André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

A mistake here or there is no big deal...but what is important is how he deals with the insane scrutiny the English media will give every single mistake and the hammering he will get on social media.

Tarrou

This is surely a joke?
Nah, people genuinely believe stuff like this despite it obviously being horse-shit

Like when they believed in Brexit FC after Ole kept buying foreigners

Or they believe we're penny pinchers in the market despite spending more than anyone

croadyman

A mistake here or there is no big deal...but what is important is how he deals with the insane scrutiny the English media will give every single mistake and the hammering he will get on social media.
Seems like he has very broad shoulders to me

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems like he has very broad shoulders to me
He tried to style out a “I took my wife’s diet pills” excuse so it’s fair to say the lad has a neck like a jockey’s bollocks. This won’t faze him.

croadyman

He tried to style out a “I took my wife’s diet pills” excuse so it’s fair to say the lad has a neck like a jockey’s bollocks. This won’t faze him.
Yeah sounds like he would relish playing at Anfield where it's so hostile towards us

Mr PG

I'm getting tired of explaining the same things over and over again. I'm not worried about the scouting because the scouting at the club is strong from what I've read about the scouts and who they they're and who they've discovered in the past. And every player that is being signed will have to be ratified by the likes of Jose Mayorga and Simon Wells who are currently the head scouts after they replaced Bout and Lawlor last year. And the scout in charge of the European contintent is former Ajax scout Henny de Regt. We will sign players of all nationalities and from different leagues. I'm not worried about ten Hag targeting Eredivisie players because I'm a firm believer he should target players like Onana, because Onana will help us evolve as a football team.

I was disappointed with the likes of Mourinho and Solskjaer who I feel could've done more to target some very talented players from Portugal and Norway. Players like Bernardo Silva and Cancelo joined Man City without us seemingly challenging City for their signatures. And even though Solkskjaer attempted to sign Haaland, I feel he missed a trick with Martin Odegaard.

Klopp at Liverpool has signed countless players who are either associated with the German or Austrian Bundesliga. Their latest signing is again from Red Bull Leipzig, and it's due to those players being ready made for his play style. Below is a list of players Klopp has signed who were either directly or indirectly associated with the German or Austrian Bundesliga. Sadio Mane was a player that the Liverpool data analytics team deemed him not good enough in 2014, but Klopp overuled them and signed him on the basis that he had followed him since he was playing at Red Bull Salzburg. And the signing of Coutinho came about after Brendan Rodgers bought the player after a scouting recommendation from Lee Congerton who was a personal scout of Brendan Rodgers. And Liverpool benefitted immensely from that signing due to the stupidity of Barcelona who shelled out €140m for him.

The top 5 in the list were signed in Klopp's first summer window in 2016.

Sadio Mane
Ragnar Klavan
Joel Matip
Alex Manninger
Loris Karius
Naby Keita
Xherdan Shakiri
Takumi Minamino
Thiago Alcantara
Ibrahima Konate
Ozan Kabak (loan)
Dominic Szoboszlai

The only thing I'm worried about is the ownership situation right now. Because in addition to Mason Mount, I feel we need at least another first phase midfielder, striker, and GK as a minimum requirement. But you can have the best scouts in the world, but they'll only be as good as the investment that comes down from the owners. It's not difficult to sign good players if everyone is working together towards a clear and defined way of playing the game. But you need consistent investment from the very top to succeed against the wealth funds.

Players like Declan Rice, Caicedo, Lavia etc are our targets in this window imo. But we can't sign them in the current window. I think we're going to go on a spending spree late in the window with potential new owners in place by the start of August. I think the Glazers will make a decision in July.
Sometimes it's not that Mourinho and Ole didn't try but the players and their agents are smart enough to avoid a low quality football project like we had with Jose park the bus and Ole counter-attacking football. Both of those coaches could have stayed at United for 10 yrs and we'd still struggle to control games.

croadyman

Sometimes it's not that Mourinho and Ole didn't try but the players and their agents are smart enough to avoid a low quality football project like we had with Jose park the bus and Ole counter-attacking football. Both of those coaches could have stayed at United for 10 yrs and we'd still struggle to control games.
Yeah Haaland being the dumbest mistake of all

Sylar

Who are these topclubs not playing from the back and why aren’t they lining up to sign him? He’s available, after all.
He's on a free so I'm very surprised all these top teams haven't snapped him up yet
Guess we can say he just got married so he's too busy? And once he's back from his wedding / honeymoon that's when he will have multiple choices from all these teams ... That don't play out the back ...

Big Andy

Bloke
Its blatantly clear that we wouldn't just delete his number, chuck all his gear into the street and feck him off. There will be constant communication between him and his agent and United. De Gea will know exactly what is going on. Just because the papers are making out he's in the dark, doesn't mean that's the case. Maybe De Gea is waiting to see who we sign before he makes his mind up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's probably true with certain players. And it was reported about Haaland and his father being concerned about Ole not lasting long enough in the job for him to consider joining United. And it would've been daft of Haaland to join us at 17/18 from Molde when Mourinho was the manager. Haaland made the right steps imo.

But Mourinho absolutely had the gravitas with the Portuguese contingent imo. He just made some weird recruitment decisions and completely misprofiled Pogba who wasn't a player cut out for a more intense league like the EPL. Solskjaer then made things worse by adding Fernandes on top of trying to shoehorn Pogba.

Didier Deschamps imo demonstrated how to utilise Pogba to full effect by having a extra player to control the wide space in defensive transition when he utilised Matuidi at RB. You can't really play like that in the EPL.

georgipep

Solskjaer then made things worse by adding Fernandes on top of trying to shoehorn Pogba.
How did he make it worse when you say it yourself that Pogba is not cut out for the PL?

Also, we played our best football with Pogba and Bruno on the field. Both with Pogba playing midfield and left wing (those few games). Ultimately, Pogba's body broke down and we can argue if it was the PL that caused it, bad luck or him starting games at the highest level at an early age.

There is a very data-backed theory that players only have a limited amount of minutes in the tank in their senior careers and those that start early usually also brake down early.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How did he make it worse when you say it yourself that Pogba is not cut out for the PL?

Also, we played our best football with Pogba and Bruno on the field. Both with Pogba playing midfield and left wing (those few games). Ultimately, Pogba's body broke down and we can argue if it was the PL that caused it, bad luck or him starting games at the highest level at an early age.

There is a very data-backed theory that players only have a limited amount of minutes in the tank in their senior careers and those that start early usually also brake down early.
He made it worse because his idea was to add Fernandes, a advanced midfielder when he already had Pogba at the club. That meant he had to utilise Pogba deeper when it would've been better to just target a different profile of midfielder to play alongside Matic in the first phase which would've been better for the midfield construct and balance. And if you remember, the scouts at the time were reported to have recommended Solskjaer sign a different profile of player to Fernandes for midfield balance.

georgipep

He made it worse because his idea was to add Fernandes, a advanced midfielder when he already had Pogba at the club. That meant he had to utilise Pogba deeper when it would've been better to just target a different profile of midfielder to play alongside Matic in the first phase which would've been better for the midfield construct and balance. And if you remember, the scouts at the time were reported to have recommended Solskjaer sign a different profile of player to Fernandes for midfield balance.
How did that make it worse when we had our best performances after Bruno arrived?
Pogba was already unreliable and injured for long periods of time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How did that make it worse when we had our best performances after Bruno arrived?
Pogba was already unreliable and injured for long periods of time.
It made is worse because we never got close to challenging the top teams who implemented proactive attacking play styles with well balanced teams, whilst we carried on playing a reactive brand of football.

georgipep

It made is worse because we never got close to challenging the top teams who implemented proactive attacking play styles with well balanced teams, whilst we carried on playing a reactive brand of football.
And we were closer before Bruno?

I seem to have a different definition of "worse" than you.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Amad, Facundo, Caicedo...
Bruno, Malacia, the list goes on.

Scouts don’t just mean young unknown players. I don’t think 75% of the CAF knew who Bruno was before he signed for us

Mihai

The major thing in Mount's sale is that it was the last year of his contract and he didn't want to extend so Chelsea were compelled to sell him.

With Inter its not the same situation, they aren't stressed and they can negotiate with us as long as they need to get a good deal for themselves.
According to Di Marzio, Inter are waiting to sell to pursue Lukaku and Frattesi. So while not the same situation as Mount, Inter appear to be willing to get a deal done as well sooner rather than later.

georgipep

Some would say Mourinho was closer with 81 points without Fernandes, with two trophies also in the bag.
And you agree with that?

When Ole actually was top of the table and one De Gea away from the Europa League?

Come on, you can't seriously believe that!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And you agree with that?

When Ole actually was top of the table and one De Gea away from the Europa League?

Come on, you can't seriously believe that!
My personal opinion is that we haven't come close to winning the league since Fergie retired.

Zoo

Manchester United have verbally increased to 45 million, Inter continue to ask for 60

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Manchester United have verbally increased to 45 million, Inter continue to ask for 60
Sounds like Inters expecting 50 plus 5mill in add-ons. Helluva profit for a player they got on a free only a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.