g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickelodeon

He was terrific in the CL final. Don't know much about him and whether he's a good enough fit for us or not. But the way he confidently came out of the box and passed unerringly is exactly how I want our GK to play. De Gea just can't do that.

Dan_F

Do we only get interested in players when they become expensive?
He also had a lot of dodgy moments at Ajax, regardless of the drugs thing. Maybe he’s lost some of that with experience, but I don’t think we’re interested at all.

Maybe the question should be why do fans only get interested after one good game. I’ve barely seen his name mentioned all season as a replacement for De Gea.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He also had a lot of dodgy moments at Ajax, regardless of the drugs thing. Maybe he’s lost some of that with experience, but I don’t think we’re interested at all.

Maybe the question should be why do fans only get interested after one good game. I’ve barely seen his name mentioned all season as a replacement for De Gea.
To be fair, he was a large part of what they were able to compete for so long against the best team in our league. He has always been known as a good ball playing keeper, I think most people (myself included) didn't realise how good he was at it.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Why the feck was he taking that then?
He had a headache and wanted to take an aspirin. During the case both pill strips were shown as evidence and they looked very similar and it was ruled an honest mistake. For what it's worth regarding the falling out between ETH and Onana had to do with fitness levels. Nothing to do with the contract extension. Some people claimed he refused to sign a contract extension so he could leave on a free but there's also another story where Onana was willing to sign a one year extension but Ajax wanted him to sign for another two years. I guess we'll never know but as Ajax supporter for me it's water under the bridge and I wish him the best and would love to see him at United next season.

Last edited:

croadyman

I’m a skeptic.

I doubt a professional athlete would take something without double checking, especially considering taking the wrong ‘cold medicine’ can get you banned for up to 4 years.
Yeah I know what you mean

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m a skeptic.

I doubt a professional athlete would take something without double checking, especially considering taking the wrong ‘cold medicine’ can get you banned for up to 4 years.
I don't blame you for being skeptical. But CAS heard his case and believed his story. Sometimes accidents are just accidents - and frankly given that he's a goalkeeper I don't know if the upside is there to be doping anyway.

croadyman

I don't blame you for being skeptical. But CAS heard his case and believed his story. Sometimes accidents are just accidents - and frankly given that he's a goalkeeper I don't know if the upside is there to be doping anyway.
Ah yes the same CAS who City owe that Champions League win to

RVN1991

I think I prefer him over Costa tbh. Looks like he's all but set to join Chelsea mind you.

daba

My limited view of the two is that they are both great, both good shot stoppers, Onana probably the better ball player whereas Maignan a more commanding presence and leader. Is that a fair assessment?

Who would people prefer out of the two if they were both to cost around £50m?

Davie Moyes

My limited view of the two is that they are both great, both good shot stoppers, Onana probably the better ball player whereas Maignan a more commanding presence and leader. Is that a fair assessment?

Who would people prefer out of the two if they were both to cost around £50m?
From my very limited personal view but from what I read on the Caf Maignan is a very well rounded keeper so surely it has to be him - if he is available. On the other hand Onana seems to be great to watch.

saivet

Is he the keeper that got sent home from the World Cup for refusing to hit long balls forward, as requeted by his manager because he wanted to play out from the back instead?

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Is he the keeper that got sent home from the World Cup for refusing to hit long balls forward, as requeted by his manager because he wanted to play out from the back instead?
Thaaaaaat's Andre!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Athletes dope because it makes them stronger. Stronger people jump higher and faster.

i thought Onana on a free in that season where Dave got dropped for Hendo was a no brainer.

Don't see it happening for now because of his falling out with Eric.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Athletes dope because it makes them stronger. Stronger people jump higher and faster.

i thought Onana on a free in that season where Dave got dropped for Hendo was a no brainer.

Well, yes. I meant more that the gains are more likely to be marginal for a goalkeeper, so there's far less upside to risking it.

OrcaFat

I’m a skeptic.

People do stupid shit.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
People do stupid shit.
Exactly. Being a professional athlete doesn't make you magically apply more common sense.

Well, yes. I meant more that the gains are more likely to be marginal for a goalkeeper, so there's far less upside to risking it.
True, and actually you reminded me that the rumour at the time was he was trying to lose weight for some weigh in?

Mcking

Always thought he was a small keeper like Raya for some reason, but he looks to be much bigger. Prefer him to Costa

Amsterdam Devil

He was a great great goalkeeper at Ajax, only his departure and the drugs thing was weird.

Last edited:

Amsterdam Devil

I think his falling out was more with Ajax than with Erik, because he didn’t want to extend his contract after Ajax stood by him in the drugs case and the suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.