Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Telsim

Doing a good job so far, regardless. Spurs were just horrific last season. Their summer window will be interesting to see, and next season won't be a freebie for him. He will be expected to deliver according to their ambitions.

crossy1686

career ending
Lost Kane and spent over 200 million on shite it is what it is
Who of the same ability as Kane was available and wanted to come to Tottenham? People keep saying we should sell Rashford but the reality is we’d just end up doing the exact same thing with the money because a player that can score goals isn’t cheap and isn’t available.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Don't understand why so many people seem so bitter about Ange and Spurs.

By all accounts a great guy who's grafted his way to the top all the way from a footballing backwater. More than what can be said of most of his peers.

And yes Spurs won't win much but when have they ever? They historically aren't a huge club and don't have state money. Without either of which you really can't win anything in football anymore.
Yeah, that was my point.

SambaBoy

So when Ange has to deal with lots of injuries it's not his fault, but when Eric has to deal with a lot of injuries, he's a fraud.

When Son has a shit season, this excuses Ange, but when Rashford has shit season, Eric is a fraud.

And all that because he plays high line.
Incredible.
Son hasn't had a shit season under Ange.

The Ten Hag critics are on his back because he's in his second season - and it seems United are going backwards, with no discernible style of football implemented from the get-go. He did a good job last year in terms of winning a trophy and getting top four, but it's been a bit of a disaster second season for various reasons including the injuries.

Ange has come in and got Spurs playing an attractive style of football. He's not a miracle worker, he's had bad results and a few thrashings since he took over but he's already implemented a recognisable style of football within 8 months and it seems Spurs are going in the right direction. There isn't the toxicity that existed under Conte, plus the lost their best player in the summer so all in all he's done a good job so far. If this time next year, they have regressed then like Ten Hag at the moment, questions will be asked.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They lost arguably their best ever player (Kane) during the summer and came into this season with their 2nd best player (Son) having the worst season of his career at Spurs.
Harry Kane is nowhere near Spurs best ever player. He was a phenomenal player for them but there’s a bunch of players above him that played for the club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Harry Kane is nowhere near Spurs best ever player. He was a phenomenal player for them but there’s a bunch of players above him that played for the club.
Who is in that bunch do you think?

Gazza? Hoddle? Greaves?

There's absolutely players who hit higher heights than Kane has so far, but not at Spurs (Modric, Bale).

UnrelatedPsuedo

Who is in that bunch do you think?

Gazza? Hoddle? Greaves?

There's absolutely players who hit higher heights than Kane has so far, but not at Spurs (Modric, Bale).
The three you’ve listed with a question mark, absolutely. They were all better footballers and all won something at the club. Though I’d have Gazza behind the other pair.

That’s no slight on Kane. Obviously a great player, but the majority of Spurs fans won’t have him down as their best ever player.

Stadjer

Son hasn't had a shit season under Ange.

The Ten Hag critics are on his back because he's in his second season - and it seems United are going backwards, with no discernible style of football implemented from the get-go. He did a good job last year in terms of winning a trophy and getting top four, but it's been a bit of a disaster second season for various reasons including the injuries.

Ange has come in and got Spurs playing an attractive style of football. He's not a miracle worker, he's had bad results and a few thrashings since he took over but he's already implemented a recognisable style of football within 8 months and it seems Spurs are going in the right direction. There isn't the toxicity that existed under Conte, plus the lost their best player in the summer so all in all he's done a good job so far. If this time next year, they have regressed then like Ten Hag at the moment, questions will be asked.
Bit weird to read the claim that Son has a shit season :lol: 14 goals and 8 assists while also being a pressing maniac. Son is still one of the best forwards in the league. He would be our best forward if he signed for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I honestly couldn't give a feck about what Spurs are doing right now. As much as I respect Ange, he has his flaws and Spurs generally show a first season big bounce under their managers before it goes tits up. I'd rather see how Ange fares in the medium term than just this season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’s top 5 or 3, by default, I’d say.

Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Greaves and Gascoigne maybe above him outright with Hoddle and Dave Mackay jostling for position. Only Greaves has his longevity, and delivering over such a long period of time is massive. Kane and Greaves go straight into their all-time xi. Nowhere near doesn’t sound apt, especially at a club where trophies are so sparse.

Think I’d go with Kane 3rd behind the aforementioned at the opener of 2nd paragraph, with Greave #1; Hoddle and Gascoigne might have the talent, but not much backing it and much weaker over an extended period of time:

Raw talent:

1. Gascoigne
2. Blanchflower
3. Hoddle

then the rest, so not topping either type of listing for me, but not in another clear tier below that he can’t be discussed along side them.

Joel Miller

We're talking about collective. Spurs arent going to win anything or expected to win anything. Believing in your approach and winning 65% out of 100% while playing good football is better than being pragmatic and still losing 35%.

It's abit ironic laughing at him considering where we are at the moment
But it’s not though is it? Pragmatic managers have won silverware for smaller clubs than Spurs. If they ever want to rid themselves of that thing of being ridiculed for winning nothing then they might want to think about a bit more of a pragmatic approach.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Could have easily been a 4-0 spanking by Fulham. I think at the start of the season people predicted, and rightly so, that Spurs could be on the end of a few big defeats. Just did not think it would be to Fulham.

I think overall he is doing an ok job, they lost their best player and a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker in Kane. And are in the mix for top 4 without him, Son has looked so much better under Postecoglu compared to Conte. Even Richarlison had found some form before his injury.

When Kane left and Postecoglu came in I would have said about 8th-10th would be where they will finish. I did not think they would be competing for top 4, I guess technically they could tail off and out of the top four race, but atm they are well in the mix.

Fallon d'Floor

In your opinion. I did say arguably.

He's their all time leading goalscorer, came through their own Academy, and is the only one out of Greaves, Hoddle and him to have played in a European Cup/Champions League final.

If you don't think he is, that's fine. He's certainly the most influential player they've had in the 21st century. It was a huge blow to the club.

UnrelatedPsuedo

In your opinion. I did say arguably.

He's their all time leading goalscorer, came through their own Academy, and is the only one out of Greaves, Hoddle and him to have played in a European Cup/Champions League final.

If you don't think he is, that's fine. He's certainly the most influential player they've had in the 21st century. It was a huge blow to the club.
Yeah I was a little punchy. He’s definitely one of their best modern day players and among their best ever. He’s just a level below their absolute best I think.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The three you’ve listed with a question mark, absolutely. They were all better footballers and all won something at the club. Though I’d have Gazza behind the other pair.

That’s no slight on Kane. Obviously a great player, but the majority of Spurs fans won’t have him down as their best ever player.
Kane's longevity and consistency beat those three easily.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
The two things I credit him for is breaking the Spurs tendency to overly rely on a single great player. Plus the fact he is openly very ambitious. But people should stop pretending he has produced a revolutionary season.
One thing about Ange is that being manager of spurs is going to be his biggest job.

I know he has been my national teams manager and he did win us an Asian cup, but he took the long way and is managing one of the biggest clubs in England (and lets be real the world, spurs are a meme but they are a worldwide meme)

Man is doing what he has always done, try and play good attacking football with what he has.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
There were some fundamental problems with Ange's tactical approach to the game that the media just chose to completely ignore much of this season because they love a good narrative and the Big Amiable Aussie provided one.

-You can't invert both fullbacks and push them high up into the pockets without leaving yourself completely open to being done on the counter.
-You can't rely on out-hustling and manically tackling your opponent at the expense of defensive structure and have it last in the long run.
-Other PL managers are very smart and will figure you out eventually so you need to be able to play in multiple ways from match to match and within matches rather than just sticking to your "identity" no matter what.

All these points are really obvious when you think about them. And they are showing on the field, well before today. Spurs have a worse XG differential than last year, and they are miles worse than they were in Conte's first year (when they were genuinely good). Ange isn't going to last unless he changes.

Last edited:

Conor

There were some fundamental problems with Ange's tactical approach to the game that the media just chose to completely ignore much of this season because they love a good narrative and the Big Amiable Aussie provided one.

-You can't invert both fullbacks and push them high up into the pockets without leaving yourself completely open to being done on the counter.
-You can't rely on out-hustling and manically tackling your opponent at the expense of defensive structure and have it last in the long run.
-Other PL managers are very smart and will figure you out eventually so you need to be able to play in multiple ways from match to match and within matches rather than just sticking to your "identity" no matter what.

All these points are really obvious when you think about them. And they are showing on the field, well before today. Spurs have a worse XG differential than last year, and they are miles worse than they were in Conte's first year (when they were generally good). Ange isn't going to last unless he changes.
It was quite obvious as well from early on, it is basically a kamikaze approach, no idea why people were talking like he was some messiah.