André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

Should have known we'd get an influx of Caf criticism of Onana after the Pythagoras in Boots video dropped. The shills here didn't even care until they learned that Pythagoras was one of RedCafe's own. Now you can't go a single thread without a link drop. :lol:

Seriously, though. Tifo ran a great video on him and we're highly complimentary of his upsides, not to mention that Ten Hag knows precisely how Onana will fit into his philosophy.

Superunknown

Should have known we'd get an influx of Caf criticism of Onana after the Pythagoras in Boots video dropped. The shills here didn't even care until they learned that Pythagoras was one of RedCafe's own. Now you can't go a single thread without a link drop. :lol:

Seriously, though. Tifo ran a great video on him and we're highly complimentary of his upsides, not to mention that Ten Hag knows precisely how Onana will fit into his philosophy.
This is the way.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

That comes with the territory of playing for Utd and he will need to be mentally ready for it. Expect every pundit, rent-a-gob and many fans to be comparing him to DDG everytime he concedes a goal or kicks the ball out for a throw in. Its important as fans to give our new keeper our full support (whoever it turns out to be)

Marcelinho87

That comes with the territory of playing for Utd and he will need to be mentally ready for it. Expect every pundit, rent-a-gob and many fans to be comparing him to DDG everytime he concedes a goal or kicks the ball out for a throw in. Its important as fans to give our new keeper our full support (whoever it turns out to be)
A lot of the criticism he will get will also be thinly veiled racism, much like Souness towards Pogba.

I have no doubt he will be mentally strong enough though.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
As an Ajax fan who really dislikes him for the way he left Ajax.. Onana is an absolute world class monster of a goalkeeper..

A bit excentric yes..
Will he make a blooper once or twice a year.. More likely than not..

But will he win significantly more points for you than he will cost.. 100%
And will he significantly improve our build up play because of his confidence and ballplaying skills.. 100%
And will he allow us to press higher because of his confidence and ability to defend further from his line.. 100%

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
As an Ajax fan who really dislikes him for the way he left Ajax.. Onana is an absolute world class monster of a goalkeeper..

A bit excentric yes..

And will he significantly improve our build up play because of his confidence and ballplaying skills.. 100%
And will he allow us to press higher because of his confidence and ability to defend further from his line.. 100%
I like you.

Real Name

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

I just can't get you out of my head
Boy, your sweepin’ is all I think about
I just can't get you out of my head
Boy, its more than I dare to think about

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

(to the tune of can’ get you out of my head by Kylie)
Kylie. <3

Lyng

Its funny because what that video told me was pretty much that he would be the perfect fit for how we want to play. I really hope he comes here and I am sure he will be a great addition.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
A lot of the criticism he will get will also be thinly veiled racism, much like Souness towards Pogba.

I have no doubt he will be mentally strong enough though.
Yes that also may add some extra pressure, i'd not thought of that side of things. Although I can't stand old Sourness, i think over his career racism is not a criticism he deserves. I think his very much over the top issues with Pogba were more of a generational midfielder thing where all the haircuts and dancing wound him up.

Lyng

Btw this is the player they should have made a Freed from Desire chant for....

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

A bit excentric yes..

This is pretty much it. I dislike Onana the person for that shit at Ajax, but as a goalkeeper he's great.

Orange Tree

Not thoroughly convinced by Onana. I'd have prefered Sommer and a young modern GK to compete and eventually succeed Sommer.
Pretty much what Inter is trying to do for half the price.

But, if Onana helps us implementing what ETH tries to do. Then he will be a good get.

Nickelodeon

A bit excentric yes..

That's more like it my man

Syphon Wallet

This is pretty much it. I dislike Onana the person for that shit at Ajax, but as a goalkeeper he's great.
I only vaguely know what happened at Ajax, without me googling it, what's the story on what happened from an Ajax supporters perspective?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In terms of shotstopping across multiple seasons, as per Fbref.

Allison (5 PL seasons): +17.4
Nick Pope (5 PL seasons): +8.2
Ederson (6 PL seasons): -0.7
Post-peak De Gea (5 PL seasons): -3.0
Kepa (5 PL seasons) -7.5
Ramdale (4 PL seasons) -8.8

Onana (1 Serie A, 4 Eredivise seasons): +6.4

The points I would take from this are:

1) Allison has easily been the best of these goalkeepers across the last several seasons.

2) Allison aside, the average level of shotstopping ability for goalkeepers currently in the other top PL sides has been nothing to write home about over the last few years.

2) Onana's stats suggest that even if we anticpate a drop off given the higher standard of the PL, he's going to be a shotstopper well within that range of most of the top PL teams.

In terms of the eye test De Gea probably looks/looked the best shotstopper of all of these, as he is the most gifted in that regard. But mistakes drag down your aggregate stats, even if you look great making the saves you do make.

Telsim

This transfer reminds me of that story about Achilles and the turtle...

Gupz

What shit did he do at Ajax? I'm just curious.
Accidently took medicine that is on the dope list, got long term suspension from playing and training. However Ajax was still being fully supportive. Returned from suspension in his last year contract and refused to extend which Ajax saw as an ungrateful act.

Strelok

Whatever it was it cant be that bad or Ten Hag wouldn't be buying him now, considering he was his manager at Ajax.
Don't worry I'm just curious. And imo it can be that bad and ETH still buy him if he thinks Onana can help the cause. Imo ETH seems to be all about football. He wants to keep MG you know.

Accidently took medicine that is on the dope list, got long term suspension from playing and training. However Ajax was still being fully supportive. Returned from suspension in his last year contract and refused to extend which Ajax saw as an ungrateful act.
I see thanks for the info mate.

Ted Lasso

In terms of shotstopping across multiple seasons, as per Fbref.

Allison (5 PL seasons): +17.4
Nick Pope (5 PL seasons): +8.2
Ederson (6 PL seasons): -0.7
Post-peak De Gea (5 PL seasons): -3.0
Kepa (5 PL seasons) -7.5
Ramdale (4 PL seasons) -8.8

Onana (1 Serie A, 4 Eredivise seasons): +6.4

The points I would take from this are:

1) Allison has easily been the best of these goalkeepers across the last several seasons.

2) Allison aside, the average level of shotstopping ability for goalkeepers currently in the other top PL sides has been nothing to write home about over the last few years.

2) Onana's stats suggest that even if we anticpate a drop off given the higher standard of the PL, he's going to be a shotstopper well within that range of most of the top PL teams.

In terms of the eye test De Gea probably looks/looked the best shotstopper of all of these, as he is the most gifted in that regard. But mistakes drag down your aggregate stats, even if you look great making the saves you do make.
Do you mind explaining the stat, please? How is the number calculated. Genuinely didn't know if positive was good or bad

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I see thanks for the info mate.
Ajax supported him through his drug ban, then he rewarded them by leaving on a free. Did I get it right?
He also performed very poorly in the short period he was still at Ajax after the ban expired and before his move to Inter - possibly due to a lack of motivation/caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.