Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have mix feelings about this. I'd love to keep Herrera, he's a decent CM after all. However lets be clear, he can't become one of the highest earners at the club. Not at his age and certainly not with his talent. He's a great utility player but not top quality first teamer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem is that we are where we are because we got rid of good squad players and bought big stars and shit players, and when the stars aren't performing then our shit players show that they are, well, shit. We shouldn't really get rid of very good squad players so easily, especially in midfield where we are the weakest on numbers. Also, this club has showed that throwing money it's not a problem, so why not spend few bucks more on a good squad player that we already know what he is capable of.
One of SAF's rare flaws was to keep players way past their expiry date. Keane, Scholes, Anderson and Robson to mention a few. However even he, would get rid of workhorses by the time they hit 30 (a year here or there doesn't matter). Park, Butt, Fortune and Phil to mention a few.

I love Herrera. He's a great lad and he's one of best CMs. However he's no WC player (or anywhere near to that), his game is built around legwork and he's 29. I'd love us to keep him but not at any price.

JoaquinJoaquin

The usual Herrera cycle is in effect as always, which is 1 excellent game followed by the 2-3 awful ones. Been the story of his United career.

NJM78

I'm happy for him to go. The club of course coud have tried to tie him to a big contract a year ago for much lesser wages than he apparently wants now.

I like him as a squad player but wont lose any sleep if he left and even less so for Mata. The only midfileder I want to stay in our starting 11 is Pogba.

Kaglish10

You’re comparing him to the world player of the year... he’s set apart from every midfielder. And for what it’s worth, no he isn’t as good as winning the ball back as Herrera. He’s very good at pressing but doesn’t do it as well. Which comes around succinctly to another point. People don’t actually value it as a skill. How many times already have we seen it reduced to ‘working hard’ or ‘running about’ in this thread? Like any skill in football, there are levels of ability and players like Ander and Kante are at the very top.

We didn’t sign him purely to be a creative outlet. He was signed for what he demonstrated at Bilbao, and that includes his intelligence, pressing and ability to win the ball back. Unless you actually want to provide even a shred of evidence to support this, stop pushing it as fact. Just because you keep banging on about it doesn’t make it true.

So you’ve hardly seen him play as defensive midfielder in a 3 but you’ve decided he cannot play there... Yes, when he’s played in a 2 man midfield he’s had far more defensive responsibility than he would do if he played in a 3 with a 2nd player devoted to winning the ball back. You get this yes? Now considering Herreras greatest assets are his ability to cut out passing avenues, intercept, read the game and tackle, not to mention his solid passing base. It’s not a stretch to say he’s going to be able to play there, when his defensive responsibilities are lessened than when he used to play there in a 2.
Modric is quite good at winning the ball. Under Mourinho and Ancelotti, he was averaging 2 tackles and 2 interception per game. The fact that Madrid seems to always dominate possession which is also hinged on Modric's great work in the midfield has obviously cut down Modric's defensive works subsequently.

Every Man United fans know the reason why we signed Herrera was for his supposed playmaking and creativity. For crying loud, we were linked with Kroos and Fabregas before we eventually settled on him because he was much more mobile than the aforementioned two. He was signed for a record fee, definitely not the kind of amount that could be shelled out on just a defensive midfielder. Many fans even criticised Van Gaal for failing to bring out this acclaimed creativity which was all farce in the first place. We were struggling for creativity under Van Gaal and I bet the coach didn't want to add another non creative midfielder to his head ache, seeing that we don't need his defensive prowess while dominating possession. Hence, it looks odd to see you implying that we didn't sign Herrera for his supposed creativity.

That's by the way, the reason why I had to mention the fact that Herrera has hardly played as a lone CDM is because Kante who is also similar to Herrera has had it difficult operating as a lone CDM since he left Leicester where he was deployed alongside Drinkwater in a 2-man midfield. Conte tried to deploy him as the deepest midfielder and he fell flat on his face until he was eventually deployed alongside Matic in a familiar 2-man midfield setup. Same happened under Sarri who can't even trust him in the lone CDM role. Apart from the fact that Sarri requires more from his CDM than just defensive works, the CDM role entails much more than just snapping into tackles. As a CDM, you need to have a sound position discipline and awareness to block off opposition's passing lane as well as good movement and anticipation to provide options for the team in general etc. That's why I'm sceptical about Herrera operating as one. He's only been deployed in a 2-man midfield or as a box-box midfielder in a 3-man midfield.

Rolaholic

I'll have whatever he and his agent are smoking if this is true...

The Alexis deal is the gift that just keeps on giving

Rajma

I have mix feelings about this. I'd love to keep Herrera, he's a decent CM after all. However lets be clear, he can't become one of the highest earners at the club. Not at his age and certainly not with his talent. He's a great utility player but not top quality first teamer.
Pretty much this.

Ekeke

The usual Herrera cycle is in effect as always, which is 1 excellent game followed by the 2-3 awful ones. Been the story of his United career.
That seems to be said about all our hardest working, most consistently important players.

Posters dont seem to realize that their lack of understanding leads them to not rate good players.

-Supreme-

We shouldn’t go above 150k, set him free and let PSG have him.
Herrera and Lingard share similarities in what they offer to United, I'd say offer him similar wage as Lingard which is about 100k is fair.

R'hllor

We are screwed either way. They demand some crazy stuff after Sanchez fiasco, while we extending contracts to likes Young etc. So either we take a firm stand on wages and let them leave, try to reset wage structure or we might get fecked even more in the future, right now its not that awful but if we let this slide, things could be way worse after few years.

We could also get rid of players like Young,Darmian etc. and as replacements take our own products on lower wages, use difference in wages to fill up gaps. Also, we are on Arsenal level sometimes when it comes to contract extensions.

ForestRGoinUp

That seems to be said about all our hardest working, most consistently important players.

Posters dont seem to realize that their lack of understanding leads them to not rate good players.
We’ve already witnessed many times and determined that he can’t share in any of the creative burden that most Top midfields require. So the answer would be to pay him as much as Barcelona and Madrid’s top midfielders? That’s whacky talk.

Ekeke

We’ve already witnessed many times and determined that he can’t share in any of the creative burden that most Top midfields require. So the answer would be to pay him as much as Barcelona and Madrid’s top midfielders? That’s whacky talk.
I dont think we will pay as much as Madrid would pay a starting midfielder getting a new deal today, no

Modric is on 180k, Kroos 200k, Casemiro 90k, Isco 115k

So if they offered them a new deal today and they were in their prime, all those would go up

Ander is on 80k, so obviously his will go up too. I can't see him going past 150k which is probably less than Casemiro and Isco will ask for when its contract renewal time

El Zoido

He’s been excellent since Ole came in. His downturn in form coincides with the downturn in form for nearly every player in the team so it doesn’t seem fair to single him out.

Minimalist

Reckon we'll just pay it. It's the difference between ~9m and ~10.5m a year. Real question is whether he's worth anything to close to the figures, never mind the final contract that's settled.

Not sure he is myself, even at his best. But I think it'll come to down to keeping a happy camp (if he's important off the pitch too) and things of that nature.

passing-wind

Overrated and not enough to challenge for any prestigious title, PSG are doing us a favour, spend the 150-200k a week on someone who can offer more in his position.

0le

Sums up my feelings as well.

jesperjaap

Completely agree

Judas

Open to offers
Cya later lad, if it's true he wants that sort of money he can go. Daft money for someone who we'd all probably happily replace in the starting lineup with someone better. As much as I'd like him in the squad, that money is mad.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
95% convinced he is staying in Manchester. PSG is just helping him negociate better wages.

Paul_Scholes18

Herrera never seemed like a greedy person so strange if he demands extreme wages. Maybe De gea is effecting him too and us paying a lot to others.

We are turning into a club with lots of mercenaries with players joining/stay for money. While players join City to mainly win titles now.

Rolaholic

Duncan Castles is reporting that he's all set to join Qatari $aint Germain on a free...

Gonna miss his prescence in the locker room but a silver lining would be that now we're sure to be in the market for an upgrade in the MF. He's been a great spirit and character for the team but hasn't been up to level as a starter for a club of United's ambition.

We're better off finding a better quality replacement than forking over the wages he was reportedly asking tbh

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Fecking hell. We already needed at least 3/4 players to genuinely compete. Make that 4/5. The club better be prepared to dig deep this summer.

FujiVice

I'm not as big on Herrera as a lot of United fans and wouldnt be to fussed if we'd got a fee for him, but the fact we've allowed it to get to a point where he's leaving for free is so fecking dumb, heads would roll at another club. fecking idiots.

Shinjch

If he was really looking for 200k a week then I think it makes sense to let him go. A good player, and a likeable fella, but his position is definitely upgradeable.

Sylar

Duncan Castles is reporting that he's set to join the Qatari $aint Germain on a free...

Gonna miss his prescence in the locker room but a silver lining would be that now we're sure to be in the market for an upgrade in the MF. He's been a great spirit and character for the team but hasn't been up to level as a starter for a club of United's ambition.

We're better off finding a better quality replacement than forking over the wages he was reportedly asking tbh
Are we? If we lose him on a free, thats a problem as we now have to stump up a transfer fee +wages on:
1) potential that may or may not be better than herrera
2) a ready made player that may be the same age or a year younger and may take some time to accumulate

We really need to be lucky to find a player to replace and hit the ground running for a price that would mean we are better off not paying 200k to Herrera (I reckon a ready made player will want 200k anyway).

The other issue is we had more pressing concerns for our team. Losing herrera means since Ole has taken over, we are 2 midfielders down but freed up wages. (How much is herrera on now anyway, that we would be saving?)

Ekeke

Hopefully April Fools.

Ole said this about him

"His energy and tenaciousness is vital for us," Solskjaer said recently. "And that's why he plays, more or less, every single game. He has loads of energy, he can cover the right-hand side, he runs forward."

Zlatattack

If Herrera goes, I think we need to sign Rabiot. He's a creative CM and he's available on a free. What we then need a a CDM to replace Matic who is high energy. That's the real weak point in midfield.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If he doesn't want to stay, then let him go. You make a real effort for the great players, but Herrera is emminently replaceable. I want players who want to play for United, not those who are on the fence about it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Seems he's decided to leave.
Imo, we should only use him sporadically. If we continue to play him, he will deliver more performances like Sunday.
Good luck to him, I've always liked him.

ErranMorad

Duncan Castles is reporting that he's all set to join Qatari $aint Germain on a free...
Is he still doing Jose's bidding? May just be shit stirring to please his lord and savior.

:eek:

Are you one of our players?

I totally understand your comment about him being not the top top quality player we need for our midfield. He is a handy squad player whose absence shouldn't be missed too much in normal circumstances. However, our squad is far from normal and needs another surgery this summer. Currently, Herrera is our second name in the midfield behind Pogba. Our last big money midfield signing cannot get on the field ahead of McTommy and Pereira, two youngish players who aren't very good. It easy to say we'll upgrade him in the summer, but the new player will first need to settle in, and then prove himself capable. This is bad news, if true. We had bigger headaches this summer than replacing a player who was well settled and performed on a decent level for us more often than not.

TrueRed79

Not fussed at all. He's a good squad player and tries his best but as a starting MF, not up to the standard required to get us back to the top. Wouldn't be against him staying but if he's asking for ridiculous wages, then good luck in the mickey mouse league.

Dan_F

Zero chance of us replacing Matic if this happens. Also, can see De Gea wanting to leave if Mata and Herrera leave.

Canagel

Hopefully April Fools.

Ole said this about him

"His energy and tenaciousness is vital for us," Solskjaer said recently. "And that's why he plays, more or less, every single game. He has loads of energy, he can cover the right-hand side, he runs forward."
Let it go Ekeke- he's off. The club can't keep overpaying wages to satisfy OK players.

Status
Not open for further replies.