Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
"(The fans) love trier's. When they try, the fans always take to that. That's the great thing about football - a lad who tries all the time can be forgiven for many a thing"

-Alex Ferguson, 2009-

Ekeke

Players like Herrera tend to get overrated because of the passion they've shown for the club. In the 5 years or so he's been at United he's never fully established himself in the first XI. He's a decent midfielder that can occasionally put in good performances. For the right price he's worth keeping, but he's not worth anywhere close to what's being reported. If he goes to PSG then good for him, but Fred (recently) and Mctominay (more so than Fred) has shown they can be trusted and hopefully we add to that in the summer.
So you dont think he's fully established himself in midfield despite being 1 of only 2 players to win player of the year since Sir Alex left? (1x Ander, 4x De Gea) and this season being our 2nd best midfielder?

What does it take to establish yourself in midfield then? Cuz I guess Pogba hasnt done it yet either

Ekeke

"(The fans) love trier's. When they try, the fans always take to that. That's the great thing about football - a lad who tries all the time can be forgiven for many a thing"

-Alex Ferguson, 2009-
Yep, talking about Tevez as we replaced him with Berbatov. While Tevez went on to be one of the best forwards around and Berbatov failed to live up to expectations and had 1 good season

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Yep, talking about Tevez as we replaced him with Berbatov. While Tevez went on to be one of the best forwards around and Berbatov failed to live up to expectations and had 1 good season
Probably shouldn't replace Herrera with Berbatov then.

crossy1686

career ending
There's no way we'll sign two CM's this summer, and who are these reserve players? Pereira and McTominay are not good enough and Garner has just turned 18, it'll be a few seasons before he's ready.
Why won't we? Don't be surprised if we don't sign a defender in the summer. We're letting Herrera go on a free for a reason and we have to convince the likes of De Gea and Pogba to sign new contracts. If that means signing two or three quality forward/midfield options, that's exactly what we'll do.

No one ever things youth players are ready until they're given a chance and it turns out they are ready. We've got enough back up options in the middle, we haven't got enough first choice options though.

matt23

So you dont think he's fully established himself in midfield despite being 1 of only 2 players to win player of the year since Sir Alex left? (1x Ander, 4x De Gea) and this season being our 2nd best midfielder?

What does it take to establish yourself in midfield then? Cuz I guess Pogba hasnt done it yet either
Pogba is one of the first names on the team sheet though and Herrera hasn't been for at least 2 of his managers.

Josep Dowling

As a person though he was a massive cnut. Football is more than just talent. You have to keep a dressing room of people happy. Tevez was lazy in training, couldn’t speak any English and has always followed the money. Not a great role model in a team.

matt23

I defend Woodward a lot, but securing the services of Phil Jones while seemingly letting Herrera walk for for free is indefensible, shoddy work from the club.

Judas

Open to offers
I defend Woodward a lot, but securing the services of Phil Jones while seemingly letting Herrera walk for for free is indefensible, shoddy work from the club.
Why would you happily give into insane wage demands for Herrera when he simply isn't worth it? Ed has to draw the line somewhere, or this is going to keep happening. If Herrera has tried his luck and its failed, so be it. Cya.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I see it as a loss, but midfield is clearly a weak spot and we've not managed to build Herrera into a dominant unit in 5 years.

Moving to PSG affords him some guaranteed success and guaranteed CL football which might enhance his profile to play for Spain if he actually plays.

But it means yet another big midfield signing is needed on top of the one we probably needed anyway. Neves is a favourite, although still has much to learn to ply his trade in the PL.

I guess I'm sat on the fence and hope Ole and the club have a plan on how to put together a strong midfield for next season onwards.

Ekeke

As a person though he was a massive cnut. Football is more than just talent. You have to keep a dressing room of people happy. Tevez was lazy in training, couldn’t speak any English and has always followed the money. Not a great role model in a team.
No but he showed he could get results, while Berbatov was a wall flower.

Triers typically improve more than people who don't try.

crossy1686

career ending
No but he showed he could get results, while Berbatov was a wall flower.

Triers typically improve more than people who don't try.
Berbatov had his moments and has generally been class where ever he's gone. I suggest you read the unscripted interview with him that United did. He talks about being generally in awe of everyone and everything due to his humble beginnings, which is why he was quite shy a lot of the time.

Tevez also went over to China, got paid £1m a week and did absolutely nothing. Literally treated it as a holiday and told everyone in Argentina it was.

Judas

Open to offers
We've lost far better players and been absolutely fine. I'm not worried about losing an above average midfielder.
Basically this. If he didn't go on about "passion" and "love for the club" think the reaction would be very different on here. All of those words mean absolutely nothing now anyway, especially as it wasn't even that long ago he was throwing out quotes like that, empty words.

matt23

And those managers were sacked while the club wanted to keep Ander
Wanted to keep him? We've just given Phil Jones and Ashley Young new contracts
Why would you happily give into insane wage demands for Herrera when he simply isn't worth it? Ed has to draw the line somewhere, or this is going to keep happening. If Herrera has tried his luck and its failed, so be it. Cya.
Because as far as half competent midfielders go, Ander is in a group of himself and Pogba at this club, whereas when it comes to inconsistent CBs that would struggle to hold down a place in most top 10 clubs, we're flush.

Devil may care

Why won't we? Don't be surprised if we don't sign a defender in the summer. We're letting Herrera go on a free for a reason and we have to convince the likes of De Gea and Pogba to sign new contracts. If that means signing two or three quality forward/midfield options, that's exactly what we'll do.

No one ever things youth players are ready until they're given a chance and it turns out they are ready. We've got enough back up options in the middle, we haven't got enough first choice options though.
I don't think we will because I don't have faith in our haphazard transfer moves, we were obvioulsy intending to keep Herrera and have offered him a huge pay hike to stay by all reports, we aren't letting him go because we want another CM, he's turning down the 170K we are offering him to stay, this isn't a proactive business move from us, we simply aren't stumping up enough to keep him. I keep hearing about us not buying a CB and I'm not a fan of most of the options out there but we aren't winning anything with Smalling and Lindelof as the starters week in and week out with 2 crocks as back-up, just as long as everybody realizes that.

Garner has played about 90 seconds of senior football, you don't step into a very difficult role like holding midfield at a club like United without plenty of blooding, all Garner has done is play kids football, and I know someone will mention Rice but for starters he's a beast physically, and secondly he's not playing in the pressurized environment of a club like United, Matic needs upgrading this summer with a player who is proven, and now so does Ander, that's on top of us needing another forward and a RB, I am far from convinced in Woodward getting this done, especially with Real and Bayern also looking to rebuild. .

Judas

Open to offers
Wanted to keep him? We've just given Phil Jones and Ashley Young new contracts

Because as far as half competent midfielders go, Ander is in a group of himself and Pogba at this club, whereas when it comes to inconsistent CBs that would struggle to hold down a place in most top 10 clubs, we're flush.
We should be setting our sights much higher anyway. Many on here wanted Ander to be relegated to simply a squad option this summer, and rightfully so.

OlesWheel

So my take on this is...I reckon Duncan castle is talking rubbish. He’s taken another source (RMC I think it is) and made his own spin on it.

As it is, I’m not a fan of Duncan Castle. He’s not got a clue about United now from what I understand. He’s just wanting his tabloid time.

I hope he doesn’t go as ideally he would be my preferred choice of getting the captains armband. I would have expected Ander to wear the badge over taking a huge wage rise. Always got that impression of him.

reddevil702

Pogba and Matic are established. POY in 2016 and yet in 2017 he was in and out of the lineup, consistently losing his place to Fellaini. I agree that he's been our 2nd best midfielder this season, does that really say much given Matic and Pogba's form under Jose? Under Ole he and Matic have both been much better yet inconsistent.

J@son

We could replace Ander with a better player, although I would like to see him stay as we need players like him on the bench if we want to get back in the title race. many fans were talking about giving him the captaincy before he got injured against Liverpool.

The big issue is do we pay £200k to a player who could be a squad player next season!? especially after how much we pay out to Sanchez every week.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are going for him mainly because we beat them and they want to get back at us.
They are that type of club, remember what they did to Barcelona because of Veratti?

Darius_MUFC1991

Barbados, formally Ripon and South London
Players like Herrera tend to get overrated because of the passion they've shown for the club. In the 5 years or so he's been at United he's never fully established himself in the first XI. He's a decent midfielder that can occasionally put in good performances. For the right price he's worth keeping, but he's not worth anywhere close to what's being reported. If he goes to PSG then good for him, but Fred (recently) and Mctominay (more so than Fred) has shown they can be trusted and hopefully we add to that in the summer.
What about the season he was our player of the year?

Lets get things straight. Fred has performed in 2 matches, McTominay in 2 matches. What makes you think this makes them worthy of being in a title winning squad?

On this logic Macheda should still be playing up front for us! :D

Champagne Football

Can you link to this information? I could only find a link suggesting we're paying him £120k which is madness
All I know is that Jones is getting what the going rate is for a squad player at a club like Utd. I'm sure there's appearance related targets he must meet to get the full whack.

matt23

Phil Jones wasn't demanding double the salary he is currently worth to sign an extension
That's probably because Phil Jones knows he's lucky enough to be considered a professional footballer given every single one of his managers over the last 10 years have given up on him ever developing.

Also what do you expect Herrera's agent to start of negotiations at? At worst he's an extremely useful midfielder with intelligence to his game, and he's spent most of the last 3 seasons being overlooked because he isn't 9 foot tall.

For me, if we let him go we have to buy a replacement for him on top of whoever else we desperately need in CM. I just don't think we're in a position to start letting reasonably decent CMs walk.

Champagne Football

That's probably because Phil Jones knows he's lucky enough to be considered a professional footballer given every single one of his managers over the last 10 years have given up on him ever developing.

Also what do you expect Herrera's agent to start of negotiations at? At worst he's an extremely useful midfielder with intelligence to his game, and he's spent most of the last 3 seasons being overlooked because he isn't 9 foot tall.

For me, if we let him go we have to buy a replacement for him on top of whoever else we desperately need in CM. I just don't think we're in a position to start letting reasonably decent CMs walk.
Players have a going rate that 99% of clubs will pay, but if 1 club in China suddenly comes along and offers 3 times what everyone else is then the player will probably head off to China.

The selling club know they will easily replace the outgoing player with someone from the academy on much lower wages so it's win win for everyone

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think we will because I don't have faith in our haphazard transfer moves, we were obvioulsy intending to keep Herrera and have offered him a huge pay hike to stay by all reports, we aren't letting him go because we want another CM, he's turning down the 170K we are offering him to stay, this isn't a proactive business move from us, we simply aren't stumping up enough to keep him. I keep hearing about us not buying a CB and I'm not a fan of most of the options out there but we aren't winning anything with Smalling and Lindelof as the starters week in and week out with 2 crocks as back-up, just as long as everybody realizes that.

Garner has played about 90 seconds of senior football, you don't step into a very difficult role like holding midfield at a club like United without plenty of blooding, all Garner has done is play kids football, and I know someone will mention Rice but for starters he's a beast physically, and secondly he's not playing in the pressurized environment of a club like United, Matic needs upgrading this summer with a player who is proven, and now so does Ander, that's on top of us needing another forward and a RB, I am far from convinced in Woodward getting this done, especially with Real and Bayern also looking to rebuild. .
We've offered Herrera a contract that's in line with his current market worth, it's not a huge contract. PSG are offering him a huge contract and guaranteed trophies.

You're right, we aren't going to win anything of note next season, that is absolutely no surprise to anyone and anyone thinks we're in line to win a major trophy next season then they're delusional. The defence will be patched next season with Dalot replacing Young in the first team, we'll invest heavily in the midfield and front line. This is why Herrera is being allowed to leave. PSG's interest won't have been a surprise to anyone, teams generally speak to agents months before any official contract offers are made, United will have been aware of this and kept in the loop.

We'll have already identified targets or be working on replacements now. This notion that everyone just woke up yesterday is bollocks.

Our transfer policy under recent management has been signing players the manager believe's will improve the team. The only reason there's been talk of a DOF was because it turns out the managers we've appointed have been fecking shit at building squads and just think you buy the best players available that = trophies. Thing's are going to be different under Solskjær, we're more likely to sign Sancho or Zaha than we are Bale.

I could quote many but Rashford had played 0 minutes of senior football before getting his chance in the Europa league and then putting Arsenal to the sword in the PL game.

We won't be shopping in the same market as those two teams or anyone else. I think we'll look to pillage smaller PL teams as we've done historically, also look around Europe's B leagues such as Portugal, Holland etc. We shouldn't be buying for the sake of buying anymore.

Ekeke

All I know is that Jones is getting what the going rate is for a squad player at a club like Utd. I'm sure there's appearance related targets he must meet to get the full whack.
How do you know that?

120k would be more than our captain, more than Smalling (unless his went up to that too?), etc

Stacks

Only annoyance is that Matic was my preffered to be replaced 1st. Looks like another season of Matic as we won't replace 2 in one window. Then there's Pogba to Real. "TURMOIL at United as club set to replace entire midfield" reads the papers tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.