Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Imagine if he's unveiled with any number other than 7...

Muppet overdrive!
There's a pic doing the rounds last night of him holding the number 7 shirt. Not sure if it was fake or not, but you can find it in the timeline of @manutdreport

Scratch that, it's fake. He'll still be number 7 though.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Its true for both. Many Argentinian players are of Italian descent and there's also a large number of Brazilians as well who share these ties to Italy. The name Di Maria is itself Italian. Spanish would be 'De' not 'Di' which is Italian.
Yeah it goes back to the Mussolini era where he wanted to use football as a means to rise to and consolidate power. They had a policy of 'oriundi' whereby they poached foreign players and nationalized them as Italians. They did this to Argentinian players Luisito Monti, Raimundo Orsi and Enrico Guaita. In fact Argentina in 1934 sent a weak team to the world cup in Italy, in fear of Italy poaching their best players. Italy won the World Cup that year rather controversially. However, after 1966 they stopped this policy due to an abysmal performance in the tournament and banned foreign players in the Italian league till 1980. The most recent Argentinian oriundi case is Camoranesi who won the world cup with Italy in 2006.

List of oriundi players
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriundo

Not sure if Di Maria is related to this but sure there must be a link somewhere with his relative or something.

Can you verify @Marcosdeto. You did make a post about Di Maria being your brother and that you are now responsible for him didn't you ;)

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Given that Perez needed to offload a non EU player according to reports (linking them to Falcao), this may be untrue.

Iron Stove

Yeah it goes back to the Mussolini era where he wanted to use football as a means to rise to and consolidate power. They had a policy of 'oriundi' whereby they poached foreign players and nationalized them as Italians. They did this to Argentinian players Luisito Monti, Raimundo Orsi and Enrico Guaita. In fact Argentina in 1934 sent a weak team to the world cup in Italy, in fear of Italy poaching their best players. Italy won the World Cup that year rather controversially. However, after 1966 they stopped this policy due to an abysmal performance in the tournament and banned foreign players in the Italian league till 1980. The most recent Argentinian oriundi case is Camoranesi who won the world cup with Italy in 2006.

List of oriundi players
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriundo

Not sure if Di Maria is related to this but sure there must be a link somewhere with his relative or something.

Can you verify @Marcosdeto. You did make a post about Di Maria being your brother and that you are now responsible for him didn't you ;)
That's honestly very interesting. But the simple reason is that many Italians emigrated to Argentina back in the day so players can claim that a grandfather or such was Italian and get an Italian passport. Some have been accused to have done so fraudulently though, like Veron which was a big reason for him moving to United incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Argentine

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If Di Maria finds himself in as many 1v1 situation Valencia has done over the last 2 years we are going to score plenty of goals. Can't wait

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That's honestly very interesting. But the simple reason is that many Italians emigrated to Argentina back in the day so players can claim that a grandfather or such was Italian and get an Italian passport. Some have been accused to have done so fraudulently though, like Veron which was a big reason for him moving to United incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Argentine
Thanks for that piece of info, didn't know it stretched back all the way to the 17th century. Thought it was a 20th century phenomenon or something.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'm intrigued as to how we will line up, where Di Maria will fit in and who's dropped.

He injects some pace into a side that's badly, badly lacking in that aspect.

Not to mention the whole world class-thing as well, which is nice.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
If we play him at wing back it would simply be a criminal offence.
I think we'll switch to a 4-3-3.

Van Gaal said he didn't think we had good enough wingers to play that formation. Now we are significantly better in that department.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To be fair, if at the start of the summer you offered me Rojo, Shaw, Herrera and Di Maria I would have snapped your hand off. It's hard not to want even more though, hopefully a good deep-lying midfielder.
And yet still people will criticise Woodward!

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Which is strange given his shooting accuracy is 43%...

Not sure how those stats tie together?
Two different things. 43.1% shot accuracy and 44 shots on target means he took 102 total shots at goal, out of those 44 were on target. So that's 43.1%. Of the 44 on target, 22 resulted in goal. So that won't be a 'shot accuracy', but conversion rate for shots on target.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Out of 100 shots Bale has 43 of them are on target.
21.5 or those 43 shots result in a goal, the other 21.5 are saved by the keeper
Two different things. 43.1% shot accuracy and 44 shots on target means he took 102 total shots at goal, out of those 44 were on target. So that's 43.1%. Of the 44 on target, 22 resulted in goal. So that won't be a 'shot accuracy', but conversion rate for shots on target.
Yep - my mistake!

saivet

Anyone read it?

He does follow up with this

Kag

And yet still people will criticise Woodward!
Indeed. Ideally this would all have been completed earlier, before the season started, but we are strengthening exactly where we need to.

At the end of last season I was of the belief we needed a centre half, two central midfielders, a wide man and a left back - two if Evra was to leave, which he has.

We've bought four of those. Now we need that extra midfielder. A utility man like Blind would also be a good asset. We've left it late, but if we can get that midfielder in we'll have had a tremendous summer.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Neat infographic of Di Maria's stats from last season compared to other expensive buys
And yet he apparently is overpriced... Yes, the money is insane but in comparison to the rest of today's market you could argue that the price is right.
Di Maria, come on down!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm glad we're getting someone whose main attribute is creating chances on his own. Basically, this transfer can't go wrong (I don’t expect him to replicate his last season with our current squad, but still).

Castia

Our wingers along with the midfield as been one of our major complaints for the past 2 years, Nani, Valencia and Young have been garbage, all 3 shouldn't be anywhere near our club imo. We go and and get one of the best wingers in the world and everybody is acting like its a panic buy, I don't get it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Anyone read it?

He does follow up with this

He could have a point to some extent but most of it is nonsense. We have a good team and Di Maria will add something that we have severely lacked for a while. All that separates us from having a world class side at the minute is the lack of a midfielder who is capable defensively, add one and we can go on to win trophies. If we fail to address that issue we are not making top 4.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Our wingers along with the midfield as been one of our major complaints for the past 2 years, Nani, Valencia and Young have been garbage, all 3 shouldn't be anywhere near our club imo. We go and and get one of the best wingers in the world and everybody is acting like its a panic buy, I don't get it.
We have relied on our wingers forever and none of the current crop are good enough aside from Januzaj who is still very inconsistent. It will be a massive difference.

itso 7

So am I and I think our forward line would benefit from having someone like him in the side, now if we dump the 3-5-2 and bring Januzaj in not many defenses would be able to handle such a varied mix of skill, vision, pace and goal threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.