André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I've never watched him closely (why would anyone watch a GK tbh) but some of the videos of him coming out into defence/midfield look horrific! and as soon as one of those goes wrong at Old Trafford he will be crucified by the media.

Gives me Fabien Barthez vibes...could go badly wrong.
Nah these days with Allison, Ederson and Neuer around, that kind of stuff is shrugged off by people. Those three have normalised that kind of behaviour because they played in the very best teams around and sweeper keeper is in style now.

Compared to the Barthez days 20 years ago when it seemed insane.

Highfather_24

Would be an amazing signing at 40-45M.

Would completely transform our play, this guy is a baller.

He seems more confident than Costa, and the eye test says his on the ball ability is a league above.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

Would be the signing I would be most excited about if our new signings are : Onana, Diasi, Rabiot, Mount and Hojlund.

mctrials23

Well this sounds like it could be great or it could be awful. Honestly as long as we don't buy Pickford I am happy enough.

romufc

I've never watched him closely (why would anyone watch a GK tbh) but some of the videos of him coming out into defence/midfield look horrific! and as soon as one of those goes wrong at Old Trafford he will be crucified by the media.

Gives me Fabien Barthez vibes...could go badly wrong.
It will take some getting used to I tell you that now.

I was watching the CL final and I was scared watching him play... then we got linked with him.

Some of the risks he takes will be costly to us but I guess you have to take 2/3 mistakes a season if you want to play that way.. we have seen Allisson, Ederson make those mistakes too.

jeronimo

Not sure, if he really is the upgrade we need.
But would be typical United - pay 40-50m for a player who you could have signed for free one year ago. Why didn‘t Ten Hag bring him along with him, if he rates him so highly…?

Rolaholic

They're apparently willing to accept installments which would be more than fair after how long it took them to pay for Lukaku

RuudTom83

It will take some getting used to I tell you that now.

I was watching the CL final and I was scared watching him play... then we got linked with him.

Some of the risks he takes will be costly to us but I guess you have to take 2/3 mistakes a season if you want to play that way.. we have seen Allisson, Ederson make those mistakes too.
True...all I will add is that (maybe its my bias) but United players do seem to get absolutely hammered for mistakes that you see other teams making every weekend that go unnoticed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Going from a keeper who never leaves his line to one that is never on it will take some getting used to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
United are cooking!

Mount by the end of the month, Onana by the end of the month :drool:

Let's go all out for Kane too, feck it!
Great to see some actual positivity. :lol:

If we sign these 2 in the coming weeks then full credit to Murtough et al.

redshaw

I'm sure he'll get caught out a few times and adjust but overall he'll be worth it. He also said in the past he wants to play in the PL.

If you watch his Inter league games he's more restrained.

Leg-End

Going from a keeper who never leaves his line to one that is never on it will take some getting used to.
It really will, I don't think I'm ready for how different it's going to look. A decade of a keeper rooted to his line to the complete opposite, we are in for an adjustment.

sugar_kane

What's he like on corners/crosses? I've heard a lot about his playing out from the back being strong but we also need a keeper who isn't terrified to come off his line and catch the ball as well.

jamesjimmybyrondean

With DDG's contract expiring end of the month so hopefully this will be done fast unless we want to start preseason without a first team keeper. I imagine ETH would also want to get this done before preseason so the team can get used to playing with a ball playing keeper

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah this one is happening. Lots of reports coming out now that we’re making moves

Rolaholic

What's he like on corners/crosses? I've heard a lot about his playing out from the back being strong but we also need a keeper who isn't terrified to come off his line and catch the ball as well.
That's actually one of his biggest strengths, a keeper with his excellent command of the box is something we haven't had in a decade.

He's a well rounded keeper. A good shot stopper, sweeper, ball playing GK(short and long), he can command his box as well and very tall. He has mistakes in him naturally because he's very ambitious with his playing style but his pros outweigh the cons for me.

Judas

Open to offers
With this sort of keeper of course there will be some howlers because with this sort of style risks are being taken constantly, but the positives totally outweigh the negatives for me.

romufc

True...all I will add is that (maybe its my bias) but United players do seem to get absolutely hammered for mistakes that you see other teams making every weekend that go unnoticed.
It's not bias though.. Look at all those Maguire comps that go around everytime we conceded a goal.. in reality VVD made more mistakes this season that Maguire did last. But he is still the best CB in the league.

Look at Antony, the criticism he gets and there are others in the league who get none.

Reynoldo

With this sort of keeper of course there will be some howlers because with this sort of style risks are being taken constantly, but the positives totally outweigh the negatives for me.
Definitely! And we already have howlers from our current keeper and defenders anyway so the net result might not be much different while the positives to our play will be exponential.

cyberman

It’s because we don’t score enough so every mistake is over analysed simply because of the impact it has in our games.
Plus people like to shit on us. You see it with the tackles that every other team gets away with but when we’re penalised it’s “ I can see why it’s given”
It’s all very subtle

Stan Jefferson

Not sure, if he really is the upgrade we need.
But would be typical United - pay 40-50m for a player who you could have signed for free one year ago. Why didn‘t Ten Hag bring him along with him, if he rates him so highly…?
Because he'd already agreed to join inter in January 2022 and we weren't actually in the market for a keeper then.

Rolaholic

Because he'd already agreed to join inter in January 2022 and we weren't actually in the market for a keeper then.
You know that context isn't allowed in the transfer forum right? :lol:

Even Pep and Klopp went their first full seasons with the likes of Joe Hart and Lloris Karius/Mignolet before getting their guys at the no.1

Kag

I want a goalkeeper more now than any other position.

Get this done and juggle the change left over elsewhere.

klayton88

What is he on at Inter p/w and what is a good figure for us to offer him?

Traub

Wait until he has a brainfart resulting in a goal. Pandemonium in the match day thread.

Hoof the ball

Onana plays higher
Where De Gea is terrified
Onana plays higher
Onana plays higher
Onana plays higher

Onana na na na na na na na na naaaa na

Status
Not open for further replies.