Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was switching games between this and arsenal. Man, they were terrible. They had red card but they were already 1-0 down before the red. This season is Inter or AC Milan chance for the taken for sure.

MrEleson

De Ligt is just a bit shit aint he?

Chris Smalling is making him look like a pub level defender.
De Ligt has been one of Juve’s best players since he signed and one of the best defenders in serie A. Far from shit

hungrywing

They need Pogba...
No kidding. He'd absolutely transform them.

Let's hope and pray that there aren't any Juve fans coming here to see that we really don't want to lose him as he's totally world-class and would revitalize them and keep them at the top for at least five or six years.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
No kidding. He'd absolutely transform them.

Let's hope and pray that there aren't any Juve fans coming here to see that we really don't want to lose him as he's totally world-class and would revitalize them and keep them at the top for at least five or six years.
Too late, mate. But I actually don't want him.

SAFMUTD

This trend of top clubs appointing explayers just for the sake of it its having consequences. Juve is awful, I wouldn't be surprised if the actually dont get the title this year.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Juventus look pretty woeful in highlights from yesterday. Sarri was unfashionable, doesn't have Pirlo's style on the touchline or dress sense but he does have coaching experience and Juventus would surely be a better team if they kept him?

Other amazing thing is Ribery still going strong at 37 playing for Fiorentina.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Did he even take charge of up to 10 games in the reserves?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did he even take charge of up to 10 games in the reserves?
I don’t think he managed a single match. He was appointed U23 coach on 30 July 2020 and by 8 August 2020 he was the first team manager. :lol:

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Juve don't have anyone in midfield better than him and no this isn't sarcasm.
There is no debate about that.
But I don't want him because of the way he left the club and now he did the same with United (even if in the end he stays at United). Also because of his agent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Again, he took charge in the hardest, most unique circumstances we've ever seen, with no preseason, playing every 3 days, with longer international breaks(teams playing 3 games instead of two and coming back with 1 day to spare before games), COVID taking out players, injuries piling up, etc...

He's had a full team to work with for a total of like 3 weeks - and they looked genuinely great in those weeks. Yesterday was their 10th game in 30 days, they were mentally shot, came out flat and found themselves down a goal and a man inside 20 minutes...they didn't actually play badly in the second half despite being a man down and had every break going against them. If the ref sends off borja they probably win. If he gives the clear penalty on cristiano they probably don't lose...

They'll be as fine as fitness allows them, but it's really too early to make judgements on Pirlo

Sarri was sacked by the players by the way

MrEleson

Funny, his defending for a couple of the goals they conceded yesterday was far worse than anything Maguire gets slated with yet wonder boy gets a free pass.
He wasn't really at fault for the goals from what I saw? It was mainly his partner Bonucci next to him stinking up the place. Having such a sorry excuse of a CB partnering you never helps.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
As long as Juve stay in the CL spots, he is safe. He also got a balanced tie in the CL vs Porto. This is year 0 or full rebuilding, no need for drama.

Edit: rebuilding aimed at more progressive football for the masses and new prospective customers worldwide (if you ask me, just get Allegri back and roll out his usual 1-0s again.... but I’m just too old as a fan at 28 ffs)

Last edited:

el3mel

This was just an appointment that made no sense at all. I really don't know what Juve were planning exactly.

Won't surprise me if Allegri returned next season.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Needs to sack him, tonight.
A club of Juventus ambition cant accept this, surely?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This was just an appointment that made no sense at all. I really don't what Juve were planning exactly.

Won't surprise me if Allegri returned next season.
He was the cheapest option. He's on 1.8 mil a year which makes him the 7th most paid manager in Serie A.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Last year Sarri was sacked just after being eliminated in the CL but it will be unfair to Pirlo I think. They should give him at least another year considering the circumstances. An inexperienced manager, with no preseason, in a year with an unusual schedule where there isn't even time to train, a lot of new players on the team plus all the players out due to injuries and covid.

Don't get me wrong, this has been a failure so far, but it's hard to judge if Pirlo is a good manager or not given the circumstances. He should be given the opportunity with a proper preseason with a transfer window where he can sign a couple of players of his liking and a normal schedule IMO.

ti vu

Feel at times that Pirlo lack the attention to detail to drill the discipline into this team.

We may talk about individuals' error in the that free kick, but overall it's the lack of pragmatism that is the root cause of this. One goal from Porto would be a mountain to climb, so why didn't he add another man lying behind the wall like teams often do nowadays?

Rabiot scored a goal, but the whole game, he's very ill disciplined. Once Arthur who kept Juventus ticking for most part of the game went off for some reasons, Juventus lost their cool especially in midfield thus allowing Porto to come out. Juventus wanting that winning goal so much they fail to realize they still have better chance with penalty shoot out than conceding the goal.

Giggs' right foot

Last year Sarri was sacked just after being eliminated in the CL but it will be unfair to Pirlo I think. They should give him at least another year considering the circumstances. An inexperienced manager, with no preseason, in a year with an unusual schedule where there isn't even time to train, a lot of new players on the team plus all the players out due to injuries and covid.

Don't get me wrong, this has been a failure so far, but it's hard to judge if Pirlo is a good manager or not given the circumstances. He should be given the opportunity with a proper preseason with a transfer window where he can sign a couple of players of his liking and a normal schedule IMO.
The bolded part is basically a universal problem - not at all exclusive to Juventus. Juventus is far too big and still (though the team is not as good as it used to be) have players way too good to get knocked out to Porto and to be 10 (potentially 7) points behind in the league this late in the season.

I get you, and as a Juventus fan you probably will give Pirlo extra leeway, but can you honestly see a pattern or direction from Pirlo's Juventus? I really can't.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Feel at times that Pirlo lack the attention to detail to drill the discipline into this team.

We may talk about individuals' error in the that free kick, but overall it's the lack of pragmatism that is the root cause of this. One goal from Porto would be a mountain to climb, so why didn't he add another man lying behind the wall like teams often do nowadays?

Rabiot scored a goal, but the whole game, he's very ill disciplined. Once Arthur who kept Juventus ticking for most part of the game went off for some reasons, Juventus lost their cool especially in midfield thus allowing Porto to come out. Juventus wanting that winning goal so much they fail to realize they still have better chance with penalty shoot out than conceding the goal.
They actually created a little bit once Arthur came off though, the guy may be good at keeping possession, but if you need chances he is not your guy, and he slows play down.

ti vu

They actually created a little bit once Arthur came off though, the guy may be good at keeping possession, but if you need chances he is not your guy, and he slows play down.
I know right. The point is Juventus abandoned the midfield basic once Arthur came off. This allows Porto to push out more and more. In this type of game, pragmatism, controlling the game despite not scoring is better.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
The bolded part is basically a universal problem - not at all exclusive to Juventus. Juventus is far too big and still (though the team is not as good as it used to be) have players way too good to get knocked out to Porto and to be 10 (potentially 7) points behind in the league this late in the season.

I get you, and as a Juventus fan you probably will give Pirlo extra leeway, but can you honestly see a pattern or direction from Pirlo's Juventus? I really can't.
I agree that save from very few moments throughout the season, Juve has played mostly really bad. Still, given the circumstances, even if some of them are universal, Im not ready to say he isnt a good manager. I want to see what he can do on a normal season with at least a year of experience. I know im in the minority, but still.

Giggs' right foot

I agree that save from very few moments throughout the season, Juve has played mostly really bad. Still, given the circumstances, even if some of them are universal, Im not ready to say he isnt a good manager. I want to see what he can do on a normal season with at least a year of experience. I know im in the minority, but still.
But at the moment he hasn't proved himself a good manager - he's young still, and there's plenty of time to show what he's made of - but I do think the decision to manage Juventus was waaay too premature both on Pirlo and Juventus.

Just nine days before taking the Juventus job, he had taken charge of Juventus' reserves. He never got to manage anyone (!?!) - not even youngsters - before taking the senior job. What was the train of thought then and there? I am legitimately asking because it seems absurd to me.

To me, the recruitment of Pirlo's seems 1. arrogant (like, "hell - we'll still sin Seria A with a manager who's never managed anyone before"), and 2. lazy - hiring a guy who you nine days prior hired for the reserves - to me - doesn't look that pre-planned or well-executed.

Will be exciting to follow his managerial path the coming years :)

paulscholes18

Hopefully he can turn it around, but at the moment looking they should have gave Sarri more time.

RUCK4444

Good player doesn’t guarantee a good manager.

Please refer to the better version of Pirlo (Scholes) for verification. Bring it

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He's just simply not an accomplished coach. Yet, one might add, as of course he's only starting.
But then it's still inexplicable why Juve would hire him just like that, when surely the manager's position at such a giant and ambitious club isn't one that allows for on the job training.
My explanation would be that they were bored out of their minds.

Giggs' right foot

He's just simply not an accomplished coach. Yet, one might add, as of course he's only starting.
But then it's still inexplicable why Juve would hire him just like that, when surely the manager's position at such a giant and ambitious club isn't one that allows for on the job training.
My explanation would be that they were bored out of their minds.
I’m sure it was just like the movie Trading Places.

“Say, Agnelli... surely we would still win the league, even if we hired a manger with ZERO experience.”

“Pavel... I say we do just that. Let me cover my eyes and call up a random contact in my phone and offer him the job.”

*Agnelli cover his eyes and call a random contact from his phone. The voice in the other end goes:

“Pirlo here.”

*Agnelli and Pavel exchange a glance because the two bored aristocrats just hired the very same Pirlo nine days prior, for their reserves. Would this mission of theirs seem too obvious if they gave the job to a nine-day-reserve manager? But Pavel, being as bored as he is, whispers “just go on with it” and Agnelli offers the inexperienced Pirlo the biggest job in Italy at club level. The end.*

dpansheth

Morata has quietly had a resurgence and has been comfortably better than Dybala this year. 17 goals and 9 assists in 1971 minutes is nothing to shake a stick at. Dybala has 3 and 2 respectively in about 861 minutes.
We dodged a bullet on dybala imho

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Morata has quietly had a resurgence and has been comfortably better than Dybala this year. 17 goals and 9 assists in 1971 minutes is nothing to shake a stick at. Dybala has 3 and 2 respectively in about 861 minutes.
Watching him tonight was fecking embarrassing. Genuinely one of the most petulant displays I've ever seen.

Porto were no angels, but Jesus Christ he was acting the cnut.