André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I‘m pointing out the hypocrisy of criticizing De Gea for every misplaced ball while I don‘t hear a peep about Ederson and Onana doing the same yesterday.

I swear had it been DeGea in goal yesterday he would be blamed for Inter losing.

Clearly both players are superior ball-players/sweepers, Onana would be a great gk for us.
It’s more the presence of a keeper of that calibre behind the defence is the reason they don’t get slated for a poor pass. They give the defenders confidence that if the balls goes to them they will be comfortable on the ball and how to pick out a pass. Also the English media love to jump on the bandwagon, DDG couldn’t do anything about either of City’s goals in the final.
Against Sevilla he’s at fault for losing that game, although we messed up the first leg and should have put it beyond doubt ourselves.

NLunited

It’s more the presence of a keeper of that calibre behind the defence is the reason they don’t get slated for a poor pass. They give the defenders confidence that if the balls goes to them they will be comfortable on the ball and how to pick out a pass. Also the English media love to jump on the bandwagon, DDG couldn’t do anything about either of City’s goals in the final.
Against Sevilla he’s at fault for losing that game, although we messed up the first leg and should have put it beyond doubt ourselves.
Now that‘s balanced criticism I am fine with.

It will be slightly annoying if we buy him. Given that he went to Inter on a free last season, and Ten Hag knew him well from his Ajax days.

Based Adnan

One of the biggest reasons why Inter were able to play out of the back. City didn't even bother pressing it at times. Night and day difference to De Gea.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I‘m pointing out the hypocrisy of criticizing De Gea for every misplaced ball while I don‘t hear a peep about Ederson and Onana doing the same yesterday.

I swear had it been DeGea in goal yesterday he would be blamed for Inter losing.

Clearly both players are superior ball-players/sweepers, Onana would be a great gk for us.
Nobody is criticizing De Gea for every misplaced ball. Stop arguing in bad faith. It's the equivalent of saying that Martinez should be criticized for making any sideways pass just because Smalling was. Or that Rodri should be criticized for misplacing a pass because Fred is. Kane should be criticized for his finishing because Lukaku is. And so on.

De Gea is criticized because he is extremely bad at it by the standards of a modern top keeper (or plenty of keepers who aren't even close to being 'top'). His passing is consistently poor both in decision making and quality. Nobody expects perfection, but they rightfully expect better than 'poor'.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nobody is criticizing De Gea for every misplaced ball. Stop arguing in bad faith. It's the equivalent of saying that Martinez should be criticized for making any sideways pass just because Smalling was. Or that Rodri should be criticized for misplacing a pass because Fred is. Kane should be criticized for his finishing because Lukaku is. And so on.

De Gea is criticized because he is extremely bad at it by the standards of a modern top keeper (or plenty of keepers who aren't even close to being 'top'). His passing is consistently poor both in decision making and quality. Nobody expects perfection, but they rightfully expect better than 'poor'.
But everybody does criticize DDG for every misplaced ball even if the rest of his attributes description is accurate

Lee565

If there was ever a wake up call it was last night watching inter break man city's press due to onana ability on the ball to the point they were doing it with less intensity as the game went on, whilst in the fa cup final we struggled to cope and looked panicky when we were passing out the back with de gea.

I envy seeing onana with the ball at his feet right near the half way line on multiple occasions last night and yet I struggle to remember de gea with the ball at his feet outside his own penalty area let alone halfway up the pitch in all the years he has been.

If people can not see how equally important it is to replace de gea as it is to get a competent striker to implement more of a style seen at ajax then enjoy another season of way far off competing with man City and top European sides

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
But everybody does criticize DDG for every misplaced ball even if the rest of his attributes description is accurate
I think it’s because of our lack of goals up top and any mistake at the back that leads to a goal or a big chance is noticed a lot more. City/Ederson can make mistakes but will produce a lot of goal chances to score to go on and win games.
We struggle in that department at the moment, we are improving and a new striker will hopefully boost our output.

Edwards6

If there was ever a wake up call it was last night watching inter break man city's press due to onana ability on the ball to the point they were doing it with less intensity as the game went on, whilst in the fa cup final we struggled to cope and looked panicky when we were passing out the back with de gea.

I envy seeing onana with the ball at his feet right near the half way line on multiple occasions last night and yet I struggle to remember de gea with the ball at his feet outside his own penalty area let alone halfway up the pitch in all the years he has been.

If people can not see how equally important it is to replace de gea as it is to get a competent striker to implement more of a style seen at ajax then enjoy another season of way far off competing with man City and top European sides
Agree with this, he was like an extra defender sometimes playing from outside the area meaning the whole team is pushed further forward. When it's De Gea trying to play out from his goal line it just invites more pressure because the opposition know he usually gives it away if he's pressed

Mas Risky

Not for every pass.

You can't expect goalkeepers to hit the long ball accurately all the time.

The minimum requirement for GKs nowadays, is to deliver short and medium passes in order to recycle possesion and relieve from opponent's pressure.

De Gea rarely lob the ball to our fullbacks and his medium passes to our central midfield often invites pressure because it is a bit shorter or longer than it should be.

Godfather

Yeah was really impressed with that.

Okey

There is a massive difference in being part of the build up the entire game and playing 10 great balls and making 2 sloppy passes throughout the entire game, compared to just punting it away inaccurately and giving up on playing out from the back because the goalkeeper is incapable of it. Mistakes inevitably happen and can be costly. De Gea makes more mistakes than average goalkeepers despite trying to play out from the back far fewer than average goalkeepers.

And yeah we had Lukaku who would improve us now despite being nowhere near good enough and pretty much the reason Inter lost today.
Thank you.

Lost bear

Onana's distribution and commanding of defense are ridiculously good. If United believe the type of modern goalkeepers like Onana is a way to move on and catch up with footballing like City, Barca, and Bayern, etc, they are probably convinced that Dean Henderson is not the type of goalkeeper we need unless Dean Henderson can prove he is up with Onana in term of commanding defense and organizing defense to play out from back.

I hope Dean Henderson can prove United wrong. Would be good to have a goalkeeper for a decade we produced from our academy

We should get Maignan, he is really on another level in term of organizing the defence and commanding, he's soo confident and composed on balls, he easily dominates the box.
Fair enough. Got my doubts about Henderson though, particularly in terms of character and consistency. Definitely believe Onana is the better bet.

FujiVice

Whether he's the answer of not, I'm stick to death of being stunned seeing a goalkeeper coming out of his box and shouting for his back four to push up. When that's the norm for most top teams in Europe. Unlike so many other players before him, De Gea's been left behind, instead of being past his best. He's arguably as good as he ever was. But that isnt the role a goalkeeper plays in this day and edge.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Whether he's the answer of not, I'm stick to death of being stunned seeing a goalkeeper coming out of his box and shouting for his back four to push up. When that's the norm for most top teams in Europe. Unlike so many other players before him, De Gea's been left behind, instead of being past his best. He's arguably as good as he ever was. But that isnt the role a goalkeeper plays in this day and edge.
The norm is for a back 4 to push up?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
For their starting positions not to be celotaped to the 18 yard line. For a top team, absolutely is.
Don't most top teams play it out from the back? Rather than pushing up as you say, and I imagine booting it to the opposition?

criticalanalysis

There is a massive difference in being part of the build up the entire game and playing 10 great balls and making 2 sloppy passes throughout the entire game, compared to just punting it away inaccurately and giving up on playing out from the back because the goalkeeper is incapable of it. Mistakes inevitably happen and can be costly. De Gea makes more mistakes than average goalkeepers despite trying to play out from the back far fewer than average goalkeepers.

And yeah we had Lukaku who would improve us now despite being nowhere near good enough and pretty much the reason Inter lost today.
It's actually the De Gea fans like yourself who I expect to be very harsh towards the new keeper. You seem to think the critics have unrealistic expectations, and thus you will push those unrealistic expectations on the new guy using exactly the kind of comments you have in this post. Every time he gives the ball away, every mistake he makes, a significant amount of the goals that we concede, they will jump on it and say that De Gea got attacked for similar or that De Gea would have saved it. Or pretend that the critics were making out that a new keeper would never give the ball away, or some rubbish like that. Not necessarily you yourself (although this post makes me think you will) but certainly others.

In reality, the majority of the critics know the new guy will give the ball away at times. He will make mistakes. He will concede the occasional goal that he perhaps could have saved. Nobody is perfect. But De Gea is already doing all that, and most probably worse than any decent keeper we bring in. The expectations are being kept realistic in terms of the keeper himself, although I do think there are a few who going overboard in terms of how much of an impact the keeper by himself will have on the team as a whole. It'll be a big impact, but not as big as some seem to think.

Strange to bring Lukaku into it. There was plenty of appreciation for him in his first half a season when he was actually performing well. But his second season was atrocious and his 'teachers pet' thing he had going on with Mourinho despite being the worst performer in the team was blatantly bad for team morale. Doing it in Italy is one thing, but he crashed and burned as soon as he came back to Chelsea again, and then hasn't been particularly good in his latest season for Inter.
I applaud your patience to engage.

It's like the Rooney/Mourinho/Ole etc days. Some people just have stockholm syndrome and are far too emotionally tied to people at the club rather than looking at things more objectively. How can someone still be so obtuse and give De Gea benefit of the doubt in every way like it's going out of fashion. It's mind boggling.

goalscholes

Is this a black thing? :lol:

I don’t get the relevance.
What a weird thing to say.

One is a 27 year old ball playing GK from AC Milan. The other a 27 year old ball playing GK from Inter Milan.

I’d prefer the much better one.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was available for free last year. We had good relationship with Ajax. We knew ETH may be one of the potential options we go with.

Yet, we let him go to Inter.

Marcelinho87

No chance we'll go for him. Pretty sure he was dropped by ETH at Ajax and they fell out. Also, didn't he get banned for drugs at one stage? Was out for quite a while.
Yep 12 months, reduced to 9.

Claimed he took one of his Mrs pills or something.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
De Gea is nowhere near as good as he once was, and personally I hate people talking like he is. It's a massive disservice to the keeper he used to be. For a good five or six years he was one of the best pure shot-stoppers in the history of the game. He's now only a bit above average. Not one of the best, not even particularly good. Literally just a bit above average. It's been one of the most clear and obvious declines that I can remember.

His best ended at the 2018 World Cup where he absolutely shit the bed for Spain, and he never came close to recovering from that in the five years since.

Dominos

De Gea is nowhere near as good as he once was, and personally I hate people talking like he is. It's a massive disservice to the keeper he used to be. For a good five or six years he was one of the best pure shot-stoppers in the history of the game. He's now only a bit above average. Not one of the best, not even particularly good. Literally just a bit above average. It's been one of the most clear and obvious declines that I can remember.

His best ended at the 2018 World Cup where he absolutely shit the bed for Spain, and he never came close to recovering from that in the five years since.
He was also howler-proof for a few years in his prime. He always had weaker areas of his game, but very very he rarely made eye-catching mistakes, he wasn't dropping absolute howlers like he's done against Brentford, Everton, West Ham this season off the top of my head.

dpansheth

his distribution & command of the area was really good. impressive in a final.

croadyman

No chance we'll go for him. Pretty sure he was dropped by ETH at Ajax and they fell out. Also, didn't he get banned for drugs at one stage? Was out for quite a while.
Yeah I can't see it happening with the history

Stadjer

I believe that he claimed to have taken his wife her diet pils by accident.

Ajax decided to keep paying his wages during the ban eventhough they didnt have to do that. They hoped (and expected) that Onana would return that loyality by signing a new (and even improved) deal. Onana didnt sign a new deal and wanted to leave for free. That turned the fans against him. Some of them didnt want Onana to play for them anymore if i remember correctly. They would rather see ancient Stekeleburg or Pasveer play at that time. Van der Sar, who was a director at that time, also told the media he was dissapointed in Onana.

Dont think ETH himself ever really said anything about the situation. I dont think ETH and Onana had a falling out... or atleast not public.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Massively over rated goalkeeper who is also a drugs cheat.
No thanks.

KD6-3.7

He most definitely wouldn't come here to compete with De Gea
There wouldn’t even remotely be a competition between the two. But potentially having a £200K a week GK sitting on the bench might make some wary of joining us thinking there could be club pressure to play him over someone better.

Status
Not open for further replies.