4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

Not sure how I feel about him playing deeper.
I too wanted him upfront more often, but he I felt had problems with passiveness. In this deeper role, he's been great.

I do think he needs to improve his passing slightly, but he's an impressive CM prospect. He's hard to dispossess, can drive the ball forward, can pass between the lines, and can create from deep. I think he's better at what I just listed over our other midfield prospects and that's due to his exceptional technique. For example, I like Garner over the other midfielders as he's a great passer and does his defensive work, but I think Gomes is better at getting the opposition to ease on their intensity of pressing because he's harder to make panic under pressure.

Looks like he's officially part of the first team now - did anyone else see his iniation video? :lol:

Bwuk

Where do we think he’ll play for the senior side when given game time - outwide?

We have a lot of midfield depth.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Where do we think he’ll play for the senior side when given game time - outwide?

We have a lot of midfield depth.
If we play a 4-2-3-1 he could play as the #10, or as one of the advanced play makers in a midfield 3.

Bwuk

If we play a 4-2-3-1 he could play as the #10, or as one of the advanced play makers in a midfield 3.
Be very surprised if we gave him the responsibility as the #10. Im guessing his minutes will most likely come off the right?

FromTheBench

Not sure how hell cope physically tbh. But he's talented on other counts.

Not one to throw straight in I suppose.

AltiUn

Be very surprised if we gave him the responsibility as the #10. Im guessing his minutes will most likely come off the right?
Possibly. He's best when he's very involved in a match, which he might not be out wide.

Based Adnan

With the travelling squad for Cardiff. Bit surprising considering he played vs Derby but there you go.

AltiUn

With the travelling squad for Cardiff. Bit surprising considering he played vs Derby but there you go.
Because he only payed last night he probably won't make the 18, but I think Ole is just showing the younger players that he isn't all talk. We have some "easy" home fixtures coming up, they'll be the best games to blood the younger players in.

RedCurry

If we're leading by a couple of goals, I bet he'll be given five minutes or so. Ole would know how to play the crowd.

Oldyella

Wouldnt be surprised if they are not involved, but we see a few kids in each match day squad to get them in and around the squad. Good idea imo.

Loublaze

ATLien
Butt mentioned how he likes to play Gomes in the pivot role, and how everyone assumes Gomes is only an attacker. Has he impressed in that role in the youth ranks?

In Rainbows

Butt mentioned how he likes to play Gomes in the pivot role, and how everyone assumes Gomes is only an attacker. Has he impressed in that role in the youth ranks?
Yeah, but he's only played there for the u19s

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Im watching those videos. He looks pretty impressive and comfortable in that role, looks a natural leader.
Yeah, the way he just dribbles past players or so quick in tight spaces is superb to watch. Also his passing range looks very good.

In Rainbows

Yeah, the way he just dribbles past players or so quick in tight spaces is superb to watch. Also his passing range looks very good.
Yeah if were to just compare attributes to Scholes, he doesn't quite have the quality of general passing as Scholes, but is a better dribbler. Doesn't have the rocket shot Scholes has either. Gomes is really someone you can trust to retain possession and be comfortable with the ball even if he's in line with the defense.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I do worry about him physically at the moment. He will have to vastly improve at protecting the ball if he's to get regular minutes at the moment.
I do love the fact that so many of his managers at both club and international level, like to make him captain. Shows he doesn't shy away from responsibility.

Kostov

Play the kid for feck sake, give him a chance and we have our own Jadon Sancho, just playing at number 10. :devil:

On a serious note, why not? We have Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard in those roles, it's not like we have some undisputed quality playing there.

Thiagoal

I do worry about him physically at the moment. He will have to vastly improve at protecting the ball if he's to get regular minutes at the moment.
I do love the fact that so many of his managers at both club and international level, like to make him captain. Shows he doesn't shy away from responsibility.
I think too much is made of the physique of players like Angel! His skill set is receiving the ball and recycling it quickly. He's also got quick feet which enables him to evade players and create space for himself! Players like David Silva, Iniesta etc rarely get into situations that require them to use their physicality. Additionally, I think he's a lot stronger than people perceive him to be! Show me clips where in the U23's he's constantly been shoved off the ball; I don't remember seeing many examples

RC89

I think too much is made of the physique of players like Angel! His skill set is receiving the ball and recycling it quickly. He's also got quick feet which enables him to evade players and create space for himself! Players like David Silva, Iniesta etc rarely get into situations that require them to use their physicality. Additionally, I think he's a lot stronger than people perceive him to be! Show me clips where in the U23's he's constantly been shoved off the ball; I don't remember seeing many examples
Agree with all of this. He's not a CB. He's a creative and this whole too small myth has been debunked. This isn't the 90s anymore.

Adisa

I'm not feeding I to the stereotype about physique. David Silva, Isco etc are incredibly hard to disposes, even when they hold on to the ball. They are fantastic at using their low centre of gravity at shielding the ball from the marker. I have not seen Gomes enough to know if he has that ability. Or if he has enough of that ability now to protect him from EPL players, considering he'll get little protection from refs.
If he's going to play as a midfielder in an attacking team, he'll need to be able to use his incredible technique in condensed spaces, turn his marker and create. He has to be able to hold the ball.
As I said, I've barely watched him and would like to know if people who want him him regularly think he's ready in that aspect. Cause if he is, I'd like to see him play as much as possible. Our midfield is dying for a player with his creativity.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah if were to just compare attributes to Scholes, he doesn't quite have the quality of general passing as Scholes, but is a better dribbler. Doesn't have the rocket shot Scholes has either. Gomes is really someone you can trust to retain possession and be comfortable with the ball even if he's in line with the defense.
No wonder it was Barca who’s always seemingly been most interested in him.

mewnew11

Angel gomes is our David Silva. I can't wait for this guy to dictate games and open up defences.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It does make you wonder.
At what level would some of these talents be at if they were given an opportunity in the first team.

Gomes for example, captained and helped win the u17 world cup last year.
He played alongside Foden, Brewster and Sancho.

Foden is being talked up as being a superstar but isn't getting a look in.
Sancho took a risk, moved to Dortmund and is now being talked up as a 100m player
Gomes may get his chance in the coming days.

But what if Foden left for Dortmund, what if Gomes left for them to.

Football is obviously about Ifs and Buts, but England doesn't really trust these players.

Ekeke

It does make you wonder.
At what level would some of these talents be at if they were given an opportunity in the first team.

Gomes for example, captained and helped win the u17 world cup last year.
He played alongside Foden, Brewster and Sancho.

Foden is being talked up as being a superstar but isn't getting a look in.
Sancho took a risk, moved to Dortmund and is now being talked up as a 100m player
Gomes may get his chance in the coming days.

But what if Foden left for Dortmund, what if Gomes left for them to.

Football is obviously about Ifs and Buts, but England doesn't really trust these players.
You mean the big clubs dont. Dortmund dont have the same finances as the big clubs in the premier league, they have to take some chances. And its not like he was there to be a first team starter. He just took his chances off the bench

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
You mean the big clubs dont. Dortmund dont have the same finances as the big clubs in the premier league, they have to take some chances. And its not like he was there to be a first team starter. He just took his chances off the bench
He's took the chances he's been given though.
I know it's all to do with money. Big clubs in England especially, we have no time or place for these players mostly as the demand is so high.
It's just such a shame, considering how well all the English sides did in their world cups.

Adisa

Think that is simplistic. Dortmund gave him a clear path to getting regular game time. That is why he went there. Look at Gomes for example. Think you'd be stretching it to say he's been given a chance.

Classical Mechanic

Think that is simplistic. Dortmund gave him a clear path to getting regular game time. That is why he went there. Look at Gomes for example. Think you'd be stretching it to say he's been given a chance.
He's in the travelling squad with Garner for tomorrows game. He might get a chance under Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.