André Onana | Officially a Red! | #24

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Great signing, one of the most talented keepers around. Everyone knows about his footballing attributes, but people are going to be surprised how good a keeper he actually is.

red.knight

Delighted. Huge missing piece, he is going to revolutionize this united side how we play from the back. We've finally got a top class modern keeper. This is a transformative signing without a doubt. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but this is definitely my favourite signing from United since RVP.

Zydar

Granted I haven't seen him play with his previous teams, but I'm so hyped about this signing after reading the caf. More than the signing of Mount. Now we just need to secure a great striker. Can't wait to get the new season started.

OldTrevil

Awesome signing. Finally we have a keeper who will allow us to play on the front foot.

Big Andy

Bloke
Don't want to judge a book by its cover but he looks a little crazy, like one of those eccentric keepers.
I hope we haven't signed Barthez the 2nd.
Barthez the 1st would be the best keeper in the world these days.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Anyone know what languages he speaks? Current back line and midfield are good with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
I’m sure the football basics are easy to learn but if you want to really give it to a team-mate a bit more vocabulary is helpful.
I think French is his main language but English is also an official language in Cameroon as far as I know.
He also spent 4,5 years in Barcelona so you can probably add Spanish to that.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
His 'why will i be afraid of anyone' interview before the CL final just tells me that wrestlemania will be back in full effect at Old Trafford once again!

Your offence is terrified, André Onana :drool: . Sure there will probably be a blunder or two and some heart attacks but I cannot wait to see him play for United.

We've got Onana, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony and Bruno now all ready and waiting to throw down!

Betson

Hopefully he settles quickly , the one position where you have to the ground running is keeper , he suits ETH's style much better than DeGea but we will miss DeGea shot stopping in certain games where he has won us pts, I know some are claiming this lad is as good a shot stopper but the reality is that he is not. But his all round game should be a net positive to the team as ETH can rally start to stamp his own style on the team now.

Real Name

You two need to get a sense of humour and learn how to spot the humourous tone in a post.

The 24 and Kiefer Sutherland references were obviously too subtle for you.
Ups, sorry, I should get my 2nd coffee today it seems.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Welcome, Onana!!

Really thought we were going to continue with Dave for the coming season so happy with this.

quadrant

Hopefully he settles quickly , the one position where you have to the ground running is keeper , he suits ETH's style much better than DeGea but we will miss DeGea shot stopping in certain games where he has won us pts, I know some are claiming this lad is as good a shot stopper but the reality is that he is not. But his all round game should be a net positive to the team as ETH can rally start to stamp his own style on the team now.
One of the challenges that Onana (or indeed any keeper coming in) will have is this belief that DDG was still a good shot stopper, when in fact he hadn't been anywhere near his peak since 2018. But every goal that goes in, it'll be "ooh, De Gea would have saved that".

astracrazy

De Gea's best quality was his shot stopping though, so it's not a surprise he isn't as good.

It's swings and roundabout's. How much possesion was lost leading to a stop required from De Gea that was a result of De Geas poor distribution? I'd imagine a fair few.

GMoore23

First season, he was brilliant & was in the PFA Team of the Year. Dropped off pretty hard after that though.
Considering the fee we paid, he was a total flop. After a great first season, he was too inconsistent and his crazy ways made him a liability.
I think goalkeeping was too boring for him.

Betson

One of the challenges that Onana (or indeed any keeper coming in) will have is this belief that DDG was still a good shot stopper, when in fact he hadn't been anywhere near his peak since 2018. But every goal that goes in, it'll be "ooh, De Gea would have saved that".
There is certainly going to be a lot of that in the first season at least. While DeGea's consistently in shot stopping decreased there is not doubt that at his peak he was one of if not the best around at shot stopping. At various times last season he still showed that,

My point is that people should not expect Onana to hit those heights when it comes to shot stopping , very few keepers did.

But Onana's all round game should yield us more pts over a season , that is the hope anyway.

sugar_kane

It's nailed on that pundits and fans will take a shallow read of his performances and impact on the team, either deliberately because they're ABU cnuts or because they're thick.

"De Gea would have saved that" will become the catchphrase of the season, while completely ignoring any positives Onana's overall play brings to the team. Just like people would say that Ronaldo scored however many goals in 21/22 and we'd be mid table without them, completely overlooking the detriment his lack of work rate and attitude had on our overall performances.

Our job, to paraphrase the great one, is to support our new keeper.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
He also spent 4,5 years in Barcelona so you can probably add Spanish to that.
Fluent in French and Spanish. English is good with a typical African accent and he also speaks some Dutch, he certainly understands it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think now we should at least be able to make a decent title challenge like Arsenal last season. A few moments break our way and who knows, we might actually stay in the race till matchday 35 or more.
We’ll need a quality striker for that. Concerned that this Hojlund might be all we get.

decorativeed

They could have used up to 16 seconds for free under the fair usage law but I guess they opted against it?
I'm really sure that doesn't apply to a commercial organisation using it to promote their business, which is what this is. Fair usage applies to review of the material and limited educational things.