Andre Marriner

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Was a penalty, but it came from a corner that wasn't a corner, which itself came from a free kick that wasn't a free kick.

Mmm-Qatarian

Genuinely think Ten Hag needs to start making a big of a scene the way Klopp does.

I respect his more dignified approach but we're getting completely shagged by the refs this season. He needs to put the fear of God into them for these crap calls.

Ralaks

Lack of consistency is the worst for sure. How on earth is that a free kick when the line he has been having all game is completely different.

Was a significantly bigger foul on Antony and Rashford in the other end, but maybe that is on the blind linesman

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He had no choice in giving that pen. Can't blame him for that one to be fair.

Lecland07

With the amount of dives that Brighton made, a player really could have been sent off. That freekick at the end was absolutely awful. He was right next to it, also.

Felt like the narrative was with Brighton today. Commentary, punditry, refereeing all seemed to be directing towards a Brighton win.

Stactix

With the amount of dives that Brighton made, a player really could have been sent off. That freekick at the end was absolutely awful. He was right next to it, also.

Felt like the narrative was with Brighton today. Commentary, punditry, refereeing all seemed to be directing towards a Brighton win.
The love in for Brighton was tedious.

BerryBerryShrew

I'm quite perplexed by some of the takes in here. The pen was a definite pen. He/VAR got the yellow to Antony right when other refs would have been swayed to show a red. He/VAR got the no-pen decision with AWB and Mitoma right. And he should definitely have sent off Cas for a second yellow but didn't.

Other than not booking Caicedo for his challenge on Rashford in the first half, I don't have any complaints. If anything, due to Cas being braindead, we got away lightly.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's a really crap referee, awful performance. Was a penalty, but so many mistakes made prior.

Phil

He had zero control and consistency today but what else is new

Stactix

I'm quite perplexed by some of the takes in here. The pen was a definite pen. He/VAR got the yellow to Antony right when other refs would have been swayed to show a red. He/VAR got the no-pen decision with AWB and Mitoma right. And he should definitely have sent off Cas for a second yellow but didn't.

Other than not booking Caicedo for his challenge on Rashford in the first half, I don't have any complaints. If anything, due to Cas being braindead, we got away lightly.
I mean, if he got his decisions right it would never have been a pen.. obvious dive which led to it.

flappyjay

The ref threads for me sometimes, especially after a loss seem to be people venting out their feelings.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I mean, if he got his decisions right it would never have been a pen.. obvious dive which led to it.
It was soft but typical home team gets that sort of decision late on. Didn't see a replay if it should've been a goal kick so that would be more frustrating if that was incorrect.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We were very lucky to finish with 11 men tbf, both Casemiro and Antony were lucky to be on the pitch.
After his yellow I can only remember one foul from Casemiro which was a very straightforward foul and not a yellow by any stretch.

pascell

After his yellow I can only remember one foul from Casemiro which was a very straightforward foul and not a yellow by any stretch.
He dove into the tackle and prevented the Brighton player entering our box, shoe on the other foot we'd have been asking the ref for the 2nd yellow.

Heinzesight

We were very lucky to finish with 11 men tbf, both Casemiro and Antony were lucky to be on the pitch.
Really? ‘Very lucky’. You think Antony should have had a red for that foul? Casemiro was walking a tightrope, maybe made three fouls all game, but come on, seems you were swayed by the Brighton crowd screaming every time he even looked at someone. What about Caceido who could have had two yellows?

Anustart89

He had zero control and consistency today but what else is new
I reckon he got the game exactly where he wanted it.

If he had been more honest in his refereeing we wouldn't have had many of the incidents spoken about in this thread. For example, if he thinks the Enciso incident is a foul (which it isn't), then surely the incident with Antony is much more of a foul. Since he doesn't call that as a foul (after ignoring another foul on Rashford just before that), a melee ensues and all of a sudden nobody's talking about why the United players are frustrated, just how unprofessional they are. (NB, I do think that Antony could've been sent off for the kick alone, and his kick essentially went unpunished since he and Dunk got a booking each, I've posted that in the refereeing quirks thread as well)

Casemiro's booked for a foul and then makes one more foul and everyone's screaming for him to get sent off, including five Brighton players surrounding the ref to get him sent off. You just know that had Casemiro made the most innocuous foul during the last 30 minutes of the game, he would've been off due to pressure from their players. Meanwhile, Gilmour just grabs the arm of a United player as he's bypassed right down the middle of the pitch and the ref gives no yellow, which means he's free to do it again.

There were probably 20 incidents across the game where United didn't get fouls for the same thing that Brighton got fouls, and where United players were booked for things Brighton got away with. They were allowed to break up promising attacks multiple times without bookings. Mitoma dived at least twice to try to win a pen and deliberately handled the ball to stop us attacking after he thought he had been fouled, yet everyone's wondering why Rashford wasn't booked for diving.

The penalty in itself I have no complaints with, apart from the fact that we should've been on the attack rather than them if not for the foul that Marriner made up for reasons only known to him. His arm was up way above his head and he wasn't dragged back to force his arm into that position, but leading up to that were numerous incidents where he blatantly favoured Brighton, which allowed them to play their game, allowed them not to worry disrupting our attacks, and made our players lose focus due to frustration.

Heinzesight

If he had been more honest in his refereeing we wouldn't have had many of the incidents spoken about in this thread. For example, if he thinks the Enciso incident is a foul (which it isn't), then surely the incident with Antony is much more of a foul. Since he doesn't call that as a foul (after ignoring another foul on Rashford just before that), a melee ensues and all of a sudden nobody's talking about why the United players are frustrated, just how unprofessional they are.

Casemiro's booked for a foul and then makes one more foul and everyone's screaming for him to get sent off, including five Brighton players surrounding the ref to get him sent off. You just know that had Casemiro made the most innocuous foul during the last 30 minutes of the game, he would've been off due to pressure from their players. Meanwhile, Gilmour just grabs the arm of a United player as he's bypassed right down the middle of the pitch and the ref gives no yellow, which means he's free to do it again.

There were probably 20 incidents across the game where United didn't get fouls for the same thing that Brighton got fouls, and where United players were booked for things Brighton got away with. They were allowed to break up promising attacks multiple times without bookings. Mitoma dived at least twice to try to win a pen and deliberately handled the ball to stop us attacking after he thought he had been fouled, yet everyone's wondering why Rashford wasn't booked for diving.

The penalty in itself I have no complaints with, apart from the fact that we should've been on the attack rather than them if not for the foul that Marriner made up for reasons only known to him. His arm was up way above his head and he wasn't dragged back to force his arm into that position, but leading up to that were numerous incidents where he blatantly favoured Brighton, which allowed them to play their game, allowed them not to worry disrupting our attacks, and made our players lose focus due to frustration.
Post and a half. Bang on with all of it.

pascell

Really? ‘Very lucky’. You think Antony should have had a red for that foul? Casemiro was walking a tightrope, maybe made three fouls all game, but come on, seems you were swayed by the Brighton crowd screaming every time he even looked at someone. What about Caceido who could have had two yellows?
Yes, it was petulant and he made no attempt for the ball as he was reacting to not getting a free kick himself, he cannot keep kicking off when he doesn't get free kicks. A red card tonight and he might have learnt from his mistake.

The one on MacAllister (I think it was) after already being booked was poor from Casemiro, he was lucky and hopefully he learns from it but he dives into tackles needlessly too often and doesn't come away with the ball.

Caicedo was lucky I agree.

Stactix

If he had been more honest in his refereeing we wouldn't have had many of the incidents spoken about in this thread. For example, if he thinks the Enciso incident is a foul (which it isn't), then surely the incident with Antony is much more of a foul. Since he doesn't call that as a foul (after ignoring another foul on Rashford just before that), a melee ensues and all of a sudden nobody's talking about why the United players are frustrated, just how unprofessional they are.

100%, It's happened so many times this season. Where there might not be a major decision going against Utd but 20-30 little ones that infuriate the players... with zero mention by the commentators/pundits.

Aston Villa/Brighton in the FA cup come to mind.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He dove into the tackle and prevented the Brighton player entering our box, shoe on the other foot we'd have been asking the ref for the 2nd yellow.
We had men behind the ball, it wasn’t a tactical foul to stop a counter. It wasn’t dangerous. It’s just a foul. Stop being so dramatic.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was crap all over. So many clear fouls not given both ways, and so many given for barely any contact.

Rashford getting yanked back by his collar not being called a foul seemed to be the catalyst for Antony going apeshit. He just had no control of the game.

The penalty was stonewall, but we should've had one when Martial was completely wiped out by Dunk after he got a shot away. He just went straight through him.

Semigoodlookin

Horribly inconsistent for both teams. It has been the story of officiating all season. I think this is the worst season for refereeing I can remember.

pascell

We had men behind the ball, it wasn’t a tactical foul to stop a counter. It wasn’t dangerous. It’s just a foul. Stop being so dramatic.
He was about to enter our box, like I say, shoe on the other foot, you want the player booked and it would've been deserved, needless foul to give away and in a dangerous position.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He basically tried his hardest not to make a decision all night, it was a fecking weak reffing performance. Mitoma was diving left right and centre and received no sort of warning or caution. They pressed and fouled with impunity, he probably should have sent Casemiro and Anthony off and when he did make a decision for some of the pathetic fouls Buonanotte and Enciso bought, they were all blatant dives.

Nothing wrong with giving the pen from VAR, but he had an absolutely huge influence on the game tonight.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was about to enter our box, like I say, shoe on the other foot, you want the player booked and it would've been deserved, needless foul to give away and in a dangerous position.
Weren't the 2 cbs on the edge of the box?

It was his second foul all game, would've been a ridiculous sending off. So naturally I was expecting it.