Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He is actually more Greek than Ozzie, honestly I was not that keen on him when I first heard he was our manager, but damn it’s hard not to like the guy. He is so different than any other manager I have ever seen, just seems so genuine. Reminds me a lot of Martin Jol, Levy seems to have stumbled onto him and like most of Levy’s footballing choices they aren’t by design.
Ange moved to Australia when from Greece when he was 4 years old, so I'd say he's much more Aussie than Greek

RuudTom83

He's had a good 2 months at Spurs. Media love him, Fans love him.

Nice for the Spurs fans to have some positivity after the doom and gloom of Conte.

Enjoy it while it lasts, as in football it's always very fragile.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Really mad that nowadays the framing is ‘Isn’t it shit that another team has got a manager I really like’.

I won’t pretend I had it in me to celebrate all clubs managers back in the day, but I genuinely loved most of the good personalities in football.

Seems really weird that the modern fan wants a manager that they love and for all the other teams to have Problems in that space.

It’s an entertainment sport. Surely the goal should be for all teams to have a manager with good politics, morals and a decent sense of humour? Game would be better for it.

I think Ange will do some great things in the game. He’s a really good bloke, and is clearly a decent tactician. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the inevitable crunchy bits that come with a bad run of form, or (soon probably) his first grumbles with Levy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Nice for the Spurs fans to have some positivity after the doom and gloom of Conte.

Totally missing the point, try again.

crossy1686

career ending

He’ll be gone by next Christmas but it’s nice that there’s someone likeable in the PL again

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
BBC IPLAYER interview with Liniker, Ange is a class act, maybe it cause I’m Irish and I appreciate a non bullshit approach, it’s just a decent guy,

SambaBoy

Ange moved to Australia when from Greece when he was 4 years old, so I'd say he's much more Aussie than Greek
Understandable but growing up in Melbourne, he would have been a Greek/Aussie. It's the main ethnic majority there and they all congregate together which is where South Melbourne Hellas originated from.

A club with Greek roots that was packed to the rafters every weekend competing against other ethnic clubs.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Ange has proved himself where ever he has managed and wants to play good attacking football, as an Aussie it is always good to see one of us perform on the wold stage.

He got Australia playing some good football and won us an Asian cup.

Only flaw I see with Ange is that he supports Carlton.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ange has proved himself where ever he has managed and wants to play good attacking football, as an Aussie it is always good to see one of us perform on the wold stage.

He got Australia playing some good football and won us an Asian cup.

Only flaw I see with Ange is that he supports Carlton.
His only flaw in my eyes came when he left Brisbane Roar to join Melbourne Victory. It could be worse - Ange could support Collingwood.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
if u say so. Laughable.
There's nothing laughable about it, it's actually completely plausible. feck knows why you're being so derisive about it.

Understandable but growing up in Melbourne, he would have been a Greek/Aussie. It's the main ethnic majority there and they all congregate together which is where South Melbourne Hellas originated from.

A club with Greek roots that was packed to the rafters every weekend competing against other ethnic clubs.
Yeah, for clarity, it's not an ethnic "majority", it's an ethnic minority. It might be a large minority, but it's never been more than a very small percentage of the population. But of course he would have been a Greek-Aussie. He'd have had two identities and been immersed in two cultures*. But apparently the guy above thinks it's "laughable" to suggest that he's been shaped more by the place he spent 50 years in rather than the other one.

*On that note, as someone who supported South Melbourne when I was younger, I really wish they'd stop acting like his coaching career started at Brisbane Roar. He won us two championships as coach ffs, and played there for years. This erasure of NSL history aggravates the feck out of me.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
His only flaw in my eyes came when he left Brisbane Roar to join Melbourne Victory. It could be worse - Ange could support Collingwood.
Also a big Liverpool fan, if it goes well for him at spurs over the next couple of seasons, that would be his ultimate dream job.

Cloud7

Really mad that nowadays the framing is ‘Isn’t it shit that another team has got a manager I really like’.

I won’t pretend I had it in me to celebrate all clubs managers back in the day, but I genuinely loved most of the good personalities in football.

Seems really weird that the modern fan wants a manager that they love and for all the other teams to have Problems in that space.

It’s an entertainment sport. Surely the goal should be for all teams to have a manager with good politics, morals and a decent sense of humour? Game would be better for it.

I think Ange will do some great things in the game. He’s a really good bloke, and is clearly a decent tactician. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the inevitable crunchy bits that come with a bad run of form, or (soon probably) his first grumbles with Levy.
Agree with this.

Even when Arsenal were our biggest rivals, there was a lot to admire about Wenger. Similarly Jose 1.0, I liked him a lot, and then Pep. Pre Liverpool I really liked Klopp. Weird mindset to not want to be able to appreciate anything good outside your own club.

SambaBoy

There's nothing laughable about it, it's actually completely plausible. feck knows why you're being so derisive about it.

Yeah, for clarity, it's not an ethnic "majority", it's an ethnic minority. It might be a large minority, but it's never been more than a very small percentage of the population. But of course he would have been a Greek-Aussie. He'd have had two identities and been immersed in two cultures*. But apparently the guy above thinks it's "laughable" to suggest that he's been shaped more by the place he spent 50 years in rather than the other one.

*On that note, as someone who supported South Melbourne when I was younger, I really wish they'd stop acting like his coaching career started at Brisbane Roar. He won us two championships as coach ffs, and played there for years. This erasure of NSL history aggravates the feck out of me.
Yeah if it wasn't for Puskas there wouldn't be any mention of South within the media when Ange is mentioned but there's what the A-League want. The great old teams don't/didn't exist.

Guy Incognito

This.

He is a straight talker and Spurs and tbh the PL have needed that for some time. He has set expectations right from the off, and doesn't seem to be fazed by pressure.

They will have a bad run of form but key is whether Levy trusts him. The players have bought into his philosophy but I guess that's not tricky when you are used to uber defensive football. Spurs probably would've lost this game last season.

Abraxas

Talks an exceptional amount of sense for somebody in this industry. Usually it's all filtered through the lens of PR or self preservation.

Really good start after losing Kane. I think avoiding that distraction which Harry Kane became on a yearly basis has been good for him to really set about making his mark on the squad. He's won wherever he's been so we'll see, but it's a very good beginning. I think it'll be quite hard for the whole season due to a lack of depth of quality options but you never know, they could ride the wave if they avoid injuries to guys like Son, Maddison, Bissouma.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Best manager in the world at the moment
Couldn’t tell if you was sarcastic or not but I wouldn’t go that far. Not even the best in the league. He’s doing a great job though and he’s another example of another manager that’s made their mark a lot quicker than ours has.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Talks an exceptional amount of sense for somebody in this industry. Usually it's all filtered through the lens of PR or self preservation.

Really good start after losing Kane. I think avoiding that distraction which Harry Kane became on a yearly basis has been good for him to really set about making his mark on the squad. He's won wherever he's been so we'll see, but it's a very good beginning. I think it'll be quite hard for the whole season due to a lack of depth of quality options but you never know, they could ride the wave if they avoid injuries to guys like Son, Maddison, Bissouma.
Once Bentancur is back the midfield will look a lot better for depth, was Spurs best player behind Kane when he got injured. If they lose Son or Maddison for any length of time they are cooked.

I don't understand how they got so much money for Kane and their bench is so so bad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I said last year Spurs were just kicking the can down the road with Kane and needed to wrench themselves away from him.

Kudos to Postecoglou if he did go straight in and say they needed to sell him rather than just stall with endless uncertainty.

No way Maddison would've been as influential as he currently is if Kane was still there picking the ball up 30 yards from goal everytime Spurs cross the halfway line, he'd have been more marginalised coming in from out wide.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Night and day difference when you contrast how we've played at The Emirates the past few seasons. The win was there for Spurs today but will take a draw.

We have very little depth but luckily we're on a one-game-a-week diet from now until the new year. Bentancur coming back soon will help. Maybe Bryan Gil can become a player under Ange as well.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He places a lot of pressure on the front 3 to press relentlessly and as seen in Japan and in Scotland, he will generally take the front 3 off or at least 2 of the front 3.

His problem at the moment is the subs are nowhere near the level of what’s on the pitch. Going from Son to Richarlison is like going from Nesta to Maguire.

There is good enough options at full back.

They need another CB, Bentancur to return and another striker and wide forward. I’m afraid they will end up really good. I knew he would succeed but I didn’t think he would have this current squad playing anywhere near the level they are.

Dannn411

Yet another evidence that you don't need years and tons of money to put together a side that plays good coherent football.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Very impressive manager and man. Would absolutely love to see him at Liverpool one day.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Very impressive manager and man. Would absolutely love to see him at Liverpool one day.
Grew up a Liverpool supporter as he's said in a number of interviews.

Still has a poster of Kenny Dalglish on his wall (probably).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Grew up a Liverpool supporter as he's said in a number of interviews.

Still has a poster of Kenny Dalglish on his wall (probably).
Yeah as far as I can tell he probably is, he’s never actually stated it but in numerous interviews he talks about watching Liverpool as a kid with his dad. Thankfully I don’t think you would go for him due to him being quite old.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I was thinking today it's because he's got the perspective that comes with being 58 years old with 28 years experience as a manager.

The guy was made manager of Australia's biggest club when he was 30 - the same one Ferenc Puskas was managing just a few years before - and he's been doing it ever since.

Not only is he older than most people in his role, he's also had an unusually long time to make sense of the trials of being a football manager and gain a perspective on it.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

Yet another evidence that you don't need years and tons of money to put together a side that plays good coherent football.
We're 6 games in, how many managers have we seen have a short term impact and then it all fades away? Spurs last manager was one of them for starters.

If they're still up there and playing like this well into the New Year then maybe it'll be worth taking a bit of notice of them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We're 6 games in, how many managers have we seen have a short term impact and then it all fades away? Spurs last manager was one of them for starters.

If they're still up there and playing like this well into the New Year then maybe it'll be worth taking a bit of notice of them.
I can’t DISAGREE with your point, but I feel u haven’t seen many of our games, how he has flipped such a horse shit mentality in such a short time is litterally amazing. It’s not the results it’s the performances. I’m not getting overly hyped of course it could all go tits up, but why would we not at least get excited.

That accompanied with he is just seems a genuine guy. And someone I actually wanna listen to, as apposed to a raging Klopp or an arrogant Pep who just abuse any red or assistant they seem they are entitled to do, it’s all opinions and we are entitled to have them.

C'est Moi Cantona

I can’t DISAGREE with your point, but I feel u haven’t seen many of our games, how he has flipped such a horse shit mentality in such a short time is litterally amazing. It’s not the results it’s the performances. I’m not getting overly hyped of course it could all go tits up, but why would we not at least get excited.

That accompanied with he is just seems a genuine guy. And someone I actually wanna listen to, as apposed to a raging Klopp or an arrogant Pep who just abuse any red or assistant they seem they are entitled to do, it’s all opinions and we are entitled to have them.
I've seen Spurs, and I'm impressed, but I've also seen it all before, so it's just a bit much hearing how great he is so early on.

The reality is you've had a fairly easy start to the season, as far as I'm aware had most of your squad fit, and also have a new manager that wants to play the polar opposite of your old manager which usuallly starts well.

I'd be excited if I was a Spurs fan, but I'm not, and so I am just seeing it with a more matter of fact way for where things are likely to end up.

croadyman

We are well off the pace so hope you lot check Klopp's momentum next Saturday

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I've seen Spurs, and I'm impressed, but I've also seen it all before, so it's just a bit much hearing how great he is so early on.

The reality is you've had a fairly easy start to the season, as far as I'm aware had most of your squad fit, and also have a new manager that wants to play the polar opposite of your old manager which usuallly starts well.

I'd be excited if I was a Spurs fan, but I'm not, and so I am just seeing it with a more matter of fact way for where things are likely to end up.
The thing is he has been doing this for decades.
Everywhere he has gone he has made a positive impact. Thats the thing people cant understand, he has been doing this a long time, he isnt some sort of overnight fad. Every single time he has stepped up a level he has made a positive difference.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Quite refreshing as a manager (dunno if that actually makes sense). The contrast between him (cool, calm, collected) and Arteta (who looked like a monkey on steroids jumping about) on the touchline was hilarious.

There's also something about a fat manager in a suit that's an endearing throwback to yesteryear.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Quite refreshing as a manager (dunno if that actually makes sense). The contrast between him (cool, calm, collected) and Arteta (who looked like a monkey on steroids jumping about) on the touchline was hilarious.

There's also something about a fat manager in a suit that's an endearing throwback to yesteryear.
He was quite funny, then he took it upon his self to try and intimidate Kulu when he was going down the wing. Refs need to really start sending managers who can’t control himself off the pitch, there is no other profession where it is acceptable for a manager to act like that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He was quite funny, then he took it upon his self to try and intimidate Kulu when he was going down the wing. Refs need to really start sending managers who can’t control himself off the pitch, there is no other profession where it is acceptable for a manager to act like that.
I missed this - do you have a clip?

Mike Smalling

I was fairly impressed with how Spurs moved the ball around and played their way out of Arsenals pressure yesterday. Good stuff. They could be a real top four contender, which I certainly didn't expect.