André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

If he’s not as good of a shot stopper as Dave as so many of you claim then so many of you are going to hate him fast.

I was told on here that De Gea is not a great shot stopper yet practically every single win last season was by 1 goal with him making a late save to save us.
I don't think that's true.

I only remember him making late saves in the WHU game at home. The defence did very well limiting the opponents to very few shots on target, especially after going ahead.

Highfather_24

If he’s not as good of a shot stopper as Dave as so many of you claim then so many of you are going to hate him fast.

I was told on here that De Gea is not a great shot stopper yet practically every single win last season was by 1 goal with him making a late save to save us.
Cool story, but stats say he is a better shot stopper than current De Gea by a healthy margin, so we will be fine.

Alfie092

Worried about this signing, he isn't as good of a shotstopper as DDG and DDG also knew the league well. So Onana needs time to settle in, think it could take him like 2 seasons to adjust and at this point he will be almost 30. And when you hit 30 your body naturally declines, so we won't ever get the best out of Onana.

Should have signed him on a free last season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Worried about this signing, he isn't as good of a shotstopper as DDG and DDG also knew the league well. So Onana needs time to settle in, think it could take him like 2 seasons to adjust and at this point he will be almost 30. And when you hit 30 your body naturally declines, so we won't ever get the best out of Onana.

He'll be fine, he's had some good practice playing against the poverty players that are in the Champions League.

RedWilliam

Haha. TWO SEASONS to adjust?? Please, he's not Sancho. And 27 (or even 30) is no age for a keeper.
He'll be great and transform us. Can't wait! Great signing!

alexthelion

:boring:

haha. Well played:p

Took him 5 minutes to adjust to Serie A mind, and less than that to adjust to his new CL side.

miked99

I just can't get excited about this at all.

Hope he proves me wrong though!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
worried about his fee when we could have had him for free 2 years ago when we weren’t in the market for a keeper and also about his weekly trips to AFCON

Real Name

We wont turn back and suddenly he wont have a resell value anymore.

Munkehboi

Pretty much like DDG then. His first season or so, he couldn't even claim a cross without dropping it. GK also tend to have much more longevity at the top than outfield players so I wouldn't worry about that. The question is about commitment and professionalism.

Still, for the money paid I think it's a good deal for us.

gajender

Its hard to get a read on Who is taking piss and who is actually serious in this Thread .

Syphon Wallet

Good keeper, but he has a full time job already, organising the AFCON competition.
Why are we paying 43 million in pounds as well, we could just have sent them the same amount in euros, they don't use pounds over there ffs.
Our negotiating team never learns.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It does make sense.

I'm worried about the singing but if we was always going to sign Onana, why not sign him last season on a free? Would have potentially settled in by now.
Please educate yourself.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why are we wasting £50m on this guy when we could have bought Caicedo for half that two years ago?

Rake

I'm worried that we are paying a fee when we could have stolen him from his parents when he was a baby. Severe oversight from the club. Not the first time either.

OrcaFat

Of course, this is not a simple question of shot stopping. Those late saves Dave made were appreciated. But:

How many of the those saves would not have been made by the average top level keeper?

How many of those saves would Onana have actually had to make if he was in nets? These late bouts of pressure we always seem to come under are linked to our lack of quality in possession, particularly at the keeper’s feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.