Andy Mitten: The players aren't responding to the manager

MayfieldsFinest

I'm a big fan of Mitten, he speaks with about as much balance as is possible when reporting about the club he supports. He does an excellent spot on OTBAM every so often and manages to shut Ger "Cliche of the day" Gilroy up.

Jimmah

Fed up of the attitude of some players, 6 different managers speaks volumes when the same problem exists frequently. They're all on high wages and can't motivate themselves on the pitch when faced with a tough battle. Get them visiting hospitals and volunteering around Manchester and speak to fans and families and get some desire back in them to do well for the club.

mu4c_20le

Or maybe, just maybe, ETH was convincing that he knows what the problems are and how to clear them up, which probably involves the change of control of the club, discussions with SJR about infrastructure and a couple of transfer windows to ship out disruptive players.
This sounds like fan fiction.

I can't be bothered with yet another knee-jerk sacking followed by an interim and then another new manager who gets one season's grace before the players decide it's too much like hard work and get the manager sacked again. Give ETH a proper crack under Brailsford/SJR and see how he gets on.
Can't tell if you are taking the piss here, but all of our sackings were far too late when the damage has been done.

The Urban Goose

Can't tell if you are taking the piss here, but all of our sackings were far too late when the damage has been done.
Yes, "knee-jerk" was the wrong phrase to use. "Cop-out" would've been better. "Distraction" may have been even more appropriate.

ti vu

Things are discussed "off the record" all of the time, so yes it's likely that ETH told Mitten things that Mitten can't pass on.

I like AM and trust what he says; he clearly has a hell of a lot more access and knowledge than I do, so why would I assume to know better? You on the other hand clearly don't rate AM, which is fine, maybe you're right and I'm wrong. Time will tell.
It's not about rating AM or not. If a manager talks to unrelated party about club affair off the record, even this discussion is not published, it's still bad form. What stopped other workers at the club/organization doing the same. Just because those workers pick a less trustworthy journalist that eventually leak the "between you and me" off record, doesn't make it worse. What makes it bad is letting these outsiders know the inside of dressing room in the first place!

It's basically jungle law along the line: it's fair and game to shit on each other. Only those get caught, did something wrong?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Actually it's quite salty, because it's obvious he's running defence for Ten Hag.
He is allowed to form his own view and revert appropriately to some numpty on the internet who claims that he has taken a bribe.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He is allowed to form his own view and revert appropriately to some numpty on the internet who claims that he has taken a bribe.
Mitten is a journo, he wouldn't be one if he was so squeaky clean. He's also defending the indefendable right now, so questions should be asked.

crossy1686

career ending
I like Mitten, he talks a lot from what the heart wants rather than what his head is saying because he’s a United fan first and foremost. He was banging on about United having a great season this season based on nothing but vibes during the preseason, and he followed them on tour to the States.

Point being, he wants to believe whatever he’s told because he’s spoken to someone who apparently has a plan and can directly affect things.

ti vu

I like Mitten, he talks a lot from what the heart wants rather than what his head is saying because he’s a United fan first and foremost. He was banging on about United having a great season this season based on nothing but vibes during the preseason, and he followed them on tour to the States.

Point being, he wants to believe whatever he’s told because he’s spoken to someone who apparently has a plan and can directly affect things.
Or he doesn't actually want to believe, but wants to keep that direct connection within the club, so that he can sell his credibility for all kind of exclusive info/story and make money.

Journalist doesn't necessarily take cash bride. Story, info even the trivial stuffs with confirmed reputable source is enough impressive to the public.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You get an inside scoop interview with the manager of Manchester United football club, the first thing you're absolutely not going to do is shit on him and say he's finished

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You get an inside scoop interview with the manager of Manchester United football club, the first thing you're absolutely not going to do is shit on him and say he's finished
You don't have to put a tweet out at all, he's doing it because he knows things we don't. And weirdly it's irking some people here.

crossy1686

career ending
Or he doesn't actually want to believe, but wants to keep that direct connection within the club, so that he can sell his credibility for all kind of exclusive info/story and make money.
I think he might do that for Barcelona but if you listen to any of the Athletic podcasts you’ll hear that he’s incredibly invested in United on sentimental level.

crossy1686

career ending
It really isn't. If you have followed his tone he's been hugely critical of him in podcasts.
Has he? I thought he was pretty balanced this time? Puts equal blame on the players and the manager. I’ve always thought it’s a good indication of something not being right if Mitten is being overly harsh on someone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Has he? I thought he was pretty balanced this time? Puts equal blame on the players and the manager. I’ve always thought it’s a good indication of something not being right if Mitten is being overly harsh on someone.
No, he's been a lot more stern toward ten hag than he has toward other managers.
But it's also clear he has learned some new information and backs him. If he wanted to just note it and keep it sweet he wouldn't tweet anything.

Im sure he has some information off the record, and I have a feeling Neville has the same.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not seeing him be hugely critical here.
So you haven't really listened to any of his podcasts up to this point.

You can't just come out with isolated drops of info and call things fluff pieces. You should know what the tone of the journalists are before concluding that. Mitten was hugely critical of ten hag, and for him to voluntarily give his opinion of a change in mind points to new information he's learned. He could have easily tweeted nothing, he doesn't need to build a book of contacts. He's the one of the most credible journalists for United already.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You don't have to put a tweet out at all, he's doing it because he knows things we don't. And weirdly it's irking some people here.
A Man Utd related journalist not putting a tweet out that he's had an interview with the manager? Would be missing a lot of interactions!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A Man Utd related journalist not putting a tweet out that he's had an interview with the manager? Would be missing a lot of interactions!
He could have just printed the transcript of his interview or said he interviewed him. He didn't do that though, he gave his own opinion and he didn't owe anyone to do that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's the United Stand interview he's referencing surely?
You mean United we stand? If so why does that matter? He didn't need to give his own opinion unless he had a genuine feeling of change.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That will fix things. What did they do exactly?
Publishing stories without going to the club to comment/give context/challenge. Standard protocol is to do this so they can call it bullshit if it is bullshit (let's be real, the guys banned here are complete garbage reporters with no actual sources and constantly make shit up for clicks)

Giggsy13

Who said he wasn't? Don't put words in my mouth.
Stop backtracking, you spoke out about it because you didn’t like a sound journalist coming up with an opinion you didn’t like. Perhaps stick to TMZ and other sensationalist garbage.

Dan_F

So it’s been leaked that players are unhappy with players leaking info. We really are approaching peak United-post-Fergie.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who said he wasn't? Don't put words in my mouth.
You actually implied quite strongly he wasn't. His own opinion has been pawned off as being some mouthpiece for the club, and not his own views.