Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Watching him tonight was fecking embarrassing. Genuinely one of the most petulant displays I've ever seen.

Porto were no angels, but Jesus Christ he was acting the cnut.
Thought Ronaldo was worse to be quite honest - the fastest he ran all night was when he beelined to the ref to get Taremi sent off. Both sides were whinging non-stop though; frankly embarrassing from the pair of them.

Cloud7

I agree that save from very few moments throughout the season, Juve has played mostly really bad. Still, given the circumstances, even if some of them are universal, Im not ready to say he isnt a good manager. I want to see what he can do on a normal season with at least a year of experience. I know im in the minority, but still.
The other side of this is, he hasn't shown anything to say he is, or could become, a good manager either. Even in your early days, you have to show some signs of....something....which he hasn't really done yet.

always_hoping

It was so bizarre that they sacked him so quickly only to appoint someone completely unproven, especially as they paid Chelsea a decent fee to get him in the first place.
I posted simliar when Sarri was sacked and Pirlo brought in as his replacement.

A few replies I got reckoned even an average manager would lead Juventus to the 2020/21 league title and they will demand better than early exit from the CL to a non contender like Lyon.

But here we are, a worse exit from the CL than last season and they will likely finish 3rd in the serie A and yet Pirlo remains calm as he thinks he has this gig for several years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would he get the sack? It’s obvious he has done worse job than Sarri, losing league titles first time in many years, plus early exit in CL.

el3mel

Hopefully he can turn it around, but at the moment looking they should have gave Sarri more time.
Sarri deserved the sack. They were going nowhere with him in charge.

Appointing Pirlo just didn't make sense at all. Very wrong manager for such tea..

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Should be sacked. He does not have what it takes to be a coach at this level. Go to MLS and coach and try your luck there.

ti vu

Sarri lost the dressing room. He deserved it.

Pirlo got the players respect, but he is out of his depth.
Hopefully he can turn it around, but at the moment looking they should have gave Sarri more time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The other side of this is, he hasn't shown anything to say he is, or could become, a good manager either. Even in your early days, you have to show some signs of....something....which he hasn't really done yet.
You're judging this solely on results, which can be deceptive. If he was a pure charlatan behind the scenes he would have been tossed a long time ago.

Ladron de redcafe

You're judging this solely on results, which can be deceptive. If he was a pure charlatan behind the scenes he would have been tossed a long time ago.
Don't we have to judge managers by either results or performances? This isn't a case in which Juventus' performances have been better than their results; they've played bad football all season long.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don't we have to judge managers by either results or performances? This isn't a case in which Juventus' performances have been better than their results; they've played bad football all season long.
For us casuals, that's all we have, yes.

For the club, they have more information they can go off of. I'm just offering an explanation as to why he hasn't been sacked yet.

Ladron de redcafe

For us casuals, that's all we have, yes.

For the club, they have more information they can go off of. I'm just offering an explanation as to why he hasn't been sacked yet.
That's true. There might be other factors that come into consideration. I imagine Ferguson's situation in the late 80s might be a reference point. United didn't start playing much better football right away, and some of the results were patchy, but he was rebuilding the club completely, including the youth set-up, and Sir Bobby Charlton and Martin Edwards recognized that important work was being done, regardless of the results and performances on the pitch.

Good post.

ti vu

What bothered me regarding Pirlo tactical sight is he seems not to see something so obvious.

For example, Porto despite their overall impressive defensive performance, they're vulnerable to Cuarado crossing. It's a perfect game to go 3 at the back, to give Cuarado more freedom to attack since Danilo being suspended there is no RB. Having Cuarado as right back, he took some beating all game when being forced to do defensive work, it hindered his attacking contribution to some extend.

If we as fans can see it, Pirlo not seeing it like that, it's just weird.

Ladron de redcafe

What bothered me regarding Pirlo tactical sight is he seems not to see something so obvious.

For example, Porto despite their overall impressive defensive performance, they're vulnerable to Cuarado crossing. It's a perfect game to go 3 at the back, to give Cuarado more freedom to attack since Danilo being suspended there is no RB. Having Cuarado as right back, he took some beating all game when being forced to do defensive work, it hindered his attacking contribution to some extend.

If we as fans can see it, Pirlo not seeing it like that, it's just weird.
Was a lack of crossing really their problem? They peppered the Porto area with crosses but Porto dealt well with most balls.

ti vu

Was a lack of crossing really their problem? They peppered the Porto area with crosses but Porto dealt well with most balls.
I wouldn't say most of the ball. 2 goals from crossings. Another goal is ball over the top. Some other chance also created between over the top, or crossing.

From crossing: Morata missed from point blank in early minutes. Then another chance where he chested down a cross, but couldn't beat the keeper. Ronaldo had a questionable assisting header, instead of going for goal himself.

Their and Cuarado in particular, crossings provided them enough chances to win this tie as is. To compensate for shit finishing, a little more via tactic to free Cuarado, their best crosser of the night, they would have done it. The typical Juventus would have score more from less chances though, and made less a mess with basic defending.

Ladron de redcafe

I wouldn't say most of the ball. 2 goals from crossings. Another goal is ball over the top. Some other chance also created between over the top, or crossing.
From crossing: Morata missed from point blank in early minutes. Then another chance where he chested down a cross, but couldn't beat the keeper. Ronaldo had a questionable assisting header, instead of going for goal himself.

Their and Cuarado in particular, crossings provided them enough chances to win this tie as is. To compensate for shit finishing, a little more via tactic to free Cuarado, their best crosser of the night, they would have done it.
Fair enough. You may be right. Perhaps it could have been different had they changed formation and tried to go exclusively through crosses from the wings.

KeanoMagicHat

It's mad how they sacked a man who won 4 doubles in a row in his reign and got to two Champions League finals, and two years later they expect a complete rookie to have a better chance of winning the Champions League than Allegri. Ferguson took 7 attempts at the Champions League to win it and only won twice out of 21 attempts. If they had been patient, Allegri probably would have cracked it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
just shows being a good player doesn't make you a good manager.

I expected much better football from Pirlo than this.

Pep's Suit

Juve been so poorly run. Signed Ronaldo but weakened their squad in almost every position. Gave huge contracts to average players like Rabiot or Ramsey and then hired a guy with absolutely zero experience as their new coach.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The had won 8/9 titles in a row. Genuinely think they didn't give a shit anymore.

romufc

Juve been so poorly run. Signed Ronaldo but weakened their squad in almost every position. Gave huge contracts to average players like Rabiot or Ramsey and then hired a guy with absolutely zero experience as their new coach.
Completely agree.

The Juve team now is probably comparable to say Everton in the PL. They really do lack the quality to be a top club.

They ended up spending millions on wages for Rabiot, Ramsey who do not fulfil any roles, they made poor business decisions like signing Arthur, selling Cancelo for Danilo leaving them with no RB.

The squad right now is a complete mix and match of different styles.

Pep's Suit

The had won 8/9 titles in a row. Genuinely think they didn't give a shit anymore.
They had players like Tevez up front, top5 midfield in the world and their defenders were much, much younger and behind them was Buffon. And that all while Milan clubs struggled. If Bayern lost Lewandowski, Muller and Kimmich and replaced them with players 1 or 2 levels below plus hired someone like Schweini as their new coach they'd look very, very similar, I think.

Ladron de redcafe

They still have more star power and quality than any team in Italy by a comfortable distance and should be walking the league, again. Not being up to the task, mentally, shouldnt be an excuse. They all deserve criticism, from the players to Pirlo.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Completely agree.

The Juve team now is probably comparable to say Everton in the PL. They really do lack the quality to be a top club.

They ended up spending millions on wages for Rabiot, Ramsey who do not fulfil any roles, they made poor business decisions like signing Arthur, selling Cancelo for Danilo leaving them with no RB.

The squad right now is a complete mix and match of different styles.
C'mon they are far better than Everton.

romufc

C'mon they are far better than Everton.
How so?

Far better? I doubt that. Even if you look at players in each position, Everton have players that are comparable.

Apart from Ronaldo, who is really good at Juve?

They play a make shift RB, the CB are ageing and De Ligt has promise but hasnt shown it yet. Digne is a better LB than what they have.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
How so?

Far better? I doubt that. Even if you look at players in each position, Everton have players that are comparable.

They play a make shift RB, the CB are ageing and De Ligt has promise but hasnt shown it yet. Digne is a better LB than what they have.
Id say they are pretty comparable tbh

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How so?

De Ligt, Bonucci, Chiellini, even Demiral are levels above everon's CBs. Danilo is having a surprisingly great season, Alex Sandro has been good, Morata has been good, Kulusevski is great, Chiesa is turning into a genuine WC player, and then of course there's Cristiano. Technically they have Dybala as well though between injuries and COVID he hasn't been available

Digne, Allan, Docoure, James and DCL are about the only everton players good enough for juventus. Come the feck on

Gehrman

How so?

I don't know I just it feels a like an attempt to downplay their squad to justify their poor CL performances since Ronaldo arrived. No they are not Juventus in their pomp, but they are still the biggest club in Italy. Ronaldo, Chiesa, Dybala, Sandro, Cuadrado, Arthur, De ligt, Bonucci, and Chilly. Morata is the not the worst back up striker although hardly ideal. They could do with a stronger midfield in general though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
De Ligt, Bonucci, Chiellini, even Demiral are levels above everon's CBs. Danilo is having a surprisingly great season, Alex Sandro has been good, Morata has been good, Kulusevski is great, Chiesa is turning into a genuine WC player, and then of course there's Cristiano. Technically they have Dybala as well though between injuries and COVID he hasn't been available

Digne, Allan, Docoure, James and DCL are about the only everton players good enough for juventus. Come the feck on
This.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Don't follow much Everton but if Digne (Roma reject) and Allan (Napoli reject) are some of their best players then there's little doubt that Juventus are easily better..
I'd take a fully fit Dybala over James Rodriguez and Cristiano Ronaldo over Richarlison every day..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully this ends the "anyone can win with (insert best team in a 'one team league' here)" rubbish.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
A lack of competition domestically never breeds success continentally.

Plus their entire squad is Ronaldo plus bargain buys of players at the end of their contracts. They don’t go looking for the absolute best, they don’t pay for the best, they don’t have a huge history of blooding youngsters in either so it’s hardly a great squad they’ve assembled.

I don’t blame them because they’ve never needed to be great over the past decade to win Serie A but it’ll get you at CL level.

Ronaldo at his age won’t create things out of nothing very often as well so he’s reliant on having a creative support structure, Juve have cloggers and defensive midfielders and just expect their forwards to create moments of magic, not dissimilar to a Mourinho team.

I hope Pirlo gets time to develop but I half suspect he won’t.

Gehrman

A lack of competition domestically never breeds success continentally.

Plus their entire squad is Ronaldo plus bargain buys of players at the end of their contracts. They don’t go looking for the absolute best, they don’t pay for the best, they don’t have a huge history of blooding youngsters in either so it’s hardly a great squad they’ve assembled.

I don’t blame them because they’ve never needed to be great over the past decade to win Serie A but it’ll get you at CL level.

Ronaldo at his age won’t create things out of nothing very often as well so he’s reliant on having a creative support structure, Juve have cloggers and defensive midfielders and just expect their forwards to create moments of magic, not dissimilar to a Mourinho team.

I hope Pirlo gets time to develop but I half suspect he won’t.
They made a few CL finals under Allegri and were unlucky to go up against Real Madrid and Barceona when they were at their best.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
They shouldn't have sacked Allegri, his record in the Champions League is good. Look at the clubs that eliminated his teams from the european competition:

- 2010/11 Tottenham
- 2011/12 Barcelona
- 2012/13 Barcelona
- 2014/15 Barcelona
- 2015/16 FC Bayern
- 2016/17 Real Madrid
- 2017/18 Real Madrid
- 2018/19 Ajax, after defeating Atletico Madrid though..
He collected less flops in his career than Juventus in the past 2 seasons alone imho..

romufc

Erm, most of them have been injured this season. Keane is probably just as good as Demiral, not sure what you mean levels. Danilo has not been great, if they are so good, why have they been conceding so many goals?

Morata has been good? Seriously? He is rubbish. Kulusevski is great? What has made his so great? Again how is Chiesa turning into a WC player? 7 goals 7 assists makes you WC?

Nedved

How so?

What? De Ligt is brilliant and has clearly shown it the past two years, when not injured or returning from injury like yesterday. Danilo has been one of the best defenders in the league this year and Cuadrado is a RWB in a 3-5-2 and the top assist man in the CL for a reason. Morata scored six important goals in the group stages, not to mention that Chiesa is one of the most in form players in Europe. You are right on two things: Digne would probably start for Juve considering Sandro's decline and all CMs apart from Arthur are Everton-level.

Was this your first Juve game of the season?

Canagel

It's mad how they sacked a man who won 4 doubles in a row in his reign and got to two Champions League finals, and two years later they expect a complete rookie to have a better chance of winning the Champions League than Allegri. Ferguson took 7 attempts at the Champions League to win it and only won twice out of 21 attempts. If they had been patient, Allegri probably would have cracked it.
He was already a top manager but his legacy has actually improved. It shows who was the genius behind the Juventus domination in Italy and who made them relevant in Europe again without any major stars.

Their recent shambolic exits and table position should kill all myths that any Tom, Dick and Harry will be able to win titles in a "one team league". To win anywhere you need a top coach