André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

James35

Nothing surprises me with this club. Whether rumour or truth there is always some level of ineptitude involved with all our deals.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It seems so reactionary. Also, are we only interested in Onana after that CL Final? No strong rumor before that.
Obviously not, but no one probably thought he was available. Now inter need to raise cash fast, he is their best bet.

RuudTom83

With United looking for a new GK this summer, every journalist/Twitter ITK is going to be linking a new GK every hour.

Impossible to actually know if United are in fact interested.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Have you met the United scouting team?
Obviously not, but no one probably thought he was available. Now inter need to raise cash fast, he is their best bet.
Probably like this poster said below. Just throw our name in.

With United looking for a new GK this summer, every journalist/Twitter ITK is going to be linking a new GK every hour.

Impossible to actually know if United are in fact interested.

Erik the Red

It seems so reactionary. Also, are we only interested in Onana after that CL Final? No strong rumor before that.
ETH was his manager and knew him very well. I'm sure he has been thinking about signing him for a while and just needed to wait until after the CL final to discuss, as it wouldn't have gone down well with Inter to unsettle their players before the final.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Probably like this poster said below. Just throw our name in.
I just don't see how that's the case here. He ticks so many boxes in terms of style and quality, played for the manager previously, is unexpectedly available and we have a great relationship doing business with the selling club.

dubplate warrior

He would improve us a lot more than people realise. We would suffer far less transitions and Casemiro will have a hell of a lot less work to do.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Could just be a coincidence, most rumours only take off after the season ends. I find it hard to believe Ten Hag wasn’t keeping an eye on the goalkeeper he only worked with literally last year.

NoPace

He would improve us a lot more than people realise. We would suffer far less transitions and Casemiro will have a hell of a lot less work to do.

If he can get us up to where Brighton and Liverpool were that could make a big difference for us, yeah.

croadyman

It's Ten Hag.

Pretty much everyone EtH has targetted since he joined is either a former player of his, or someone he personally saw in the Eredivisie. In the case of Onana, it's a former player.
Yeah but this guy is one of best on market,Erik will sign some players he hasn't worked with before that's for certain

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
ETH was his manager and knew him very well. I'm sure he has been thinking about signing him for a while and just needed to wait until after the CL final to discuss, as it wouldn't have gone down well with Inter to unsettle their players before the final.
That's a weird take. We should be discussing with target, way before season end.
I just don't see how that's the case here. He ticks so many boxes in terms of style and quality, played for the manager previously, is unexpectedly available and we have a great relationship doing business with the selling club.
Why is he unexpectedly available? Is Inter's financial crisis unexpectedly happened after season end?
Could just be a coincidence, most rumours only take off after the season ends. I find it hard to believe Ten Hag wasn’t keeping an eye on the goalkeeper he only worked with literally last year.
Yeah, probably. Our D. Costa rumor was started months ago. But could be just smoke screen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why is he unexpectedly available? Is Inter's financial crisis unexpectedly happened after season end?
I would imagine they tried to sell other players before their first team keeper, to raise money.

Zed is not dead

Are people ok with the fact that Onana was free last year?
Not at all. Onana was a gamble

As talented as he may be, he was quite rash at times.

Add to that he had a long term ban because of a failed drug test, rumours of falling off with Ten Hag who put him on the bench for his final months at Ajax, the actual falling off with the Cameroon NT during the World Cup, and even when Inter signed him they didn’t play him ahead of Handanovic until October or so.

Had we brought him in last summer, we would’ve lashed out at the management « bringing a player banned for doping that our new coach didn’t even play in his last club a few months » and so on

Hindsight punditry at its best on the Caf

redcucumber

Not at all. Onana was a gamble

As talented as he may be, he was quite rash at times.

Add to that he had a long term ban because of a failed drug test, rumours of falling off with Ten Hag who put him on the bench for his final months at Ajax, the actual falling off with the Cameroon NT during the World Cup, and even when Inter signed him they didn’t play him ahead of Handanovic until October or so.

Had we brought him in last summer, we would’ve lashed out at the management « bringing a player banned for doping that our new coach didn’t even play in his last club a few months » and so on

Hindsight punditry at its best on the Caf
I mean, people have been wanting to replace De Gea since before this summer. Onana has been fairly high profile for a while and a new GK has been a pretty routine discussion particularly on here, so although he may not have been people's first choice this time last year (or in January when he was able to sign a contract), it's hardly surprising people are questioning our strategy. De Gea is out of contract in 10 days and our 2nd choice keeper has one foot at Forest. It's a pressing situation.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I mean, people have been wanting to replace De Gea since before this summer. Onana has been fairly high profile for a while and a new GK has been a pretty routine discussion particularly on here, so although he may not have been people's first choice this time last year (or in January when he was able to sign a contract), it's hardly surprising people are questioning our strategy. De Gea is out of contract in 10 days and our 2nd choice keeper has one foot at Forest. It's a pressing situation.
And Onana is very press resistant.

Zed is not dead

Except he wasnt high profile after his ban. Only Lyon and Inter were interested. He played the African Cup of Nations after his suspension and he was only meh.
He was pretty inconsistent at the time and wasn’t a sure thing.

Donut

It is so weird how we seem to be approaching this as "priority 1 is de Gea extends but if not, we can go get Onana"... Its honestly wild. It's like ... Maybe Fred will extend but if not we can always just go out and sign Luka Modrić.
Is he really that good? Haven’t seen much bar the crazy sweeper videos.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is he really that good? Haven’t seen much bar the crazy sweeper videos.
CL final is all you need to see! He's a quality goalkeeper. Brilliant at playing out from the back with the ball at his feet, strong in the air, strong F sweeping, strong at shot stopping. An absolute no brainer signing.

The videos are more when he was younger, and he doesn't go that crazy from what I've seen in a normal side.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Except he wasnt high profile after his ban. Only Lyon and Inter were interested. He played the African Cup of Nations after his suspension and he was only meh.
He was pretty inconsistent at the time and wasn’t a sure thing.
Yeah lost some form but it was a temporary thing understandably after being out of football for so long. Always takes time to get back to your best.

Status
Not open for further replies.