Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

romufc

What? De Ligt is brilliant and has clearly shown it the past two years, when not injured or returning from injury like yesterday. Danilo has been one of the best defenders in the league this year and Cuadrado is a RWB in a 3-5-2 and the top assist man in the CL for a reason. Morata scored six important goals in the group stages, not to mention that Chiesa is one of the most in form players in Europe. You are right on two things: Digne would probably start for Juve considering Sandro's decline and all CMs apart from Arthur are Everton-level.

Was this your first Juve game of the season?
No, I have watched about half a dozen and they have been poor in quite a few games. I am not saying that Juve are the worst side in the CL but the quality of Juve compared to a few years ago has really dipped.

They are struggling to compete. I get your points on Danilo and the like but are you actually telling me Danilo, Cuardado, Ramsey, Rabiot, Morata and the like are Juve quality?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He was already a top manager but his legacy has actually improved. It shows who was the genius behind the Juventus domination in Italy and who made them relevant in Europe again without any major stars.

Their recent shambolic exits and table position should kill all myths that any Tom, Dick and Harry will be able to win titles in a "one team league". To win anywhere you need a top coach
Who was manager of Chelsea when they won Champions league?

RooneyLegend

Yet another charlatan that got the job off of his on field exploits instead of earning his stripes in the coaching arena.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Feel at times that Pirlo lack the attention to detail to drill the discipline into this team.

We may talk about individuals' error in the that free kick, but overall it's the lack of pragmatism that is the root cause of this. One goal from Porto would be a mountain to climb, so why didn't he add another man lying behind the wall like teams often do nowadays?

Rabiot scored a goal, but the whole game, he's very ill disciplined. Once Arthur who kept Juventus ticking for most part of the game went off for some reasons, Juventus lost their cool especially in midfield thus allowing Porto to come out. Juventus wanting that winning goal so much they fail to realize they still have better chance with penalty shoot out than conceding the goal.
Bolded part is peak armchair management meets captain hindsight. Like are you seriously blaming Pirlo, because a 30m free kick went in after Ronaldo casually refused to do his job in the wall and the GK let a still very much saveable ball past him?

Not to mention the coach doesn't manually set the wall for every single free kick.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Even with Sarri, I still think Inter would most likely be top. They have been spending a lot and have got the best manager in the league, so it was only a matter of time before they won the league again.

The free market doesn’t always work for Juve. Ramsey and Rabiot have been disappointing.

Nedved

No, I have watched about half a dozen and they have been poor in quite a few games. I am not saying that Juve are the worst side in the CL but the quality of Juve compared to a few years ago has really dipped.

They are struggling to compete. I get your points on Danilo and the like but are you actually telling me Danilo, Cuardado, Ramsey, Rabiot, Morata and the like are Juve quality?
What? I wrote that only Arthur is close to Juve quality in that midfield. That excludes Ramsey and Rabiot.

Cuadrado, Danilo and Morata have been among the best performers this year so it's odd that you bring them up. Especially Cuadrado, who has been so important seasom after season ever since he joined. Juve have excellent players in attack and defence but need a new central midfield, left back and a manager, essentially.

Foxbatt

They went out because Ronaldo and others chickened out in the wall. Furthermore, they had so many opportunities to score but they were selfish and not passing to team mates in better positions.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
He isn't completely to blame, Bentancur mistake that lead to their first goal in the first leg that gave Porto a 1-0 lead in the first min.

Demiral giving a PK away early into the second leg.

Countless of misses, as well as they were denied a PK in the first leg + those cowards that turned away from the wall; GK could've done better.

In this competition this is ultimately what it comes down there is no second chance. Pirlo has blame in this so does the rest.

Reactions: Cheimoon

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Danilo has not been great, if they are so good, why have they been conceding so many goals?
Right, not only you don't know what you're talking about, you didn't even bother to check :lol:

ti vu

Bolded part is peak armchair management meets captain hindsight. Like are you seriously blaming Pirlo, because a 30m free kick went in after Ronaldo casually refused to do his job in the wall and the GK let a still very much saveable ball past him?

Not to mention the coach doesn't manually set the wall for every single free kick.
So you think the players from other teams themselves decide to put a man lying behind the wall?

So there is no tactical reason for the man lying behind the ball at all? That tactic wouldn't mean to minimize such error?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So you think the players from other teams themselves decide to put a man lying behind the wall?

So there is no tactical reason for the man lying behind the ball at all? That tactic wouldn't mean to minimize such error?
Teams sometimes do this when they face a free kick at the very edge of their box, because from those positions it can be quite hard to save a cheeky low shot. But feel free to show me a team that drops a man behind the wall on every free kick from 30+ meters away. It's absolute nonsense, because that's one player missing elsewhere to cover the chance that all three conditions of: your wall fecks up, the opponent actually manages to deliver a low and well placed, but very hard shot and your keeper misses the save, are met.

Here's a video to illustrate my point. Basically all of those free kicks are taken from the same distance. A good 10 meters or so closer to goal than Olivera's kick.

Last edited:

rojo81

Supports
Juventus

That you bring Cuadrado means you have seen very little of Juve this season. Cuadrado has been easily one of the best performers for Juve and has been playing at a great level.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not going to make top 4 is he? Juve can only get maximum of 81 points now.

Still got to play both Milan clubs (one v AC Milan is huge) in last 5 and likes of Udinese and Sassuolo can be tricky opponents aswell. Atalanta and Napoli have much easier run ins on paper.

Very Moyes esque taking a multiple title winner down to 5th or even potentially 6th given Lazio have a couple of games in hand.

Think this is the biggest story of the season developing, Ronaldo potentially playing in europa and after the stunt Juve pulled this time last week and they're still clinging on in SL.

izec

Terrible side. Awful to watch. Hope they get knocked out of top 4, but someone will bottle it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Still got to play both Milan clubs (one v AC Milan is huge) in last 5 and likes of Udinese and Sassuolo can be tricky opponents aswell. Atalanta and Napoli have much easier run ins on paper.

Very Moyes esque taking a multiple title winner down to 5th or even potentially 6th given Lazio have a couple of games in hand.

Think this is the biggest story of the season developing, Ronaldo potentially playing in europa and after the stunt Juve pulled this time last week and they're still clinging on in SL.
They're 3rd, the way you made it sound I thought they were sat in 6th or something

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're 3rd, the way you made it sound I thought they were sat in 6th or something
5th if Atalanta beat Bologna at home and Napoli win away at Torino over next 24 hours so it's that tight.

AC Milan been drawn back into the battle so looks like they've run out of steam in the final part.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I seriously hope they don't make top 4.
I think they decided to dumb down and make the league competitive by giving Pirlo the job.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
They have to sack him. I still hope they don't make top 4, so we can get Ronaldo on a 1 year contract.

90 + 5min

Absolutly amazing. Giving Pirlo job with 0 coaching expirience (ok, 8 days in Seria C with Juventus U23) and Agneli putting his hope on changing football have really made their season brutal. This happens when you think you are to good.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’ll make top 4. I suspect Milan will miss out. Think they have the hardest run in

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Atalanta clinging onto the win tonight. ;)

They'll finish above Juve (and possibly Milan) so Juve in mini league now with AC Milan and Napoli for final two CL spots. Possibly Lazio aswell but think they'll drop a few points in the run in.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Atalanta clinging onto the win tonight. ;)

They'll finish above Juve (and possibly Milan) so Juve in mini league now with AC Milan and Napoli for final two CL spots. Possibly Lazio aswell but think they'll drop a few points in the run in.
:lol:

Hope they keep cementing their place. Thought they were hard done by in the CL RO16 vs Madrid - will go to my grave not knowing how that was a red card in the first leg.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
Certainly worse than Lampard with by far the best squad in the league. I mean how poor you have to be...
Juventus squad is not "by far the best squad in the league". Inter have just as good if not better squad. Certainly a stronger a starting eleven.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Juventus squad is not "by far the best squad in the league". Inter have just as good if not better squad. Certainly a stronger a starting eleven.
we could go name to name and see the difference but whatever. imho it's definitely a Conte effect.. Juve is clearly struggling because of their poor manager

Pep's Suit

Please, Pirlo, never leave. At least Ronaldo fanboys had to finally stop with that 'refused to lose' nonsense. :drool:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
:lol:

Hope they keep cementing their place. Thought they were hard done by in the CL RO16 vs Madrid - will go to my grave not knowing how that was a red card in the first leg.
Oh what's this? Real making it through a CL knockout game via the help of a dubious red card?

abundance

Supports
Inter
Better starting eleven, one may very well argue, even if our keeper is past it and we play Eriksen and Perisic out of their natural roles.

Better squad no fekin way, quality and reliability drop vertical at the 13th/14th member.

Personally I'm very happy with Darmian in the rotations, ok with Sanchez as a late game sub, satisfied with D'Ambrosio as a pure reserve.
All the rest, is just sad purposeless filler, irredeemably past it, or never available, or just plainly not good enough.
(Including Sensi, who would be a hell of a player... if only he could do more than two traning sessions in a row without reporting muscle issues)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s beyond mental how he got the job. He managed the U23s for 9 days ffs. :lol:

SAFMUTD

It’s beyond mental how he got the job. He managed the U23s for 9 days ffs. :lol:
Not only the result but they play awful. Lost the league, out to freaking porto in UCL and it wouldn't surprise me that Atalanta beats them on the cup final.

I don't know how/why is Pirlo still on the job.

bakalhau

How can he not make a sub until the 70th minute?

I've sat all my life watching football and never playing it, but I can't fathom how can anyone see what I was seeing tonight and CONSCIOUSLY not try something DIFFERENT. How can any coach in the world, regardless of whether you're playing virtual football in FM or managing a top team, watch this team for the first65 minutes and not TRY SOMETHING?

Some things in football just confuse me.