5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

He has only himself to blame for this. He hid against Brighton. It was a huge disappointment from a player who needs to prove himself. Hopefully he gets another chance

Red-17

Of course he was, which was why he was hooked at half time.

Don't get me wrong, everything went round around him, and it was a huge ask for him but he was absolutely invisible in the first half when we didn't have the ball, which is kind of a problem for a defensive midfielder. It's hardly the end of the road for him, but it's neither surprising that Mourinho has gone back to players he trusts and knows can do the role.
I don't really agree. There was nothing he should have done differently on any of the goals. I think our main issue in the first half wasn't really on the defensive side apart from the obvious individual errors. The reason they had so many opportunities going forward was because we were so aimless in attack that we consistently gave the ball away and Brighton had an effective plan of how to counter quickly by linking off of Murray. Fred and Pogba were much worse IMO in the first half, and I don't think it is right to drop him entirely from the squad for someone like McTominay who he has outperformed completely in preseason.

I don't understand why Jose seems to think he can only be used as a number 6. I think he can definitely play there, but with Matic coming back he is a much better option to rotate in as an 8 as opposed to Fellaini and McTominay.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Typical Mourinho, scapegoating as usual.

Fred, Lindelof, Bailly were all atrocious but because they are Mourinho buys he tends to favour them.

Pereira was no worse than Pogba either.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Ridiculous he was not in the squad ahead of Fellaini and McTominay.

Red-17

Great to see us resort to the good old hoofball devoid of any actual tactics for the umpteenth time. What kind of club are we that our only gameplan when we go down is to resort to that shite? Can anyone imagine any top club in any of the big 5 or 6 leagues playing like this? Rating the likes of Fellaini and McTominay above Pereira is just shocking.

automaticflare

not good enough. you cannot keep replacing anonymous performing players with players who themselves were anonymous in the last game. this is why we are in a cycle of despair.

R'hllor

Its ok kid, you never stood a chance anyway, you cant match Matic`s level of performance vs Tottenham, what a joke. Raged enough in posts predicting this bullshit, so what ever now.

Renegade

Hope all that confidence he had from pre season hasn’t been zapped. Imagine being dropped from the squad and watching your replacements get run ragged. Took 3 games for Mctominay to move ahead in the pecking order. All this was predicated pre season though so we shouldn’t be too surprised.

Canagel

We have no patience whatsoever. What have we gained from dropping him? We didn't have any difference in midfield and we've dented the confidence of a young player at the same time. He should play every game. One of the few with technical ability and confidence to keep playing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fellaini I get. He's our plan B. Though, at this point, should be starting as hoofing to him is the only thing we do consistently well.

McTominay, though? I don't rate Pereira as highly as most but he's twice the talent he is. Was quite bizarre.

Mainoldo

Poor kid. All that good work in preseason to have an average 45 minutes and boom back to stands. Bet he wished he just went on another loan.

-Supreme-

Typical Mourinho, scapegoating as usual.

Fred, Lindelof, Bailly were all atrocious but because they are Mourinho buys he tends to favour them.

Pereira was no worse than Pogba either.
Bailly didn't make the match day squad and Lindelof was benched

But you're right, there is a clear favouritism by Mourinho :rolleyes:

Bestietom

Matic came in against Spurs but was not fully fit. He will play there again against Burnley. Pereira might be better as a Box to box midfielder or attacking midfielder rather than a DM. IMO

Red-17

Apparently he hasn't even traveled with the squad. Ridiculous if true. How can you cast aside your best performer in preseason for average players like Fellaini and Mctominay, when he's shown way more potential than either? 45 minutes where he was far from our worst player and he deserves to be dropped from match day squad for two weeks? Matic made a mistake far bigger than anything Pereira has done so far

Apparently he hasn't even traveled with the squad. Ridiculous if true. How can you cast aside your best performer in preseason for average players like Fellaini and Mctominay, when he's shown way more potential than either? 45 minutes where he was far from our worst player and he deserves to be dropped from match day squad for two weeks? Matic made a mistake far bigger than anything Pereira has done so far
I agree - Jose is just annoying at this point in time.

piratefox

As soon as Matic was fit I never expected him to play again.

Sad but that's Mourinho.

HailtotheKing

Apparently he hasn't even traveled with the squad. Ridiculous if true. How can you cast aside your best performer in preseason for average players like Fellaini and Mctominay, when he's shown way more potential than either? 45 minutes where he was far from our worst player and he deserves to be dropped from matchday squad for two weeks? Matic made a mistake far bigger than anything Pereira has done so far
Gutted if that's the case. With Jose it seems to be all about trust. If you earn his trust, as McTominay has, you're in. And you'll get way more chances even if you're shit. All managers have favorites but with Jose it just seems even more unfair. Then again, if you're going to war you need people you can trust. And Jose is at war right now. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he replaces Fred with Fellaini for Burnley. God, I hope not!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Could he be injured? He had a very good pre-season, and I thought he was very good against Leicester. I would like to at least see him on the bench.

Aloysius's Back 3

Gutted if that's the case. With Jose it seems to be all about trust. If you earn his trust, as McTominay has, you're in. And you'll get way more chances even if you're shit. All managers have favorites but with Jose it just seems even more unfair. Then again, if you're going to war you need people you can trust. And Jose is at war right now. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he replaces Fred with Fellaini for Burnley. God, I hope not!
It's got hardly anything to do with trust & mostly to do with strength, physique & work rate in my opinion. All very overrated values in terms of how he uses it.

HailtotheKing

It's got hardly anything to do with trust & mostly to do with strength, physique & work rate in my opinion. All very overrated values in terms of how he uses it.
Exactly. He trusts the players that show those qualities. That's what I mean by unfair. His favorites are the people with less talent or flair but the ones who try hard and carry out his instructions. There's no justification for Mctominay taking Pereira's place after the pre-season he had. He was definitely not one of the worst players at Brighton and yet he's yanked off at halftime. Really great for the kid's confidence.

Ace of Spades

The worst part is with Fellaini there, you don't even need McTominay there as well. Pereira can at least offer something different.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The worst part is with Fellaini there, you don't even need McTominay there as well. Pereira can at least offer something different.
Yep, that's what annoys me. With Fellaini already there it's absolutely ridiculous to have McTominay ahead of Pereira (unless an injury of course). Hell, even without Fellaini it'd be ridiculous, but at least I could kind of understand it in that case.

In saying that, it's just rumours ahead of this game and we all know how often they turn out to be wrong.

Ace of Spades

Yep, that's what annoys me. With Fellaini already there it's absolutely ridiculous to have McTominay ahead of Pereira (unless an injury of course). Hell, even without Fellaini it'd be ridiculous, but at least I could kind of understand it in that case.

In saying that, it's just rumours ahead of this game and we all know how often they turn out to be wrong.
Periera is just a far more versatile player than McTominay, the type you want on your bench.

Ace of Spades

So true. I struggle to see the kinda player McTominay is and can become in the future.
McTominay is very average, always has been. No idea what he brings to the table that is not already covered by Fellaini, who is better in every way.

Seems very harsh to drop Periera completely for just a average performance. Not like we have improved by dropping him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Judging by pre-season and the Leicester game, Pereira should be ahead of Fred, Matic, McTominay and Fellaini. There could also be a debate to be had even ahead of Pogba. Unless he's injured, obviously.

Varun

Staff
Judging by pre-season and the Leicester game, Pereira should be ahead of Fred, Matic, McTominay and Fellaini. There could also be a debate to be had even ahead of Pogba. Unless he's injured, obviously.
Different rules for different players. Has been the case during his entire tenure here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pre-season means bugger all, as usual. I also think his performance against Leicester was vastly over-rated on here. We haven’t had so little possession at OT for years and years. Mind you, Jose raved about him. Which I found a little odd at the time.

Whatever, his first half against Brighton was the end of him. Until we get some injuries anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.