Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepers

Please extend him here, I cannot take Ashley Young as a starter next season. Put the money to a defender instead please.

Aloysius's Back 3

Honestly if he believes he deserves the quoted wages let him free, useful in big games but against sides we need some control his limitations are there for all to be seen.
This - the lack of creativity in our squad comes from his position. Let him drop deeper but he isnt good enough playing further upwards in the pitch where we need passes like Luke shaw did from LB. Herrera hardly gets one right.

Rajma

Please extend him here, I cannot take Ashley Young as a starter next season. Put the money to a defender instead please.
Dalot should be playing instead of Young, boy is so much better it’s really frustrating to see him starting.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
Very very average player. Doesnt excel at anything yet has a cult following on this forum and amongst United fans. Should sell and target Ndombele or Rabiot.

ForestRGoinUp

We've finally gotten to the crux of it. I'm not surprised you don't get it. Creativity and technical ability aren't the same thing. Its not even close.

It wouldn't progress our midfield. It needs balance, and Herrera is the only one in there that is genuinely great at winning the ball back. We could have the greatest passers in the league but it would mean sod all if we can't recycle the ball. Pogba adds creativity, Herrera adds defensive strength, it's not rocket science to figure out where we need to strengthen.

You keep regurgitating this notion we will have to pay him the same as the world's top midfielders. Even if we double his wages he'll be on £150k. That's almost half what we pay Pogba. You don't seem to get it, despite it being said repeatedly by another poster, that to replace Herrera with someone of similar ability is going to cost us significantly more.

And there it is again. 'scrappy underdogs'. It just shows complete and utter ignorance of the import and skill required to win the ball back as efficiently
as the likes of Herrera and Kante. The best teams in the world succeed because they combine attacking brilliance with overturning the ball quickly and effectively. You don't become a top team without both. There's more than one way to acheive it: just looks at the lack of creativity in Liverpools midfield, but both are essential.
Don’t be so pedantic bro. We don’t have a midfield without Pogba.

mu4c_20le

That was our best midfield out there today... both Pogba and Matic were quiet, but he didn't really step up either

Greck

Must have been a bad day because there's no way what was on display today can be described as being hard to replace

Holters

Herrera has his moments but all in all he's to average to be a starting player if we want to challenge for the title.
Agree. He is a decent squad player and does well when given special instructions such as shadowing/man-marking a player (e.g. Hazard), but he is not good enough to be a consistent starter for a CL winning team. Sadly, that applies to many of our players though...

Ekeke

Must have been a bad day because there's no way what was on display today can be described as being hard to replace
5 tackles and 1 interception in 62 minutes isnt hard to replace? He was poor on the ball like the rest of our midfield today, but at least he offered something. Matic didnt and Pogba, only just about

This is our average positions from today. Matic and Ander played as a DM duo (kinda, Matic wasnt really there)

When he was taken off we changed tactics as Lingard and Pereira got much further forward, as we saw from Martial's goal with both highly involved

Last edited:

Jib

If he continues to play like that, PSG may change their mind.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Don’t be so pedantic bro. We don’t have a midfield without Pogba.
It's not pedantic. We aren't talking semantics here, you're just wrong. Technique and creativity aren't the same thing. You're conflating two entirely different things and now I've called you up on it you've return to form in this thread and pivoted. Unless you're actually going to qualify the things you state, don't bother replying.

ForestRGoinUp

It's not pedantic. We aren't talking semantics here, you're just wrong. Technique and creativity aren't the same thing. You're conflating two entirely different things and now I've called you up on it you've return to form in this thread and pivoted. Unless you're actually going to qualify the things you state, don't bother replying.
Pressure is on you now to explain what his limited technical ability is worth. He makes tackles, everyone knows that. What’s he doing when Pogba get marked out? Stop saying it’s not his job to pick up those pieces. We’re not Newcastle. Of course we should have more than one midfielder who can handle some of the creative burden.

ivaldo

Pressure is on you now to explain what his limited technical ability is worth. He makes tackles, everyone knows that. What’s he doing when Pogba get marked out? Stop saying it’s not his job to pick up those pieces. We’re not Newcastle. Of course we should have more than one midfielder who can handle some of the creative burden.
Nah, I think the pressure is on for you to try and justify why you’ve been conflating technical ability and creativity for so long. You’ve clearly got some weird idea of what technical ability means, so you might want to give me your bespoke definition of it before you expect me to answer a question pertaining to it.

I’ve already explained this to you and, predictably, you ignored it and moved on to your next nonsensical argument, like claiming Declan fecking Rice should be brought in to replace him. You’ve got this whacked out idea that unless Herrera is playing like Scholes lite in there, he isn’t good enough. Pogba is 90% of our creativity, Herrera does 90% of the defensive jobs, as well as linking the defence with the attack, what is out 3rd midfielder doing? You need to give a direct answer, for once here, don’t just move on like you’ve been doing all thread.

ForestRGoinUp

Nah, I think the pressure is on for you to try and justify why you’ve been conflating technical ability and creativity for so long. You’ve clearly got some weird idea of what technical ability means, so you might want to give me your bespoke definition of it before you expect me to answer a question pertaining to it.

I’ve already explained this to you and, predictably, you ignored it and moved on to your next nonsensical argument, like claiming Declan fecking Rice should be brought in to replace him. You’ve got this whacked out idea that unless Herrera is playing like Scholes lite in there, he isn’t good enough. Pogba is 90% of our creativity, Herrera does 90% of the defensive jobs, as well as linking the defence with the attack, what is out 3rd midfielder doing? You need to give a direct answer, for once here, don’t just move on like you’ve been doing all thread.
Stop being so pedantic and answer the question.

ivaldo

Stop being so pedantic and answer the question.
No, you answer the question. Stop moving things on and actually qualify what you say. You’ve been doing it all thread, and not just with me. You clearly have no idea what you mean yourself when you say ‘technical ability,’ so before you ask me to answer something based on a definition no one else agrees with or understands but yourself, explain it.

AR87

I like Herrera, but he's not a nailed on starting XI quality player for a club with aspirations of title glory domestically or abroad. He can definitely come in for a period and be excellent and is a sharp tactical option in high stakes matches due to his intelligence, but he lacks the cutting edge in possession to always hold down a spot imo.

I'd love to keep him, but if his wage demands are exorbitant as his been reported I don't think the club should give in. He's 29 and at the end of his prime and he often has these patches of horrific form, particularly after injury which occurs at least once or twice a season with his high intensity brand of play.

-Supreme-

You have no idea about who he rates, they are not in competition. There is no agreement or disagreement to have here when fit Pogba, Herrera and Matic start when one of them isn't fit the competition is between McTominay, Pereira and Fred. Matic and Herrera have been out at the same time at the exception of two games where they each missed a game which doesn't allow us to draw any conclusion.
It cannot be any more obvious that Ole sees Matic as a clear first choice DM or deep-lying midfielder, whereas Herrera has not even been asked to play there once!

This proves Ole rates him Matic very highly, definitely much higher than Herrera as a DM role, this is so obvious and if you can't see that then I'm worried for you and those that thinks Herrera will replace Matic's role next season.

Ekeke

It cannot be any more obvious that Ole sees Matic as a clear first choice DM or deep-lying midfielder, whereas Herrera has not even been asked to play there once!

This proves Ole rates him Matic very highly, definitely much higher than Herrera as a DM role, this is so obvious and if you can't see that then I'm worried for you and those that thinks Herrera will replace Matic's role next season.
He played there today, in a 2

Canucantona20

I’m okay with him leaving, if anything the position he will excel at is the DM Spot where Matic is. He does the dirty work but doesn’t offer enough going forward for me.

-Supreme-

He played there today, in a 2
He did...as a deep-lying midfielder behind Matic? I only caught bits of game today so can't be sure but I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

Herrera as it stands has not played as the deepest midfielder since Ole has been here, so to expect him to take over from Matic position next season is just pure fantasy.

Ekeke

He did...as a deep-lying midfielder behind Matic? I only caught bits of game today so can't be sure but I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

Herrera as it stands has not played as the deepest midfielder since Ole has been here, so to expect him to take over from Matic position next season is just pure fantasy.
They were 2 DMs

-Supreme-

They were 2 DMs
Ok, so he's been selected today as one of the 2 DMs and had a poor game and taken off early. Most importantly, I'd doubt this will be our regular formation / tactics going forward.

Even then this doesn't prove anything in what I said earlier about who Ole rates as a deepest midfielder

page302

All a bit fishy to me. I’ve read a few statements saying how the fans love him, he loves the club etc etc, all the while the transfer rumours keep appearing. If you think the club have just let his contract lapse due to incompetence you are very naive.

My own view, which is complete speculation is that he’s been looking at other clubs for a while now. I’m not calling him a snake, but I suspect his agent has been doing some behind the scenes work for at least the last 6 months. If he wants to leave, fine with me. We need players who want to be at the club and I think he’s replaceable. The only thing is he’s clearly a leader, something we lack a bit of at the moment.

Canagel

He looked dissapointed coming off. Didn't see him clap the supporters as usual (although I might be mistaken).

I like Herrera, but he's not a nailed on starting XI quality player for a club with aspirations of title glory domestically or abroad. He can definitely come in for a period and be excellent and is a sharp tactical option in high stakes matches due to his intelligence, but he lacks the cutting edge in possession to always hold down a spot imo.

I'd love to keep him, but if his wage demands are exorbitant as his been reported I don't think the club should give in. He's 29 and at the end of his prime and he often has these patches of horrific form, particularly after injury which occurs at least once or twice a season with his high intensity brand of play.
He’s 29 and at the end of his prime?! You don’t need to send every player to the Travellers yard just before they hit 30.

Herrera is a good squad player. Would rather he stayed, but wouldn’t lose any sleep if he does. He plays in a key position, where we have been distinctly average for the past decade. If him leaving prompts us to buy a quality CM, then that’s good news. If it just means promoting Fred to start more often, then that’s a problem.

I agree he’s inconsistent, and probably gets a few byes for his ‘passion’ on and off the pitch.

soapythecat

Ideal squad player for PSG because he would excel, week in week out, in Ligue 1. I do think he’s limited in ability and presence in the Prem which makes his supposed contract demands hard to take.
Problem is that we have Fred who can’t get a game, Pogba who I think we be sold, and Matic who needs replacing before any of them. Herrera will most certainly get a new contract because of this, which is really poor management by the club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If he is not going to be a starter next season, I can see why the club don't want to offer a huge contract. You don't really want reserves on £150k plus a week.

If he's going be a starter then give him £200k a week and the captain's armband. He's a shit but they make good captains. The Spanish Dennis Wise.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ander Herrera should not be allowed to leave on a free.

He brings a lot to us in big games when you need a Fletcher/ Park Ju Sung style nullifying player and more generally he’s an outstanding interceptor with Kante and Fernandinho being the only better players in the league at that role.

Regarding technical ability vs creativity there is a difference. Creativity is making chances for others. Herrera is a good passer but he’s not creative enough as his role has changed. In the Spanish U21 side he was creative but the team was set up to attack. At United his primary focus is to snuff out danger either from a press or reactive play so he is limited in terms of what he will offer us in terms of making chances.

His technical ability is first touch and general control of the ball in all situations. I would say Herrera is a competent technician but he is in no way a good or very good one.

So essentially what we have is an outstanding ball winner, who is technically good and creatively ok which is exactly what you need in big games UNLESS...

...you have sufficient enough quality elsewhere so that you are not often the dominant side. Take Man City for example Fernandinho at 33 is their sole midfield defensively minded player and yet they operate immensely well. This is because every attacking player takes up the 5-10% of slack required. They all work hard (and by work hard I mean press when needed and track back when needed) and are also creative. Bernardo Silva is an excellent example of someone who is technically superb, creative and hard working in the press and retrieval of errors. He’s not as good as Herrera at winning the ball back but he brings so much more going forward that teams don’t have as much chance to attack so the Herrera skill set is not needed as much.

So really the reason we need Herrera and the reason Solskjaer is so looking forward to pre season is collectively our team doesn’t work hard enough off the ball potentially due to ethic or fitness which means we rely on individuals to pick up the slack.

Another good example of this is Liverpool who can play without Fabinho and still control a midfield very well. This is again due to the collective efforts to retrieve the ball rather that burdoning one player with such a role.

Essentially we need Herrrera to manage our teams transition from what it is to a better pressing and harder working side. That cannot happen over night and requires a very good pre season to get everyone up to speed.

C'est Moi Cantona

Have to admit I care way less about this than a lot on here, if he stays great, but hopefully he'll be mostly a bench player, if he goes for a more money then I don't blame him, or us for not matching it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he is not going to be a starter next season, I can see why the club don't want to offer a huge contract. You don't really want reserves on £150k plus a week.

If he's going be a starter then give him £200k a week and the captain's armband. He's a shit but they make good captains. The Spanish Dennis Wise.
The problem is that we are where we are because we got rid of good squad players and bought big stars and shit players, and when the stars aren't performing then our shit players show that they are, well, shit. We shouldn't really get rid of very good squad players so easily, especially in midfield where we are the weakest on numbers. Also, this club has showed that throwing money it's not a problem, so why not spend few bucks more on a good squad player that we already know what he is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.