Andreas Granqvist

crossy1686

career ending
That's right folks, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

United have been heavily linked with Andreas Granqvist today, the 6ft'5 Swedish CB from Sweden's World Cup campaign.

He's 33 and rumours say he could be joining us on loan in January when the Swedish league has a winter break.

Big news in the Swedish press right now, as was Lindelöf when we apparently approached him.

Swedish paper: https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/4dep89

English: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/manches...edish-world-cup-star-andreas-granqvist-202294

Gopher Brown

He was better than Lindelof at the WC.

Doesn’t mean he’s the level we require though.

ash_86

I thought he was good at the WC. Couldn't be worse than our current defense anyway.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We should sign Seb Larsson and John Guidetti too while we're at it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I thought he was good at the WC. Couldn't be worse than our current defense anyway.
You're having a laugh if you think any player in their mid 30s playing in the Nordic leagues would improve United's squad. Lindelof would look a world beater if he played in the Swedish league.

Charles Miller

I dont think being 33 years old is a problem for a CB in 2018. Swedish defense looked pretty solid in the wc. I'm in favor.

ash_86

You're having a laugh if you think any player in their mid 30s playing in the Nordic leagues would improve United's squad. Lindelof would look a world beater if he played in the Swedish league.
I know he's better than Lindelof as of now and our defense has Lindelof, so i assume he'd do better in our current defense. Ofcourse i'd spend big on a promising CB in 23-25 if possible but none of them are available in winter and our Defense needs some quick fix.

Fuller10

He plays in the Swedish PL mate, my brother in-law plays in the Swedish PL...

He couldn't even make a decent impression during the time he spent at Wigan.
He doesn't even play in the PL, he plays for Helsingborgs IF in the Superettan (Second Division)

Reactions: Varun

Meller

Please no. Lindelöf is bad enough, and I'm a Swede.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I was a big fan of Granqvist for the years he was at Krasnodar, a solid enough, calm no-nonsense CB at that level, but this would be a crazy move. The older cska and Nt duo of Ignashevich and Berezutsky were still better players than him in the RPL and those two had long become a liability against very good teams or anyone with pace. Granqvist would be totally out of his depth physically.

Charlie Foley

He plays in the Swedish PL mate, my brother in-law plays in the Swedish PL...

He couldn't even make a decent impression during the time he spent at Wigan.
To be fair, we've no idea how good your brother in law is, this could be a ringing endorsement :lol:

Anustart89

If we'd had him instead of Jones we would've progressed in the league cup, takes a decent penalty.

Stadjer

He is good at taking penalties...

Not a bad player at all.. could have had a better career but went for money in Russia. I loved him when he played for Groningen

I remember him scoring this goal for my local club.

Devil may care

His surname was familiar but I think I'm getting mixed up as I googled him and don't recognize him at all. 6'5 and 33 years old? Jose's wet dream.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That he plays in the Swedish 2nd league is pretty irrelevant since he's only been doing that for 2 months, and it's obviously not a marker of his current quality as he's clearly the best CB we have. With that said I wouldn't want him at United since he's still not good enough, and the only reason I can see why United might want him is because he has experience of leading a back line, but other than that I can't see what he offers over Smalling for example.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
We won't sign him so who really cares.

Denis79

I dont think being 33 years old is a problem for a CB in 2018. Swedish defense looked pretty solid in the wc. I'm in favor.
Lindelof and Granqvist looked solid because they played a formation of 9-0-1 (not far from the truth btw). They had 4 midfielders guarding them and the defenders only job was to disrupt play, not keep possession or build up attacks, just hoof the ball anywhere with all their might. Any defender looks good in that, Lindelof did and look at him here now.

DancingPanda

Well, he is my favorite player in the Swedish national team... still not good enough though.

Acole9

Outstanding
I saw this earlier and thought it was a player of the same name. He was a flop at Wigan, let that sink in for a moment.

Minimalist

Was one of the best centre backs at the WC to be fair.

Load of bollocks probably re: a transfer.

Stadjer

Lindelof and Granqvist looked solid because they played a formation of 9-0-1 (not far from the truth btw). They had 4 midfielders guarding them and the defenders only job was to disrupt play, not keep possession or build up attacks, just hoof the ball anywhere with all their might. Any defender looks good in that, Lindelof did and look at him here now.
Mourinho might like the idea of a 9-0-1 formation...

stevoc

Being 33 isn't a problem no, but him being shit is. If we do sign this guy then it's official the people running Manchester United are complete fecking loons.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Being 33 isn't a problem no, but him being shit is. If we do sign this guy then it's official the people running Manchester United are complete fecking loons.
:lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Just because he babysat Lindelöf at the WC doesn’t mean it’s a good idea
It's a fecking car crash of an idea. Not even the Swede's think it makes any sense, Larsson yes, Granqvist absolutely not. It's the equivalent of Dave Nugent getting a loan move to Real Madrid because they're looking to replace some of Ronaldo's goals.

Bogga

It's from that crappy pc/leftie "newspaper". It's also called the evening poop (aftonbajset)... They don't know Jack Schitt and always use crappy sources, hiding them in the text and twist the words to attract clicks...

VNL was good for Benfica and our NT, but haven't exactly been good for us. Granqvist have been good for Krasnodar and our NT, but wasn't exactly that awesome while in England.

nainaisson

He is good at taking penalties...

Not a bad player at all.. could have had a better career but went for money in Russia. I loved him when he played for Groningen

[video I can't link to]

I remember him scoring this goal for my local club.
Based on that video, he should replace Lukaku as striker.