Anderson - is he the 'real deal'? | Retires age 31

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
I'm not slagging him for fun so dont turn it into a 'my bollocks are bigger than yours' thread
Ah well, all the best intentions and that but still a good read back lads, some interesting views there

It was never a slag off of Anderson although of course it ended up being as if it was :rolleyes:

He is a very good promising prospect and many Utd fans I think highlight what maybe is missing about him at the moment. The reality check of quite a few though gives balance to the fact that he has some way to go though

Reality is that he is no Keane and again I cannot see where this will happen and the thought that he could be another Scholes I cannot get at all.

It seems many myself included feel he is actually a bit of a mysterious figure in respect of 'position' - where should he play exactly ? and the feeling is that in the modern game players often 'crossover ' in position but for some that can be a weakness as they end up betwixt and between - maybe one of his biggest problems is that he himself does not exactly know where he should be and that often comes through from him.

I'd say the jury is still out on him to some extent

Comparisons with Fabregas are a bit meaningless. Fabs has much more experience and I think a better more clinical footballers brain and plays in a different position.
Its easy because of the players different physical build to fit them into a particular category and so maybe Fabregas' will to win is subjugated under Andersons bigger biceps but I'd never concede that Fabregas is not competitve has no bottle and does not completely run many games.

That is the oddness I find about Anderson - he seems almost to be a stop and starter - he looks like he runs a game and does for ten minutes then he's almost on canter mode for long spells. Big mental thing there, maybe his levels of concentration are poor. I dont know

If that aspect changes big time and no doubt Frerguson is drilling that into him then he will go on to fullfill everybody's highest predictions but if he does'nt he'll end up following some others out of it

(no doubt he'll score today!:D)

Alex

Roy keane came to United at 22 from NF, Anderson came to United at 19 from Portugal via Brazil, the fact that he can keep his spot and earn regular selection at this time is enough for me he earns his spot in United's great MF at this age amongst Scholes, Carrick, Hargo(I know he is injured), and Fletcher, of all of the above none could be said the same of, he is one who waiting for will be rewarded mark me words

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Roy keane came to United at 22 from NF, Anderson came to United at 19 from Portugal via Brazil, the fact that he can keep his spot and earn regular selection at this time is enough for me he earns his spot in United's great MF at this age amongst Scholes, Carrick, Hargo(I know he is injured), and Fletcher, of all of the above none could be said the same of, he is one who waiting for will be rewarded mark me words
Hang on, I could be wrong but since he arrived I'd say Scholes and Hargreaves have almost been permanently injured and Carrick quite a bit too.

He'd have had very little time in the side had that not been the case I think although in the long run that will do him no harm

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Hang on, I could be wrong but since he arrived I'd say Scholes and Hargreaves have almost been permanently injured and Carrick quite a bit too.

He'd have had very little time in the side had that not been the case I think although in the long run that will do him no harm
Wrong, Hargreaves has always been injured but Carrick/Scholes have been a fixture in the side, he did get his break in central midfield due to injuries and he was superb

Alex

yeah and UNited won the double................................

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Some of this is rather amusing.

Fabregas isn't afraid to stick a leg in, win his own ball nor track back. All the things Anderson's being praised for in here, with the difference being Fabregas actually hurts teams going the other way - as that's what he's in the side for.

Some of you really have no clue.

Anyway, to clear this thread up once and for all - I see Anderson finally developing into a Vieira-esque type midfielder, one who can boss teams/players and go on surging runs.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
So you're focussing on the fight thing only?

Cause I've seen Fabregas pretty much carry his entire team on his back, on a number of occasions, something Ive never seen Anderson do.

But like I said, this is no shame on Anderson. He's a 20 year old rough diamond, who is still finding his feet in the Premier League. It's almost unfair to compare him with someone who is the best player in Arsenal's squad, by quite some margin.
This is why you're the best.

Proper logical opinions. The idea that Fabregas doesn't have heart nor bollocks is simply laughable, and just reflects how little people know/watch nor understand.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I reckon if we come back in four years Fabregas will be the second best player in the world, Ramsey will be a centre midfield monster and Anderson will be playing in a different position.
If that's what it takes for you to go away for four years I'm fine with that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ah well, all the best intentions and that but still a good read back lads, some interesting views there

It was never a slag off of Anderson although of course it ended up being as if it was :rolleyes:

He is a very good promising prospect and many Utd fans I think highlight what maybe is missing about him at the moment. The reality check of quite a few though gives balance to the fact that he has some way to go though

Reality is that he is no Keane and again I cannot see where this will happen and the thought that he could be another Scholes I cannot get at all.

It seems many myself included feel he is actually a bit of a mysterious figure in respect of 'position' - where should he play exactly ? and the feeling is that in the modern game players often 'crossover ' in position but for some that can be a weakness as they end up betwixt and between - maybe one of his biggest problems is that he himself does not exactly know where he should be and that often comes through from him.

I'd say the jury is still out on him to some extent

Comparisons with Fabregas are a bit meaningless. Fabs has much more experience and I think a better more clinical footballers brain and plays in a different position.
Its easy because of the players different physical build to fit them into a particular category and so maybe Fabregas' will to win is subjugated under Andersons bigger biceps but I'd never concede that Fabregas is not competitve has no bottle and does not completely run many games.

That is the oddness I find about Anderson - he seems almost to be a stop and starter - he looks like he runs a game and does for ten minutes then he's almost on canter mode for long spells. Big mental thing there, maybe his levels of concentration are poor. I dont know

If that aspect changes big time and no doubt Frerguson is drilling that into him then he will go on to fullfill everybody's highest predictions but if he does'nt he'll end up following some others out of it

(no doubt he'll score today!:D)
Hopefully

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
yeah and your bollocks are in fact bigger than mine :boring:

No matter what thread you're involved in you can keep on telling us that - its really great and such an illuminating point of discussion

....zzzzzz
all it really says is, 'yes, i conceed this point/arguement.'

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
yeah and your bollocks are in fact bigger than mine :boring:

No matter what thread you're involved in you can keep on telling us that - its really great and such an illuminating point of discussion

....zzzzzz
Come on. I'm sure you loved talking about it at every possible opportunity when you lot were European Champions. Oh wait..

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Anderson is one of those players that I struggle to talk about objectively. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a youngster (barring Wayne Rooney); he has literally everything to his game that you would expect to see in the complete midfielder.

Obviously, he doesn't always show us how good he is at football, yet when he gets it right, it's absolutely spectacular. Arsenal and Wigan are examples of this, where he literally just ran the show. Physically, a player like Anderson is almost unheard of amongst the Latin contingent. He is a phenominally fast player, and has previously outmuscled the likes of Drogba and Toure effortlessly. When you combine his physicality with his wonderful (if not slightly inconsistent!) vision, his skill in holding the ball and also that rare and exciting ability to beat men from centre midfield, you start to appreciate what a wonderful player he can be. The purpose of Owen Hargreaves is already being called into question, due to his defensive play.

Clearly, the consistency isn't yet evident, which isn't exactly abnormal for a 20 year old. It is only when this consistency is achieved that we will see Anderson combining his vast array of facets and attributes. He must also work on his positioning when our team has the ball, as it is absolutely infuriating at times to see him show no desire whatsoever to get hold of the ball. I'm sure that, when he improves his fitness, this will no longer be a problem.

If all goes to plan, we will soon see one hell of a player. What we must remember is that not everyone is like Messi, Fabregas and Rooney. These players are literally years ahead of themselves in terms of maturity and decision making, and are rarities in the grand scheme of things. Hope this helps, Jopub. :)

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
The reason why Fabregas is so highly regarded is because he is the ONLY quality central midfielder at Arsenal right now. He doesn't have competition anymore he is guaranteed a spot. That and the fact that he is an exceptional talent, and was given his chances very early on, after the likes of Vieira and Edu moved on. Anderson is still being developed, but honestly I believe he has more to his game than Fabregas and therefore more potential.

Another thing is the system that Arsenal play, allow for more fancy passing and movement which suits his style. Anderson on the other hand sometimes drifts out of games when the strikers drop too deep, when the wingers aren't performing, and generally our whole system is overrun and he has no one to pass to, therefore constantly giving the ball away. Anderson would step right into Arsenal's first team imo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
not going to comment on Anderson; nothing wrong with him other than stamina and consistency

BUT theres some rubbish written here about Fabregas; who IMHO is the best midfielder in the country, followed by Carrick

actually im really glad that Wenger didnt buy Carrick from West Ham when he was mooching around, because the two of them in tandem would be something to watch

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The reason why Fabregas is so highly regarded is because he is the ONLY quality central midfielder at Arsenal right now. He doesn't have competition anymore he is guaranteed a spot. That and the fact that he is an exceptional talent, and was given his chances very early on, after the likes of Vieira and Edu moved on. Anderson is still being developed, but honestly I believe he has more to his game than Fabregas and therefore more potential.

Another thing is the system that Arsenal play, allow for more fancy passing and movement which suits his style. Anderson on the other hand sometimes drifts out of games when the strikers drop too deep, when the wingers aren't performing, and generally our whole system is overrun and he has no one to pass to, therefore constantly giving the ball away. Anderson would step right into Arsenal's first team imo.
feck, I can't even imagine the damage Fabregas and Anderson would do alongside each other.....

Scholes and Keane all over again, if you ask me.

thoward

It's not a lisp!

Scholes did miss over 3 months through injury last season and has been out for nearly 7 weeks this season. Hargreaves was available for more than half the games last season. On occasions last season Anderson got in the side ahead of either Hargreaves or Carrick e.g. Liverpool home ahead of Hargreaves and Arsenal away and Liverpool away ahead of Carrick.

Obviously he has much to learn but when you consider that Scholes didn't get a regular place until he was nearly 23 (and that was after Keanes cruciate in 97-98), Carrick spent a season in the Championship at 22 etc and consider that Anderson has come from Brazil then he has not done badly. It hasn't helped that he had the Copa America just after he signed and then he had the distraction of the Olympics this year.

Ecroyd

Strangely aroused by Lizard King
his pass to berbatov for tevezs goal against liverpool gave me an erection

foolsgold

Should have done so much more. Really liked the guy.

Crazy to think he has 4 premier league winners medals (4 more than Stevie G)

He delivered when it mattered in Moscow, cool as you like slotting away his pen in the champions league final.

lex talionis

Ando definitely underachieved, but he can always point to his medal haul as a United man. Job done.

manunited1919

Injuries partly derailed his MUFC career. Not having the discipline to watch his weight did the rest of the derailment.

I always enjoyed watching him play, and I do think that he was the real deal. If only.

SambaBoy

Such a talented midfielder and excellent to watch but didn't quite make it at the top level due to a number of reasons.

His playing style instantly changed when he arrived in the PL. For Porto and in Brazil, he was solely a number 10 who would dance past defenders and do damage in the final third. Fergie wanted him to become a #8 or even a #6 and he had some great games in that role especially in the big games. He was too inconsistent though and struggled when United had loads of the ball as he was quite sloppy and tried to force the issue too often.

Injuries of course played their part, he never completed a full season really. And his lifestyle was supposed to be quite unprofessional, reporting back to pre season overweight and enjoying the Manchester nightlife too often.

Also I don't think he ever had enough drive to be the best he could be. He never really attempted to learn English and he just seemed content to be at the club towards the end.