André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOrange

People will soon realise De Gea has been holding us back for 10 years with his lack of authority in the box as much as anything. It’ll be eye opening for many.
Nah, the goalkeeper discussion is going to be completely unbearable here for a while. Onana will be blamed for everything that goes wrong by De Gea fanboys. Every goal against will be entirely Onana's fault, if the team fails to score they'll blame Onana because "people blamed De Gea for the same thing", Onana is causing climate change, etc.

It's nothing to do with Onana either. If this transfer falls through they'll be railing against whoever the replacement is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah, the goalkeeper discussion is going to be completely unbearable here for a while. Onana will be blamed for everything that goes wrong by De Gea fanboys. Every goal against will be entirely Onana's fault, if the team fails to score they'll blame Onana because "people blamed De Gea for the same thing", Onana is causing climate change, etc.

It's nothing to do with Onana either. If this transfer falls through they'll be railing against whoever the replacement is.
To be honest it'll be intolerable from both perspectives. Like it will be nice to have a goalkeeper who can claim crosses and pass a ball, but it'll be relentlessly repeated.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who do you want realistically
Realistically I want the people at the helm to be proactive on this front and unearth players for the long-term. I would have favoured Evan Ferguson over Kane myself, but that's even more unlikely than Kane now he's signed a new deal. It's hard to say if reports are close to accurate but the money involved to get in a young striker who has a lot of development yet to go through seems to be quite excessive. Maybe those reports are off. If Atalanta do want MG on loan (and he himself to go there) that would surely sweeten the deal quite a lot. People talk as if his time out of football means he's no longer a top player, which he surely is.

Smores

My understanding is that Onana struggled a bit at the start of the season, which is to be expected seeing as he'd barely played for 18 months. But he then kept improving as the season wore on, so hopefully most of those shots he should have saved happened during that early period before he was up to speed.
Another area where fans will need to be forgiving as he could take time to adjust to the league. It's always tough with a goalkeeper as whilst all new signings are under scrutiny no other position gets as much heat from a mistake as a goalie.

Teja

There's always going to be doubts when it comes to a new signing. But if Onana can save the shots, claim the crosses and prevent the shots to a good standard, then his ability on the ball will make the difference.
I think my bigger concern given the profile of the club is that the errors get magnified and the things he did right (like subtly improving the build up play) will be ignored. This place is going to be calling for his head the moment he attempts a dribble, gives the ball away and concedes a goal. Ignoring the 1000 other times this exact action resulted in a counter attack / ball progressing up the field.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Basically they compare goalkeeper performances against a model that looks at how likely an average goalkeeper is to save each individual shot.

So those stats are telling you that over the last five seasons Allison has stopped a total of 17 goals more than you'd expect an average goalkeeper to stop. While on the other end of the scale Ramsdale has let in about 9 more goals than you'd expect from an average goalkeeper over the last four seasons.
So, it’s a bit like their achievement against their “expected saves”. What is Raya looking like on that, out of interest, because I’d think he would be pretty good on this, and another one we’ve been linked with.

Also, interesting that Ramsdale rates so poorly because the pundits would have you believe he’s a master shot-stopper whereas, in reality, I’ve always felt he’s just mastered the “Hollywood save” that looks good for the cameras.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So, it’s a bit like their achievement against their “expected saves”. What is Raya looking like on that, out of interest, because I’d think he would be pretty good on this, and another one we’ve been linked with.

Also, interesting that Ramsdale rates so poorly because the pundits would have you believe he’s a master shot-stopper whereas, in reality, I’ve always felt he’s just mastered the “Hollywood save” that looks good for the cameras.
Raya is +4.2 over his two seasons so far in the PL. Over the last five years (so taking into account his seasons in the Championship) he's pretty much dead on the average point at -0.2.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Permanent contact can be permanent for many years. :D

Nero

It's always 'hours' with these Italian journalists, which could mean 2hrs or 1000hrs.

That's why they do it, so they can't be held accountable for their bullshit.

ShinjiNinja26

Everything involving this club is such a drawn out arduous process. I don’t know why I expect things to be any different each summer, especially when these clowns are still running the show.

goalscholes

Well the way Romano and co made it seem last night it was basically only an announcement that was left to do today but that’s clearly not the case. I’m hoping we’ll see an agreement reached by tonight.
The tap in merchant has missed from a yard out

L1nk

Everything involving this club is such a drawn out arduous process. I don’t know why I expect things to be any different each summer, especially when these clowns are still running the show.
Is it the club though or is it the incessant reporting of every micromovement this club makes because these reporters know they get the most engagement when they do it?

Generally there are times i'd agree with you, but if the club doesn't negotiate and just pays what they want then people complain, if they try and negotiate and get the price down then it takes to long and people complain, they can't really win.

ShinjiNinja26

Is it the club though or is it the incessant reporting of every micromovement this club makes because these reporters know they get the most engagement when they do it?

Generally there are times i'd agree with you, but if the club doesn't negotiate and just pays what they want then people complain, if they try and negotiate and get the price down then it takes to long and people complain, they can't really win.
I definitely agree with you here, Utd related news gets the clicks and as a fan you actively seek out any news related to your club. It’s the main reason why everyone thinks other clubs get their business done in a swift and efficient manner but that’s just because they’re not following the news of that transfer on a daily basis so only see the announcement at the end. I definitely think Utd are slower than most though and that’s not just when it comes to transfers, we all know the Glazers are notorious ditherers and take an absolute age to mull over decisions as is blatantly evident in this whole club sale process.

Zed is not dead

You mean like Arsenal who only just officialized Timber, a month after the first tweets? Or Declan Rice which isn’t even finalised yet? Or Bayern who took 3 weeks to get a player with a release clause ? Or Liverpool who is supposedly monitoring Lavia since June ?
Or Barca who is supposed to be getting Bernardo Silva for the last two years ? Or Openda to Leipzig who also took 3-4 weeks ? Or Gvardiol to City that is still nowhere close to be done?

No club is blitzing their way through the transfer market. United have their issues, but let’s not pretend other clubs have smooth transfer windows.
In the case of Onana, it looks very well like the structure of payments is the pain point. And Italian clubs are quite know for their creative deal structures, so it’s not a surprise that it takes time.

Reactions: Penna

georgipep

You mean like Arsenal who only just officialized Timber, a month after the first tweets? Or Declan Rice which isn’t even finalised yet? Or Bayern who took 3 weeks to get a player with a release clause ? Or Liverpool who is supposedly monitoring Lavia since June ?
Or Barca who is supposed to be getting Bernardo Silva for the last two years ? Or Openda to Leipzig who also took 3-4 weeks ? Or Gvardiol to City that is still nowhere close to be done?

No club is blitzing their way through the transfer market. United have their issues, but let’s not pretend other clubs have smooth transfer windows.
In the case of Onana, it looks very well like the structure of payments is the pain point. And Italian clubs are quite know for their creative deal structures, so it’s not a surprise that it takes time.
Promote this poster!

ShinjiNinja26

I’m well aware other clubs aren’t blitzing through the market and will refer you to a reply I made to another poster literally just after I made that comment…

I definitely agree with you here, Utd related news gets the clicks and as a fan you actively seek out any news related to your club. It’s the main reason why everyone thinks other clubs get their business done in a swift and efficient manner but that’s just because they’re not following the news of that transfer on a daily basis so only see the announcement at the end. I definitely think Utd are slower than most though and that’s not just when it comes to transfers, we all know the Glazers are notorious ditherers and take an absolute age to mull over decisions as is blatantly evident in this whole club sale process.

Zed is not dead

I’m well aware other clubs aren’t blitzing through the market and will refer you to a reply I made to another poster literally just after I made that comment…
Haha apologies mate, didn’t mean to come across as disrespectful, it’s just that I’ve read so many posts blaming the club for everything and it’s opposite…

I also fully agree with you and L1nk. I might even add that in addition to United being more reported on than other clubs, we also have our own United-centric bias because we tend follow very closely any United news.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
So much for getting done tonight. It’s always preparing the final details.

Status
Not open for further replies.