André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Honestly I'd be happy with either keeper. I just want to see us evolve and not struggle against well coordinated pressing teams. De Gea is no where near good enough to start for us, especially under a head coach who wants to build play from the back.
Yeah either are massive upgrades

Davie Moyes

I have no idea on what really happened between Onana, Ajax and Ten Hag. All i know is that pre-ban, Onana was absolutely phenomenal, and post-ban he was absolutely terrible. Seems to be back to his old form now. After 10(?) years of DDG, you lot wouldn't know what hit you if you got him. He is 30 yards in front of his goal all the time and his ball playing ability is better than most CB's. Really hope he comes here
Yes please. Just hook it into my veins!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@AjaxNL

If his performances were poor after the ban - do you think he was taking performance enhancing drugs and is still shit without it at Inter?

I like Onana - but I do wonder if everybody saw his one performance vs Man City and got super excited by it.

glasgow 21

@AjaxNL

If his performances were poor after the ban - do you think he was taking performance enhancing drugs and is still shit without it at Inter?

I like Onana - but I do wonder if everybody saw his one performance vs Man City and got super excited by it.
I think Onana's name came up continually when replacements were mentioned well before any Final. However we don't need to worry he isn't coming here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not happy with the goalkeeper reports that keep referencing Dave’s contract.

Jericho

Exactly, his performance in the CL Final was exceptional. His footwork was very good and it didn't feel like there was any tension on him at any pressing point by City.
He was good, but I think he let the striker get too close to him a few times. He seems to enjoy playing with fire back there, he definitely reminds me of Barthez in that sense.

Nickelodeon

Exactly, his performance in the CL Final was exceptional. His footwork was very good and it didn't feel like there was any tension on him at any pressing point by City.
I'd rather have an over-confident, cocky goalkeeper than the timid version of De Gea we currently see.

Glorio

I'd rather have an over-confident, cocky goalkeeper than the timid version of De Gea we currently see.
Would you have preferred Barthez to De Gea? I don't know Onana is all that personally. Mainly because I've not really watched him! :lol:

Nickelodeon

Would you have preferred Barthez to De Gea? I don't know Onana is all that personally. Mainly because I've not really watched him! :lol:
Definitely not. Not sure how that even is a question though. One thing is clear, that we need a change in the GK department. I haven't seen too much of Onana myself, but the limited I've seen has been quite impressive. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for a GK to be better than De Gea these days, particularly in terms of aerial dominance and being good with their feet.

Highfather_24

'
Agreed but dont think a comparison to Barthez is a positive thing. Maybe meant more like a ticking bomb?

RC89

De Gea is nowhere near as good as he once was, and personally I hate people talking like he is. It's a massive disservice to the keeper he used to be. For a good five or six years he was one of the best pure shot-stoppers in the history of the game. He's now only a bit above average. Not one of the best, not even particularly good. Literally just a bit above average. It's been one of the most clear and obvious declines that I can remember.

His best ended at the 2018 World Cup where he absolutely shit the bed for Spain, and he never came close to recovering from that in the five years since.
Spot on. I've been reticent in criticising DDG for a long time because he saved us so many times but it's clear to see he's bang average now. For as many world class saves he makes, he makes as many howlers. We were knocked out by Sevilla largely due to his error.

croadyman

We stick with De Gea over signing a starter then absolutely deserve all we get

AjaxNL

@AjaxNL

I'm absolutely 100% that what happened with his form after the ban was mentality/motivation issues. Which in itself could be a problem as well ofcourse. Lets not forget, the guy is a strange character, he got send home from the WC as well. However, that strong and stubborn personality also helps him in goal and makes him the GK that he is. For me he is an absolute no brainer for Utd, he would improve you so much.

Now the real question for me is, does he have any beef with EtH.

croadyman

Great to see Whitwell say we are weighing him up. Not great that we still are trying to extend de Gea and it very much feels like an either or scenario. Just sign the guy and let de Gea go cleanly. What is wrong with us ffs.
Yeah we are too sentimental not ruthless

Rolaholic

Would be a treat having a keeper with command of his area again after a decade+...

daba

Great to see Whitwell say we are weighing him up. Not great that we still are trying to extend de Gea and it very much feels like an either or scenario. Just sign the guy and let de Gea go cleanly. What is wrong with us ffs.
Yep, I said this before. At this late stage we shouldn’t be waiting on De Gea’s decision and should be proactive.

That being said Man City are in a similar contract position with Gundogan, but it’s far more understandable that they want him to stay and are willing to wait for it.

AndySmith1990

I agree.

We always seem desperate to keep almost every player for some reason. Book value? Don't know. But it certainly doesn't feel like some of the contract extensions we've made over the years were done with the best interests of the team in mind

Wouldn't mind if we extended contracts and then sold the players on. But we end up with bloated squads of overpaid dross, only to be forced to loan them out or see them eventually leave for nothing anyway. Can't really work out the thinking behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.