke

Always been a good player, just was never as amazing as he seemed to become on here when he left.
Seems a strange time to suggest that when he's one of PSG's best players this season in what is probably their best ever team and the most likely champions league winners.

largelyworried

Not that hard to upgrade on Herrera, but we’ve managed not to in the last few years, somehow.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
People were actually saying Fred is better, just can't believe it. His type of player and Gueye are needed in this PSG.