Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The same question for other way around too: Is there any examples of 9 men withdrew in their box successfully defend the scoreline after 30+ minutes of football?

Or it's the case that 2 men down is just too much to work around with tactic. There is no example of correct way to play when your team is down to 9 men.
I mean Liverpool almost did it. Limited Spurs to almost zero decent chances and only lost to a very very unfortunate OG by Matip right at the death. Go back to the match thread for that game. Lots of people were talking about how well Liverpool handled Tottenham and how awful Tottenham were with 2 man advantage.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I mean Liverpool almost did it. Limited Spurs to almost zero decent chances and only lost to a very very unfortunate OG by Matip right at the death. Go back to the match thread for that game. Lots of people were talking about how well Liverpool handled Tottenham and how awful Tottenham were with 2 man advantage.
Spurs was down to 9 men by 55mins
Curtis Jones and Jota vs Losing 2 CBs and Maddison
It will be like Liverpool getting red card for VVD and Robertson, Konate and Szobozlai Injured.
At a point it was Dier Hojberg and Emerson in defence.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs was down to 9 men by 55mins
Curtis Jones and Jota vs Losing 2 CBs and Maddison
It will be like Liverpool getting red card for VVD and Robertson, Konate and Szobozlai Injured.
At a point it was Dier Hojberg and Emerson in defence.
Even more of a reason to not park them on the halfway line against Sterling, Jackson and Mudryk then :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You don't need to. But I would ask you: Do you believe, that Spurs are currently trained to form this kind of organized defensive low block to pull this off? I don't think so. Is it a massively risky approach to try to outscore while being two man down? Yes definitely. Is it a bigger risk than trying to play a style you didn't train? I don't think so. Sticking to what you are good at is usually the best approach I believe and I do support any team/manager who isn't too scared to believe this as well.
Tactical consistency is excellent if you ignore specific situations. I'm sure we can find many instances where managers changed their style based on a specific situation to get results.

You ask the same type of questions on the contrary: How often do they practice this style down two men? What professional footballer hasn't played in a low block?

ti vu

Liverpool got the personnels to switch to back 5 that many teams would crave for. TAA, Konate, VVD, Matip, Robertson.

Also Tottenham already took off Son before the second sent off. He was not 100% fit to play the whole 90 minute for this game. Liverpool only had to defend less than 30 minutes whereas it's about 40 minutes with a makeshift defensive line.

https://talksport.com/football/1583141/tottenham-postecoglou-maddison-son-injuries-liverpool/

So beside the 2 sent off, yesterday game was even more freakish than already freakish Tottenham-Liverpool game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What is it about parking the bus that gets people wet ffs, especially in England?

Having a 2 man delta when attacking is a huge fecking advantage. You're almost guaranteed to concede. No matter your style of defending.

Why are people still bothered at an approach that didn't change the odds much defensively, yet increased their odds of scoring significantly? What is it about "non-pragmatic" methods (I want to vanish that word from football lexicon so bad) that is so bothersome?

It's like when Leeds had the audacity to play football without parking the bus. "Who do they think they are", "naive cnuts", "they'll go back down quickly"... And they did, but what about the numerous teams that play route 1 football and go back down as fast as they came up? How come we don't hear anything about the teams that play to draw or lose narrowly, but have all the criticism for a team that plays expansively? "They'll hit you on the counter like that", "you'll get found out eventually"... It just goes on and on... mini rant so I'm all over the place but hopefully ye get the point

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool got the personnels to switch to back 5 that many teams would crave for. TAA, Konate, VVD, Matip, Robertson.

Also Tottenham already took off Son before the second sent off. He was not 100% fit to play the whole 90 minute for this game. Liverpool only had to defend less than 30 minutes whereas it's about 40 minutes with a makeshift defensive line.

https://talksport.com/football/1583141/tottenham-postecoglou-maddison-son-injuries-liverpool/

So beside the 2 sent off, yesterday game was even more freakish than already freakish Tottenham-Liverpool game.
Yeah those are all very fair points.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They drew with them 2-2 last month
Was that a home game for Celtic? Playing in Scotland is like those clubs that play in high altitude stadiums - they have an immediate home advantage against any visitors. It's just that instead of being high altitude, Glasgow has an heroin/air balance of around 70/30 and the locals have built up a tolerance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Tactical consistency is excellent if you ignore specific situations. I'm sure we can find many instances where managers changed their style based on a specific situation to get results.

You ask the same type of questions on the contrary: How often do they practice this style down two men? What professional footballer hasn't played in a low block?
They probably never practised a 9v11, but I am quite sure that 11v11 is not the only training match but that they also train situation specifics and forms like 5v5 on a part of the pitch to focus on specific kinds of situations, so they will be used to their automatisms even if less than 11 players are on the field. And of course everyone has played in a low block during his career, but have these players the understanding and automatisms in them to work this way?

Anyway we are talking about a freak situation, so everything we write here is highly speculative anyway so I gladly accept other opinions about it, but I think it's interesting to see why people here think how they do about it.

What is it about parking the bus that gets people wet ffs, especially in England?

Having a 2 man delta when attacking is a huge fecking advantage. You're almost guaranteed to concede. No matter your style of defending.

Why are people still bothered at an approach that didn't change the odds much defensively, yet increased their odds of scoring significantly? What is it about "non-pragmatic" methods (I want to vanish that word from football lexicon so bad) that is so bothersome?

It's like when Leeds had the audacity to play football without parking the bus. "Who do they think they are", "naive cnuts", "they'll go back down quickly"... And they did, but what about the numerous teams that play route 1 football and go back down as fast as they came up? How come we don't hear anything about the teams that play to draw or lose narrowly, but have all the criticism for a team that plays expansively? "They'll hit you on the counter like that", "you'll get found out eventually"... It just goes on and on... mini rant so I'm all over the place but hopefully ye get the point
Fully agree with this little rant. "Pragmatism" in England often seems to be equal to "form a low block and just boot it" and that's a very sad way to look at football that people believe professional players that are paid millions (maybe a bit less for the really bad teams but still...) can only play football this way. I get what these people are saying, it just makes me sad how they lack ambition to see the beautiful game.

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
The fella is a breath of fresh air. Responsible comments after the game regarding refs and VAR. Genuinely exciting suicidal football when down to 9 men.

Utterly soulless people criticising his approach after the two red cards. Fella has lost one game all season and only lost here due to ill discipline. Loved that he carried on going for it in a way that made little sense but continued to be exciting.

He’s a really great addition to the league and I envy Tottenham fans. Wish he was in charge at United. I’d take a top 6 finish while wanting to turn the match on to watch every week.

Spot on!

I'm genuinely curious if the suicidal approach was because he basically freerolled though. The potential upline if he got away with it would have been absolutely massive, on several levels.

Regardless of intention, Ange is really growing on me and I would be buzzing if I supported Spurs.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Is anyone watching Atletico vs Celtic?
Celtic red card in 26th min, Played low blocks. Now scoreline is 6-0
If they played a highline people will postulate how a low block would have saved them from embarassment
Honestly, I don’t think Celtic are a good example to use in this case.

Joel Miller

Is anyone watching Atletico vs Celtic?
Celtic red card in 26th min, Played low blocks. Now scoreline is 6-0
If they played a highline people will postulate how a low block would have saved them from embarassment
Why are people still looking for excuses for the stupidity of that high line? No other manager would get this. Rodgers is Celtic’s manager, another one who doesn’t like to adapt and shut up shop hence he’s also had Celtic beaten 7-0 in the CL, and in fact I think he has the worst CL manager of any one who’s managed more than 20 games in the competition. If Atletico win their game in hand they’re in 3rd place and 3 points off top spot in La Liga. They’ve scored 26 goals in their league this season after 11 games.

Chelsea have played the same number of games as Atletico, they are 10th, 12 points off top spot and have scored 17 goals, 4 of those in that last game. So nearly a quarter of their goals for the season came in that one game. You can find examples of sides shutting up shop after red cards and either grinding out a result or narrowly losing. You won’t find many examples of a manager a couple of men down and continuing to press with a high line while getting anything from it, and shock horror, that’s why you don’t really see top managers do it.

evil_geko

But but I thought he came in and made Spurs play right away unlike ETH. :houllier: So many people were saying it's a new manager bounce/honeymoon period but some wouldn't listen.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
But but I thought he came in and made Spurs play right away unlike ETH. :houllier: So many people were saying it's a new manager bounce/honeymoon period but some wouldn't listen.
to be fair he’s had a load of injuries to contend with, unlike ten hag.

Barthez

Never saw the fuss over him. Good start but he’ll be out the door within 18 months. Not good enough for the top level

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Overrated. There's a reason why he's 58 and the biggest clubs he's managed are Celtic and Melbourne Victory

MrWilliams

I’ll give it until the end of the season before I make my decision.

A lot of hottakes already. A 6 min span was the difference between “a hard fought 0-1 away win” and “he’s just a fraud manager”.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

the_cliff

Let's see how he bounces back from this with the injuries he has. Shows context as to what we've been facing since the beginning of the season.

Every team in the top 4 barring City would struggle with the injuries we've had.

Guy Incognito

Many of us here said they would have a blip.

So much hype over his first ten games. Unless they strengthen that first XI they will struggle next season and Ange probably knows that.

Their next four games are tricky. Buckle up mate!

mu4c_20le

Let's see how he bounces back from this with the injuries he has. Shows context as to what we've been facing since the beginning of the season.

Every team in the top 4 barring City would struggle with the injuries we've had.
Hope he gets better. The guy is pushing 60.

Rojofiam

He's still a good manager but I'm happy that the crazy love-in will probably die down now

cj_sparky

They started the season with a lucky draw at Brentford, got at least 2 points more than they should have against us and should've lost to Sheffield United. They also got lucky with a howling VAR decision against Liverpool and winning with a last minute own goal against 9 men.

"Ange Ball" was well overplayed. Spurs have looked bang average, but results created a media hype.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

A lot of hottakes already. A 6 min span was the difference between “a hard fought 0-1 away win” and “he’s just a fraud manager”.
Yeah as always, people tend to veer to absolute extremes. Very little room for middle ground. I guess it’s also a case of those using Ange to bash EtH getting a little “payback” of sorts. Long way to go in the season yet.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Overrated. There's a reason why he's 58 and the biggest clubs he's managed are Celtic and Melbourne Victory
Yeah, I mean it's not like he was Australia manager for a bit or anything... :houllier:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They started the season with a lucky draw at Brentford, got at least 2 points more than they should have against us and should've lost to Sheffield United. They also got lucky with a howling VAR decision against Liverpool and winning with a last minute own goal against 9 men.

"Ange Ball" was well overplayed. Spurs have looked bang average, but results created a media hype.
Also worth remembering they had the rub of the green with some of those decisions going their way during that run (Liverpool’s offside goal, should’ve conceded a pen against us IMO etc).

cyberman

But Spurs have been many 5 minute spans from having results shit show this season as well. Spurs have been getting away with it for so, so long that it had to turn at some stage.

Rojofiam

That doesn't really mean much. Development is hardly linear even for coaches and it's not like you can make your way to the top from Australia as fast compared to starting off in Europe.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Some nonsense in here, was always obvious that the depth wasn't there but the way he's had us playing up until now has been unbelievable.

I was disappointed today however as he was uncharacteristically cautious with the starting line-up, we already know that the players of the previous regime aren't up to it.

Redstain

Some nonsense in here, was always obvious that the depth wasn't there but the way he's had us playing up until now has been unbelievable.

I was disappointed today however as he was uncharacteristically cautious with the starting line-up, we already know that the players of the previous regime aren't up to it.
I don't get it many hoping on his demise. The trial of any good manager is the ability to turn things around so how Tottenham adapt with two poor results and some injuries will really determine the quality of his management.