Anderson - is he the 'real deal'? | Retires age 31

Danish Voice

Every Arsenal player is and will always be better tha United's according to Pete.

However it's always us standing with the trophies. Strange that.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anderson will definitely make it. He's got most of the instinctive natural attributes that aren't really learnt, like his use of his body in tackles/general. He's very good at that.

Though it's hard to determine where exactly he'll end up playing position/role wise. A surging midfielder might be his niche'.
That's what I think, and hope...

Pete we talk this stuff on our forums mate. Not here.
Showing your side up he is, sort him out...

afrocentricity

No crazier than suggesting that Anderson will eclipse Fabregas as a CM, much less crazy in fact.
Get off Fabregas cock for a minute and read what you have been writing... if you're trying to mirror some of the ott comments we get re Anderson you should know most of those are from spotty teenagers. Must try harder pete...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We've heard it all before though Pogue, how many have actually lived up to the hype? a hand full....
Arsenal's kids will always be over-hyped, thanks to the location and affiliations of all of the most popular sports journalists. James Lawton being one of the most cringeworthy.

I do think their current crop is the best in a while and that Wilshere is gonna be a phenomenal player.

Ramsey? Probably. The jury's still out but he looks a decent player and when SAF and Wenger duke it out over the same young footballer, chances are he's got what it takes.

Anderson might well turn out to better than any of them, mind you. As has been pointed out loads of times in this thread, he's really played very little senior football and he's already starting to look at home in the Premier League. Definitely a rough diamond but a diamond nonetheless.

afrocentricity

All I ever wanted was for someone to take over from the ginger ninja, It'll take some doing but if he can then I'll be happy...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
All I ever wanted was for someone to take over from the ginger ninja, It'll take some doing but if he can then I'll be happy...
I wanted the same.

As it happens I don't think Anderson will ever be able to do the things that Scholes can. On the plus side, he's already doing things that Scholes never could.

So, he'll be a different player to Scholes but the team might still be just as strong, so long as we work out how to make the most of Anderson's talents.

Jens' Face

An Arse
Fabregas is largely a powderpuff attacking midfielder. Equally as responsible for Arsenal's lack of fight as any other Arsenal player. He'll probably never have the natural fighting instinct that Anderson has, and that is why Anderson has the potential to become a more rounded central midfielder than Fabregas IMO.
This is an exemplary post in two respects. First, it illustrates a common confusion and conflation -- mixing up character and physical attributes. This happens all the time when people talk about sports; it's inevitable, I suppose, in an activity intrinsically about physical accomplishment.

Second, it's a cautionary example of what can happen to your ideas if your brain stops working.

Fabregas is "a powderpuff attacking midfielder." I guess saying this, in order to contrast him with Anderson, makes sense in two respects (allowing, of course, for a rival supporter's hyperbole). (A) that he plays an attacking role as opposed to the quasi-defensive one, which Anderson plays; and we all know that holding midfielders are the hard men. (B) that Cesc doesn't have the same kind of body as Anderson; he is smaller and weaker.

Indeed. I -- and several others -- have already pointed out that Cesc and Anderson are very different kind of footballers.

The stoopiditee comes in with the confusion between physical weakness and mental weakness. What Bilbo seems to believe is that a winning character -- or whatever you want to call it -- manifests itself only in one form -- in that hard-man, blood-and-thunder type. In fact, Cesc is one of the more competitive players out there and has a real will to win -- a will, moreover, that he has brought to accomplishment many many times.

In fact, you could look at it along these lines: Cesc has "by himself" won more games than Anderson has. But again, this doesn't mean he has a stronger character than Anderson. It's because of the nature of his role on the pitch, as the orchestrator of Arsenal's attack.

(Btw, to make a digression into cultural psychology, it occurs to me that Bilbo's ideas are quintessentially English ideas about football. You wouldn't see a Spaniard, Brazilian, or Italian formulate judgments about football along the same lines at all. And, moreover, that that is why English players tend to have the weaknesses that they do, like technical insufficiency and tactical naivete.)

I do hope you're not comparing him to Keane or Vieira Pete? Two men and a boy.

Fabregas isn't yet 'great' on a consistent basis. No point arguing otherwise
and here's Bilbo again, making the same error. Anderson is in fact much more of the Keane/Vieira type than Cesc is. It's simply not a relevant comparison.

Arsenal's kids will always be over-hyped, thanks to the location and affiliations of all of the most popular sports journalists. James Lawton being one of the most cringeworthy
:lol:

I love James Lawton. He is unbelievably, amazing, spectacularly, brilliantly, wonderfully inclined to get caught up in his flights of poetic fancy and lose all touch with the solid earth of reality.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is an exemplary post in two respects. First, it illustrates a common confusion and conflation -- mixing up character and physical attributes. This happens all the time when people talk about sports; it's inevitable, I suppose, in an activity intrinsically about physical accomplishment.

Second, it's a cautionary example of what can happen to your ideas if your brain stops working.

Fabregas is "a powderpuff attacking midfielder." I guess saying this, in order to contrast him with Anderson, makes sense in two respects (allowing, of course, for a rival supporter's hyperbole). (A) that he plays an attacking role as opposed to the quasi-defensive one, which Anderson plays; and we all know that holding midfielders are the hard men. (B) that Cesc doesn't have the same kind of body as Anderson; he is smaller and weaker.

Indeed. I -- and several others -- have already pointed out that Cesc and Anderson are very different kind of footballers.

The stoopiditee comes in with the confusion between physical weakness and mental weakness. What Bilbo seems to believe is that a winning character -- or whatever you want to call it -- manifests itself only in one form -- in that hard-man, blood-and-thunder type. In fact, Cesc is one of the more competitive players out there and has a real will to win -- a will, moreover, that he has brought to accomplishment many many times.

In fact, you could look at it along these lines: Cesc has "by himself" won more games than Anderson has. But again, this doesn't mean he has a stronger character than Anderson. It's because of the nature of his role on the pitch, as the orchestrator of Arsenal's attack.

(Btw, to make a digression into cultural psychology, it occurs to me that Bilbo's ideas are quintessentially English ideas about football. You wouldn't see a Spaniard, Brazilian, or Italian formulate judgments about football along the same lines at all. And, moreover, that that is why English players tend to have the weaknesses that they do, like technical insufficiency and tactical naivete.)

and here's Bilbo again, making the same error. Anderson is in fact much more of the Keane/Vieira type than Cesc is. It's simply not a relevant comparison.

I love James Lawton. He is unbelievably, amazing, spectacularly, brilliantly, wonderfully inclined to get caught up in his flights of poetic fancy and lose all touch with the solid earth of reality.
Thats a spectacular amount of bollocks Jens. And the sad thing is, it looks like you really made the effort too.

EDIT: I will say though, with regards to your final bracketed paragraph, that this leads me to predict that you have probably never actually played a game of football yourself.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The fact is Fabregas doesn't have the same fight that Anderson has, that's clear to anyone.

We've admitted the same about Carrick lacking that fight, you should be able to about Fabregas.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The fact is Fabregas doesn't have the same fight that Anderson has, that's clear to anyone.

We've admitted the same about Carrick lacking that fight, you should be able to about Fabregas.
I have never once heard any Arsenal fan on the planet utter even a hint of a bad word about Fabregas. Which is kind of understandable, given that he is jewel in the crown over at the Emirates, but also somewhat reflective of their own managers failings to see any of the faults in his own squad.

Brwned

I have never once heard any Arsenal fan on the planet utter even a hint of a bad word about Fabregas. Which is kind of understandable, given that he is jewel in the crown over at the Emirates, but also somewhat reflective of their own managers failings to see any of the faults in his own squad.
I've read plenty on Arsenal forums saying he should be dropped if he continues to not put the effort in, and a few of them seem to be as sick about him eventually moving to Spain as some of us are about Ronaldo and Madrid.

marcus agrippa

Fabregas > Anderson

Always will be. At the moment, Anderson has no greater role than if somebody like Alan Smith was still playing in midfield for you.

You've either got it, or you don't.

Fabregas has got it, just look how many assists he gets.

you are an idiot.

after tha daft statement, i won't take anything you say about the game seriously.

you not only have a crystal ball, you also reckon Alan Smith was as good a central midfielder as Anderson. seriously!!!

Alex

Fabregas > Anderson

Always will be. At the moment, Anderson has no greater role than if somebody like Alan Smith was still playing in midfield for you.

You've either got it, or you don't.

Fabregas has got it, just look how many assists he gets.
What an absolute load of shit

Jens' Face

An Arse

100% hand-on-my-heart honesty, it's not clear to me. I believe - -again, in all sincerity -- that Cesc has tons of fight and determination and character.

I'd be genuinely interested if you could explain why the opposite seems so clear to you. Maybe we are disagreeing over the facts; on the other hand (though I doubt it) maybe by "fight" we mean different things?

Brwned

100% hand-on-my-heart honesty, it's not clear to me. I believe - -again, in all sincerity -- that Cesc has tons of fight and determination and character.

I'd be genuinely interested if you could explain why the opposite seems so clear to you. Maybe we are disagreeing over the facts; on the other hand (though I doubt it) maybe by "fight" we mean different things?
When the going gets tough he doesn't step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck, although he does make the team tick. Where was he against Stoke? It's not even the fact that he didn't play well, but players like Keane would have lead their team even when not playing well and set an example of how everyone else should go about their work.

He's not an inspirational character in terms of his attitude and work-rate either.

All things which show a sign of fight.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
When the going gets tough he doesn't step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck, although he does make the team tick. Where was he against Stoke? It's not even the fact that he didn't play well, but players like Keane would have lead their team even when not playing well and set an example of how everyone else should go about their work.

He's not an inspirational character in terms of his attitude and work-rate either.

Why are you comparing a lad, who's barely out of his 20s, with Roy Keane?

Seriously, I don't know how anyone could deny that that Fabregas is way ahead of Anderson, in every aspect of his game, for now. Even if Anderson never gets as good as Fabregas is right now, he could still become a decent footballer. Fabregas is probably already one of the top 6 or 7 best central midfielders in Europe, IMO.

Brwned

Why are you comparing a lad, who's barely out of his 20s, with Roy Keane?

Seriously, I don't know how anyone could deny that that Fabregas is way ahead of Anderson, in every aspect of his game, for now. Even if Anderson never gets as good as Fabregas is right now, he could still become a decent footballer. Fabregas is probably already one of the top 6 or 7 best central midfielders in Europe, IMO.
I'm comparing someone with very little fight to someone well-known for having an enormous amount of fight. Seems a lot easier than going through a list of players and trying to remember someone else at 20 who has plenty of fight, like Anderson.

I agree with the second part, I don't remember reading anyone who did say that Fabregas isn't a better player than Anderson in this thread anyway and it would be stupid to.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm comparing someone with very little fight to someone well-known for having an enormous amount of fight. Seems a lot easier than going through a list of players and trying to remember someone else at 20 who has plenty of fight, like Anderson.

I agree with the second part, I don't remember reading anyone who did say that Fabregas isn't a better player than Anderson in this thread anyway and it would be stupid to.
So you're focussing on the fight thing only?

Cause I've seen Fabregas pretty much carry his entire team on his back, on a number of occasions, something Ive never seen Anderson do.

But like I said, this is no shame on Anderson. He's a 20 year old rough diamond, who is still finding his feet in the Premier League. It's almost unfair to compare him with someone who is the best player in Arsenal's squad, by quite some margin.

Brwned

So you're focussing on the fight thing only?

Cause I've seen Fabregas pretty much carry his entire team on his back, on a number of occasions, something Ive never seen Anderson do.

But like I said, this is no shame on Anderson. He's a 20 year old rough diamond, who is still finding his feet in the Premier League. It's almost unfair to compare him with someone who is the best player in Arsenal's squad, by quite some margin.
Yeah, that's all I was commenting on.

Fabregas has dominated midfields, Fabregas has dominated games for the entire 90 minutes and he is the difference between a 1 goal win and a 4 goal win in the same way Scholes is to us(as you pointed out before).

He's better in every single technical area of the game I can think of bar dribbling, and he is light years ahead of him in terms of footballing intelligence.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, that's all I was commenting on.

Fabregas has dominated midfields, Fabregas has dominated games for the entire 90 minutes and he is the difference between a 1 goal win and a 4 goal win in the same way Scholes is to us(as you pointed out before).

He's better in every single technical area of the game I can think of bar dribbling, and he is light years ahead of him in terms of footballing intelligence.
Yup. That's what I think.

On the plus side - for us United fans - Anderson is more gifted, genetically, in terms of natural strength and speed. And he is very talented on the ball. If he can make the most of these gifts - combined with the improvement in decision-making and reading of the game that will come with age - then, and only then, will we be talking about a player who could be better than Fabregas.

Jens' Face

An Arse

Okay. First thing, I guess, is to make this one thing clear: My thinking that Cesc has fight does not mean I think Anderson doesn't, or even that I think Cesc has more than Anderson. I am arguing with the absolute assertion that Cesc is not a fighter. You understand that, I assume.

That's all that's relevant to this thread. So I made another.

https://www.redcafe.net/f7/cesc-fabregas-character-competitiveness-225174/#post5390946