Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He has to take some of the blame for Leicester dominating the ball against us - at fecking Old Trafford - last week and he did nothing today to convince me that the giddiness on here after that performance wasn’t over the top. Don’t think this is his position, in his defence.

criticalanalysis

He has to take some of the blame for Leicester dominating the ball against us - at fecking Old Trafford - last week and he did nothing today to convince me that the giddiness on here after that performance wasn’t over the top. Don’t think this is his position, in his defence.
Blame Mourinho in LARGE part for that. 2 seasons of uninspiring football and still no defined playing style or tactics.

MadMike

I think people are being overly harsh on him here. That first half was utterly shambolic from pretty much everyone. The CBs were all over the place, Young was trying to play RW (cause playing with Mata is like playing with 10) and getting caught out of possession, DDG making terrible mistakes in his distribution, Fred was also having a mare in midfield, Lukaku was having abysmal touches everywhere on the pitch...

Asking for him to stand out from the rest when he was the youngest player in the starting XI, starting only his second game for us in a new position for him... that is expecting too much right now. Also, the guy is not DM. He’s being played as a regista, a deep lying playmaker. He didn’t really make any mistakes and got subbed because we had to change to 4-2-3-1 to chase the game.

Anyhow, he also didn’t play well and yes people were going overboard if they thought he would immediately displace Matic. I’m a fan of his, but if you can't see he’s still a bit raw and he’s got ways to go and lessons to learn (like today’s) yet, you’re being naive. I still think he’ll grow into that position Mourinho picked for him and seems a good fit. One bad game doesn’t change that.

Red_toad

I think people are being overly harsh on him here. That first half was utterly shambolic from pretty much everyone. The CBs were all over the place, Young was trying to play RW (cause playing with Mata is like playing with 10) and getting caught out of possession, DDG making terrible mistakes in his distribution, Fred was also having a mare in midfield, Lukaku was having abysmal touches everywhere on the pitch...

Asking for him to stand out from the rest when he was the youngest player in the starting XI, starting only his second game for us in a new position for him... that is expecting too much right now. Also, the guy is not DM. He’s being played as a regista, a deep lying playmaker. He didn’t really make any mistakes and got subbed because we had to change to 4-2-3-1 to chase the game.

Anyhow, he also didn’t play well and yes people were going overboard if they thought he would immediately displace Matic. I’m a fan of his, but if you can't see he’s still a bit raw and he’s got ways to go and lessons to learn (like today’s) yet, you’re being naive. I still think he’ll grow into that position Mourinho picked for him and seems a good fit. One bad game doesn’t change that.
He was poor and plays an essential role in the system. Matic will walk straight back into the team once fit. If you're saying people are being overly harsh, then you're being overly dismissive of his performance. He has to be held accountable for his performances, just as Pogba and Fred are being. Andreas needs to be doing more, otherwise he'll be gone at the end of the season, it really is make or break for him this season. My view of the game, Brighton targeted him as a weakness in the team, that says a lot about him as a player.

MadMike

He was poor and plays an essential role in the system. Matic will walk straight back into the team once fit. If you're saying people are being overly harsh, then you're being overly dismissive of his performance. He has to be held accountable for his performances, just as Pogba and Fred are being. Andreas needs to be doing more, otherwise he'll be gone at the end of the season, it really is make or break for him this season. My view of the game, Brighton targeted him as a weakness in the team, that says a lot about him as a player.
Point me at the part where I said he was wasn’t accountable for his own performances. I also said Matic will take his place in the team. Even before his game.

Let’s not make shit up though. What evidence is there that he was identified as a weakness and targeted? You mean the whole right flank was not targeted but Pereira was? And if he was targeted, then he must have actually done very well because with all the muppets around him losing their heads the only criticism (that I also agree with) is that he should have done more. That’s not a criticism for a supposed weak link.

The fact that you make a theory in your head with no basis about him being targeted and then use that to judge the player, says a lot to me about you as a poster actually.

Red_toad

Point me at the part where I said he was wasn’t accountable for his own performances. I also said Matic will take his place in the team. Even before his game.

Let’s not make shit up though. What evidence is there that he was identified as a weakness and targeted? You mean the whole right flank was not targeted but Pereira was? And if he was targeted, then he must have actually done very well because with all the muppets around him losing their heads the only criticism (that I also agree with) is that he should have done more. That’s not a criticism for a supposed weak link.

The fact that you make a theory in your head with no basis about him being targeted and then use that to judge the player, says a lot to me about you as a poster actually.
Hmm very crude reply.
Yes you didn't say he wasn't accountable, but you immediately went on about other players, after saying people were being overly critical. He was poor and deserves all the flak aimed at him. Go look at Shaw today, he was head and shoulders about the rest of our defence, he was even good inspite of Martial being very poor also. Players can't hide behind the performances of others.

Go watch the game, Andreas was targeted by Brighton, it was pretty obvious. If you can't see it then fair do's, not making any thing up, it's my observations of the game and was also highlighted in media post match discussion, so not just myself who saw it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Disappointing performance but given it's a new role for him and his experienced team mates had rubbish games, I find it hard to be very critical of him.

Grande

He had one mistake, losing the ball after Pogba played him into a difficult spot. Fred had two of those, Pogba countless. He was CM, and apart from that, Brighton created nothing through his zones. Subbing him to leave Fred on was absurd, and certainly didn’t work.

kundalini

Watching their goals several times, Pereira seems to make strange choices on both their first goal and the move that led to the penalty. Since I don't know what the instructions are, it would be going too far to say they were clear mistakes but his positioning looks sub-optimal to me. On the first goal, we were crying out for someone to cover the near post, in the space that Bailly would normally adopt. Obviously there were tons of other players making errors, or choices that ultimately hurt us.

Personally, I think it was simply too much to expect Pereira to play in front of our defence at this stage of the season. We need someone who understands the defensive basics.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had one mistake, losing the ball after Pogba played him into a difficult spot. Fred had two of those, Pogba countless. He was CM, and apart from that, Brighton created nothing through his zones. Subbing him to leave Fred on was absurd, and certainly didn’t work.
I would have taken Fred off, not Pereira

On the first goal he should have covered the space Bailly left when he went across to defend the cross. That's just experience though, it's not training as Bailly shouldn't have been forced to go over there in the first place, but Matic would have known to do it anyway. Fred was loose on the ball but he probably would too. For his second full league start Pereira didn't do badly, a game played on the back foot like that was just a bit beyond him.

MrBest

The midfield 3 should be matic Fred and pogba and I'm not excluding Pereira because he is awful, but because he is not a defensive midfielder and we are just making him look found out. Put him on the right wing, he is surely better than mata there who I have been a massive fan of but in the last 6 month's it is clear he has started to wade backwards.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A bit all over the place, he had no control or command in this game. It's as if he doesn't know where or when to cover, he's just trying to be a third passing option and was a passenger for most of the match. Not sure he's the right guy for these away games.

NinjaFletch

I said I thought he was too nice last week, and I think it proved it this game. He needs to learn when to be a cnut, stick a boot in, break up play and generally do the dirty side of the game.

I think I agree with Mourinho's assessment of him though. I can't see the skill set there to make him a top quality wide player, he's mobile but hardly rapid and I don't see much more than tidy feet and a cool head in terms of quality on the ball.

He's still a work in progress, but if he can learn the defensive side (and I don't really see any reason why he can't) he could be an asset there. If he can't I suspect he'll be playing on the wing for a Real Sociedad or Bayer Leverkusen in a few years.

Grande

On the first goal he should have covered the space Bailly left when he went across to defend the cross. That's just experience though, it's not training as Bailly shouldn't have been forced to go over there in the first place, but Matic would have known to do it anyway. Fred was loose on the ball but he probably would too. For his second full league start Pereira didn't do badly, a game played on the back foot like that was just a bit beyond him.
He could have, but you could also argue that it would appear to him Lindelöf, being ahead of Murray, had first post covered, and that he should rather shut down the space behind in case of a cut back pass. A big mistake I wouldn’t call it. Like I said, without having what I’d call a good game, he was comfortably the best player of the front six, so picking him out after these two games and start talking about the importance of Matic is knee jerk. Matic is still better, but he wouldn’t have made a positive difference in these last two games.

JoaquinJoaquin

Looked new to the position in regards to reading the game and positioning, but don't think he was anywhere near our worst player yesterday.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's not good enough or strong enough to play that role right now. Matic can't back sooner.

El Zoido

He’ll only improve if he keeps playing, but I imagine he won’t get near the team again for a good while now. I’d start him against Spurs honestly.

MUFC OK

I like Andreas, he has bags of potential and I hope he gets plenty of gametime this season. At the minute he, and the rest of the team lack a bit of swagger, that is required to go to tough places like yesterday and perform. I do worry that after yesterday we will revert to the tried and tested fellaini, and Smalling Jones defensive combo. He is a dynamic midfielder which we have been missing but along with the rest of our midfield and team, didn't impose himself enough.

Brighton were a physical side and we cant seem to handle that right now. Perhaps it's to be expected until he and Fred acclimatise to the league properly, certainly a baptism of fire though.

Tylers comments annoyed me 'Pereira, who is only in the team until Matic returns..' there may be some truth in that but the media sure love to discredit anything new or exciting that we try.

RuudTom83

I wish the overground after every game would chill the feck out!

If we bench a player after a bad result we’d have no one left to play.

Let him grow into his role.

Foxbatt

Well, if Mata had not jumped out of the way when the ball was passed from midfield to their left, the cross would not have even come in.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Extremely harsh to be dropped for McTominay. Won’t inspire confidence in him.

Erics_Collar

He was performing at around a 6/10 level, which is good considering the rest of the team (except maybe Shaw) was performing at a 3/10 or 4/10 level. Very discouraging to see him dropped. At least leave him on the bench to show some semblance of trust in him.

Ekeke

Not a big deal if its for a single game. We'll have to see if its more than that and Mourinho has already lost complete faith in him.

For 1 match it probably just says Mourinho doesnt want more than 1 small CM and having spent so much on Fred he believes in him to come good and deliver today. Then having McTominay's height off the bench for when we inevitably go for desperate long balls later on.

IrishRedDevil

It’s no big deal, all part of rotation. If he’s good enough (he is) he will play himself back into the team. It’s one game and Jose has went with experience, which is needed in such an important game.

Not a big deal if its for a single game. We'll have to see if its more than that and Mourinho has already lost complete faith in him.

For 1 match it probably just says Mourinho doesnt want more than 1 small CM and having spent so much on Fred he believes in him to come good and deliver today. Then having McTominay's height off the bench for when we inevitably go for desperate long balls later on.
It’s no big deal, all part of rotation. If he’s good enough (he is) he will play himself back into the team. It’s one game and Jose has went with experience, which is needed in such an important game.
I hope you guys are right ❤

Red-17

Having both Fellaini and McTominay on the bench over him is just ridiculous. I get wanting the physicality of one to close out a game if we are winning, but Pereira was far from the worst performer in the first half against Brighton. I'd even go as far as to say he was one of the better players yet he was yanked off at half time and then dropped entirely from this game. How do you expect to develop confidence in a player when you drop them at the first sign things aren't going well. He played phenomenal all preseason and in the first match only to be scapegoated.

Presumably we will resort to typical hoofball if we are down a goal rather than actually bring on creative attacking talent to try and outplay Spurs. I guess this is what we should expect under Jose. The fact that Bailly isn't even in the squad either is just silly. The guy had a bad game, but he's been a good player pretty consistently.

deafepl

Jose said himself he felt Andreas is inexperienced, not just quality of level.

Red-17

Jose said himself he felt Andreas is inexperienced, not just quality of level.
McTominay was inexperienced too yet he looked his best playing in the big games. Not sure why Pereira can't get that chance to prove himself as well. He was far from being one of our main problems against Brighton.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Having both Fellaini and McTominay on the bench over him is just ridiculous. I get wanting the physicality of one to close out a game if we are winning, but Pereira was far from the worst performer in the first half against Brighton. I'd even go as far as to say he was one of the better players yet he was yanked off at half time and then dropped entirely from this game. How do you expect to develop confidence in a player when you drop them at the first sign things aren't going well. He played phenomenal all preseason and in the first match only to be scapegoated.

Presumably we will resort to typical hoofball if we are down a goal rather than actually bring on creative attacking talent to try and outplay Spurs. I guess this is what we should expect under Jose. The fact that Bailly isn't even in the squad either is just silly. The guy had a bad game, but he's been a good player pretty consistently.
Jose's actions will come back to bite him.

He will need players to fight for him at some point and by then he will have alienated plenty .

NinjaFletch

McTominay was inexperienced too yet he looked his best playing in the big games. Not sure why Pereira can't get that chance to prove himself as well. He was far from being one of our main problems against Brighton.
Of course he was, which was why he was hooked at half time.

Don't get me wrong, everything went round around him, and it was a huge ask for him but he was absolutely invisible in the first half when we didn't have the ball, which is kind of a problem for a defensive midfielder. It's hardly the end of the road for him, but it's neither surprising that Mourinho has gone back to players he trusts and knows can do the role.

arnie_ni

Of course he was, which was why he was hooked at half time.

Don't get me wrong, everything went round around him, and it was a huge ask for him but he was absolutely invisible in the first half when we didn't have the ball, which is kind of a problem for a defensive midfielder. It's hardly the end of the road for him, but it's neither surprising that Mourinho has gone back to players he trusts and knows can do the role.
And then in the second half when he was took of we could hardly string to passes together

Status
Not open for further replies.