André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I agree.

We always seem desperate to keep almost every player for some reason. Book value? Don't know. But it certainly doesn't feel like some of the contract extensions we've made over the years were done with the best interests of the team in mind

Wouldn't mind if we extended contracts and then sold the players on. But we end up with bloated squads of overpaid dross, only to be forced to loan them out or see them eventually leave for nothing anyway. Can't really work out the thinking behind it
Yeah hopefully now Woody and Judge are gone we might see an improvement in contracts

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He won’t be happy warming the bench here - so DDG’s first choice status will be under scrutiny if this transfer eventuates

DanClancy

Surely if Ten hag wanted him he'd have bought him last summer when he was on a free?

croadyman

Surely if Ten hag wanted him he'd have bought him last summer when he was on a free?
Maybe he felt after taking Licha and Antony that was enough,also maybe there was doubts about how he would perform after ban

Rolaholic

He was nailed on for Inter since before the winter so he wasn't really on the market by then. He had an agreement in principle with them since October 2021.

Would've also been a massive surprise usurping DDG prior to his debut season

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is he your prefered option?
I don't really have a preferred option. I think it's important to sign a GK who can give us the numerical superiority in the build up phase.

I quite like the young GK from Anderlecht, (Verbruggen). But I'm not sure if he's ready to be our #1 straight away.

Do you have a preference?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don't really have a preferred option. I think it's important to sign a GK who can give us the numerical superiority in the build up phase.

I quite like the young GK from Anderlecht, (Verbruggen). But I'm not sure if he's ready to be our #1 straight away.

Do you have a preference?
No. Like you I want someone who can play. I also miss having a proactive and dominating goalkeeper (Schmeichel, Barthez, van der Sar). Guess most players who can play are.

But I will not assess who is the best goalkeeper overall. Feels like a seperate field within the sports, and I’m not really confident on what to look for.

Dannn411

Its all well and good that he can pass but I hope he dominates his box as well. In my opinion, rhat's more important. In 10+ years here, De Gea never once had command of his box and that made us food on basically every corner, indirect free-kick, cross and long throw-in. Embarrassing for a £375k a week goalkeeper.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Maybe he felt after taking Licha and Antony that was enough,also maybe there was doubts about how he would perform after ban
Yeah plus let's face it he was still kinda a hot potato from an Ajax man's perspective. I'd still love him here now but at the same time only if the previous baggage chapter is well and truly closed.

Rolaholic

Its all well and good that he can pass but I hope he dominates his box as well. In my opinion, rhat's more important. In 10+ years here, De Gea never once had command of his box and that made us food on basically every corner, indirect free-kick, cross and long throw-in. Embarrassing for a £375k a week goalkeeper.
One of his biggest strengths to go with his distribution and leadership

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree. Courtois is mediocre on the ball but he completely dominates his box in the air. Another point with de Gea is that he just crumbles in big moments. There's been so many key games where he's costed us over this past contract. You just can't have an inconsistent goalkeeper who is consistently useless in the air in the prem. And as a big club, you can't have a goalkeeper who can't pass out from the back.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
One of his biggest strengths to go with his distribution and leadership

Pochettino is great at squad building. Not surprising that he has identified onana to help change the spine of that chelsea team. New addition in Onana, Caicedo, Colwell, and lavia will completely transform that chelsea team from what they were last season. It is now on Boehly to ensure Pochettino gets what he wants.

Last edited:

Idxomer

His sweeping stats are seriously underwhelming, is that because of how Inter Milan play or is it his style?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
His sweeping stats are seriously underwhelming, is that because of how Inter Milan play or is it his style?
His 'def actions outside penalty area per 90' were 1.14, 1.71, and 1.85 for the three full seasons at Ajax fbref has that data for vs. 0.42 at Inter.

Seems to be an Inter thing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pochettino is great at squad building. Not surprising that he has identified onana to help change the spine of that chelsea team. New addition in Onana, Caicedo, Colwell, and lavia will completely transform that Chelsea team from what they were last season. It is now on Boehly to ensure Pochettino gets what he wants.
It's nothing to do with Pochettino, it will be Paul Winstanley and co. Bar Onana, all of those players would be well known to Winstanley (Caicedo, Colwell) and Joe Shields (Lavia).

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It's nothing to do with Pochettino, it will be Paul Winstanley and co. Bar Onana, all of those players would be well known to Winstanley (Caicedo, Colwell) and Joe Shields (Lavia).
Pochettino give approval. Same way he did with urgarte and how he told them not only to push forward with the deal, but also to ensure they don't pay anything crazy, which as a result lead urgarte to psg

Withnail

Excellent word. Not real, but excellent nonetheless.

Edit: Shite. It's real, isn't it? As you were.
It's rarely ever used though. You get that little graph of usage when you look up the definition and it barely registers.

You'd just say heartening, really. The 'en' adds nothing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pochettino give approval. Same way he did with urgarte and how he told them not only to push forward with the deal, but also to ensure they don't pay anything crazy, which as a result lead urgarte to psg
Agreed, but you said identified and talking about input on cost. He will obviously approve these signings, but I think you're confusing his role with recruitment's and the DOF's in Chelseas set up.

Rake

Well, seems like DDG is out (or definitely not considered first choice), so we are signing someone.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone else get that Rihanna song in their head every time they read his name?
If we buy him, he practically comes with his own chant. Singing his song would therefore feel plastic because we didn't earn it.

Yes, I know it's a stretch but I couldn't help myself.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No. Like you I want someone who can play. I also miss having a proactive and dominating goalkeeper (Schmeichel, Barthez, van der Sar). Guess most players who can play are.

But I will not assess who is the best goalkeeper overall. Feels like a seperate field within the sports, and I’m not really confident on what to look for.
When i'm assessing a GK, I mainly focus on distribution/sweeping and command of the box via claiming crosses.

And with someone like Verbruggen I feel he has all the fundamentals but still very young to probably rely on as the #1, at his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.