André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Teams did play out from the back. Not sure where you got that from. Most keepers did kick from their hands a lot but many teams passed out from the back.

Keepers used to roll the ball out to the full backs, it got passed around a bit, sometimes it ended up back at the keeper and he’d pick it up. Sometimes he’d launch it upfield from his hands but often he’d pretend to do that but, instead, roll it out to the full back and they’d try again.

You may be thinking of the period after the pass back rule came in. When keepers weren’t allowed to pick it up, it was a deterrent to playing out from the back until teams learned how to play under the new rules.
I too have watched a good few of those games (Ajax and Holland), including Jongbloed. I think alot depend on the phrasing of the question: The training in general and of goal keepersin prticular have changed such that if you sent David de Gea in a tima machine back to 1972 or 1974, given his instructions, Michels would have prefered him to Heinz Stuy and Jan Jongbloed.

if however, Michels got the time travel, he would undoubtedly let De Gea go for Onana in a blink.

WPMUFC

We had said André Onana-Manchester United by Friday, based on ten Hag's request to release the goalkeeper by this weekend. A clear strategy to get the goalkeeper of his dreams as soon as possible, in the middle of preparation and on the eve of important friendlies. We can say that, within a day full of contacts with a highly involved intermediary, we are really close to the white smoke. We confirm: Inter could collect even less than 55 million with a base of 48-50 plus bonuses. The Nerazzurri have tried and will try until the last to raise the bar, but by now they have given the go-ahead. The delays are also bureaucratic: commissions, incentives, bonuses to be settled, any and all. A busy Friday, no doubt about it. Soon Onana will empty the lockers and prepare for his new adventure, destination Red Devils.
https://www.alfredopedulla.com/onana-manchester-united-venerdi-proficuo-e-fumata-bianca-in-arrivo/

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Look no further than the Rice deal if you think we act slowly. Most transfers take a while.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It would be pretty easy to look up the dates different clubs' transfers officially went through in recent years, get an average transfer date for each club and then we'd know for sure how much slower we tend to be at getting deals done.

I ain't gonna do it because it's a massive waste of time, but if anyone cares enough to do it let me know what result you get.

In terms of shotstopping across multiple seasons, as per Fbref.

Allison (5 PL seasons): +17.4
Nick Pope (5 PL seasons): +8.2
Ederson (6 PL seasons): -0.7
Post-peak De Gea (5 PL seasons): -3.0
Kepa (5 PL seasons) -7.5
Ramdale (4 PL seasons) -8.8

Onana (1 Serie A, 4 Eredivise seasons): +6.4

The points I would take from this are:

1) Allison has easily been the best of these goalkeepers across the last several seasons.

2) Allison aside, the average level of shotstopping ability for goalkeepers currently in the other top PL sides has been nothing to write home about over the last few years.

2) Onana's stats suggest that even if we anticpate a drop off given the higher standard of the PL, he's going to be a shotstopper well within that range of most of the top PL teams.

In terms of the eye test De Gea probably looks/looked the best shotstopper of all of these, as he is the most gifted in that regard. But mistakes drag down your aggregate stats, even if you look great making the saves you do make.
Brilliant post. The improvement Onana will have on De Gea is gonna be mind blowing.

Bondi77

JUST IN!!!!
Our interest in Onana is concrete but we are yet to agree personal terms or have a bid accepted by Inter....more garbage is imminent :lol: :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough. Maybe my memory is failing me or probably more likely that these tactics weren't really used by British teams.
The tactics in question weren't really being used/utilised by British teams from what I've read. But it was actually a English coach who started it all at Ajax by the name of Jack Reynolds. And it was through Reynolds that Michels tweaked the ideas and brought them to the world stage.

And just going back to the evolution of the GK as the +1 in possession. Cruyff took it further and the extract from the article linked below provides some insight into the mindset of Cruyff and what he expected of his GK. And this idea is the norm now.

"For Cruyff, a team did not consist of ten players and a goalkeeper, but eleven players, one of whom happened to occasionally use his hands. This number 1 was part of the whole, instead of an isolated loner.

"Total football has everything to do with the distances on the field and between the lines. When you play football like that, even the goalkeeper counts as one line’, he explained in his book Cruyff Voetbal. ‘Since the goalkeeper is no longer allowed to pick up a replay ball, he must also be able to play football. Someone who is ready to participate when the defender has the ball."

"This goalkeeper without hands was not criticized, but showered with praise. The ultimate confirmation that forty years after Jan Jongbloed and twenty years after Carles Busquets, the vision of the role of a goalkeeper has completely changed. Thanks to the pioneer Johan Cruyff."

https://barcabuzz.com/2022/05/the-cruyff-story-part-10-a-goalkeeper-doesnt-need-gloves

Lux Thunder

Fair enough. Maybe my memory is failing me or probably more likely that these tactics weren't really used by British teams.
Fun fact, in a famous Match of the century at Wembley in 1953., Hungary shocked world best team England known for their WM formation with a defeat 3-6. That was, historically, the first match in which the world witnessed that sweeper keeper role played by Gyula Grosics, but also a false nine role played by Nandor Hidegkuti who finished the game with a hattrick.

Borussia Teeth

Fun fact, in a famous Match of the century at Wembley in 1953., Hungary shocked world best team England known for their WM formation with a defeat 3-6. That was, historically, the first match in which the world witnessed that sweeper keeper role played by Gyula Grosics, but also a false nine role played by Nandor Hidegkuti who finished the game with a hattrick.
Cheers for that. I'm not that old

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You mean like Arsenal who only just officialized Timber, a month after the first tweets? Or Declan Rice which isn’t even finalised yet? Or Bayern who took 3 weeks to get a player with a release clause ? Or Liverpool who is supposedly monitoring Lavia since June ?
Or Barca who is supposed to be getting Bernardo Silva for the last two years ? Or Openda to Leipzig who also took 3-4 weeks ? Or Gvardiol to City that is still nowhere close to be done?

No club is blitzing their way through the transfer market. United have their issues, but let’s not pretend other clubs have smooth transfer windows.
In the case of Onana, it looks very well like the structure of payments is the pain point. And Italian clubs are quite know for their creative deal structures, so it’s not a surprise that it takes time.
The other thing is that because the other clubs don't have as big a fan base, the media are less likely to report every single rumour or movement. There just isn't the return on the clicks.
So united seems to get a disproportionately higher number of media 'reports' than other clubs.

Like Luton towns signings arent reported outside it's geographic areas of interest since there isn't any interest. But it doesn't mean they aren't struggling to get their transfer deals through.

The bigger the club, the more microscopic every movement is magnified. As a result it gives a distorted view of what's going on whether for United or as opposed to Luton Town.

NoPace

Watching a bunch of his passing/every touch in a match highlights it seems as though a lot of his good passes for Inter were straight down the middle to strikers with their back to goal, which Rashford isn't very good at but Lautaro and Dzeko excel at.

Inter also play a 3-5-2 so it might look quite different, and no idea if he hit the strikers back to goal as much with Ajax since they played a 4-3-3 and obviously Ten Hag knows all this, but it's hard to watch those passes and not think of how effective passes from Onana straight to Kane dropping deep would be.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Done deal moons ago
Yeah from the outside but it’s actually taken weeks. Even from them finally agreeing a fee to an announcement has been ages. Ask an Arsenal fan because they’ll have lived every moment of it. We just see other transfers from the outside and don’t really give a shit so we don’t notice when they also can take time.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Do transfers get announced during weekends? You’d think they’d have a break during negotiations. All parties involved might know it’s done but they might want to announce it early next week.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Do transfers get announced during weekends? You’d think they’d have a break during negotiations. All parties involved might know it’s done but they might want to announce it early next week.
I think we'll hear this weekend. The Italian sources seem to think so. Inter are already spending the money!

Mmm-Qatarian

I swear to God I could basically lay out Andre Onana's daily schedule from how this transfer has been reported in the Italian media.

JUST IN: Andre Onana has now taken his last shite in a Milan toilet. He's micrometers away from joining Manchester United. He'll soon be putting on his shoes and jumping in a taxi heading to the airport. Destination? Manchester. [@Gazetta]

BarstoolProphet

West Ham announced Rice's departure today.

Status
Not open for further replies.