Andre Gomes

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have been watching him since Barca. Though underwhelming there, he has grown on me now.
Has been decent for Everton. Not his problem that players with him cant use their brain.

Very tidy player and should be available for 35-40m

Do you think he can make it at united ?

Litch

Nice player and the kind that if you already have a great nucleus of players, is a good edition to your squad. We haven't.....

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
No. Good technical qualities but Everton is his level.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Quite worrying how his form went to shit as did Everton's for a good few months

Having flopped at Barca and didn't do great for Portugal in his first real international tournament I'm thinking he has his level and it's higher than what we aspire (urgh) to be

Ekeke

Talented but not very consistent. Could make it at United or he could fail if he never improves that consistency.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Is Everton his level or can he step it up at somewhere like Spurs? I havnt watched him overly much but surely he has to be better than anyone Spurs currently have in midfield?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably the only other central midfielder beyond Paul Pogba in the league who blends physical stature and technical dribbling abilities from central midfield. Not sure he has too much else, though.

Spurs as mentioned above would be a nice move. He’d fill a very blatant Mousa Dembele shaped hole in their midfield. Not sure if they can afford him, though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is Everton his level or can he step it up at somewhere like Spurs? I havnt watched him overly much but surely he has to be better than anyone Spurs currently have in midfield?
He’s very good for our side and it helps that we have a balanced midefield that he can thrive in. Gueye beside him sweeping up everything allows him to dictate from as deep as he would like to as far forward as he’d like. He’s basically got a bit of a free playmaking role in our side because of the players we have and when he’s on form it’s great. The bad thing though which we were lucky with today is that if he plays poorly it can leave us exposed and despite how well he played today he had a dodgy first five minutes. He would do well at someone like Chelsea beside Kante/another team with a strong DM that is giving him a bit of freedom but he’s a very well rounded footballer.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Everton is his level but he could have been a squad option for Barcelona. Same for Digne, Paco Alcacer and Deulofeu despite the incessant abuse and scapegoating they were victims of.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton is his level but he could have been a squad option for Barcelona. Same for Digne, Paco Alcacer and Deulofeu despite the incessant abuse and scapegoating they were victims of.
Digne has been our best player this season. He’s a CL level player and unfortunate that Robertson is playing so well that he won’t get a look in at the PL team of the season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I like him. I've thought for a long time he'd thrive in a deeper role but, unfortunately for him, Barcelona had the best in Busquets.

He has one standout quality in that his ball retention under pressure is class and, imo, we need more players with this quality. Aside from that, though, the rest of his game is lacking/inconsistent. I'd be for taking a punt on him in the hopes that - with getting consistent game time in a deeper role - he comes good because I do see talent there, but it'd be a big risk. One we're admittedly not in the best position to take right now.

Still, with Herrera sitting and Pogba roaming about, I think he'd add a nice balance. I still wanna see Fred in said role with them, too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's a hit and miss player. Never thought he was right standard at all for Barca and so it proved.

His Everton form has been similar to his time at Valencia. When all is going well he stands out. When team hits bad run of form he disappears.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He’s very good for our side and it helps that we have a balanced midefield that he can thrive in. Gueye beside him sweeping up everything allows him to dictate from as deep as he would like to as far forward as he’d like. He’s basically got a bit of a free playmaking role in our side because of the players we have and when he’s on form it’s great. The bad thing though which we were lucky with today is that if he plays poorly it can leave us exposed and despite how well he played today he had a dodgy first five minutes. He would do well at someone like Chelsea beside Kante/another team with a strong DM that is giving him a bit of freedom but he’s a very well rounded footballer.
Thing I don't get though with Everton is you've had that midfield axis for pretty much all of the season. Sure Tom Davies and even Schnderlein have had the odd start but generally from September until now it's been Gana-Gomes-Glyfi as the midfield axis.

Maybe Gana was a little depressed from not getting his PSG move and Glyfi isn't the best technical number 10 but that isn't a bad midfield at all so Everton having a terrible three months in the league really bemuses me considering how well you're now playing again home and away.

wr8_utd

:'(
Sometimes these players aren't happy with being squad options. With Suarez never being rested, Alcacer only found himself playing when Suarez was injured/banned or for a game or in the CDR. Digne is never going to get games ahead of Alba either so you can't blame these players, who are good players, wanting to and get games.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Digne has been our best player this season. He’s a CL level player and unfortunate that Robertson is playing so well that he won’t get a look in at the PL team of the season.
I always see people talking so much shit about Digne in the match threads but he's looked great almost every time I've seen him. Glad to know he actually is doing well, I became a fan of his since I saw him for France's youth sides and thought he looked fantastic.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Sometimes these players aren't happy with being squad options. With Suarez never being rested, Alcacer only found himself playing when Suarez was injured/banned or for a game or in the CDR. Digne is never going to get games ahead of Alba either so you can't blame these players, who are good players, wanting to and get games.
They didn't leave because they wanted to be starters at Barcelona, they left because either Barcelona wanted them to go or they weren't playing at all. They weren't thought of as good players looking for game time the way you're describing them now, they were criticized and bashed by everyone who talked about it since at the time Madrid had the likes of Danilo, Kovacic, Lucas Vasquez and Morata on the bench who apparently were the best thing since sliced bread at the time.

Now both Alba and Suarez have been overplayed. Digne would have been perfect to rotate with Alba and Paco Alcacer would have been great to rotate with Suarez instead of loaning Kevin Prince Boateng. No need to spend 40 million on Malcom with Deulofeu around either...

The treatment of Andre Gomes at Barcelona was a complete disgrace, the guy geniunely got depressed about it. Came out saying he didn't even enjoy playing football anymore and that it got to a point where he wouldn't even leave the house. It's been great to watch him succeed at Everton, fully deserved.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...nterview-about-his-current-situation-20180312

stepic

I’ve not seen Everton play much but he was good today for them. Him and Bernard linked up quite well.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Ugh, no. It's the kind of player that Wegner signed after 2006, with great expectations...and bitter results.

Good enough for the likes of Valencia, Leverkusen and possibly the pre-Bottletino Spurs, but not for the current Top Elite clubs.

If Man Utd wants to be back on top, Barça's rejects and Everton's decent players are not the way.

Plus, mentally he seems incredibly weak.

Charles Miller

I think he is an excellent player. The problem these days is that football fans are following every step of players so if they fail at some big club people will think they "dont have level".

It was different in the past. I remember when Cafu went to europe, then returned to some small club in Brazil to be signed by Rome in the next season. It was common. If it was today people would say that he failed in europe and would never give him another chance.

Also Real Madrid and Barcelona have this power of destroying the confidence of players when they fail to make a good impression in their first games. Illarramendi looked like would be the one of the best midfielders in the world before moving to Real Madrid. Look at him now.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The English game/style is good for him. I like how aggressive he can be. Big dude.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he is an excellent player. The problem these days is that football fans are following every step of players so if they fail at some big club people will think they "dont have level".

It was different in the past. I remember when Cafu went to europe, then returned to some small club in Brazil to be signed by Rome in the next season. It was common. If it was today people would say that he failed in europe and would never give him another chance.

Also Real Madrid and Barcelona have this power of destroying the confidence of players when they fail to make a good impression in their first games. Illarramendi looked like would be the one of the best midfielders in the world before moving to Real Madrid. Look at him now.
I really can't see the excellence. He's fairly physical and has pretty good technique. But his dribbling, close control, passing, acceleration, shooting etc all strike me as nothing out of the ordinary. I don't see the point of him being signed by a team aspiring to be champions/contenders for a top league.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Think he is a player who looks better with better players around him. Might be an improvement on Herrera.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really hope you are still saying this after we have played Everton!!!
I would hope so too. Anybody is capable of performing well in the odd game against a better side. I recall Fellaini bullying the life out of us.

But from what I've seen, Gomes really doesn't seem to be kind of player we should yearn for. Maybe he'll flourish at Everton and reach new heights but I've not seen such qualities from him.

Bestofthebest

I would hope so too. Anybody is capable of performing well in the odd game against a better side. I recall Fellaini bullying the life out of us.

But from what I've seen, Gomes really doesn't seem to be kind of player we should yearn for. Maybe he'll flourish at Everton and reach new heights but I've not seen such qualities from him.
I am not saying we should yearn for him but I do think it condescending to imply that he is good enough for Everton but not for us. I am thinking he could be even better for us and is already better than some we have, very versatile too. Quite ingenious of you to mention "anyone is capable of performing well in the odd game against a better side" but I also find anyone is capable of performing against a weaker side as well. Seen that happen a few times lately.

Wallez

Would be a decent player for us, but our main problem is that we have an entire squad of decent players atm. We need pure class, and I think Andre Gomes would be a step sidewards rather than forwards. However, a midfield trio of Rabiot behind Pogba and Andre Gomes would be beautiful in possession.

wr8_utd

:'(
They didn't leave because they wanted to be starters at Barcelona, they left because either Barcelona wanted them to go or they weren't playing at all. They weren't thought of as good players looking for game time the way you're describing them now, they were criticized and bashed by everyone who talked about it since at the time Madrid had the likes of Danilo, Kovacic, Lucas Vasquez and Morata on the bench who apparently were the best thing since sliced bread at the time.

Now both Alba and Suarez have been overplayed. Digne would have been perfect to rotate with Alba and Paco Alcacer would have been great to rotate with Suarez instead of loaning Kevin Prince Boateng. No need to spend 40 million on Malcom with Deulofeu around either...

The treatment of Andre Gomes at Barcelona was a complete disgrace, the guy geniunely got depressed about it. Came out saying he didn't even enjoy playing football anymore and that it got to a point where he wouldn't even leave the house. It's been great to watch him succeed at Everton, fully deserved.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...nterview-about-his-current-situation-20180312
This bit I agree with. What happened with him at Barca was horrific not something you'd wish on any player. Towards the end of this time there though, after he came about how he was depressed, he'd get an amazing ovation when he'd play at the Nou Camp. It doesn't make up for the abuse he got earlier but it was a nice tough.

As for Alba and Suarez being overplayed I think the problem is the gulf between them and their replacements at that point was huge. An understudy to Alba is going to play very very few games through the season as he's probably among the first 3-4 names on the teamsheet. Alcacer I remember would often be used on the wing when he did play and he's another one you can't expect to want to stay as just a bench option when he's good enough to start elsewhere. It's very difficult to Barca to get a good enough striker who is going to be fine with starting maybe 5-6 games a season because Valverde seems to love the guy enough to play him no matter how off form he is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thing I don't get though with Everton is you've had that midfield axis for pretty much all of the season. Sure Tom Davies and even Schnderlein have had the odd start but generally from September until now it's been Gana-Gomes-Glyfi as the midfield axis.

Maybe Gana was a little depressed from not getting his PSG move and Glyfi isn't the best technical number 10 but that isn't a bad midfield at all so Everton having a terrible three months in the league really bemuses me considering how well you're now playing again home and away.
We just had an absolutely trash few months where nobody was in form. Pickford was dropping clangers everywhere, Walcott was being played and providing nothing, Calvert-Lewin was just about to get his run of games etc. Didn't help either with Gomes that he was being played every week because we had injuries and Silva didn't trust anyone else so he was bloody nackered. It's just one of those bizarre periods where it looks and feels bad at the time but when rationalised there is a reason behind it all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I always see people talking so much shit about Digne in the match threads but he's looked great almost every time I've seen him. Glad to know he actually is doing well, I became a fan of his since I saw him for France's youth sides and thought he looked fantastic.
He's very good. Don't want to override this thread too much but i'm sure he was either leading or still is leading the chances created stat for defenders (obviously not everything is about stats) but you can tell why when you watch him play and his decision making. He won't just aimlessly keep crossing it but is good at cutting it back or playing inside the opposing box/half.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Was beyond terrible at Barcelona. Watched him all the time as i watch most Barcelona games. Would lose the ball and make bad decisions all the time. I understand why the fans didn't like him. He's looked better at Everton and would make a decent squad player for you guys tbh

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Technically he was always more than decent but he didn't handle the pressure well at Barca if I remember correctly. Was very nervous and made mistakes that somebody who is as comfortable on the ball as he is normally wouldn't commit. So the question remains if he's "tough" enough for a top club. However, even if he matured in that area he's got no real standout qualities that you usually want from a CM in a club that has the objective of winning titles.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Was beyond terrible at Barcelona. Watched him all the time as i watch most Barcelona games. Would lose the ball and make bad decisions all the time. I understand why the fans didn't like him. He's looked better at Everton and would make a decent squad player for you guys tbh
Nah. If he wasn’t good enough for Barca then he’s not good enough for United. We need to shift away from mediocrity not carry on with it!