Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

You said it twice in that post, after asking where you've said it before.
Is English not your first language?

When someone says "This guy is a limited player" they tend to mean they can only do one or two things. When someone disagrees with someone who calls said player a limited player, they might say "He's not a limited player".

This doesnt mean the person thinks the player has inhuman skill at all facets of the game and is a world class player. It means they disagree that the player is limited and can only do one or two things.

Ander does everything you'd want from a midfielder, some of those things he does brilliantly, some he doesnt do as well as some of the best midfielders out there. But he can do it all to a decent level. Thats not a limited player.

ForestRGoinUp

Is English not your first language?

When someone says "This guy is a limited player" they tend to mean they can only do one or two things. When someone disagrees with someone who calls said player a limited player, they might say "He's not a limited player".

This doesnt mean the person thinks the player has inhuman skill at all facets of the game and is a world class player. It means they disagree that the player is limited and can only do one or two things.

Ander does everything you'd want from a midfielder, some of those things he does brilliantly, some he doesnt do as well as some of the best midfielders out there. But he can do it all to a decent level. Thats not a limited player.
Boy, you would expect a player of that ilk to be able to share in some of the creative burden that all falls on Pogba, or to even be able to take over a game from time to time when Pogba is marked out of it or injured. What I see is a player that cannot do that, hence my opinion that he is limited.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Boy, you would expect a player of that ilk to be able to share in some of the creative burden that all falls on Pogba, or to even be able to take over a game from time to time when Pogba is marked out of it or injured. What I see is a player that cannot do that, hence my opinion that he is limited.
Funny enough some of the goals before he got injured he was involved with the buildup either with a pass or winning the ball to start a move off.

-Supreme-

The overrating of Herrera is unbearable, don’t get me wrong I rate and value him as a squad player, but I’d much rather have Matic playing in the DM role over him and I don’t even rate Matic that highly.

Don’t give me those excuses of Herrera being misused by previous managers as even Ole prefers Matic in the DM role and that’s a fact!

Ekeke

You are aware there are more skills for a midfielder than playmaking right? Pogba is our playmaker, therefore he does that role.

ForestRGoinUp

You are aware there are more skills for a midfielder than playmaking right? Pogba is our playmaker, therefore he does that role.
I am, but what you are saying is that Herrera has all the skills. And what I am saying is that he does not.

Ekeke

I am, but what you are saying is that Herrera has all the skills. And what I am saying is that he does not.
He can pass and create a bit, but thats not his role in the team and neither is it his strength. Thats Pogba's role and strength. Ander's role and strengths make up for Pogba's weaknesses, running, winning the ball, defensive responsibility

ForestRGoinUp

He can pass and create a bit, but thats not his role in the team and neither is it his strength. Thats Pogba's role and strength. Ander's role and strengths make up for Pogba's weaknesses, running, winning the ball, defensive responsibility
And even Pogba's strengths cannot make up for the fact that we have no other midfielder to control a game besides Pogba. It's why we don't even attempt to do it against sides equal to or better than us.

Ekeke

And even Pogba's strengths cannot make up for the fact that we have no other midfielder to control a game besides Pogba. It's why we don't even attempt to do it against sides equal to or better than us.
Because they have a midfielder better at keeping the ball than Pogba.

Plus we're a counterattacking team, we dont want to control the game. We want to encourage the opponents to commit players forward in attack, then break on them when they are disorganized.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Despite me wanting Herrera to stay, and seeing him as an important player, I wouldn't mind us letting him go and getting Rabiot. Ideally we'd have both, but we seem to insist on doing everything clean instead of breaking every rule under the sun to horde players like City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well his salary seems to have broken the wage structure and some of our biggest names are reluctant to re-sign unless they're offered some sort of parity. We either watch most of our players walk away from the club on free transfers after running their contracts down or we jettison him and bring a workable wage structure back.
Kicking Sanchez out still doesn't entirely fix that though, as those demanding more money aren't going to forget that we paid it for someone else!

Orange Tree

Herrera is good, but he is not 200k/week good. If United really want to challenge the biggest title, they need to upgrade on Herrera sometime soon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sanchez's contract is overstated. United are the most profitable club in the world, or second most, agents and players aren't idiot, they want a piece of the cake because they are the main actors, they are the ones bringing eyes in front of screens and it's for our eyes and memories that sponsors are paying billions.

Ban

It's funny, it's being said he's not good at DM or as a creative outlet. So he's judged on 2 things he's not and he doesn't do.

AndersB

Herrera is good, but he is not 200k/week good. If United really want to challenge the biggest title, they need to upgrade on Herrera sometime soon.
I seem to be in the absolute minority here, which is a bit weird if Herrera is really as overrated on the Caf as you say, but I'd be willing to discuss wages like that. Keeping someone with character, who always gives his best for the shirt, is so valuable in and of itself. Especially in a group of players with a significant average level of sulkiness or primadonna tendencies. With Mata probs leaving soon, even more so.

And sorry to say, but this is football, not maths - to me such things are important just for the mere fact it makes me identify with the team. Heck, if I were to buy a jersey now, it'd probably be with his name on the back. He even winds up the opposition, and opposing team's fans. And he's our only real man-marker when that's needed. Every now and then he plays a killer pass too.

Ban

I seem to be in the absolute minority here, which is a bit weird if Herrera is really as overrated on the Caf as you say, but I'd be willing to discuss wages like that. Keeping someone with character, who always gives his best for the shirt, is so valuable in and of itself. Especially in a group of players with a significant average level of sulkiness or primadonna tendencies. With Mata probs leaving soon, even more so.

And sorry to say, but this is football, not maths - to me such things are important just for the mere fact it makes me identify with the team. Heck, if I were to buy a jersey now, it'd probably be with his name on the back. He even winds up the opposition, and opposing team's fans. And he's our only real man-marker when that's needed. Every now and then he plays a killer pass too.
He's United through and through. I'm baffled by the fact that people would gladly take mama's boy Rabiot instead who'll be nothing but trouble.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I would take Raboit and Rakitic as replacement and an addition though. Obviously a pipe dream.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
He's United through and through. I'm baffled by the fact that people would gladly take mama's boy Rabiot instead who'll be nothing but trouble.
He's a significantly better player, far too much sentiment for a team set to play Europa league football for 2nd time in 4 years and I don't understand it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I would take Raboit and Rakitic as replacement and an addition though. Obviously a pipe dream.
Rabiot makes too much sense for us to sign so it won't happen :(. Young, talented central midfielder that is already playing at a good level. Would also come on a free and has much more upside than Herrera.

Andersonson

The overrating of Herrera is unbearable, don’t get me wrong I rate and value him as a squad player, but I’d much rather have Matic playing in the DM role over him and I don’t even rate Matic that highly.

Don’t give me those excuses of Herrera being misused by previous managers as even Ole prefers Matic in the DM role and that’s a fact!
Spot on

beingshe7don

I've got a feeling that Herrera will eventually sign for us as we will succumb to paying his wages of 150k which is what PSG are offering him at this point in time. Rabiot may be an upgrade in Herrera in terms of skill and overall play but his attitude cannot be comparable to Herrera. With that being said, Rabiot will end up in the PL but may end up going to Arsenal or Liverpool. I can see Ed botching this up.

Aloysius's Back 3

I agree. A good squad player to have but if he is the best we are going to have as a CM or CDM in the next 2-3 years then I'd be a bit worried at our progress.

PaulRich

A good squad player to have but if he is the best we are going to have as a CM or CDM in the next 2-3 years then I'd be a bit worried at our progress.
This. You'd hope if AH is PSG bound a superior replacement has already been identified and our recruitment is in full swing. And there I think, is the issue.......

Fracture90

If reports are true it's down to him wanting more money, up to £200k then the club is well within it's right to hold their ground.

Sanchez' contract, what a virus. Whomever gave him that contract should be arrested .

finneh

Typical of Woodwards ineptitude. He should have been given a 4+1 year deal back in 2017 after being our best player that year. He'd have accepted a £30k wage hike to around £100k and we'd have one less thing to worry about.

That extra £3m that we would have paid him over the last 2 years will now be around a third of his signing on bonus whether he stays or goes and we'll be looking at £150k a week to boot.

Can't blame Herrera - if the club are stupid enough to wait until 6 months before his contract is up to start negotiating then he'd be stupid not to use his leverage. He's a £45m midfielder who's fully aware that he'll get a chunk of this as a signing on fee, along with larger wages if he plays hard ball.

I'm sure a compromise will be reached. We'll end up paying him £150k and agreeing to a 3+1 contract rather than the 2+1 reportedly in the table. It'll cost us £15m more than it would have cost 2 years ago but that's the cost of incompetence.

Losing him would be beyond stupid. To find someone who holds together Pogba and Matic as Herrera does is the most underappreciated task in our team. It's no coincidence that Herrera has been a key fixture in our turn around under Ole.

Ban

He's a significantly better player, far too much sentiment for a team set to play Europa league football for 2nd time in 4 years and I don't understand it.
I didn't say he's not better cause he is but he brings too much trouble with him.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Saying Rabiot is better than Herrera is arguable, saying he is significantly better is just piss take.

Ekeke

Rabiot makes too much sense for us to sign so it won't happen :(. Young, talented central midfielder that is already playing at a good level. Would also come on a free and has much more upside than Herrera.
He's unhappy and willing to walk away for free from PSG, what makes you think he'd be any happier here?

sherrinford

He's unhappy and willing to walk away for free from PSG, what makes you think he'd be any happier here?
Game time? Isn’t that where his issues at PSG stem from ultimately - his place in the team. Time for a change, is the impression I get. The Barcelona links make no sense to me. Where would you propose he would be happier?

RD94

I agree. A good squad player to have but if he is the best we are going to have as a CM or CDM in the next 2-3 years then I'd be a bit worried at our progress.
Spot on.Good player but if he signs,it only can be as future squad player and yes Matic is better option as DM and he is someone else we should replace in near future.There is too much overrating here

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Game time? Isn’t that where his issues at PSG stem from ultimately - his place in the team. Time for a change, is the impression I get. The Barcelona links make no sense to me. Where would you propose he would be happier?
No, the issue is that he believes that the club doesn't treat the players fairly, in terms of wage but also internal discipline with some player given a lot of leeway or money based on off field reasons. There was also allegedly an issue with the first contract offer 18 months ago where apparently PSG badly low balled him even though he has been on a relatively cheap contract, apparently someone like Choupo-Moting earns more than he does.

Ekeke

I thought he was being freezed out because he wouldnt sign a new contract. Therefore if he was happy to stay he'd be playing?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Ideally I'd take both. Rabiot is just turning 24 and has plenty of potential.

If Herrera wants a 4 year contract it's a small gamble as he'll be turning 34 by the end of it and being an all action player there is no guarantee how he'll fair with injuries and fitness in his 30s.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Herrera isn’t a fashionable player, and therefore the ridiculous levels of work rate and his unrivalled defensive contribution are either entirely ignored or devalued. Instead, people want to talk about his passing range or his goal tally. For a ball winning midfielder, which is what he is, his technical ability is more than good enough, and I encourage someone to present me with a player who wins the ball back as often as he does, while having better technical ability. He facilitates so much of the good we do as a side, and it’s no surprise that when he isn’t about we struggle to cope we decent oppposing midfielders.

Aloysius's Back 3

Spot on.Good player but if he signs,it only can be as future squad player and yes Matic is better option as DM and he is someone else we should replace in near future.There is too much overrating here
The thing is if Herrera goes to PSG he is going to be a well payed squad player. He isnt going to be as valued as he is at United. Therefore it makes sense for him to ask for a increase in wages - however acting like he is someone who is vital to our long term goals is wrong. He isnt going to be vital to any team's long term goals who want to achieve the best possible.

Give him an increase and utilise him as a important squad player; however if he is starting to act special for United then we need to think about how important he is actually going to be for us in the next 3 years.

I find his 'love for united' a tad overrated here. He is a hard working player that will work hard for any club that pays his bills. His hard work is seemingly his love for united which is there to a level; but hardly the level people are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.