Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Well personally I'm not in the boat that he's looked like a great player at times when fit, I don't think he's ever looked particularly great, he's certainly put in a few very good performances here and there but never really any that made me sit back and go "shit, that lads going to be one of the best midfielders around if he stays fit".

I think that's my problem, for all the hype, I've never seen enough from him to suggest he'd become this superstar player we all thought we signed. Messi for (an extreme) example, got a lot of injuries when he was younger, but when he was fit you could tell he was going to be unbelievable, likewise Van Persie. Have we ever really seen enough from Anderson to think he was going to become a great player? I haven't.

Adebesi

He has never looked like Messi or Van Persie, no. Not sure what that proves though. Different players react to these setbacks differently, it is a psychological issue. But there have been occasions when I did indeed sit up and say "shit, that lads going to be one of the best midfielders around if he stays fit". Sometimes literally, word for word, and on other occasions variations with the same general meaning. I think once it was, "shit, he is going to be some player!" for example.

Superstar? Again, we could get into a semantic discussion with that, like "world class". Put it this way when he plays well he looks like our best midfielder besides Carrick. But that doesnt happen often enough.

Cina

Well I'm mentioning them because that's the sort of bracket he was being labelled in when younger. many regarded him as the brightest prospect in world football, he was that highly rated. I'm mainly using them as two players who used to be injury prone, but still looked fantastic when fit. I just haven't seen that from Anderson, not nearly enough anyway, which is why I don't think it's only the injuries. I think mentality, fitness levels, inconsistency, and maybe just being completely overrated play a part. I just think that his defenders on here always refer to injuries because it's the safe option and a very good excuse for his shortcomings, when in reality there's a lot more to it.

I also think the club are partly at fault, because they tried to change him too much as a player, he's never looked like an out and out central midfielder to me. He's too poor positionally and his passing is always too risky.

Ekeke

I think its just too easy to say its the change in position. Its been changed for a reason, had we not intended to change his position we might not even have rated him highly enough to sign him. Just because he lacks something in central midfield doesnt mean he'd have been brilliant as an attacking midfielder. He actually lacks more for that position than he does as a normal central midfielder which is a sensible conclusion for why we didnt play him there.

What are Anderson's strengths? Balance. Speed. Running the ball into space. Long balls, sometimes. This is all stuff that Anderson can use easily in deeper areas, but not 20 yards from the opponents goal. He's not that type of player who has the close control and dribbling to beat players there or the subtlety to play players through consistantly with short passing. His movement off the ball isnt intelligent and he doesnt have a goal threat. He is a central midfielder, just not an outstanding one.

Sam

He's definately a lot bigger now then he was when he first arrived here, that is without question. Whether its muscle bulk or fat is another question altogether. I'm tempted to say he might just have bulked up too much. But imo, whatever it is, its made him a worse player, and I wouldnt be surprised if the added weight has/still does play a part in his injury problems.

The anderson circa 2007 was leaner, faster, and far more mobile. Still had stamina issues then mind.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
He's definately a lot bigger now then he was when he first arrived here, that is without question. Whether its muscle bulk or fat is another question altogether. I'm tempted to say he might just have bulked up too much. But imo, whatever it is, its made him a worse player, and I wouldnt be surprised if the added weight has/still does play a part in his injury problems.

The anderson circa 2007 was leaner, faster, and far more mobile. Still had stamina issues then mind.
But wasn't he about 18 then? Suffice to say he was still growing.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Just so people stop talking about his passing being risky, he has a passing success rate of 88.1% and has completed 46/56 long passes.

Decotron

Just so people stop talking about his passing being risky, he has a passing success rate of 88.1% and has completed 46/56 long passes.
Without appearing to be rude Jake stats like that are absolute bollox as a means to defending Anderson's shortcomings.

A tad harsh maybe but lets be honest anyone who's attended a few games over the last 5/6 seasons will tell you that. He hasnt been the played we want him to be and Im near certain he never will.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
It's just insane that a player of his age can't complete a football match because of lack of stamina.

I'm curious about the plans within the training crew on what they want to improve. There are examples like Ronaldo and Bale who proved that working out makes a lot of difference if you have the talent.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He needs to pull out an amazing run of form or his ship has left the port!

Lawman

Yeah I think this is the most important thing to concentrate on, anyone who has watched him closely this season must surely see the improvement. Yeah of course he will still have a crap or average game or 2 every now and then, as do even Rooney and RVP, but overall I think it's been obvious this season that Anderson is becoming a very very good all-round midfielder.
Anderson tracks his runners just fine these days.
For me Carrick is the best number 6 type player in the any of the top 4 teams in this country. Its the number 8 position that we are struggling with Anderson and/or Cleverley need a run of games not sub appearances or rotation. Personally I think Anderson's ship has sailed though I would love to be proved wrong as I can't help but like the fella.
How can anyone say such a thing just 24 hours after that performance?

Bizarre.
I'm constructing my opinion on what I have seen the last 5 years, why after seeing him come on as a sub and play well would that be so bizarre?
And we've seen Valencia serve up shite for most of the season, has his ship sailed too?

Welbeck has has a couple of crap games too, ship sailed?

Seriously, if you can't see what Anderson has to offer after that cameo just 24 hours ago, you've gotta give yourself a slap in the face.
Because young players improve and it's obvious for anyone with eyes that Anderson has improved a lot and adds an excellent dimension to our team. Just 24 hours ago you saw him come on and turn a game in our favour with a great performance, and you instantly say, "I think his ship has sailed"... that's just strange to me. It's like closing your eyes and putting your hands over your eyes saying "I've made my mind up, I don't wanna hear, I don't wanna see".
Welbeck is just 2 years younger than Ando.

It's fine, if you wanna have you mind "make up about a player" then that's cool with me, but I've seen more than enough over the 5 years to show me that without injury, Anderson would already be a superstar. Had he not shown me that though, I'd still appreciate his performance yesterday and think, feck me this lad is good. I certainly wouldn't claim any player's ship has sailed after a performance like that.

Oh and Anderson has not "failed to deliver consistently since he joined" for any other reason than injury, the poor fecker. In pretty much every spell uninjured he has shown huge amounts of his vast potential. Some bad games along the way just as we've had from the likes of Welbeck too and many other youngsters.
Come on Lawman, you know that doesn't make sense. You're basing your opinion on 5 injury ravaged years rather than concentrating on some of the excellent performances he has put in this year and last when fit.
Or being unfit and out of condition when required. When on song Anderson is brilliant but we have hardly heard that tune since he's been here wake up and open your eyes. There is a glimmer of hope with him but nothing more, I hope he grabs it but stop making excuses for him and being blind in your assessment.
As I said stop making excuses for him he has had 5 years to nail a starting spot and what is the longest run of games he's managed to do? How many games in a row has he played well? We have seen little cameos nothing more. Get real we are all desperate due to a couple of aging players in this position but i'd wager you we are more likely to buy a player in and he will cement this position than Anderson stepping up. As much as I'd love that to happen the evidence is not in his favour.
Forget about that, it's all about those first years at the club (actually, lets just forget how good he was in his first season, just for the sake of argument). Oh, and forgot about the huge knee injuries etc too.

A player can never suddenly stay injury free and begin to mature. Zidane was the best player in the World at 21 don't forget. And that Henry lad, rubbish he was for a long while.
Agreed. Ship has sailed.
I'm always right is telling YOU how it is, you should listen.
In those 5 years he had an excellent first season, ruptured a cruciate ligament, been in a severe car accident and then, after an excellent start to last season, suffered injuries that made him miss another 5 months of football. So unlike other footballers, Anderson really has had difficult circumstances to "come good".

Oh and plenty of players come good at around Ando's age (24), hardly the "minority".

It's like you have erased the injuries and are blaming solely the player and his performances for not nailing down a starting place, and that is the issue I have with you. I think he certainly would've nailed a starting spot last year, until he got injured again. Yes, he's had a few bum performances along the way, I'm not denying that, but so do all young players, but he's also had some brilliant performances in that time too. And in the past 2 seasons, I think he more often than not, has been excellent when used.
Well actually, I thought (along with many others on here) that he was way above average this season before his injury in December. More of a goal threat, better choice of passing, creating too finally. I believe SAF was easing him into the season too because of his injury record, all was going very well. But... as I also said back in December (which is why Lawman is chatting rubbish again), he needed to come back from that injury:

a) quickly
b) straight back into form

I said then that if he didn't do that I may well have to give in to the idea that injuries may well stop him ever reaching the heights I think he can, too often it's the same story unfortunately, he gets into great form and then injury strikes and that derails his season. It's a real shame.
Yep it's obviously me who is talking rubbish :houllier:

Dante

Average bang
I cannot remember seeing him play well in a difficult game.

He's brilliant when the opposition midfield is stretched and miles away from the defence, but he's almost always crap against compact sides. He obviously enjoys having space to attack and time to pick his pass but shrinks when they aren't available.

I keep wishing he'll prove me wrong one day, but he still hasn't. I think he'd do well in La Liga, but I don't see him as a United player, unfortunately.

Verminator

Reading through that, I can only see IAR maintaining his stance.
It seems as though you both see the qualities the player has, but IAR has Ando's lack of impact down to his bad luck with injuries. Lawman seems to think the player is at fault, for his lack of application.
I'm stuck between these views, as I agree with IAR, but would expect more of a response from the player, to make up for lost time.
If the manager wants to put in a dependable performer, in place of Ando, I wouldn't be against it. If we'd had a wealth of options then he would definitely be worth persevering with, but with Scholes probably retiring, Giggs playing limited games, Fletch's health problems, and Cleverley looking for consistency, can we afford to wait?

Lawman

Verminator my stance was and still is that I couldnt see him ever being a first team regular and there were more chance of us buying someone in than Ando being that man (Demble would have been a better option). I believe he is no more than a squad player now and very disappointed as I had such high hopes for him. But a combination of injuries form and fitness/attitude have stopped him becoming a regular. IAR slaughtered me for saying earlier on in the season that I thought his ship had sailed. I like Ando but he's been underwhelming in his time here.

buckooo1978

I think his time is up

I also think the manager has been patient with Ando and given him plenty of opportunity to stake a claim to be a first team player

If he applied himself the way Cleverley has he may have found he would be more important to us

As for him bring unable to play 90 mins I find this totally unacceptable - time for us to bring in a player who can make a much bigger contribution - the boy has undoubted ability but unless he dedicates himself to be the best player he can be I can't see him playing for Brazil again

Who knows the reasons why he hasn't fulfilled his potential at United - i think if Fergie can't get the best out of you then there are clearly issues with the player

lysglimt

Scout
So you mean if he makes 9 passes which are good - and the 10th is misplaced giving our opponents a good chance - ´he is not a risky passer ?

I don't trust Anderson - the only time I want him on the pitch is when we badly need a goal and the opponents are madly trying to hang on to a result rather than trying to score against us.

He is one of very few players I won't be sad to see go.

buckooo1978

I've noticed this season - and Anderson was very good at times in the first few months when he was fit - that the consensus on here is that Anderson is very replaceable

Its actually frightening how reliant we are on Carrick - with Scholes/Fletcher/Giggs each having different issues I think we need 2 midfielders to come in

buckooo1978

How has Petrucci done on loan

I think he and Powell could be used from the bench but I'm not sure they are ready to be starting games regularly

Pogba would have played 25 games for us this season had he stayed I reckon

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I used to be a keen defender of Anderson, but I just can't be bothered anymore. It's just a cycle with him - poor form, injured, poor form > good form, injured, poor form. Repeat.

On his day, he's a very effective player. Sadly those days don't come often enough.

With him, Scholes and potentially Fletcher out - we obviously need to buy a midfielder. I don't personally believe we need two since Scholes and Fletcher haven't really been used much recently and we seem fine from it. Give Powell/Petrucci more chances if they do well in the preseason and sign a center midfielder who can replicate Anderson in terms of being able to "attack the space".

Cina

That article is by the daily mail, who are using goal as their source. Yeah...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well we know he's tried to leave in the past so it wouldn't come as any surprise.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If you read the article it's got nothing of substance. A source... Goal.com... "...a fee of between £17m and £22m, but it is unlikely that any of the interested clubs could match that price"...

Easy target, of course some will jump on this tho...

Will Absolute

That article sounds like bs to me.

£17m - £22m? I don't believe United expect that kind of money for a player who's contributed so little in 6 years. £10m - £15m would be more reasonable.

If we can't get our price, a loan to Porto would be the ideal scenario? :eek: So that his contract can run down and we end up losing him for nothing? Only as part of a favourable deal for Rodriguez, I'd imagine.

He's fallen short of expectations, but shown enough at OT to encourage someone to take a chance on him. With regular appearances, and a midfield built around his talents, he might even be a big success. The nightmare scenario. :nervous:

Revan

Assumptionman
Another article without quotes from someone who has a name, published by Daily Mail, with sources from goal.com . Definitely sounds legit.

surf

Welbeck and Cleverley are clearly improving aspects of their game all the time, like a young and emerging Manchester United player should. Anderson doesn't seem much better than he was 5 years ago, and the reasons are more than just being held back by injuries. If there was some season by season upward trajectory to his performances then we might have more reason to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.