Andreas Pereira | Granada Loan Watch

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
With these young players it seems impossible to get any decent information. Some say he is fast and is two footed, whereas others say he clearly lack pace and is seriously one footed. Do people watch him or just make assumptions? I've hardly watched him play so can't really comment.

What are his strengths and his weaknesses?
I watched him playing for Brazil live at the U20 WC.
He can use either foot. He is quick off the mark, dribbles really well and has good control under pressure. He is a heads up player and has good vision and awareness. He has a really good passing range.
His main weakness that I saw at the U20 WC was that he could at times be erratic with his passing.
He is a young player learning and developing his game. People can comb through that last video and pick out all his mistakes but if they look carefully and put context to his play they will see a player with all the right attributes to become a very good player, he will make mistakes but he is still learning the game.

m1y2

He's very one footed. Totally wasted hugging the touchline on the left hand side, as he's too wide to cut inside to really effect the play, even though he has a pretty nice in swinging cross.
he is one of the most two footed players we currently have, he just like to cut inside and make space for himself to create, if he played on the other side I am sure he would be more on his left, it is easier to dribbler both towards the touchline and to the field on your foot which is inside to the pitch, he is anything but hugging the touchline..

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Really pleased that he's emerging as an important player for Granada. A lot of loan deals don't pan out as well as you've envisaged in terms of player development, but the fact that he's getting regular La Liga minutes and is a frequent set piece taker for them suggests that Paco likes what he's seeing and is giving him a bit of individual responsibility. Now his obvious qualities are showing through and the minutes will help build some rhythm and consistency, which is where he can struggle. Possesses a good technical skillset, but to become a regular starter for United, he needs to become a more consistent and patient passer with improved decision making and application on the ball. Too many times he rushes things and tries to do stuff on his own, instead of developing the game with simpler passer, which is kinda normal for most young players I guess. With the right preparation, he can become a solid player for United at the RCM spot beside Pogba. Right now, they tend to do a lot of things in the same way, which will hinder his chances of breaking through, but Pereira has the potential to become more of a passer and tempo setter who can pull the strings, but also has the ability to dribble through (like Thiago).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's pretty common for young CMs to play out wide. Their managers rate them and they can run a bit, but they don't trust them in the engine room. Fletcher played wide for us, Koke and Saul at Atletico still often do, Gerrard did at times, Cazorla started there, Iniesta played some LW.
Fletcher is a decent example, as is Saul. Koke, Gerrard don't have the discipline to play there and Cazorla as good as he is, for me lacks the defensive nous to be a proper CM.. he just gets away with it because he's in a wenger side. Still more an attacking mid for me.

But yeah Schweinsteiger is probably the best example other than Modric, so it isn't the worst thing to happen to be fair. I guess with Mourinho, you'd rather he was just killing it at CM so he can definitely get a chance here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
disagree. Might look like that in Spain, but in the PL he would get shoved around just like Januzaj. No Agüero type of small people's strength

Strongly disagree here. In only very few games he made already 4 or 5 killer passes/crosses. Not his fault, when his teammates are shit and can't convert anything.

I fully agree with the rest of your assessment
People underrate the strength needed to play in Spain, Pereira only gets shoved off the ball when he takes on too many players. Even then he more than holds his own most of the time.

Assist wise, he is decent but I think to be a number 10, he needs to show even more delicacy than he does.

Ole90+3

he is one of the most two footed players we currently have, he just like to cut inside and make space for himself to create, if he played on the other side I am sure he would be more on his left, it is easier to dribbler both towards the touchline and to the field on your foot which is inside to the pitch, he is anything but hugging the touchline..
He was hugging the touchline in almost every single clip in his compilation video against Bilbao.

SteveW

He's very one footed. Totally wasted hugging the touchline on the left hand side, as he's too wide to cut inside to really effect the play, even though he has a pretty nice in swinging cross.
He takes set pieces with both feet. He's about as far from one footed as you can get.

SteveW

It was a really good performance. He's extremely skillful. I can see him getting huge praise in Spain if he keeps playing like that. Great loan so far

ChaddyP

I must say, i was one who found that very 1 footed comment strange. Especially followed by "its obvious" . Always seemed very capable with either foot to me, Not like Santi Carzola but good with both feet. Not exactly Valencia

George Beast

You have to be trolling to say he's one footed. :lol: He literally takes corners, free kicks and penalties with both feet so as to confuse keepers, that's how two-footed he is.

Delighted with how well he's getting on though. You could tell he was growing frustrated the past few seasons with the lack of first team opportunities considering just how talented he is, but this so far is working out brilliantly for him and us.

I can see him getting huge praise in Spain if he keeps playing like that.
From a comment on that video, "Apparently the local media rates him very high in the team so far. The Granada paper said that is "Pereira, Bueno and 9 guys more": http://www.granadahoy.com/article/deportes/2373545/pereira/bueno/y/nueve/mas.html"

jb8521

• Slide through passing/goals - doesn't quite pull off killer through balls regularly enough for me or hit the back of the net enough. If he could do that, again he'd make more of case of him being a 10.. but this is one reason why I think he is suited to being a CM
It might not have transferred to goals or assists in senior football yet but his end product in terms of goals and assists has probably been the most consistent part of his game up until this point, he scored 8 goals and had 7 assists in 13 games for the u21s last season as well as creating a load of chances that weren't taken. Even in his senior games he's created quite a few chances and gone close to scoring a few times.

Vanya

Fletcher is a decent example, as is Saul. Koke, Gerrard don't have the discipline to play there and Cazorla as good as he is, for me lacks the defensive nous to be a proper CM.. he just gets away with it because he's in a wenger side. Still more an attacking mid for me.

But yeah Schweinsteiger is probably the best example other than Modric, so it isn't the worst thing to happen to be fair. I guess with Mourinho, you'd rather he was just killing it at CM so he can definitely get a chance here.
Tbf koke has played in the middle with gabi this season and done quite well..wouldn't say he doesn't have the discipline .

Agree with your analysis on Periera. IMO he will never be a no.10. The hope is that he continues to work hard and develops in the modric mould as a modern playmaker.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It might not have transferred to goals or assists in senior football yet but his end product in terms of goals and assists has probably been the most consistent part of his game up until this point, he scored 8 goals and had 7 assists in 13 games for the u21s last season as well as creating a load of chances that weren't taken. Even in his senior games he's created quite a few chances and gone close to scoring a few times.
That is my point, he is close to.. but it isn't quite translating to hard figures just yet. I think he has it in him, but my gut feeling is that he won't be that prolific as what a 10 should be.. which is why he'll end up in a lesser team if he goes down that route of remaining a 10, whereas as a CM I could see him operating at a higher level.

For a big club, he could become a legit CM playmaker. For a big club he would never be a 10 or a winger.
For a average side, he can make it wherever.

dichinero

He was hugging the touchline in almost every single clip in his compilation video against Bilbao.
That's a managerial instruction. The manager likes to set up like Barca having wide men staying really wide

VanGaalEra

Liked the look of that, he looked very confident and the more he plays, the more he'll express himself.

Good lad.

m1y2

his starting position might be out wide but with every other touch he tend to get more infield I guess it's obvious, he's a playmaker and needs to express himself, I imagine higging touchline someone like Valencia in his "prime" he's opposite to that

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
his starting position might be out wide but with every other touch he tend to get more infield I guess it's obvious, he's a playmaker and needs to express himself, I imagine higging touchline someone like Valencia in his "prime" he's opposite to that
Again he could simply be following instructions. Lots of coaches like their wide midfielders to cut in, it creates channels for an overlap and in that clip you see that happen.

m1y2

Again he could simply be following instructions. Lots of coaches like their wide midfielders to cut in, it creates channels for an overlap and in that clip you see that happen.
lets just agree he plays too wide

khoazany

You have to be trolling to say he's one footed. :lol: He literally takes corners, free kicks and penalties with both feet so as to confuse keepers, that's how two-footed he is.

Delighted with how well he's getting on though. You could tell he was growing frustrated the past few seasons with the lack of first team opportunities considering just how talented he is, but this so far is working out brilliantly for him and us.

From a comment on that video, "Apparently the local media rates him very high in the team so far. The Granada paper said that is "Pereira, Bueno and 9 guys more": http://www.granadahoy.com/article/deportes/2373545/pereira/bueno/y/nueve/mas.html"
Considering they have the likes of Samper and Boga who were the "wonderkids" back then at their club and how Pereira blew hot and cold in the U18s/U21s 2-3 years ago there's gotta be some credits about how he has developed his game at our club.

Never have much doubt that he will eventually break through at our club if he has the patience.

In Rainbows

Personally, I never liked him as a 10. He looked for his shot too often, as opposed to a 10 that likes to create.

Phil Osophy

It could be useful to suggest comparisons with other players to describe Pereira, for those who don't know him. In my opinion he's similar to Thiago Alcantara in a physical-technical sense. Pereira is more direct, more focused on dribbling and the final production, while Thiago is better at pass & move (Barça culture) and setting the tempo.

Neither of them is great physically in terms of explosivity, strength, speed, but they're agile and super technical in short spaces. Excellent touch, vision for a pass, composed under pressure. I'm just guessing but I believe Pereira will end up playing in midfield (8) or as a number 10 in the future. Time will tell, but the prime materials are promising.

And just out of curiousity, I was searching for a video of Thiago when he was young and I've noticed that both of them have some identical gestures in similar positions. For example look at 1:52 of this video:

and compare it with the last one of Pereira against Bilbao (3:32)

I don't know if they will be similar players in the future, but for those who don't know too much about Pereira this could be a good comparison I think, in terms of basic attributes at least.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I remember a cup game he played with Fellaini as partner and Schweinsteiger as the pivot.

He really looks comfortable in that position and he did remind me of Thiago. Passing is slick and he have no problem with pressure.

He would have to fight with Pogba for that position though, but i think that is where his future lies.

ash_86

Good to see that the's getting chances to play regularly. Lot of good things can be seen from the highlights against the A.Bilbao , but one major concern is his decision making. Around the 4.15 mark he must have passed it to the mate and taken the assist. But he goes for it himself and spoils a good chance. I feel this area of his game will improve as he plays though.

Reactions: Invictus

jb8521

Personally, I never liked him as a 10. He looked for his shot too often, as opposed to a 10 that likes to create.
I prefer him playing deeper in midfield I was just pointing out that he doesn't lack an end product

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Seems to be playing on the left again, think it’s the third time out wide this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jesus, this team is horrible. 2-0 Alaves after some of the worst defending I've ever seen.

George Beast

Christ, Granada are shocking. Probably the worst team in La Liga. He's too good for them.