André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

He was still pulling off worldie saves last season to be fair, but more and more mistakes crept into his game - which may have been a result of him knowing his time at the club was coming to an end.
He still made some worldie saves but for atleast 3 or 4 seasons now he has let in absolute howlers as well

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
People will soon realise De Gea has been holding us back for 10 years with his lack of authority in the box as much as anything. It’ll be eye opening for many.

red.knight

I don't want to defend twitter shite, but they were adamant they were big days for the deal, and yesterday its become blatantly obvious that this will happen....so?
Romano claimed Onana ate his last supper yesterday. Lets hope the club finalise the transfer today.

TsuWave

I am convinced we will finally sign Onana but Romano and co were so adamant this transfer will be done Wednesday/Thursday.
He said wed/thursday were crucial days for the deal - and yesterday it was widely reported the transfer moved to final stages. That's accurate from a journalistic POV unless you have unrealistic expectations of journalists.

gajender

People will soon realise De Gea has been holding us back for 10 years with his lack of authority in the box as much as anything. It’ll be eye opening for many.
Most would come to Same conclusion if Onana Succeed here but there would still be Some De Gea fanatics who would continue to argue otherwise and would be extra critical probably downright petty to downplay Onana's performances and his role in evolution of this Team and god forbids if he fails then they would have a field day .

red.knight

He said wed/thursday were crucial days for the deal - and yesterday it was widely reported the transfer moved to final stages. That's accurate from a journalistic POV unless you have unrealistic expectations of journalists.
I hope we seal his transfer before USA pre-season tour. Romano says €50m plus €5m in add-ons. Apparently Inter were originally asking for €60m so looks like upfront payment saving of €10m which will help with FFP. Just waiting on the ‘Here we go!’ now. Exciting signing. Will transform how we play out from the back and build attacks.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was still pulling off worldie saves last season to be fair, but more and more mistakes crept into his game - which may have been a result of him knowing his time at the club was coming to an end.
All decent keepers pull off the occasional save that people consider amazing. You only have to look at how often we bemoan about the opposition keeper having a great game against us where they pull of a couple of great saves. I was actually taking note of this in the last month or two of the season and in the comfortably majority of them the opposition keeper made better saves than De Gea did. Obviously we're normally the better team so the other keeper got more opportunities to make those saves, but it still showed that he's hardly having to keep us in games like he once did.

De Gea still does the true 'world class' save a bit more than average, but not that much more. Nowhere near as much as he once did or that a lot of people make out he still does.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
OK, if he signs in the next couple of days, its proof they know what's going on.

Let me add this
Manchester United will complete the signing of Andre Onana by Wednesday 19 July 2023 at 3pm Uk time. This is according to redcafe poster red.knight ;)
It's not though is it, you're basing it off the links we have that journalists confirmed.

All shots against him last season.
Probably 2 you would call real mistakes, maybe another couple you'd hope he could do better. About standard for a keeper at this level.

One thing is we are going to need to teach him to hold on to the ball better. I had not noticed that before from watching him in games.

Bertie Wooster

All shots against him last season.
Going off all the clips available, and the 'eye test' over the years, I'd say Onana is an agile keeper capable of making some good reactionary saves, but his handling is only OK and he isn't a big physical presence in goal when dealing with things like one on ones.

So, in terms of shot saving, I'd say he's just about average really and nothing that would stand out as elite quality. What puts him closer to that level is his ability with the ball at his feet, his quick releases with throws, and his vision to spot free teammates and help start attacks, etc. That, combined with average 'old school' keeper attributes, puts him well above average overall.

Had De Gea still been top level in his shot saving ability and consistency, then it would be a close battle as to what we're losing and what we're gaining. As it is, with De Gea dropping down to only being pretty average as well in terms of the consistency of his shot stopping, then I'd say we might not be gaining much in regards to that, but we're not losing as much as we would have been either, and hopefully we'll be gaining plenty with Onana's ability on the ball and improved distribution.

Blood Mage

10 years is a bit of a fecking stretch. The last four years maybe.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Going off all the clips available, and the 'eye test' over the years, I'd say Onana is an agile keeper capable of making some good reactionary saves, but his handling is only OK and he isn't a big physical presence in goal when dealing with things like one on ones.

So, in terms of shot saving, I'd say he's just about average really and nothing that would stand out as elite quality. What puts him closer to that level is his ability with the ball at his feet, his quick releases with throws, and his vision to spot free teammates and help start attacks, etc. That, combined with average 'old school' keeper attributes, puts him well above average overall.

Had De Gea still been top level in his shot saving ability and consistency, then it would be a close battle as to what we're losing and what we're gaining. As it is, with De Gea dropping down to only being pretty average as well in terms of the consistency of his shot stopping, then I'd say we might not be gaining much in regards to that, but we're not losing as much as we would have been either, and hopefully we'll be gaining plenty with Onana's ability on the ball and improved distribution.
I'd say you're wrong about his one on one ability. It was probably what impressed me most in his first seasons at Ajax.

Also in terms of shot saving, he was consistently (towards the) top of the stats in the CL both at Ajax and I believe at Inter this season as well.

Bondi77

How much money do we have left now? Remember to check down the back of the sofa. And in trouser pockets. Every now and again I discover a washed tenner in there.
I stopped money laundering years ago

BluesJr

10 years is a bit of a fecking stretch. The last four years maybe.
Nope. He’s always put us under pressure because of his timidness and lack of all round game. Amazing shot stopper yes, but if you look back you’ll see him costing us time and time again through a lack of command, coming for crosses, forcing our defenders to defend so deep etc.

Bertie Wooster

I'd say you're wrong about his one on one ability. It was probably what impressed me most in his first seasons at Ajax.

Also in terms of shot saving, he was consistently (towards the) top of the stats in the CL both at Ajax and I believe at Inter this season as well.
That's good to hear. :)

Revan

Assumptionman
As much as I hate them he’s one of the best out there
He is the total package. Arguably the best shot stopper in the world (albeit not as good as De Gea at his best), one of the best in passing the ball, and very good at crosses.

Since Neuer/De Gea/Oblak regressed, Alisson has been the best keeper in the world. And even at their peak, only Neuer has been better.

Van Der Sar was never an elite shot stopper but everything else he was top 2 or 3 in the world. As long as your shot stopping is respectable i don't think its a big focus in the modern game.

Superunknown

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

I just can't get you out of my head
Boy, your sweepin’ is all I think about
Boy, its more than I dare to think about

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

(to the tune of can’ get you out of my head by Kylie)
*gyrates around the living room*

Bertie Wooster

Van Der Sar was never an elite shot stopper but everything else he was top 2 or 3 in the world. As long as your shot stopping is respectable i don't think its a big focus in the modern game.
Yeah, true.

Just pointing out in my assessment of both that I don't think it's much of an upgrade in terms of shot stopping / handling - though, because of De Gea's regression in those areas, it's not a downgrade either. And with all the pluses that Onana brings to the table then I think, overall, it's a significant upgrade - especially in order to play ETH's preferred style of play.

Irrational.

My unpopular opinion is that he’s a bit too adventurous for a keeper and it’ll probably cost us in a few games this season.

I hope not, but I’ve a feeling that he’ll do similar to Kepa Avadakedavra.

Red00012

My unpopular opinion is that he’s a bit too adventurous for a keeper and it’ll probably cost us in a few games this season.

And there’s your I’m gonna judge off a 3minute YouTube clip right there

Ahmer Baig

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

Boy, your sweepin’ is all I think about
Boy, its more than I dare to think about

Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na
Oh-na-na-na-na-na-na

(to the tune of can’ get you out of my head by Kylie)
Thank you. Now this song is stuck in my head.

BluesJr

Doesn't matter because he'll elevate our game to a whole new level and we'll win/score goals we wouldn't with Mr. Timid in the past.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Top unpopular opinion about Onana:
1. Too brave / adventurous
2. Why didnt we sign him for free
3. Ten Hag trusts him and has worked with him before
4. He must have agreed to join because De Gea left

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah, true.

Just pointing out in my assessment of both that I don't think it's much of an upgrade in terms of shot stopping / handling - though, because of De Gea's regression in those areas, it's not a downgrade either. And with all the pluses that Onana brings to the table then I think, overall, it's a significant upgrade - especially in order to play ETH's preferred style of play.
That's a sensible view and one that I share. I don't think there's evidence of Onana being an top shotstopper but doesn't seem there are many of those available, so we're getting an all-round package with strong distribution skills. What sounds like a decent deal at quoted fees. I also expect this to be a significant upgrade on DDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.